Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

i read the posts from last 2 pages, and i'd just like to contribute to the overall idea of my view on martial arts (don't have the patience to quote everyone, hehe):

i think the aspect of fighting in MA should and never be labelled as "striking, grappling, clinching, etc." ... because those labels will only limit a person's mind and view on the realistic side of fighting. to demonstrate, here's what ppl of different MA stereotypes would say:

a.) Striker = why should i train in grappling and take downs when i can knock you out before you come near?

b.) Grappler = all fights end in the ground.

i diagree with both ... and the only situations those quotes can be true is when you are in a ring, competing (be it jiu jitsu, kick boxing, TKD, etc.) and protected by rules.

in real life, anything can happen. MA situations or self-defense situations can start from any range:

a.) long = this usually happens when you hang out with a "bad crowd" and you are being hunted by 'gang' members for supposedly stealing another guy's gf... one day you get back attacked and you manage to see the attack coming. you can use offensive techniques here, but i think you'd end up getting in trouble with the law. i havent experienced this. i dont hang out with a bad crowd.

b.) medium = this usually happens when you know the attacker (not necessarily their names) ... it's what i call "away barkada." this is not usually a self-defense situation but more of a "pasikat defense" situation, where you fight cause your ego was hurt or something. you CANNOT apply lethal force here. this situation is similar to what happens in tournaments, except that your rules are invisible.

c.) close = this usually happens when you are mugged *lol* this situation usually REQUIRES you to implore self-defense, where you either: give away your money OR go all out and use "foul" techniques that damages or stuns your aggressor. a lot of ppl end up dead in these situations? why? ... they attempted to fight their aggressors without really knowing how to fight. i was mugged twice or thrice... and i gave my stuff away without attempting any fancy move of some sort. it may make me sound like a wuss but in those situations, i was actually ready when the muggers pulled the trigger (i tend to protect my heart and neck). self-defense basically means staying alive at the end of the day.

*note, the examples above are just illustrations... not every long range situation is a gang fight scenario, it can actually be mugging, away barkada, etc.

-*-

i love martial arts not because i think i can use it for self-defense or that it can win me fame and prestige (actually, i have NEVER used martial arts in a self defense situation and im not suited for tournament fighting either), but because it helps me deal with life.

a bad trait of mine is being lazy and complacent... i deal with it by remembering the times i trained hard in my art... times when i was too exhausted to even get up, or when i was in too much pain but still persevered to train. after thinking about those things, i just tell myself "f*ck it! if i did it in the gym, i can do this (whatever it is)"

having said that... MA for me is actually self-development more than self defense.

it is ironice because the arts i train in are "military techniques" (as Corkscrew said) ... arts that were meant for fighting ... arts that deteriorate the body in exchange for temporary strength.

someday i would surely want to try internal arts ... because i tend to enjoy the philosophical aspect of MA more than the "winning and achieving" portion of it. the only reason why i am in military techniques now is probably because of budget, impatience, and ZERO knowledge about who's the real slim shady in internal arts.

-*-

thanks for reading :) i enjoyed writing this.

i forgot to give my MA profile :)

i've been training in Joey Perico's Jeet Kune Do for 3 years now (just recently got back so i could lose weight). i know a lot of people diss him (especially online), but i totally respect the guy. eventhough i do not agree with everything he says, i know very well that he is the reason why i am where i am now.

to those interested, his gym is located in v.cruz and is pretty cheap. 1K start up fee (inclusive of 2 t-shirts and jogging pants) and 100 php per session.

i can assure anyone that the environment is healthy there and it is a good place to learn martial arts (since students are free to talk in training).

however, the gym may not serve your needs if you are a:

1.) tournament fighter = we lack mats and training regimen for those kinda things. we discuss the concepts though (with me being the biggest promulgator of MMA, hehe).

2.) MA/Bruce Lee/JKD fanatic = there are politics involved in Master Joey's authenticity. i suggest you try those Dan Inosanto schools (i dont know of any.. sorry). i also suggest you stop being a fanatic :)

3.) violence inclined = the environment discourages ppl from hurting each other or sparring all out.

you are suited here if you are a:

a.) beginner = the training regimen develops your cardio and basic muscles but to the point of torturing you. there are no tournaments to prepare for in here, so you are free to train in the intensity you want. i suggest you train hard or not train at all :)

b.) Working = it is an excellent stress reliever and you are not required to complete exercises your body cannot handle. however, know that there is a thin line between laziness and your body giving up :) ... know the difference.

c.) an individual who likes the science behind the arts = yes, we talk here all the time. sometimes the talking gets too bad that it degerates into basic gossiping and life stories. i probably shouldnt have said that *lol*

d.) someone who hates crowded rooms = master joey doesnt advertise anymore... there's a maximun of like 8 students here and just yesterday, i was the only one who trained. this has happened twice within the month *lol*

-*-

end of advertising :)

i forgot to give my MA profile :)

i've been training in Joey Perico's Jeet Kune Do for 3 years now (just recently got back so i could lose weight). i know a lot of people diss him (especially online), but i totally respect the guy. eventhough i do not agree with everything he says, i know very well that he is the reason why i am where i am now.

to those interested, his gym is located in v.cruz and is pretty cheap. 1K start up fee (inclusive of 2 t-shirts and jogging pants) and 100 php per session.

i can assure anyone that the environment is healthy there and it is a good place to learn martial arts (since students are free to talk in training).

however, the gym may not serve your needs if you are a:

1.) tournament fighter = we lack mats and training regimen for those kinda things. we discuss the concepts though (with me being the biggest promulgator of MMA, hehe).

2.) MA/Bruce Lee/JKD fanatic = there are politics involved in Master Joey's authenticity. i suggest you try those Dan Inosanto schools (i dont know of any.. sorry). i also suggest you stop being a fanatic :)

3.) violence inclined = the environment discourages ppl from hurting each other or sparring all out.

you are suited here if you are a:

a.) beginner = the training regimen develops your cardio and basic muscles but to the point of torturing you. there are no tournaments to prepare for in here, so you are free to train in the intensity you want. i suggest you train hard or not train at all :)

b.) Working = it is an excellent stress reliever and you are not required to complete exercises your body cannot handle. however, know that there is a thin line between laziness and your body giving up :) ... know the difference.

c.) an individual who likes the science behind the arts = yes, we talk here all the time. sometimes the talking gets too bad that it degerates into basic gossiping and life stories. i probably shouldnt have said that *lol*

d.) someone who hates crowded rooms = master joey doesnt advertise anymore... there's a maximun of like 8 students here and just yesterday, i was the only one who trained. this has happened twice within the month *lol*

-*-

end of advertising :)

-- Add to that if you want to have a good laugh, this place is great to go to as Joey and his instructors have a good sense of humor

it is ironice because the arts i train in are "military techniques" (as Corkscrew said) ... arts that were meant for fighting ... arts that deteriorate the body in exchange for temporary strength.

someday i would surely want to try internal arts ... because i tend to enjoy the philosophical aspect of MA more than the "winning and achieving" portion of it. the only reason why i am in military techniques now is probably because of budget, impatience, and ZERO knowledge about who's the real slim shady in internal arts.

thanks for reading :) i enjoyed writing this.

First, keep writing. Its all interesting. That follows too for everyone else here. :)

Something to add to your contemplations... lets say that you started studying internal martial arts at age 40. At 60, two decades later... internal masters would STILL view you as a Beginner, a Novice at best. So why start "someday"?

But let me give you the best advice I know of it: Only the most serious of persons should even begin studying internal martial arts. The process & training involved takes YEARS to develop. Many who begin NEVER get anywhere far. And many quit too early. It is frustrating. It is boring. It is worth it.

Should you decide to begin this journey... remove all martial arts ideas that you have from your mind. Because whatever you think it is... isn't it. NOTHING EXTERNAL IS LIKE IT AT ALL. It isn't necessarily better... it's just different.

About "ZERO knowledge"... there is a cure for that : ASK

Finally, as Yoda so aptly put it... "There is no try. DO."

regards,

Corky

I've been looking for a Wing Chun school here in the Philippines for awhile myself. Haven't found one yet. I studied in San Francisco and Washington, DC. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found a guy who can make a Wing Chun dummy. At least I can keep up my proficiency even though it's better to train with real people...

MMA fans...there's another freak to be unleashed in K1...and in freak, not an impressive fighter like Fedor, but more of like another Bob Sapp.

I could be wrong though, he supposedly has a 35-2 amateur wrestling record in his 4 years of college and is an NCAA champ and All-American...plus he's around 260-285lbs of muscle...so who knows, with the right training he may become more than a sideshow in MMA events.

Officially, it was a draw, but everyone in attendance knows who won; it was Ron Lasprilla. Erwin was on the defense about 90% of the fight. He made some great escapes, but overall, he got pounded. Ron wanted to go another 5 min. round, but Erwin declined the offer. Ron had the belt on the line and agreed to continue fighting, but the way things were going, Erwin may have gotten pounded even more...

its really sad pero i don't think we will see sakuraba fight a decent match anymore

lagi siya kasi injured at laging hindi fully recovered kapag lumalaban

inspite of all his injuries.....ang galing pa niya.......sana makakuha tayo ng tapes niya when he was still really healthy