Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

chief genetic_freak and 0lympus sa tingin nyo is 28 years old of age a late age to start training in BJJ? your thoughts about it chief?

Nope its not. It's never too late to Start BJJ. There may be some advantages from a flexibility standpoint if you do start at an earlier age but age really doesn't matter in BJJ. We have a Japanese Student in Fabricio named Hiro Kitamura who started at age 37. Hiro is now a purple belt and has competed successfully in competitions in and out of the country (most notably he placed second in the bluebelt division in the Europe Open last year). So it's never too late to start.

chief genetic_freak and 0lympus sa tingin nyo is 28 years old of age a late age to start training in BJJ? your thoughts about it chief?

not at all. Aside from Hiro, Noel Ang and Ian Ampongan from Fabricio also started late and are doing pretty well.

Gully Go of Newbreed also started pretty late and has been doing really good in tourneys

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/stadium.weblogsinc.com/tmz/images/2008/07/_0001_Layer-1-copy-6_full.jpg

^ i dunno what the hell he was thinking, and i'm not just talking about the charges against him. have you seen the entire truck? it has his entire freaking face on it! :lol:

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/other/quinton-jackson-arrest-3.jpg

(image courtesy of MMAJunkie.com)

the latest are as follows:

1. according to some reports Rampage was "medically unfit" to be booked, and was sent to a hospital in Orange County, no confirmation yet

2. Dana White flew immediately to Cali to post bond for Rampage

3. Rampage has been released on bail

how this will hurt the UFC, and MMA in general? not much IMO, but let's see what happens.

From a marketing standpoint I actually think it just further enhances his badboy/ghetto image and may actually increase fans interest and translate into increased ticket sales for his upcoming fights. On the other side of the equation it hurts MMA as a sport, having possbily tarnished the reputation of MMA practitioners in general as being violent, rebellious and with an appetite for destruction.

Despite this incident Rampage is still Rampage and will still draw fans. In my opinion apart from Bas Rutten nobody does quite talk the talk like a Quinton Jackson add to that his penchant for exciting,"match-changing" body slams and KO power.

Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva UFC 89 fight official

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/6072/lyotomachidathiagosilvavh0.jpg

In what could be a light heavyweight title contender eliminator match, undefeated 205-pound standouts Lyoto Machida (13-0) and Thiago Silva (13-0) will tangle at UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” at the National Indoor Arena (NIA) in Birmingham, England, on October 18, according to UFC.com.

Machida has won five straight inside the Octagon, including big time bouts against Tito Ortiz, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Kazuhiro Nakamura among others. He’s perhaps one of the most difficult fighters to figure out — “The Dragon” has a technical fight style that appears to frustrate his opponents, as well as a few fans who claim he is “boring.”

Regardless, he’s been knocking on the door of a title shot for some time now. And a win over a bad dude like Silva would certainly improve his chances.

Silva brings the fierce Chute Boxe aggression into his fights (even though he is now no longer with the camp), stopping all but one of his opponents throughout his exciting mixed martial arts career. He has an explosive mix of punches and kicks, which can often leave him open to counter strikes.

However, Silva has proven that he can take punishment and dish out more … just ask Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes.

Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva UFC 89 fight official

^ not the Silva most are salivating about for a Lyoto fight, but a good matchup nonetheless. this could actually determine (to the hardcores, at least) who gets first dibs at Forrest.

From a marketing standpoint I actually think it just further enhances his badboy/ghetto image and may actually increase fans interest and translate into increased ticket sales for his upcoming fights. On the other side of the equation it hurts MMA as a sport, having possbily tarnished the reputation of MMA practitioners in general as being violent, rebellious and with an appetite for destruction.

Despite this incident Rampage is still Rampage and will still draw fans. In my opinion apart from Bas Rutten nobody does quite talk the talk like a Quinton Jackson add to that his penchant for exciting,"match-changing" body slams and KO power.

^ not to diss (should make that clear, much respect for a fellow MAist), but isn't kicking ass enough for street cred? i mean, it worked for Kimbo Slice of all people. this incident, regardless of how isolated this is, just gives the trolls like Bill O'Reilly & Jim Lampley more bullets to fire away against the sport.

i just hope, against all odds, that Rampage gets out of this untarnished & a better person after this rampage of his...

^ not to diss (should make that clear, much respect for a fellow MAist), but isn't kicking ass enough for street cred? i mean, it worked for Kimbo Slice of all people. this incident, regardless of how isolated this is, just gives the trolls like Bill O'Reilly & Jim Lampley more bullets to fire away against the sport.

i just hope, against all odds, that Rampage gets out of this untarnished & a better person after this rampage of his...

No diss taken brother. :thumbsupsmiley: and yah i do see your point MMA is still young compared to other sports (and still trying to establish itself on the mainstream) and this incident only gives its detractors more ammo against it.

We all do hope the damage done to the image of MMA as a sport (and Rampage's career in particular) is minimal at best.

Man! This Rampage incidents getting serious?! Think he's suffering from depression after losing to Forrest Griffin! Maybe he took his lost too seriously!? I also read that his on "religious tirade" lately!? Man I know a couple of person gone thru this and it's really not funny!? He always claims his been "reborn" when he became Born again!? No offense to Christians but some I really find weird when they bring God and religion all the time, like they are part of Gods plan or something. He definitely needs some professional/ medical help! :hypocritesmiley:

hahaha a lot of people like him are like that, a lot of African Americans would preach to you on a Sunday and be smoking crack the next day man, so i'm not really convinced about Rampage being serious about being born again. never the less the stunt he pulled just made him a household name to people who would love to diss MMA as a whole.

@geneticfreak & 0lympus thanks for the feedback chief, i now am very much convinced to enroll at a BJJ school, with Gi of course, i wouldn't be able to handle no Gi fighting as my body frame would be a liability. ^_^

@lyoto thiago fight! yeah! thats what i'm talking about! lets go thiago! no diss to lyoto, i'm a converted fan too but thiago is such a bad man ^_^

i just read a forum hwose topic was a comment from lyoto about the UFC/Dana White will have Chuck have first dibs on Forrest as Chuck is "malakas" with Dana... then there are those mooks saying na lyoto still hasn't proven anything... your thoughts?

i just read a forum hwose topic was a comment from lyoto about the UFC/Dana White will have Chuck have first dibs on Forrest as Chuck is "malakas" with Dana... then there are those mooks saying na lyoto still hasn't proven anything... your thoughts?

Well there's a saying in combat sports that goes "your only as good as your last fight". Well let's analyze not just the last but the most recent fights of Lyoto Machida to see if there's some merit to the statement above.

He wasn't able to KO Nakamura (though he clearly dominated him and Nakamura has one hell of a chin and that famous fighting spirit the Jap fighters are known for)

He choked out Sokoudju with an arm triangle (which I thought was impressive because it finally showed that he has a ground game)

He retired Tito from the UFC with a decision victory (again quite dominant apart from the fact that he nearly got caught in a triangle choke/armbar at the very end)

Considering the fact that Tito's back is already a liability and he no longer has the sprint to take people down with that double leg shot (has also affected his strategy of pinning people to the cage and taking double underhooks for his takedowns) I guess we can say that Machida fought a Tito who was already on the way down and thus that might have helped him.

On the Sokoudju fight he was fighting someone who I believe was having trouble adjusting to the octagon, with that fight being his first time. I was however impressed by the strength Machida showed. being able to stand up immediately after getting taken down by the South African and being able to control him on the ground en route to that triangle choke victory.

Lastly I felt he could have knocked Nakamura out if he just put a lil bit more 'oomph' into it.

Let's also take into account his unique style that nobody has figured out yet.

So what do we have. What we have are mixed results. And what this analysis shows is Machida does need that one fight. That one "validating" fight which will show if he really belongs to the cream of the crop of the LHW division. I don't think it'll be this fight with Thiago perhaps it will serve as a stepping stone towards that "validating" fight that he needs to be considered for a title shot.

Speaking of Thiago I think he's in the same boat with Machida. If he wins I think he'll get his shot at validation.

The LHW division is jampacked with fighters who could serve as the opponent unto the validation either of these two young bulls deserve. You got the recently dethroned champ Quinton Jackson, Chuck Lidell, Keith Jardine, Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio Rua there are so many possibilities.

Just my two cents.

Edited by geneticfreak

i agree with you, but you have to be really impressed with that Lyoto win over Soku. Soku is a big mofo and Lyoto had him tapping in the end. the Tito fight is a different story, if Tito was at his prime, he'd probably KOed Lyoto or GnPed him to submission. take note i'm a Lyoto fan ^_^

@geneticfreak & 0lympus thanks for the feedback chief, i now am very much convinced to enroll at a BJJ school, with Gi of course, i wouldn't be able to handle no Gi fighting as my body frame would be a liability.

nope, your body can manage no gi. but it would be a wise choice to start with gi

Nothing teaches the basics in BJJ like gi training. the slower pace puts a premium on technique, on the step by step approach to how a particular position is reached or how a particular lock or hold is applied.

Pero tama din si sir Olympus your body can certainly handle no-gi wala naman sa itsura yan. Sa grappling naman kasi you make the most of your body type if your heavily built you try to stay on top and use your size to hold down positions. if your long and lanky naman u have an advantage in fighting from the guard especially if you do develop the needed flexibility and you have long legs which you can use to get someone in an armbar or a triangle from the bottom as I have seen Ralph Go do so many times in competitions. It's really up to you and how you use the tools you've been given to excel in BJJ.

Goodluck in your training. I'll see you in December perhaps. At the Phil International Gi and No gi tourneys.

Edited by geneticfreak
Nothing teaches the basics in BJJ like gi training. the slower pace puts a premium on technique, on the step by step approach to how a particular position is reached or how a particular lock or hold is applied.

Pero tama din si sir Olympus your body can certainly handle no-gi wala naman sa itsura yan. Sa grappling naman kasi you make the most of your body type if your heavily built you try to stay on top and use your size to hold down positions. if your long and lanky naman u have an advantage in fighting from the guard especially if you do develop the needed flexibility and you have long legs which you can use to get someone in an armbar or a triangle from the bottom as I have seen Ralph Go do so many times in competitions. It's really up to you and how you use the tools you've been given to excel in BJJ.

Goodluck in your training. I'll see you in December perhaps. At the Phil International Gi and No gi tourneys.

i'd still have a long way to go before i'd be able to join comps, the only thing i do right now would be to youtube search a hold and find an instructional vid for it and practice the hold with my lazy cousin. hehehe

i was taking in consideration the pace of teaching the technique as well, if the Gi does it slower then it would be more of my pace, lazy and slow ^_^ besides parang ang hirap ng naka butterfly guard ^_^

i'd still have a long way to go before i'd be able to join comps, the only thing i do right now would be to youtube search a hold and find an instructional vid for it and practice the hold with my lazy cousin. hehehe

i was taking in consideration the pace of teaching the technique as well, if the Gi does it slower then it would be more of my pace, lazy and slow ^_^ besides parang ang hirap ng naka butterfly guard ^_^

your best bet is to enroll in a class since nothing beats having someone knowledgeable go over the details in the technique.

Yup, butterfly guard is difficult. I'm just happy with open guard, but still working on it a lot

your best bet is to enroll in a class since nothing beats having someone knowledgeable go over the details in the technique.

Yup, butterfly guard is difficult. I'm just happy with open guard, but still working on it a lot

Hehe ako I love the Spider Guard pag naka gi. Tapos I like using the half guard during either gi or no gi to get someone's back or setup a sweep. Also the half guard kinda lulls the person on top into a false sense of security which I also take advantage of.