Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

presently training in kickboxing National Kickboxing Fed. (NATKICK) ang galing magturo n instructor sa amoranto stadium yung gym,800 monthly lang ang bayad mababait ang mga tao,mura and quality training talaga , dito din nagtrain one of the tulfo bros. some celebs .... one big familyang turingan dito...the instructor is jun francisco 5 time kickboxing champ,a yawyan senior , yung mga ibang nanalo sa last fearless fighting last week dito din nagtrain....try to visit the gym mwf 4-8pm tth 930-1130am,6-8, sat 930-1130,4-6pm quality for your money....very affordable

WOW! It took me three days to read everything from page 1 to 44 (during breaks at work). Ang daming replies dito! Nakakatuwa namang madami palang martial arts fanatics sa MTC.

Someone mentioned that there is a teacher in Don Bosco Makati who teaches hsing-i-chuan, baguazhang and taichi. Any additional information on this? Can someone confirm this? Perhaps you would know the name, contact number, schedule... etc.? Also, what kind of hsing-i, pakua and tai chi is practiced here?

Again, someone likewise asked what the Internal Martial Arts (IMA) are. And the reply that came was to identify hsingichuan, baguazhang and taichi ONLY. I'd like to clarify that YES, all three are Chinese Internal Martial Arts. BUT, there's more. The 3 identified above are known as the "BIG THREE", meaning - there is a large following of practitioners globally (at least 10 Million for taichi). But - there are more Internal Martial Arts. To give a listing of IMAs, please see below:

Hsin-i Chuan (xiniquan)

Hsin-i-liu-he Chuan (xiniliuhequan)

Hsing-i-Chuan (xingyiquan)

Baguazhang (pakua chang)

Tai Chi Chuan (taijiquan)

I-Chuan (yiquan, dachengchuan)

Liu He Pa Fa (liuhopafa, lok-hop-pat-fat, liuhubafa)

Wan Yun Hat Fei (don*tknowtheotherchinesename)

**clarification lang: may mga ibang External Martial Arts na may halong Internal. Samples would be Praying Mantis and Tibetan White Crane. There is also a Japanese Internal MA - called Rei Ki Ken (againsorrydon*tknowtheotherjapanesename). This originated from Hsing-i Chuan in China & was renamed when the practitioner brought it back to Japan. Most of these arts find their roots in Taoist origins.

**correction lang po: Baguazhang is not the least practiced of the IMA. It is the least practiced of the BIG THREE. And yet, its following is so large that the Chinese Government had to build a stadium in Guangzhou that dwarfs Megamall, so that visitors who come to study it from all over the globe could be housed. It has been three years, and it is STILL under construction. Ganun kalaki. Wan Yun Hat Fei (in english, One Chi) is the oldest recorded IMA and is the least practiced of all the IMA. One of the teachers of WYHF named master Connie Coneljo from Hong Kong (now residing in Australia) - visited the Philippines and taught parts of it to a few lucky Filipinos (myself not included).

**some people in the Chinese IMA Community, do not consider I-Chuan to be Internal.

**mayroon ding Internal MA na hindi galing sa China. May galing din sa India at Indonesia. Pero, kung "classic" definition ang susundan - kailangang Taoist ang origin para maging "Internal". Iba kasi ang Indian & Indonesian MA... ang definition nila kung ano ang Internal... medyo... nai-iba. Hindi kasi Chi and pinaguusapan, kundi Pran-nha. May tantric magic pa...

**pinaka-importanteng clarification: ang WUSHU ay may mga forms competition ng taichi, pakua, liuhopafa at iba pa... hindi ito Internal. Internal is Internal. Forms are just forms. Very few people even in China know how to teach forms in such a way to make you internal. Then again, you have I-chuan which has no forms whatsoever, and yet - it is called Internal.

Some of you might find it interesting that with the sole exception of Hsin-i, all other Chinese Internal Martial Arts styles mentioned above are taught/practiced in the Philippines.

BTW, does anyone here practice IMA?

presently training in kickboxing National Kickboxing Fed. (NATKICK) ang galing magturo n instructor sa amoranto stadium yung gym,800 monthly lang ang bayad mababait ang mga tao,mura and quality training talaga , dito din nagtrain one of the tulfo bros. some celebs .... one big familyang turingan dito...the instructor is jun francisco 5 time kickboxing champ,a yawyan senior , yung mga ibang nanalo sa last fearless fighting last week dito din nagtrain....try to visit the gym mwf 4-8pm tth 930-1130am,6-8, sat 930-1130,4-6pm quality for your money....very affordable

hi!! do they have contact number? for inquries?

what do I need to get started?

Kick boxing sounds really nice.. I heard its a really nice stress reliever...

any bits of info would be greatly appreciated...

CorkY!! naks very well versed ka pala sa ganyang mga bagay!! galing...

any tips for a new comer like me...

hi!! do they have contact number? for inquries?

what do I need to get started?

Kick boxing sounds really nice..  I heard its a really nice stress reliever...

any bits of info would be greatly appreciated...

bro ble 800 a month siya, you can visitthe place sa amorantostadium , for inquiries kahita ko na lang tanungin mo...basta guaranteed good quality training affordable price, a very very good cardiovascular workout basa nga sa pawis kahit short ko eh...wala naman kelangan gamit pero kung may gloves ka or sparring mitts mas ok kase para makapagpads ka kagad....see you ...

ANO MAS MAGALING SA:

Brazilian JIU-JITSU VS. JAPANESE JIU-JITSU

JIT-KUNE-DO VS. SHOOTFIGHTING

MUAY THAI VS. AMERICAN KICKBOXING

MARTIAL ARTIST NAMAN: nasa OCTAGON LABANAN: Sino kaya mananalo?

BRUCE LEE VS. ROYCE GRACIE

BRUCE LEE VS. DON "THE DRAGON" WILSON

CHUCK LIDELL VS. WANDERLEI SILVA

ANIME NAMAN; CORNY TO PERO INTERISADO LANG AKO MALAMAN KUNG sino pipiliin nyo

BAKI VS. MAKONOCHI

bro ble 800 a month siya, you can visitthe place sa amorantostadium , for inquiries kahita ko na lang tanungin mo...basta guaranteed good quality training affordable price, a very very good cardiovascular workout basa nga sa pawis kahit short ko eh...wala naman kelangan gamit pero kung may gloves ka or sparring mitts mas ok kase para makapagpads ka kagad....see you ...

babae po ako!! hehehehhehe

pero thanks sa info ha!!! na pm ko na sa iyo inquiries....

thanks uleet!

babae po ako!! hehehehhehe

pero thanks sa info ha!!! na pm ko na sa iyo inquiries....

thanks uleet!

if your are interested in kickboxing or muay thai you can also check the muay association of the philippines (map). they are located inside ultra (bleacher section of the football field).

the gym is open till around 9 pm.

the map is the official representative of the philippines for muay thai. they are accredited by the philippine olympic committee. during the last sea games, our trainers got one gold, one silver, and one bronze, and two golds and one silver in the wai kru event.

pm me if you are interested so i can give you the price and directions.

Hi Pale_enchantress,

"Well-versed" and "galing"... thanks, but I don't deserve the compliments. I'm just lucky. :)

As for tips for newcomers: internal martial arts (IMA) are a different ballgame altogether from external martial arts. Frankly, very many who start down this road get out of it. There are many stumbling blocks. Only the most resolved ever manage to get far.

Part of the reason this happens is that there are so many charlatans & clowns who pretend to know what IT is. They add their own hocus-pocus, charge an incredibly high fee, and yet the substance of what they teach - is shallow at best.

But that, is just part of it. The training itself can be very boring to some (assuming you're lucky enough to find someone who TRULY KNOWS). Most internal martial arts (but not all) rely upon "Standing Practice" to achieve its Wholistic goals. This is holding a particular posture or set of postures anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours. The funny thing is that if you were taught right, even one minute of standing practice is hard. Other IMA uses either "circle walking" or the form (kata) to achieve the same goal. The form, is the hardest thing among the methods because it involves so many details which can be too numerous to memorize. It likewise requires constant correction.

One of the biggest drawbacks to any internal martial art is the amount of time that it takes to achieve concrete goals. It requires a high level of patience, consistency & diligence that many people wouldn't bother with. You can practice for 10-20 years and... many masters would still consider you a Beginner . IMA differs again in the fact that - for the first few years, its all SOLO practice. The need for training partners comes much much later.

Perhaps the greatest detriment to IMA is SELECTIVITY. The teacher-student relationship is so important, that it is often equated to a "Father-Son" relation. The quality & quantity of information that you are given, depends largely on the depth of your relationship. Likewise, most of the teachers are Taoists (at the very least, Taoist Philosopher - if not a full blown Taoist).

Two important words in Taoist beliefs are: NATURAL and WAY. In this case, it is not "The Way" to be a braggart or to be arrogant. To be natural is to be humble. Neither is it "The Way" to go out & join tournaments for Glory, or test your skills needlessly. The very nature of a tournament is contrived, ergo - unnatural. Plus pride & ego are frowned upon. Ergo, this restriction is something which many find too stiffling - especially for those who are eager to prove themselves, or show-off their fighting skills (bad traits as far as Taoist Philosophy goes). Many of the IMA masters believe their information to be too dangerous to fall into the hands of unscrupulous people. Afterall, IMA isn't geared towards Sports - but rather, combat without rules: Survival. Many of the effects are permanent - either maiming or lethal. PLUS - even if you manage to convince someone to teach you, that is no guarantee that he will CONTINUE to teach you...

Having said some of the drawbacks to IMA, you're probably wondering why anyone would want to study it? Afterall, external marial arts has so many advantages: ranging from being cheaper, easier to find teachers/dojos, faster results as far as effort to effect ratio, less mumbo-jumbo, plus quality information is readily available via books, vids or the internet. Also its more popular - and ergo, easy to meet new people, share techniques, experiences & principles... etc. etc...

So what is so special about IMA? Well, for one - the abilities of people who master it are almost "mythical" in nature. In fact, I’ve no doubt that after pointing out some of the abilities - it is likely that many who read what I write will either scoff or laugh out loud in disbelief.

To be technical about it, the common word used to describe some of the different effects in IMA is "FA JING". It literally translates into "Expression of Power". To cite a few concrete examples...

A Liu ho pa fa (LHPF) teacher here in the Philippines can, with one almost imperceptible PUSH - send anyone (not just his students) flying 5 to 30 feet backwards. Read that sentence again please. When teaching his students, setting-up a bed on the wall is done to prevent serious injuries. The cheapest fee I know of that he charges is 4K monthly (and he often asks for one year's payment in advance). He has been known also to charge as much as 200K for a six (6) month "crash course". Believe me when I say, I know many people who have studied under him... and they are SATISFIED. That says a lot doesn't it? The push I described above (his fa jing), is the least of his abilities. Just in case you think I'm marketing this fellow, no... he isn't even my friend or my teacher. Just relating facts.

Another fact: the fellow I mentioned above is the highest paid martial arts instructor in the Philippines. And has been so for over 20 years now. There’s a very good reason for it. And, if you think he has only one or two students... you'll be very surprised at how many.

If you're wondering what IMA looks like, the most common is Yang Style Tai Chi. Yang Tai Chi is what most people are familiar with... characterized by its slow & graceful movements. A common experience is seeing old men practice it at Luneta (which is still done today). BUT, of all the IMA - Yang Style Tai Chi has the worst reputation. There are millions of practitioners, but not even one (1) percent is able to demonstrate anything worth calling "Fa Jing". While all IMA have clowns, this is the biggest Circus. I am NOT shooting Yang Tai Chi practitioners down... just cautioning you to be wary of unscrupulous people. Even Yang practitioners would agree that there's hardly anything internal for example, if you study under someone teaching Tai Chi to the tune of dance music. And there are people who do that.

One more ability of IMA that is shared by all is called "Rooting". Rooting has many effects. For one, there are several folk in the Philippines who can, remain unbothered - even if there are 5 strong people pushing against him. Now how do you throw a person who you can't either push or pull? How do you take him down to the ground if he won't budge? The term rooting stems from the fact that you feel like you are pushing against a tree. Another benefit of rooting is that your own strikes are stronger. Having no root is like punching while you're on ice. Much of the force is lost even if you connect. When rooted, your opponent feels every single PSI (pounds per square inch) that you can deliver. If MikeTyson were taught rooting…

IMA above all, is well-known for HEALTH. Since the IMA masters of old delved into studies of Chi, accupuncture and internal alchemy... there is no martial art that is AS SAFE to practice as IMAs. What do I mean by "safe"? The creators of IMA considered the effects of training on your body from the point of view of Oriental Medicine. Many martial arts were created in times of war, and were more interested in the ability to fight - without considering the long-term consequences of training on the body of the fighter. Thus, many external martial artists suffer from damaged bodies & can no longer fight when they hit 50 or 60 years old. In IMA, you are considered MORE DANGEROUS the older you get.

In external martial arts - it is not unheard of to see a student beat his own teacher. In IMA, it is next to impossible to do so.

One of the major goals of Taoists is to PROLONG LIFE. And as such, all true Taoist IMA are geared towards improving your health to achieve that goal. It is common to meet or read about masters who live well beyond ninety (90) years old... going as far as one hundred twenty five (125) years old.

So far, what I've written of is what I consider "believable". And yet, there's much much more. This is just the "tip of the iceberg" so as to speak.

For more visualization, so you'll have an idea of what these things look like... In the movie "THE ONE" starring Jet Li, two IMAs are featured. Jet Li "the bad guy" used Hsing I Chuan. Again, Jet Li "the good guy" used Baguazhang.

Hsing-I Chuan is built on something called "the 5 Fists". In the old days, this martial art had ONLY the 5 Fists. And, with these... they would survive against other martial artists & thugs who knew “hundreds” of moves. Of all the IMA, Hsing I is considered the simplest, most powerful (in terms of PSI or power delivered), and the fastest (able to FIGHT after only 3 years of training). Now, if you will notice in the movie, especially during the part while Yu-law was imprisoned, that he was doing fast movements. Yes, IMA is not limited to slow movements. Hsing I is the most aggressive of the IMA. The goal is to attack, attack and attack. This is not a mindless attack, afterall they retreat also. But, Hsing I’s strength is in offense… and proponents of this are very good at it too.

One of hsing-i's famous masters was given the nickname - "Divine Crushing Fist". He had mastered Beng Chuan or Crushing Fist (one of the 5 Fists). During one of his well-known fights, Guo Yong Sheng missed his opponent and instead, hit the frame of a door. He took out a piece of it, as large as his fist. Anyone who has ever had a house built would know that a doorframe or "hamba", has to be made of hardwood (even in old China, this is how doorframes were and are still built). That, is no small feat. Now, if you get hit in the ribs or the head by a guy who hits that hard... need I say more?

Baguazhang on the other hand is one of the "youngest" IMA, being created by a fellow named Dong Hai Chuan back in the early 1800's. It is based on the I CHING or Book of Changes. The ability to CHANGE is the primary strength of Baguazhang. It is the only martial art that was built FROM THE BEGINNING to deal with eight (8) opponents simultaneously. While many martial arts can teach you multi-opponent fighting, this occured as an afterthought. Or, as an improvement of the art. Likewise, very few martial arts can claim as many victories by its practitioners in a multiple-opponent scenario, as do Baguazhang proponents. The amazing thing about ORIGINAL baguazhang is that, it had only eight (8) palm strikes. Proponents of this art are by far the most mobile of the IMA. And, are able to change direction of their bodies or strikes in an instant.

About rooting and bagua... baguazhang practitioners have the incredible ability to remain rooted, even while walking in a circle. Of the "BIG THREE", Baguazhang contrasts from Hsing I in the sense that it is considered the most sophisticated. It has been called many names, among which are "The Art of the Overkill" and "An Art for Masters".

There is a saying in the IMA Circles that is very old “Lock the door and train. For Hsing I – three years. For Bagua – seven years. For Tai Chi – ten years.” What this saying means is that, it takes that long a time before you are considered a FIGHTER. Please note, I said FIGHTER, not MASTER. If it takes that long to fight, how much more to be considered a Master? But when the Fighter emerges… oh boy…

Now, not everyone who practices martial arts is interested ONLY in the fighting aspect. IMA meets the needs of people who are likewise interested in HEALTH, MEDITATION, SPIRITUALITY and PHILOSOPHY. Of Meditation - thats one of the main benefits you get when doing either standing practice, circle walking or when doing the form. Of Philosophy, IMA is HIGHLY DEPENDENT on Taoist principles. The more of it you understand, the better a martial artist you become. Of Spirituality... I will not write anything, since I know nothing about it (That’s the honest truth).

I know that what I've written is quite a bit, forgive me for being too "talkative". I would rather write a lot, and be clear... so that you can make the best choice possible... rather than leave you with only a small amount of information - as the saying goes "A little knowledge is very dangerous."

Best of luck in your course, and best of luck in your training.

Regards,

Corky

ANO MAS MAGALING SA:

Brazilian JIU-JITSU VS. JAPANESE JIU-JITSU

JIT-KUNE-DO VS. SHOOTFIGHTING

MUAY THAI VS. AMERICAN KICKBOXING

MARTIAL ARTIST NAMAN: nasa OCTAGON LABANAN: Sino kaya mananalo?

BRUCE LEE VS. ROYCE GRACIE

BRUCE LEE VS. DON "THE DRAGON" WILSON

CHUCK LIDELL VS. WANDERLEI SILVA

ANIME NAMAN; CORNY TO PERO INTERISADO LANG AKO MALAMAN KUNG sino pipiliin nyo

BAKI VS. MAKONOCHI

matagal ng alitan,o laman ng usap usapan ang ganyang bagay,,ang ipag lalaban laban ang iba't ibang larangan o "style" ng martial arts,,,i recommend na basahin mo ung libro na "TAO OF JEET KUNE DO" by by B.Lee....lalo na s may huling chapter nya,,dahil sinagot nya ang katanungan na yan,,,sa akin naman,kahit anong style pa ang pina praktis, sinaliksik o pinag aralan mo,nasa tao p rin kung nasa kanya ang kagustuhan para manalo sa isang laban o engkwentro,,nadaanan mo man lahat ng martial arts na sistema kung mahina nman ang loob mo humarap s kalaban,,,olats tau jan,,,isa pang elemento sa pkikidigma,,pano nman kung ikaw ang pinakamalakas,pinakamaliksi,pinakamahusay sa lahat ng martial arts na naitala, nde nman ibig sabihin na hindi ka na magkakasakit, o may hindi maiiwasang araw na mahina ang katawan mo,,'di ba?! nde sa lahat ng araw na sumikat at sisikat ay nasa mataas na kundisyon ang katawan para mkipaglaban,,kaya ung mga pangalan at estilo ng pkikipaglaban ay nasa tao na din, mamili ka n lng kung cno gusto mo manalo at gawaan ng magandang rason kung bakit d b? ung mga nananalo sa octagon,panalo din kaya sa isang sulok ng kanto dun sa may Tondo? ung american,japanese,european,african kickboxing o whatever na name nyan, may isasabi b yan sa isang naghuhuramentadong katutubong Tadtad?...pati anime naisali ha....hmmmm,corny nga!!

matagal ng alitan,o laman ng usap usapan ang ganyang bagay,,ang ipag lalaban laban ang iba't ibang larangan o "style" ng martial arts,,,i recommend na basahin mo ung libro na "TAO OF JEET KUNE DO" by by B.Lee....lalo na s may huling chapter nya,,dahil sinagot nya ang katanungan na yan,,,sa akin naman,kahit anong style pa ang pina praktis, sinaliksik o pinag aralan mo,nasa tao p rin kung nasa kanya ang kagustuhan para manalo sa isang laban o engkwentro,,nadaanan mo man lahat ng martial arts na sistema kung mahina nman ang loob mo humarap s kalaban,,,olats tau jan,,,isa pang elemento sa pkikidigma,,pano nman kung  ikaw ang pinakamalakas,pinakamaliksi,pinakamahusay sa lahat ng martial arts na naitala, nde nman ibig sabihin na hindi ka na magkakasakit, o may hindi maiiwasang araw na mahina ang katawan mo,,'di ba?! nde sa lahat ng araw na sumikat at sisikat ay nasa mataas na kundisyon ang katawan para mkipaglaban,,kaya ung mga pangalan at estilo  ng pkikipaglaban ay nasa tao na din, mamili ka n lng kung cno gusto mo manalo at gawaan ng magandang rason kung bakit d b? ung mga nananalo sa octagon,panalo din kaya sa  isang sulok ng kanto dun sa may Tondo? ung american,japanese,european,african kickboxing o whatever na name nyan, may isasabi b yan sa isang naghuhuramentadong katutubong Tadtad?...pati anime  naisali ha....hmmmm,corny nga!!

Napaganda ng pagkasabi mo Ros.

Anya ng Sifu ko, madaming daan paakyat sa ibabaw ng bundok. Ang punto, dapat makarating ka sa ibabaw. Kahit iba-iba ang pamamaraan ng mga istilong martial arts... iisa ang katawan ng tao. May hangganan ang dami ng galaw. Ang tanging walang humpay ay ang dami ng kombinasyon at pilosopiyang namumuno dito.

Higit sa istilong iyong pinagaaralan, ay ang taong nag-aaral nito. Ano ngayon kung binigyan ka ng impormasyong kakaiba, kung hindi ka naman nageensayo - e di ganun din, malalampaso ka't baka mapatay lalo na kung tutoo ang laban... maging holdup man, rape, napaginteresan ka, bangag ang kalaban mo, o kaya'y may matinding galit sa iyo (o kamaganak mo). Ang importante, ay dalhin mo ang iyong kaalaman sa pinakamataas na lugar na kaya mo.

Kung ang magnanakaw at holdaper, nageensayong mabuti... tayo pa kayang namumuhay ng matiwasay?

if your are interested in kickboxing or muay thai you can also check the muay association of the philippines (map).  they are located inside ultra (bleacher section of the football field).

the gym is open till around 9 pm. 

the map is the official representative of the philippines for muay thai.  they are accredited by the philippine olympic committee.  during the last sea games, our trainers got one gold, one silver, and one bronze, and two golds and one silver in the wai kru event.

pm me if you are interested so i can give you the price and directions.

ron, I am very much interested..

Ultra?? pano pumunta dun??

how much is the fee..

Is it too much... or just enough.. what are the requirements to start with??

thanks..

apparently I dont have a phone right now.. its in the shop...

I can get it on tuesday pa since I am nowhere near in my apartment...

greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Pale_enchantress
I think the Mook Jong or ooden dummy would be most relevant for JKD practitioners and Wing Chun practitioners but not so much for kickboxers

Just my two cents worth bros... for external martial arts, cross-training is always good. For internal martial arts... don't.

So for kickboxing, yep... a wooden dummy would have value. But... you have to cross-train in martial arts that can teach you how to use it well & maximize your training time when working out with this tool. As mentioned, Wing Chun & JKD use this... but so does Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Ngo Cho, Tibetan White Crane, 7 Star Mantis, Chang Chuan (Northern Fist), Nan Chuan (Southern Fist), etc. etc.

The value in mook jong is that depending on the construction and your art, it can be used for developing fluidity, simultaneous strike/block, power development, accuracy/targetting, sensitivity training (in the absence of a training partner), chin-na familiarization, etc.

IF you intend to be a purist kickboxer - well, forget it.

regards,

Corky