What's The Greatest Rock Band For You?

joeyjay

Every time I listen to "Balita" takes me back to that era of uncertainty and unfulfilled promises.  A crossroad where Ferdie took the wrong turn. Really a sad song. 

The female lead vocalist is magical. I have never seen her, but I love her voice. I wish there were more songs with her singing.

Lolita Carbon is her name. I think she still does the occasional folk club circuit (if there still is one)

I definitely agree. ASIN was a band with soul, singing about issues nobody wanted to talk about back then. Saro took a bullet for what he believed in, and his death was a black day for Pinoy music.

MTC people who did the NGO scene would probably agree that acts like Buklod, Jess Santiago, Grupong Pendong and others kept the musician-as-activist fire burning, but ASIN let the fire rage.

But if hedonism was your thing, then Juan de la Cruz was kick-ass in its own right. :cool:

ASIN's "Pagbabalik" became the unofficial hymm of expats around the world who never looked away from where they came from. Easily classified as "folk" in the Philippines, it never cease to surprise me how my German, American and Korean friends get hooked on the kundiman-like riff and native musical instruments, but argues that it is rock and roll, given by the soulful weil of lyrics they can't understand.

Although a reunion of ASIN is impossible, with the murder of Caesar "Saro" Bañares,Jr. in a club in Cotabato (ironically), their song still echoes the truth of the current situation in the Phils, from when the songs were created (late 70's), up to now, few, if any, changed.

Crap. Anyone ever heard of the band Maria Carpa? I guess they are the "Deep Purple" of the Philippines... Okay, the first Philippine heavy-metal-glam-rock band. :lol:

Guest batabatuta

Eraseheads.........classic lahat ng mga releases nila

Rivermaya (The old one with Bamboo) ..... the only pinoy band the could rival the E-heads during those days...Hayop talaga sa galing

Siakol.....galeng nung unang album....sayang di na najustify nung pangalawa

Juan de la Cruz Band......The Godfathers of Pinoy Rock

There is ROCK 2 METAL in Shaw Blvd., in Mandaluyong, malapit sa sabungan, astig ang mga tumutugtog doon, the likes of Wuds, Dahongpalay, Chicosci, Urbandub, Skychurch and many other underground bands.

Its nice to know na may mga rockers din pala sa MTC!!!  :cool:

Yeah!!! ROCK ON!!! \m/

Pare tagal na nagsara ng Rock2metal. Kasama pa kami sa mga huling 2mugtog dun...nakakalungkot.

maraming unheard of pero magagaling na bands:

Comet's Tale, Corner Stone: you can hear tales of these legends sa UST.

Giniling Festival, Delta Joy, The Brew, Death by Tampon, Chiaroscuro, Kiko Machine at marami pa... : UP Diliman based bands who do gigs from State U to Mayrics, Metro Manila and even out of towns. Too bad there's very little space for great talents here in the Philippines but eventually one or two of these bands will make it out big in the future. Pinapatay kasi ng foreign market ang music industry dito. If you hear about gigs kahit underground and you have the time manood kayo ng manood. the gigs don't ask that much for tickets pambawi lang yun ng mga organizers para makapagpatugtog ulit. it's hard to be a musician here so let's support them whenever we can.

Drama ko no? Frustrations and angsts of a muscian lang, pagpasensyahan nyo na.