Here Or There?

This is just my view.

I love our country pero I struggled for years before I ultimately made the decision to migrate to the States. I just felt then that I had reached the point where I had put all my time and resources for my country pero the government, by its failure to curb corruption and continued failure to maintain a stable political and economic environment, kept letting me down. It's been 20 years since the Marcoses left. A lot of countries have achieved a lot of progress during that same period. Tayo, inspite of the supposedly positive GNP/GDP growth rates and "favorable" exchange rates, have not really moved much forward. Let's ignore the numbers for a second and look at the quality of life of the people around us. Has there been a marked improvement in the people's lives? Has there been a significant uplift in the people's sentiments regarding the government? I don't think so. The economic figures may say that the economy is running. But then, it's running pretty much in place. Generally, the ones who are still optimistic are the ones who can afford to do so. For the ones who are teetering between life and death, whether to migrate or not is a non-issue.

We, as citizens, can make all the contributions we want pero nationhood is a 2-way contract between the government and its citizens. No matter how hard the citizens work, if the government stays corrupt and ineffective and the economy continues to be controlled by the same groups of families who promote nothing but their self-interests, then everything's for naught.

here...i know that the situation in our country is apalling and distressing, but hey it's for us to see opportunity amidst hopelessness. Even USA has its own corruption, and if i'm not mistaken i know UNICEF discovered a scam.

also, i still have reasons to stay here...it's not that easy and not that worth leaving behind. maybe if i'm running from something i would :)

Leave and migrate?

Maybe to leave the country if assigned abroad on company expense, but to migrate? no way.

I have discussed a lot and debated with a lot of people when they say that they are leaving because of the "corrupt govenment." Come on now. So what if the government is corrupt. Let me give you a piece of advise: CORRUPTION IS EVERYWHERE. Even in the US.

Please please please, if you are going to leave and migrate, then be honest: you are doing it because of better opportunities or greener pastures.

I understand why a lot of pinoys migrate to other countries. At the same time, I admire those who choose not to migrate and stay in the country.

I choose not to migrate because I believe that I can contribute to the betterment of the country. I believe that if the educated and the motivated pinoys decide to migrate then there is really no chance for the country to improve.

I still have hope for our country. I believe that in we can improve the country for just being good and responsible citizens. We don't need to be like Jose Rizal or Ninoy Aquino to change the country for the better but we need to convert love of country in our daily activities.

GO PHILIPPINES!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley: B)

let's be honest and not be hypocrite... most of the people who leave Pinas just want to have a better life, that's all... kc naman there's very little opportunity sa Pinas... yung mga sinuwerte, nasa Pinas pa rin... good for them... pag may pera ka or business, sa Pinas ka... kung wala, better look somewhere else...

If you had the option, would you leave the Philippines and move to another country? Why would you?  Of course, that would mean leaving all your friends, your family, your career, and if you have, your significant other behind...
yeah, i would...

pero siguro, kapag mejo matanda na ako..

balik na ako sa pinas.. ;D

• 1 month later...

There were a lot of options for me to leave the country but then I don't want to. I belive I can make my dreams here and I believe it. I always wonder why do chinese and indian immigrants want to settle here when the natural-born Filipinos are going outside. How come the taipans in our country got to be rich when most started from nothing like the Sy of SM City? The fellow chinese filipino being discriminated against doesn't have much of an opportunity before yet they built their own opportunities and made their own fortunes. Why should I believe riches are in the far shores when our own shores are rich? What's the difference of the rich now? Nothing. They are as flesh and blood like us. Their only difference is they believe they can and they did.

Unfortunately, yes. It is a sad, sad state of affairs that many of us consider leaving for abroad not as a last resort (as in other countries) but as a primary option. I remember hearing of a UP professor (or dean, I forget) telling his most recent crop of graduates, "Hindi namin kayo tinuruan para i-export!"

But sadly, this is where a lot of our brilliant country-men are headed because of the unstable political and economic situation, the insatiably corrupt government and the unfair practices in our own country. I remember reading an article in the opinion columns of the Philippine Daily Inquirer where the author (I believe it was former Justice Isagani Cruz, my apologies if I'm wrong) was relating his encounter with a Filipino chef abroad whose culinary creation the author was enjoying. Imagine his surprise when he learned that here in our own country, he could not aspire to be more than be the bodyguard of some member of the House of Representatives! As the columnist wrote, "What a waste of talent."

I was in the United States sometime ago and was seriously considering staying there for good. As fate would have it, I decided against such a move because I felt I couldn't leave everything I've known all my life just yet. So I decided to come back to the Philippines. Thing is, even while I was still in the airport, I was already thinking, "what the hell am I doing?"

have plans of migrating... been working overseas for the past few years and hopefully, i'll have the chance to really settle and migrate!

syempre i still have hope sa pinas... may mag lead lang na matino sa atin, i'll definitely be willing to be a part in the making of a rich and prosperous philippines!

i'm here already in the states....and siguro i'll be here permanently. Not because I don't want to live in the Phil pero my health seemed to have improved a lot here kasi walang pollution. I can always go for vacation naman although i admit i really missed the typical beauty of pinays. I still love pinays in the Phils.