Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Oh no...

“Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. Besides, I’ve been training like a spartan for 20 years now — my body is worn out. The years caught up to me, I’ve been worn out…. [Junior dos Santos] won that fight and would have won it by decision. Simply put, he is younger, more hungry, more aggressive. He wanted to win a lot more…. The mat was slippery like glass. I almost fell down trying to do the left high kick. But I’m not looking for an alibi. This was not the performance the public would pay for. I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I started playing it safe, I’m not ready to take risks. I would like to thank everybody that supported me and stood by me and everyone who helped me to prepare for this fight. I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 a.m. and having physically challenging task up to 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should’ve quit after I won the open weight grand prix.

- Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

This is Mirko being humble after a big loss... I dont think his skills are diminished or body getting wornt out. He was doing good in the first round, but he kept on his gameplan even when it wasnt working for him! Dos Santos had a good gameplan and executed well! Just a question... How come Mirko lost and Dana starts bashing his mouth and wants to put him away while Randy Couture gets a 6 figh contract extension!? Hmm... Biased talaga! Bakit di nila i-set up Couture vs. Mirko!!! Dapat ata mag karon na ng UFC seniors divison eh! Hehehe... :thumbsupsmiley:

This is Mirko being humble after a big loss... I dont think his skills are diminished or body getting wornt out. He was doing good in the first round, but he kept on his gameplan even when it wasnt working for him! Dos Santos had a good gameplan and executed well! Just a question... How come Mirko lost and Dana starts bashing his mouth and wants to put him away while Randy Couture gets a 6 figh contract extension!? Hmm... Biased talaga! Bakit di nila i-set up Couture vs. Mirko!!! Dapat ata mag karon na ng UFC seniors divison eh! Hehehe... :thumbsupsmiley:

Actually, I have to defend Dana on this one (and this is rare, I tell you). On the post fight presser that I watched over at UFC.com, I never felt that Dana belittled Mirko's skills and/or his accomplishments. He's just acknowledging the grim reality that, for some fighters, age and collateral damage will catch up sooner than later. Mirko has been competing at the highest level since way back in the early 1990's in K-1. As early as when K-1 started he was already one of their Aces, alongside Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Jerome LeBanner, & the late Andy Hug. So, his career wasn't like it was gradually climbing up in competition; he was already facing the elite of his sport as early as the mid-90's. When he transitioned to MMA, he didn't have it easy too. He faced Fujita, who was the only fighter to come close to KO'ing Fedor during his peak in PRIDE. Then he faced Nobuhiko Takada, Wanderlei Silva, and in his first official MMA fight (all his prior fights were under some form of special rules) he broke Sakuraba's orbital bone, same thing that he did to Bob Sapp. Now, compared to Randy's career progression, and we'll see that Randy has longevity at his side just based on the progression of his life inside & beyond the fight game. Randy was fighting, but Mirko was fighting AND serving his duties in the Croatian Anti-Terrorist unit, and subsequently the Croatian Parliament.

Mirko will still be a draw, no matter what happens, and almost everybody is in agreement with you that he should fight Randy in his final professional fight. Actually, that matchup was what convinced Mirko to jump from PRIDE to the UFC, and after Randy's fight with Brandon Vera, win or lose, he should fight Mirko next as FINAL PRIDE VS. UFC FIGHT, which will make the hardcores (like myself) crazier than Heidi Montag in Algebra class.

Speaking of fighters going away, apparently Roger Huerta isn't going away just yet:

“I think it could have gone either way and it’s my fault I let it go to the judges and I can’t go out like that,” Huerta told Sherdog.com Sunday. “I can’t go out with two losses in a row. I don’t think I’m going to call it quits anytime soon.”

It's that old saying once again: you can take the dog out of the fight, but you can't take the fight out of the dog. Good for you, Roger. :D

One more. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is retiring from MMA:

(courtesy BloodyElbow.com)

"The UFC has done a lot for me but I think I have done more for them … this movie role came about that I have been trying to get for over a year & as soon as I found out I was close to getting it, I called Dana right away & asked to push the Memphis fight back just a month or so. I told him what this movie role meant to me. I told him that I used to bond with my father watching the tv show as a kid when my parents where still married & it represents the memories I had with my father when we lived together. My dad became an alcohalic & addicted to drugs & we grew apart. But after my dad got his life back together, I was so proud of my dad & I told him I would always take care of him in the future & make him proud of me. My dad & I are still very big fans of the show & I am basically doing this for the childhood memories I had spending time in front of the tv with my dad. Dana went on the internet & mocked me because of that & I still did nothing. Dana & I finally talked & we made up & then after that he went back on the internet & said some bullshit & he was talking bad about the movie when information is not even supposed to be released & talking about payments which is not even true could really hurt my future acting career, which could very well last longer than my fighting career. I’m not like Randy Couture. My body has been getting so many different injuries that I wont be able to fight until my forties & neither do I want to fight that long. So I feel like my second career could be in jeopardy.. so I’m done fighting. I’ve been getting negative reviews from the dumb ass fans that don’t pay my bills or put my kids though college. So I’m hanging it up. I’m gonna miss all my loyal fans but hopefully they’ll follow me to my new career & I will gain more loyal fans along the way. & all you hater fans out there can kiss my big black hairy ass! & anybody that don’t like what I just said can come try to kick my ass! I still feel the UFC is a great organization and I felt like I was very loyal to them but they didn’t respect my loyalty but I wish the UFC the best. I did a lot of things for them. I wish no bad blood between us but I have kids & a family back in Memphis to provide for & thats all that matters to me!"

Fireworks, commence! LOL

Edited by SevenZeroFive
^ IMO best time for Rampage to leave MMA. He cant beat Machida anyway so why not pursue a career in acting.

I think he'll do good in acting. Especially comedy, first episode of TUF10, i was laughing my ass off when he did that impression of Rashad gasping for air.

Goodluck Rampage!

See, the problem with this is that the reason why Rampage was in Season 10 in the first place is, in principle he committed to fighting Rashad @ UFC 107. Zuffa (Not just Dana, the entire company) pushed for the card to be in Rampage's hometown because they were expecting Rampage to fight Rashad. Sabihin na natin na doing "The A-Team" is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but that doesn't give someone the license to back off their commitment to the guys who made him who he is. Now he says "he did more for the UFC, not the other way around"? Didn't the UFC give their full support when he entered the psych ward & almost got charged with vehicular manslaughter after his hit and run deal? :thumbsdownsmiley:

The main issue here is not the level of competition that Rampage has to deal with, but the commitment he gave to the company.

Guest megalodon
^ IMO best time for Rampage to leave MMA. He cant beat Machida anyway so why not pursue a career in acting.

I agree. I don't think anyone can beat Machida in the LH division at this point.

i am disheartened by rampage's decision to leave the UFC. hopefully he's just making tampo and things will be resolved within the next few weeks. i really want to see a rashad/rampage fight. and who knows maybe if/when he returns he'll have another crack at shogun :)

it's ludicrous how he thinks he has a career in acting...geeeez

Edited by jimmii

I won't care about Rampage yet. I'm more saddened by the news that Mirko Filipovic has indeed decided to retire from the sport:

(courtesy MMABay.co.uk by way of MMA Roundup's Facebook account)

MMABay has been informed by a source close to the situation that Croatian knockout, Mirko Cro Cop has brought down the curtain on his mixed martial arts career following his most recent loss last weekend.

According to a number of Croatian MMA news sites, Cro Cop's manager, Zvonimir Lucic spoke to his training partners, Igor Pokrajcom and Sasa Mučnjak, this week to inform them that the camp will be disbanded based on the heavyweight's decision not to fight again. They were given their final payoff.

Cro Cop's decision to quit mixed martial arts will not come as a surprise to many after reading his post fight comments this week. The once feared striker admitted he had lost his drive and desire and had been finding it difficult to pull the trigger.

We wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.

He is indeed humble Unlike the other Heavyweight... (YOU KNOW WHO HE IS...) Goes beer bashing....hahahahaha Anyway hopefully Dana can convince mirko for one more final mission... Crocop VS. Captain Amerika thats gonna be a good fight... for sure...

No matter what Crocop is still a fighter to be feared... (put him on the street and he'll demilish anyone who gets in his way.

I salute the Crotian cop....

Normally it applies.. however, there are times the higher belt observes and just gives insights and lets the lower ranked instructor handle the class

yup ganyan nangyayari nga sir

Well that or normally the blue belt will only instruct if a purple or any other higher belt is not present during a particular class.

nga pala sa VPF ang coach ay si coach Ali purple belt siya kaso merong nagtratrain din sa VPF na brown belt si Ralph, when i was training there i really notice na iba ang respect ni Ralph kay coach Ali

i really don't know, siguro kasi coach Ali is a Judo black belt din and madami na din siyang experience as well

I won't care about Rampage yet. I'm more saddened by the news that Mirko Filipovic has indeed decided to retire from the sport:

(courtesy MMABay.co.uk by way of MMA Roundup's Facebook account)

MMABay has been informed by a source close to the situation that Croatian knockout, Mirko Cro Cop has brought down the curtain on his mixed martial arts career following his most recent loss last weekend.

According to a number of Croatian MMA news sites, Cro Cop's manager, Zvonimir Lucic spoke to his training partners, Igor Pokrajcom and Sasa Mučnjak, this week to inform them that the camp will be disbanded based on the heavyweight's decision not to fight again. They were given their final payoff.

Cro Cop's decision to quit mixed martial arts will not come as a surprise to many after reading his post fight comments this week. The once feared striker admitted he had lost his drive and desire and had been finding it difficult to pull the trigger.

We wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.

one of my MMA heroes retires, this is a sad day... like the day Evan Tanner died

one of my MMA heroes retires, this is a sad day... like the day Evan Tanner died

Personally, as a fan, this ranks up there as one of the saddest moments in my time as an MMA fan.

When Evan died, I was saddened and shocked because I knew that he was getting himself into deep s@%t when he made up his mind and went to Death Valley, and when I caught wind of his death I was angry and sad at the same time because it was too early. Another sad moment for me was when Ken Shamrock got destroyed by Tito Ortiz for the 3rd (and final) time on the Spike TV special card. As a fan of Ken's I didn't want to see that happen, that maybe the old veteran can pull off a miracle, but I knew that the inevitable would happen, and when it did it was so painful to see. Mirko retiring, and subsequently disbanding his entire team, I knew that it was inevitable, but I was still waiting for one last run, one last ray of sunshine, to bring some of that Cro Cop magic back to us who supported him. And the way he went out, pushing Junior off and uttering "NO MAS, NO MAS", it was the lowest of lows I'm sure for Mirko and for his fans. He'll forever be a legend in my eyes, one of the best in the history of the sport, and I'll never forget that Cro Cop magic.

There are still news items being posted on some news sites that refutes this news, but nothing can substantiate those yet. Until I hear Mirko himself refute - or confirm - these reports, I'm not hoping.

On to other - and more light hearted - news:

MMA Mania: Looks like the DREAM guys are serious about their Cage concept

Bloody Elbow: Brandon Vera & Randy Couture ain't the only ones fighting each other. Their wives will fight each other too. SERIOUSLY. LOL

MMA Junkie: John McCarthy denied NSAC license because of protocol, not politics. YEAH RIGHT.

MMA Junkie: Matt Hughes don't want no kid fighting him

Cage Potato: Herschel Walker signs multi-fight deal with Strikeforce. Guess what Dana White thinks about it?

nga pala sa VPF ang coach ay si coach Ali purple belt siya kaso merong nagtratrain din sa VPF na brown belt si Ralph, when i was training there i really notice na iba ang respect ni Ralph kay coach Ali

i really don't know, siguro kasi coach Ali is a Judo black belt din and madami na din siyang experience as well

Um, actually Ali Sulit is a senior to Ralph Go. Ali Sulit just hasn't gotten his brownbelt yet (for some reason). I remember vividly during the 06' Pan Asians I was still competing in the Basic Division with both Alan Drueco and Ralph Go (who were bluebelts at the time) and Ali already was a purple belt then. So basically eventhough Ralph is a brownbelt just in terms of seniority Ali really is a lot more experienced both as a coach and thus the show of respect.

Yes Sir! DREAM 12 will experiment with a six sided "white" cage! Hopefully the Japanese fans will accept the cage concept instead of the ring! :thumbsupsmiley:

I Hope Mirko changes his mind and give it another try @ LHW! He would be a monster in that division and not undersized! Ngayun kasi sa HW palakihan nalang eh... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Regarding BJJ... konti pa lang kasi Blackbelt d2 sa Pinas. If Im not mistaken only a blackbelt and brownbelt can rank/grade BJJ students right!? So if you train under a purple or blue belt regularly they can not grade you to a higher rank/grade!? Correct me if I'm wrong mga Sir! But if you are really serious in training BJJ then you should consider training under a Black/brown belt! :hypocritesmiley:

looks like the phenom will be next in line for a title shot for the spider's belt...i honestly don't agree with this because belfort has only had one fight in the UFC, and it wasn't even at middleweight. i really wanted to see a rematch with marquardt...but i guess it makes sense that the UFC wants anderson to fight someone he hasn't faced in the octagon

taken from http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewrite...?urn=mma,192224

ooks like the phenom will be next in line for a title shot for the spider's belt...i honestly don't agree with this because belfort has only had one fight in the UFC, and it wasn't even at middleweight. i really wanted to see a rematch with marquardt...but i guess it makes sense that the UFC wants anderson to fight someone he hasn't faced in the octagon

taken from http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewrite...?urn=mma,192224

M,arketing my dear friends... I believe hendo is more deserving but a belfort-silva match is a bigger draw than hendo-ilva or marquardt-silva

Um, actually Ali Sulit is a senior to Ralph Go. Ali Sulit just hasn't gotten his brownbelt yet (for some reason). I remember vividly during the 06' Pan Asians I was still competing in the Basic Division with both Alan Drueco and Ralph Go (who were bluebelts at the time) and Ali already was a purple belt then. So basically eventhough Ralph is a brownbelt just in terms of seniority Ali really is a lot more experienced both as a coach and thus the show of respect.

ahhh oo i remember na purple na si coach Ali nung purple belt match ni Ralph VS Pichon Garcia, sa New Breed pa sila nun

^ I train with geneticfreak he's one of the coaches :)

hehehe hindi kaya baliktad yan coach Oly? ^_^

pa double post

Octagon Girls

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/880/nl5zbq.jpg

I >:3 Logan

i love you Logan! ^_^