Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

man, a lot of stuff can be done when your mind ain't in class...

- you guys know how silly all this Fedor - Randy - UFC talk is becoming? now i'm hearing rumors that Fedor is fighting KEN FREAKING SHAMROCK in M-1. i'm a huge Ken Shamrock fan, i credit him for my awakening in MMA, but this one is so absurd.

- apparently, Randy Couture ain't the only one who's unhappy with what the UFC is doing. Even PRIDE FC Welterweight Champ Dan Henderson is speaking out his displeasure over Zuffa's compensation packages.

- CBS Sportsline & ProElite contributor Sam Caplan posts a great read about the whole brouhaha. he thinks that Couture fighting Fedor is highly unlikely, mainly because of his contract and basic business sense regarding fighting and promoting fight cards.

(click on the links that are underlined, don't ask me for the source because it's there.)

anyone know who the rich dude behind M1 is?

and oh Pride is back, there have been reports that of former Pride staff reserving the Saitama Super Arena for a NYE show where the rumored fights will be Takanori Gomi vs. Kid Yamamoto, and Fedor vs. Yoshida.

the new pride will be under World Victory Road, a company who is rumored to be the one overseeing M1.

the organizers are currently looking for a name for the event (it won't be called pride because Zuffa owns the Pride brand name now)

- apparently, Randy Couture ain't the only one who's unhappy with what the UFC is doing. Even PRIDE FC Welterweight Champ Dan Henderson is speaking out his displeasure over Zuffa's compensation packages.

the UFC can afford to underpay their fighters, given that they are the ONLY world class MMA promotion at the moment. It sucks to be without competition. I'm rooting for M1 or this new version of Pride to shake things up and give fighters a chance to earn more money.

Edited by Larry

damn, nagiging problem na din ng MMA ang problem ng Boxing..greedy promoters, i love the UFC, but what they are doing is destroying the sport, too greedy tlga, dapat pinayagan na lang nila si Fedor na pwede si maglaro sa ibang tournaments para nagsign na siya sa UFC at natuloy na ang laban ni Fedor at Randy para malaman kung sino talaga ang #1 heavyweight..

tpos kung totoo nga na binabarat nila yung mga fighters nila, tsk tsk tsk, isa pa yan na dahilan na ikakasira ng UFC, they them what they are due, i mean grabe na nga ang isinusugal ng mga MMA fighters tpos babaratin pa nila, sa ginagawa ng UFC, hinde lang sila ang masisira, buong world ng MMA maaapektuhan, i hope the other leagues will become successful para magkaron ng competitiveness in signing and matching up fighters..

excited na ko mapanuod si Brandon Vera upakan si Tim Sylvia hehehe..nice to see Anderson Silva back din :)

anyone know who the rich dude behind M1 is?

I'm rooting for M1 or this new version of Pride to shake things up and give fighters a chance to earn more money.

^ people are speculating that it might be Mark Cuban.. he's receivinig quite good reviews for his inaugural HDNet Fights PPV, & he did say that he's dead serious about landing Fedor..

Yoshida & Co.'s World Victory Road looks like a really organized entity, unlike the PRIDE power structure after former CEO Morishige committed suicide & Sakakibara took over.. they even hired a former police chief who handled the Aum Shirin Kyo subway attacks to oversee ops to prevent any criminal activity to infiltrate WVR's power structure.. they can coop with K-1 (like what PRIDE did in 2002) to resurrect the Shockwave NYE event, & if Fedor's M-1 contract is non-exclusive maybe we can see him fight in Japan again.. that, along with the rest of the free agents right now (Gomi, Hansen, Aoki, Barnett, Hunt, Kang, etc.), makes WVR a really intriguing concept..

Sylvia/Vera winner to fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for vacant heavyweight title!!!

“The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year.”

It is reported that the winner of the fight between Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia this weekend will challenge Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title. “Big Nog” was penciled in to clash with Cheick Kongo; however, the status of that showdown could have changed with the recent resignation of reigning UFC Heavyweight Champion, Randy Couture. SuperBowl weekend on February 2, 2008, would appear to be the likely slot for this title fight to happen.

Edited by Insaniac
Sylvia/Vera winner to fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for vacant heavyweight title!!!

If this is true, Vera vs. Nog will be a really good fight, so this means Vera really should win this one with Sylvia.

Yoshida & Co.'s World Victory Road looks like a really organized entity, unlike the PRIDE power structure after former CEO Morishige committed suicide & Sakakibara took over.. they even hired a former police chief who handled the Aum Shirin Kyo subway attacks to oversee ops to prevent any criminal activity to infiltrate WVR's power structure.. they can coop with K-1 (like what PRIDE did in 2002) to resurrect the Shockwave NYE event, & if Fedor's M-1 contract is non-exclusive maybe we can see him fight in Japan again.. that, along with the rest of the free agents right now (Gomi, Hansen, Aoki, Barnett, Hunt, Kang, etc.), makes WVR a really intriguing concept..

some people are saying that M1 is the Russian promotion of WVR.

we have to hope that WVR really takes off so that fighters have a choice on where to go and what they're paid. I predict that if WVR does well all the former Pride guys will not renew their UFC contracts and go back to Japan.

^ people are speculating that it might be Mark Cuban.. he's receivinig quite good reviews for his inaugural HDNet Fights PPV, & he did say that he's dead serious about landing Fedor..

I've heard that, but I don't think it's Cuban. Cuban has a different more grassroots model for MMA and he's already said that he wants to start slow at first.

There have been many other promotions that were touted as being the ones to bring down the UFC (Bodog, WEC, IFL, WEC, etc) but so far none of them has succeded, I hope WVR does succeed though, they seem to have the cash to do it.

Good Mark Cuban article:

from FOXSports

Mark Cuban waltzed Monday in "Dancing With the Stars."

Two nights earlier, the billionaire's new mixed martial arts group debuted with no stars.

Cuban's first card showed just how far HDNet Fights is from becoming a major MMA player. One of the show's headliners (41-year-old Erik Paulson) hadn't fought in seven years; the other (Jeff Ford) arrived 20 pounds overweight. The biggest undercard names were three castoffs from Ultimate Fighting Championship reality shows. Only 10 of the 20 fighters had more than 10 professional bouts.

But unlike other aspiring MMA companies that tried (and failed) to make a quick splash, HDNet Fights wasn't seeking an early knockout. This card was booked solely as programming for Cuban's fledgling HDNet network and as a self-described "beta test" for future shows.

Cuban already was thinking about his second MMA event in December before this one had ended. He mingled among the 6,500 fans at American Airlines Arena seeking immediate feedback rather than soaking in the fights, which will begin to air Friday night on HDNet.

"I think everyone had a good time, which is the important thing," Cuban said Sunday morning via email. "I believe we sent a message to MMA athletes across the industry that we intend to treat our fighters with the respect and care they deserve.

"The biggest room for improvement is in our game presentation. We knew we would have kinks and we did. I spent more time taking notes on how to make the next event better than anything else."

Cuban even solicited input from UFC light-heavyweight Dan Henderson, who attended the show. The conversation created immediate buzz because Cuban is one of the few promoters who could win a bidding war with UFC for marquee talent.

Cuban, though, doesn't seem ready to fight that battle. HDNet Fights only has exposure on his television network, which reaches seven million homes compared to the roughly 94 million that receive UFC programming on Spike TV. No HDNet Fights pay-per-view events are on the horizon either.

"We have no interest in competing with the UFC," Cuban said. "They can do things their way. We will do things our way."

Cuban's way is different than that of the UFC. HDNet Fights isn't signing competitors to exclusive contracts. Cuban has broached the possibility of guaranteed salaries and heath insurance, which UFC doesn't offer its fighters.

He also has shown willingness to work with other MMA companies and confirmed talks with the M1 Mixed-Fight Championship group that recently signed prized heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. UFC was unable to sign Emelianenko, which contributed to Randy Couture's recent "resignation" from the promotion.

Couture vs. Emelianenko is one of the few non-UFC matches that has mainstream pay-per-view appeal. But it won't happen unless the 44-year-old Couture can escape from a UFC contract that calls for two more fights. UFC has its other top stars under exclusive deals as well.

Cuban, though, is looking at different ways to develop HDNet Fights. One is through the kinds of sponsorship and marketing opportunities that Cuban established with his Dallas Mavericks. Cuban also can keep costs relatively low because he owns his own network, DVD distribution business and 50 percent of American Airlines Arena.

"We are not dependent on any outside companies for our success," said Cuban, whose net worth is valued at $2.3 billion by Forbes. "Every fight we produce, we have the outlets to monetize them in every way possible, even to the extent of broadcasting them live to our Landmark Theaters.

"We want to help grow the sport. I think there is a unique opportunity to make the fights about the fighters as the primary brands and to create stronger development opportunities. It really comes down to taking what I have learned with the Mavs and applying the same principles to MMA."

Cuban also is considering what can be described as an "MMA With the Stars" reality series. But Cuban said the concept is "not something we are going to do right away." Nor is he interested in promoting an Ultimate Fighter-type show even though the concept was wildly successful for UFC in exposing new fighters and their personalities.

"We need to focus on the professional aspects of MMA," Cuban said. "I think one of the problems the sport has is that current reality shows are cast to make great TV. Watching a bunch of guys get drunk and hang out isn't the way to represent the sport in a professional manner.

"One of the recurring themes I hear from the top names I talk to is that they hate fans think these 'knuckleheads' (to use the term I hear over and over) represent the typical MMA athlete. They don't."

Just like Cuban doesn't represent the typical MMA promoter.

------------

I really like where Mark Cuban is going with MMA. I pray for his success.

“The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for

the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year.”

It is reported that the winner of the fight between Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia this weekend will challenge Antonio Rodrigo

Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title. “Big Nog” was penciled in to clash with Cheick Kongo; however, the status of that

showdown could have changed with the recent resignation of reigning UFC Heavyweight Champion, Randy Couture. SuperBowl

weekend on February 2, 2008, would appear to be the likely slot for this title fight to happen.

Wow! This is good news for Brandon Vera... But I think this is premature...

Why give Big Nog and the winner of Vera-Sylvia a ready shot at the title when there are a lot of HWs waiting on the wing? I think this is an injustice to Arlovski, Napao, Kongo and even Cro cop (kahit talunan ito dapat contender din ito, heheheh). Kay Vera ok lang siguro pero hindi yata kay Big Nog...

But knowing UFC, this is one of their publicity moves, they've done this kind of thing in the past with, so hindi na nakakagulat kung gagawin uli ngayon. Come to think of it, even Randy Couture was given a ready shot at the title out of retirement. Well, if this one will push through, it should be aptly titled: "UFC XX: INJUSTICE"

Why give Big Nog and the winner of Vera-Sylvia a ready shot at the title when there are a lot of HWs waiting on the wing? I think this is an injustice to Arlovski, Napao, Kongo and even Cro cop (kahit talunan ito dapat contender din ito, heheheh). Kay Vera ok lang siguro pero hindi yata kay Big Nog...

it makes perfect sense actually

brandon vera is undefeated (8-0) and Big Tim is a former champion. Nog is a former world champion too, although he looked hazy against Herring, he's still one of the only real contenders for heavyweight right now; Arlovski is under the radar at the moment, I can't even remember the last time he fought, Napao is coming off a loss - it doesn't look good for someone coming off a loss to become a title contender in his next fight, same goes for Crocop, Kongo is untested - "hilaw" in other words.

The thing is they can't wait for any more guys to step up to the vacant title because they can't have the title vacant for too long, it would look bad for the UFC.

My suggestion is that they hold a 4 man GP Vera/Sylvia - Nog/Arlovski for the HW strap.

Big Nog is a wise choice actually. He's been there.. He's tasted the belt in Pride.

But with this announcement, I wonder how it'll affect both the gameplans of Vera and Silvia

Look at Franklin when he fought Okami. He looked tentative and thought more of the "what ifs"

Anyway, fast forward to UFC 79. (UFC 78 is crap)

This was an ad from DirecTV but was pulled out.. I just hope that it's true :)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/4907-Wanderlei-vs.-Chuck.jpg

It'll be a blast to see world reknowned MMA artists on a new year.

BJ Penn was supposed to fight Sherk but Sherk is suspended. ( I wonder kung sino ipapalit? Big Daddy Joe is a good choice though )

Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell (still hoping that it's true)

and the 2 Matts, Serra vs Hughes

Listed and Clementi are also fighting

sana matuloy nga ito! :)

But for now, Vera WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Edited by pr0nmast3r
Bisping-Evans UFC 78 winner to fight Rampage for title?

“Dana White, the UFC President, says that the winner [of the fight between Michael Bisping and Rashad Evans] will gain an automatic world light-heavweight title shot.”

Fast forward na lang tayo as UFC 79. better card imho.

This 78 is crap.

Gusto ko lang sa 78 is Chonan-Parisyan

please lang walang spoiler ng results mamaya. kung puwede yung result after ng palabas sa solar sports para naman ma enjoy natin yung laban. thank you!

sana nga para exciting ang laban. my prediction... Anderson Silva and Brandon Vera for the win.

the fight of the night:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3792/24verasylviaufc77weighfm3.jpg

:thumbsupsmiley:

UFC 77 RESULTS:

Anderson Silva defeats Rich Franklin via TKO (Knee)

Tim Sylvia defeats Brandon Vera via Unanimous Decision

Stephan Bonnar defeats Eric Schafer via TKO (Strikes)

Alan Belcher defeats Kalib Starnes via TKO (Doctor Stoppage due to cut)

Alvin Robinson defeats Jorge Gurgel via Unanimous Decision

Yushin Okami defeats Jason MacDonald via Unanimous Decision

Demian Maia defeats Ryan Jensen via Rear Naked Choke in Round 1

Josh Burkman defeats Forrest Petz via Unanimous Decision

Matt Grice defeats Jason Black via Split Decision