Joey_Jeremiah, the traffic in the area is increasing, specially once Serendra gets built. The questions are:

1.) Where are you going to situate your bar/resto?

2.) What is your concept/gimmick to attract customers?

3.) What is your ideal RoI and profit margin?

Not to discourage you, but without a really good concept or gimmick, the chances for a long-lasting bar/resto isn't that good. Of course, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the responses!

1. greenbelt comes to mind, where there is a high amount of traffic. somewhere located near other high-end bar/restos. this is in-line with focusing on our target market.

2. still under development

3. have not worked on the financials yet, b/c i'm still trying to gather more information on the industry there. trying to understand what works over there, what hasn't, trends and patterns over the years, and of course, the financial history of what others are earning (at least an idea). ideally, i'd like to make my money back within 3 years to turn it over into another one and continue to grow every 3-5 years.

Php10M is a number that i've heard before when starting one up. would this be just to start it up? is this just the downpayment for a loan? what investments/expenses are associated with the 10m?

Greenbelt has reached pretty much near saturation point.

The good news is that there is an existing market.

The bad news is that you'll have to compete with other resto/bars.

RoI in 3 years? Can be done, though Php10M is pretty small considering:

1.) Rental (of place), Ayala likes to charge fairly high.

2.) Renovation (including sound system, lighting, etc.)

3.) Staff salaries & training. Yes its easy to get idiot waiters here in the Philippines, but to get effective ones takes a LOT of effort.

4.) Launching Party - To be effective, you've got to get a good marketing crew. I was in the club biz for about 10 years. All I had to show for it was ulcers.

Hope this helps.

Greenbelt has reached pretty much near saturation point.

The good news is that there is an existing market.

The bad news is that you'll have to compete with other resto/bars.

RoI in 3 years? Can be done, though Php10M is pretty small considering:

1.) Rental (of place), Ayala likes to charge fairly high.

2.) Renovation (including sound system, lighting, etc.)

3.) Staff salaries & training. Yes its easy to get idiot waiters here in the Philippines, but to get effective ones takes a LOT of effort.

4.) Launching Party - To be effective, you've got to get a good marketing crew. I was in the club biz for about 10 years. All I had to show for it was ulcers.

Hope this helps.

if P10M is not a lot, what would be a more appropriate amount? how much would be allocated to rent, staff, renovations, etc?

10M is a lot if it were say in Pasig (not Ortigas Center) or QC (not T. Morato / Timog area). But Ayala is notorious for high rentals and all sorts of strict conditions.

Also the size of the place is a good consideration. If it were a pure restaurant, I'd say 1 waiter for every 8 tables you put in initially. Hire extras during peak days. But as a bar (if successful), the ratio goes down to 1 waiter per 5 tables (+ extras during peak days). Add in your receptionist, cashier, bartender/s, cooks, chef, accountant, bookkeeper, storekeeper, maintenance, janitors, marketing personnel, etc. etc.

Of course it would be so much easier if you had a concept/gimmick in mind already.

Whatever business you put up,very important ang marketing.Be accessible to 1 billion people everyday.Get your own website.

Just visit (www.my.ws then type oliver1013 on the access code) fill in the space provided then watch the flash presentation.Then decide if you want to be a part.If you have any questions our group here in manila has all the answers, and is very willing to share it with our team members people online everyday.

for entrepreneurs, who are interested in getting into around 10-15 seater call centers or MT business, i have a place for rent with complete licensed microsoft xp computers (16 units), internet access, 3 ton cabinet type aircon, tables and chairs (comfortable) in paranaque area. the area is in a building with easy public access. the space is around 50 70 sqms.

please pm me if you need more details....

:) guys we are going to open a travel agency by December 2005, if you have ticketing needs local and abroad, tours and packages, etc. you can pm me for details. by December we shall also be putting up immigration consultancy for nurses bound for new zealand, i'll will be posting details soon. thank you. :cool:

Anybody:

Who can provide some information regarding opening up a small boosktore, particularly

technical books (I.T. related, electronics) ... anything to advise? Would it be advisable to have them

online? (similar to Ebay?) Do you know any success stories whose into this kind of business?

Im really trying to pursue those hard to find books...

Also Im also trying to find more information regarding taking on software development on a small

commercial level.... any information or advise will be of great help thanks!

Anybody:

Who can provide some information regarding opening up a small boosktore, particularly

technical books (I.T. related, electronics) ... anything to advise?  Would it be advisable to have them

online?  (similar to Ebay?)  Do you know any success stories whose into this kind of business?

Im really trying to pursue those hard to find books...

Also Im also trying to find more information regarding taking on software development on a small

commercial level.... any information or advise will be of great help thanks!

Dude you idea is very BOLD...i mean it's good...but make sure you have a good feasibility on that...you need to know who is you target market...do you want to go local or international...you need to know those kinds of stuff...anyways goodluck to your endeavor :cool:

10 million is to cover up all expenses, but with little buffer margin to start. you dont have to start with big and expensive systems, heck one bar i knew started out with a simple cd component with the speakers just spread in the main room. if your going to put a bar, you should think of the concept first, and think of something creative and unique, something manila doesn't have yet and think of at least 3 or 4 concepts that you can change over time, bec people here gets tired pretty quick of the same concept over and over again. bars here live 2-3 years only, others closed down and open up again with anew name, new concept but with same owner and management. after you gather all the infos, decide on the location last because this is the tricky part, there is a time trend for hottest location, as i have observed it goes hottest from malate to greenhills to makati to timog to pasig then to malate again then libis then back to pasig again. and the location will tell you what gimmiks to offer aside from your usual concept bar and band.

just my two cents in

10 million is to cover up all expenses, but with little buffer margin to start. you dont have to start with big and expensive systems, heck one bar i knew started out with a simple cd component with the speakers just spread in the main room. if your going to put a bar, you should think of the concept first, and think of something creative and unique, something manila doesn't have yet and think of at least 3 or 4 concepts that you can change over time, bec people here gets tired pretty quick of the same concept over and over again. bars here live 2-3 years only, others closed down and open up again with anew name, new concept but with same owner and management. after you gather all the infos, decide on the location last because this is the tricky part, there is a time trend for hottest location, as i have observed it goes hottest from malate to greenhills to makati to timog to pasig then to malate again then libis then back to pasig again. and the location will tell you what gimmiks to offer aside from your usual concept bar and band.

just my two cents in

rickyv is definitely correct about the lifespan of bars/resto in Metro Manila. When you factor in your initial investment, you've to calculate at least 3 months worth of running expenses (electricity, supplies, water, phone, salaries, others). This is to ensure that you've got the capital for operations for the initial period. After you come up with your concept list, arrange them in order, that way you have an idea what order you'd like to "use" them. On the other hand, location is really the bitchiest thing to figure out.

rickyv is definitely correct about the lifespan of bars/resto in Metro Manila. When you factor in your initial investment, you've to calculate at least 3 months worth of running expenses (electricity, supplies, water, phone, salaries, others). This is to ensure that you've got the capital for operations for the initial period. After you come up with your concept list, arrange them in order, that way you have an idea what order you'd like to "use" them. On the other hand, location is really the bitchiest thing to figure out.

what about the high-end places? is the industry just as fickle when it comes to location?

In any resto/bar, marketing & gimmicks to attract the clientele helps determine the lifespan of your place.

As an example, a few years ago, a discotheque named Mas-Y-Mas was opened in the walls of Intramuros, it served the same clientele that other discotheques (mostly in Makati such as Mars, Euphoria, Orange) were serving. It closed down shortly after 18 months because of that same fact. Unlike Mars (12 years), Euphoria (10 years), Faces (10 years), or Equinox (12 years). So yes, location matters.

FYI, the longest life bar in manila history would be the Coco Banana (15 years).

By the way, when you say resto/bar, what kind of place are we talking about? Pier 1 is a resto/bar but isn't quite in the same league as Venecia (before). Metrowalk has lots of restaurants that add bar components but are technically restaurants w/ small bars. Malate has the reverse, bars w/ food. All of these places sort of fall under the category of resto/bar.

By the way, when you say resto/bar, what kind of place are we talking about? Pier 1 is a resto/bar but isn't quite in the same league as Venecia (before). Metrowalk has lots of restaurants that add bar components but are technically restaurants w/ small bars. Malate has the reverse, bars w/ food. All of these places sort of fall under the category of resto/bar.

i'm actually thinking more along the lines of a bar that serves food, but has a fine dining menu--catering to the high-end crowd (tourists, businesses, a-crowd). there would also be a delivery and catering service along with it. something that would make money 24x7 (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late evening drinks).

what do you think? no real gimmick to it yet...still thinking of something unique right now, until all the money is pooled together. probably not for another year or 2.

So its a bar with good quality bar-chow. Adding a fine dining menu might just complicate things. Tell you what Joey_Jeremiah, go take a look at several bars that YOU and YOUR associates find interesting. Ask yourself and your friends "what kind of bar would I (or my target market) go to?" Pool all the info together and it might help you figure things out.

Hello to the Entrepreneurs here! ;-)

Not exactly the appropriate thread ... who knows. ;-P

Should you have a need for an SMS/text-based application software or know of someone/companies interested in such, I am just a PM away. ;-) I am an independent reseller for the product ... we can work on some kind of referral fee (on a closed sale). ;-P

Hey, we don't know everyone ... this is where the 6th degree of separation comes into play ... ;-)