What's The Greatest Rock Band For You?

joeyjay

Nakita ko sa MSN a while ago... wheeww!!! Maraming ala-alang bumalik sa akin ah!!!

Kurt Cobain 10 years later: What's in a name?

Like few of his generation, Kurt Cobain produced music that is still with us, 10 years after his suicide on April 5, 1994. Short-lived as the promise of "grunge" was, and disposable as much of the hit music of the '90s was no doubt intended to be, the songs of Nirvana's reluctant titan can still be found roaring out of our music collections and radios alike, with as much potency as they revealed on first listen. His songs point to a future that wasn't to be: At the height of the popularity of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Kurt quietly admitted in interviews to loving The Beatles' "Rubber Soul," and still later, that "Pennyroyal Tea" from "In Utero" was a glimpse of where the budding songsmith was heading. Though his life ended with those paths untaken, his sound came to define a legion of copy-cat bands and wannabes still in evidence today.

And while in pictures his youth is forever frozen in time, like the photos of Bruce Lee eternally in his prime, Cobain's songs show no signs of becoming dated. Kurt Cobain's name evokes no mere cult of personality, or thin tragedy of youthful brilliance lost, but the unlikely, towering musical legacy of a career that spanned a handful of CDs.

The Essential Kurt Cobain

Album: "Nevermind"

This is the sound of a band hitting its stride. "Bleach" was a good hard-rock record, but Nirvana's 1991 slab of raging rock was a modern punk masterpiece, a revelation that sounds as vital today as it did 13 years ago. Of the record's dozen songs, there's not a weak track in the bunch. From "Teen Spirit" to "Something in the Way," every song is a classic.

Book: "Heavier Than Heaven"

Cobain's biography by Seattle music writer Charles Cross was written with unfettered access to Kurt's personal journals, and the result is a meticulously researched and compulsively readable tome. Kurt's life, death and heroin addiction make for a lonely affair, but the book is accurate and fair and remains the definitive Cobain bio.

Video: "Kurt and Courtney"

Nick Broomfield's 1998 documentary about Kurt's relationship with Courtney Love is weighed down slightly by conspiracy theory and sensationalism, but the outcome ends up a compelling piece of cinema. Made without Love's cooperation (which much of the film details), the film contains not a single Nirvana song, yet still manages to completely suck viewers into the mad, mad world that surrounded the first family of grunge.

Biography

Lead singer and guitarist of Nirvana, Kurt Cobain's musical success began in his 20s, and was heightened when he formed the band Nirvana. Hits such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come as You Are" and "Heart Shaped Box" helped the group achieve international success.

Kurt Cobain was born in Aberdeen, Washington. Hyperactive as a youngster, he was given Ritalin to help him concentrate in school and sedatives to help him sleep at night. At the age of seven, his parents got divorced. He became so difficult to live with that his parents sent him to live with relatives. This period in his life is reflected in songs such as "Sliver." With a dislike for school, Kurt Cobain spent his time painting and singing. He listened to the Beatles and the Monkees, but changed to bands such as Kiss, Black Sabbath, the Sex Pistols and the Clash in 1979.

On his 14th birthday Kurt Cobain bought his first guitar and started experimenting with different musical styles. He also was a roadie for a Seattle group called the Melvins. He dropped out of high school a few weeks before graduation to get a job, but his efforts were unsuccessful because he couldn't hold a job for very long.

In 1986 the group Nirvana was formed with Kurt Cobain on vocals and guitar, Krist Novaselic on bass-guitar and various drummers. Their first album, Bleach, was released in 1989. They toured the U.S. and had their first international concert in Newcastle, England. Their second single was unsuccessful so they changed record companies. After signing with Geffen Records in 1991, and adding permanent drummer Dave Grohl, they produced their second album, Nevermind, which received rave reviews with hits "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come as You Are" and "Something in the Way." Their popularity grew after the group made appearances on MTV's Headbanger's Ball and NBC's Saturday Night Live.

The success of the band was intimidating to Kurt Cobain who liked the intimate setting of nightclubs; it was the money that guided them to do concerts and shows in the rock arena.

It was in the early '90s that Kurt Cobain began doing heavy drugs such as morphine and heroin, but in 1992 his personal life brightened as he married Courtney Love in Hawaii, and their union brought a daughter, Frances Bean. With a wife and daughter, Kurt Cobain calmed a bit and the group produced the album, Incesticide.

Things took a turn for the worse in 1993 when Kurt Cobain overdosed on heroin. After seeking rehabilitation for a time in a center, he left without completing the program. During this time the band played on. In 1993 they released In Utero, their last studio-recorded album. Nirvana played an MTV unplugged concert and a concert in Munich in 1994. One week after the concert in Munich, Kurt Cobain was hospitalized in a coma. After waking up and leaving voluntarily, he was reported missing and was found three days later in his house, dead of a gunshot wound.

As a rock legend, Kurt Cobain reached a demise similar to that of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison. The songs and albums of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana will continue to influence and encourage many young musicians.

Yung mga naghahanap ng banda, I'm planning to form one kaso later this year pa. Kaso yung banatan ay old school metal, power metal, prog metal, sabayan na rin ng glam. Ewan ko lang kung papatok kasi parang kaunti lang yung nakikinig ng ganitong tugtugan live. Marami pa ring gusto manood ng showbands. :(

tagal naman kung later this year pa...

neway, sana consider me as a potential bassist...

miss ko na tumugtog... :)

tagal naman kung later this year pa...

neway, sana consider me as a potential bassist...

miss ko na tumugtog... :)

Dami ko kasi inaasikasongayon e. Hanap kong bandmates are those who enjoy playing even w/out the monetary rewards. Parang hobby lang & so that we can rock out. Bonus na lang yung pera kasi mas important pa rin yung day jobs natin. :)

blues is the father of rock and roll, it's bastard son

im a guitarist/wanabee vocalist who wants to form a 3 pc band in the vein of

jimi hendrix experience, cream, SRV and double trouble....blues-rock ang music...but it's merely a platform for ( hopefully ) better things to come.i do wanna do a blues album someday--or at least a blues-influenced one.indie or otherwise.

i have a drummer...and (maybe) a keyboardist...

i am looking for a bassist.if you have the blues in your soul and the need to rock

you're my man!!!---or woman...

it's definitely not for financial gain guys! the blues dont sell...but there are places that we can play..

im already in a band, it's my profession you see

--im only doin this because i wanna play the blues so bad man

it helps if youre from the laspiñas, parañaque, alabang area.

drop me a line.live your name and phone #...and say something about yourself(musical influences, where youre from,etc)..email me at blues2death@yahooo.com

oi!!! meron ba dito nakanood ng mga clinics nila michael angelo, paul gilbert tsaka ni billy sheehan dito sa pinas? nagpunta dito si billy sheehan nitong year lang. sayang hindi ko napanood. hehehehe!!! kung meron pa kayong alam na mga clinics i post nyo lang dito!!! tsaka battle of the bands na rin. un lang!!!

rock and roll!!!

Oo nga pala, lipat ko lang dito ito. Ito yung ginawa ko sa MyGimmick, walang masyadong nagpo-post doon dahil madaming jologs doon. Ilalagay ko na lang dito dahil naghihingalo na yung forum na iyon, baka madala pa nila yung thread sa libingan nila, and banned na ako doon... Hehehehehehe

Posted: Jun 8 2003, 09:25 PM

I know its only rock and roll but I like it!!! from AC/DC to ZWAN, 311 to 10,000 Maniacs, Chuck Berry to Elvis Presley to Rob Zombie, Germany's Rammstein to Armenia's System of a Down, pop rock to heavy metal, gospel rock to satanic rock, rap metal to death metal, to punk, ska and reggae, ROCK AND ROLL never goes out of style. It never ceases to amaze me. It trancends boundaries way beyond the limits of creative thinking. But only few can dig or appreciate this type of music, sabi nila pang-adik lang daw ang rock, p#tang$na nyo mga jologs!!! Truly, Rockers are a rare breed!!!

That is why I cant help but create this thread for all the rockers and metalheads out there. Konti lang tayong nakakaappreciate ng ganitong klaseng musika, kaya para sa inyo ito. You can air all your thoughts, frustrations and angst about anything and everything that happens around us. What do you think of the present music scene? Sino sa tingin nyo ang pinakamalupit na banda? ang pinakabollocks? o pinakawalang kuwentang concert na napanood nyo? Ano ang masasabi nyo sa mga putanginang boybands na walang ginawa kundi magpakyut, lalong-lalo na ang mga buwakananginang F4 na yan, sa mga balasubas na taeng nagpapatakbo ng ating gobyerno, sa baboy mong teacher na nagtuturo ng kung anu-anong klaseng kababuyan!!! sa kapitbahay nyong hiphop na walang ginawa kundi magsayaw na parang natatae at sa kung anu-ano pang kagaguhang ginagawa ng mga tao sa paligid mo.

You can say anything and everything. Everyone wants to hear it, whether its nice or nasty. You can even curse your Cardinal Sin here. Freedom of expression with so much rock and roll fervor, thats what Rock and Roll is all about, and only us Rockers can get away with it. Dont be afraid that someone might bear a grudge on anything that you might say, we practice democracy here. Just like what I have said, "We rockers are a rare breed", we have every right to be nasty. after all, Rock and Roll is all about ATTITUDE!!!

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN A FREE WORLD!!!

MABUHAY ANG ROCK AND ROLL!!!

I love Rock n Roll! I listen to the likes of Hendrix, The Doors, Rolling Stones Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Van Halen and lot's more of the oldies. Am having a hard time looking for a good source of the hardcore songs of Grand Funk Railroad. I'm also into Heavy Metal, from Metallica, Anthrax, Death Angel, Testament etc......I just can't take Metal bands and wannabe's whose lyrics I can't understand too much because of the gurgling screeches, though it's the trend nowadays. What I want to hear besides the artistic guitar riffs and pulse-pounding rolls of the drums, is a good vocalist who can belt out heavy tunes without looking like a TH musician. Am into trying out new breeds. Any Ideas?

Kuwento ko lang. Yung kapitbahay naming hip-hop kasama yung mga tropa niyang nagpapractice ng dance steps dun sa front lawn nila. E bad trip ako sa mga porma. So para maasar sila, lumabas ako sa terrace namin bitbit yung Marshall amplifier & Ibanez guitar ko tapos habang sumasayaw sila, nag-shred naman ako. Na-bad trip ata kaya nag-sialisan sila. Tawa ako ng tawa. :)

Pass ako sa Summer Slam. Di ko trip yung mga banda dun e. Malamang sa Sick Fest na lang ako pupunta sa Rock 2 Metal.

Sya nga pala, to my fellow rockers and metalheads here's a bit of good news. We all know that most rare rock and metal cds are hard to come by in our shores simply because the local labels do not distribute them here and music stores would not carry those rare titles as well. Well there's a place that we can all go to to get our hard rockin' and headbangin' fix. There's a store in Sucat called METAL DISC which carries hard to find metal and hard rock titles which are not available in your ordinary record bar racks. I was there yesterday and I felt like a kid in a candy store with the abundance of titles the place has. They also sell t-shirts, posters, dvds, vcds, vhs tapes, stickers. I know it's a bit far for the people who don't live in the south but it's certainly worth the long trip. But I suggest you already set aside some money when you go there para hindi naman sayang oras mo sa pag window shopping at may mauwi ka na mapapakinggan.

Their location is:

17 President Avenue, Tahanan Village

Parañaque City

tel# 842-7501

email: metaldisc2003@yahoo.com

now playing: "Reroute to Remain" - IN FLAMES

Pass ako sa Summer Slam. Di ko trip yung mga banda dun e. Malamang sa Sick Fest na lang ako pupunta sa Rock 2 Metal.

Sya nga pala, to my fellow rockers and metalheads here's a bit of good news. We all know that most rare rock and metal cds are hard to come by in our shores simply because the local labels do not distribute them here and music stores would not carry those rare titles as well. Well there's a place that we can all go to to get our hard rockin' and headbangin' fix. There's a store in Sucat called METAL DISC which carries hard to find metal and hard rock titles which are not available in your ordinary record bar racks. I was there yesterday and I felt like a kid in a candy store with the abundance of titles the place has. They also sell t-shirts, posters, dvds, vcds, vhs tapes, stickers. I know it's a bit far for the people who don't live in the south but it's certainly worth the long trip. But I suggest you already set aside some money when you go there para hindi naman sayang oras mo sa pag window shopping at may mauwi ka na mapapakinggan.

Their location is:

17 President Avenue, Tahanan Village

Parañaque City

tel# 842-7501

email: metaldisc2003@yahoo.com

now playing: "Reroute to Remain" - IN FLAMES

Aba ayos ito ah!!!

Original ba yung mga records nila? Saan malapit yan? Sa Dampa? Magkano naman yung price ng mga cd's?

basta sa kin ang malulupet na banda signed or un-signed, indie or major label ay:

eraserheads/mongols, rivermaya(mas fave ko na nung si rico ang lead singer),teeth,parokya,yano/pan,sandwich,kapatid,wolfgang,greyhoundz,

razorback,cheese,kamikaze,kikomachine,squeezers,bamboo,

valley of chrome,jeepney joyride,betrayed,skychurch,twisted halo,sugarfree,squid nine,ciudad,itchyworms,copperpopthrill,7ft. jr.,cover me quick,ubandub,daydreamcycle,late isabel,sin,subkulture