Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

2 things.

Vera must lean how to disengage in the clinch since this is how Sylvia and Werdum dominated him

Find better guys to train with, especially in the ground. he had no ground defense whatsoever

and yeah, move down to LHW. However, i think he just might get axed by Dan White after what happened

as for Hughes, he's just outdated and old. Though I'd love to see him beat Mat "Joe Pesci" Serra so at least he goes out with a bang

Of course, he wont be able to punch Werdum, he was mounted?!

The best defense was to cover, which he was doing.. Werdum threw punches that never really stunned him..

Brandon would have survived that round if not for the ref..

What I would agree though is that he needs to go down to 205 or 185.

Nah I disagree. It was not a bad call by the ref vera defendED himself from a barrage of punches by covering his face all the time, and that is NOT AN INTELLIGENT DEFENSE in MMA. Hell he wasnt even trying to buck his opponent off of him neither did he try to move his opponent closer to him to nullify those punches. Ive seen a lot of MMA fighters counter a full mount by doing what i have mentioned.

Im not saying that im better than vera he would certainly whoop my ass. But he should polish his grappling skills and consider adding judo to his training method.

Vera became a victim of an ouchi gari and another sweep I forgot what its called. Vera had no idea how to counter them. I didnt know that Fabricio Werdum had a judo background.

Edited by M16A2
Find better guys to train with, especially in the ground. he had no ground defense whatsoever

and yeah, move down to LHW. However, i think he just might get axed by Dan White after what happened

correct 2x

he's turning one dimensional

Hell he wasnt even trying to buck his opponent off of him neither did he try to move his opponent closer to him to nullify those punches.

you can't buck if you have Werdum's feet under your back

punching would just open you up to more (heavier) punches from above

it's not as easy as it looks

he shouldn't have been mounted in the first place, Brandon had a very weak guard game, another thing he should develop.

It's not a controversial loss for Vera. As you can see, he's not even defending himself very well. He didnt even bother to punch or counter the attack. Might be better for him to go back here and join URCC instead. Or might be best if he could use Richard Gutierrez as his sparring partner for his next fight. WAR TEAM GUTIERREZ! :evil:

I agree... :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Nah I disagree. It was not a bad call by the ref vera defendED himself from a barrage of punches by covering his face all the time, and that is NOT AN INTELLIGENT DEFENSE in MMA. Hell he wasnt even trying to buck his opponent off of him neither did he try to move his opponent closer to him to nullify those punches. Ive seen a lot of MMA fighters counter a full mount by doing what i have mentioned.

Im not saying that im better than vera he would certainly whoop my ass. But he should polish his grappling skills and consider adding judo to his training method.

Vera became a victim of an ouchi gari and another sweep I forgot what its called. Vera had no idea how to counter them. I didnt know that Fabricio Werdum had a judo background.

sana yun nga ginawa nya.. kaya lang he can't reach werdum's head.. early stoppage by ref,for me. If he allowed Werdum to connect with 2-3 solid punches then I wont complain.

anyway, parang ka-built lang ni Vera si Bisping.. Bakit di na lang sya mag-slide sa 185?

Magaling pala mag tagalog si Brandon Vera ano... Bad Call talaga yun, OO nga inuulan sya ng suntok ni Werdum pero wala naman malinaw na suntok na tumatama sa kanya eh... Besides, yung referee alam naman nyang 20secs na lang siguro ang natitira binigyan man lang sana nya ng chance si vera... Sandali na lang yun, 20secs na lang eh...

sana yun nga ginawa nya.. kaya lang he can't reach werdum's head.. early stoppage by ref,for me. If he allowed Werdum to connect with 2-3 solid punches then I wont complain.

anyway, parang ka-built lang ni Vera si Bisping.. Bakit di na lang sya mag-slide sa 185?

awww common give vera a break. He only has 2 losses in mma he still has a good record of 8-2 in MMA.

He lost his last fight ONLY via a decision to sylvia and he is 6'8. What vera could do is improve his ground game and

learn how to counter those takedowns.

If I recall correctly karo parisyan made a comment that mma fighters losses get stuck to people's minds but

they swiftly forget your wins.

awww common give vera a break. He only has 2 losses in mma he still has a good record of 8-2 in MMA.

He lost his last fight ONLY via a decision to sylvia and he is 6'8. What vera could do is improve his ground game and

learn how to counter those takedowns.

If I recall correctly karo parisyan made a comment that mma fighters losses get stuck to people's minds but

they swiftly forget your wins.

because his losses were came from legit HWs..

sino ba tinalo nya na legit HW? an overrated Frank Mir?

His losses are signs that he should move down in weight.. He can improve his game & dominate opponents if he's in alower weight class (eg Evans, Jardine, Bisping).

breaks of the game, you win some you lose some.

ganun lang talaga siguro, Werdum caught Vera in a bad position and Dan might have thought there was a flash KO so he stopped the fight. s@%t happens talaga, all that Brandon can do now is train his ground game coz his guard is shitty so he can avoid what had happened with the Werdum fight to repeat itself.

breaks of the game, you win some you lose some.

ganun lang talaga siguro, Werdum caught Vera in a bad position and Dan might have thought there was a flash KO so he stopped the fight. s@%t happens talaga, all that Brandon can do now is train his ground game coz his guard is shitty so he can avoid what had happened with the Werdum fight to repeat itself.

Bro,I don't think his guard is shitty at all. I had a chance to train with him back when he was preparing for Assuerio Silva (he was here in manila at that time and he was kind enough to grace a training session of SPRAWL MMA and lead the practice he still wasn't that famous then) and he does have a good guard. Lets not forget that he himself is a BJJ Brownbelt and is a former Grappler's Quest Heavyweight Champion. The level of Werdum's BJJ is just such a high level. That guard pass straight to mount was quite something.

I just didn't expect him to take Brandon down that easily.

Anyhow moving on,yah I agree with some of you here that he should move down in weight. Kayang kaya naman niya e the problem is he just likes eating too much and eating carbs at that. Back then when he trained with us he told us that there was a time that all he did eat for a couple of months was pancakes,cakes and ice cream. He weighed in at 228 for the fight with werdum. Forrest Griffin cuts down from 240. Kayang kaya naman niya mag LHW e.

The referees were kinda sloppy a couple of times during the last UFC. Una the premature stoppage in Brandon's fight tapos that 'sloppy' deduction by Herb Dean in Marquardt's fight which cost him the win against Leites.

By the way that Wiman and Thiago Tavares fight was quite something noh?! amazing BJJ. Both of them had each other in an armbar, a triangle choke, heel hook and omo plata. Cool.

Also, the submission of the night by Kevin Burns against that guy Caniero (this was an unaired preliminary fight) that was something. Imagine a BJJ bluebelt (Burns) submitting a Pan-Am BJJ Blackbelt Champion (Caniero) via triangle choke. Iba tlaga pag MMA the belt just goes out of the window.

i think vera should take at least one more crack at the heavyweight title before fedor joins the ufc.. if that happens, then he should definitely move down to lhw coz there is a slim chance of anyone really beating fedor at his game.. btw, is there any chance that he can also move all the way down to middleweight? bisping once said that he walks around at 230 lbs and cutting down 40+lbs of weight did him wonders as of now.. that is, until he fights anderson silva.. :D

Talaga, UFC is coming to Manila? :thumbsupsmiley:

Well, kung totoo ito I certainly hope they do a good job promoting it. Was anybody here able to watch the 'Ring of Fire' dun sa Araneta (which featured teams led by Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Kimo and featured stars like Renato Sobral, Rico Rodriguez and Heath Herring doing the play by play) sayang yun. It was a big event but they only started to promote the event about two weeks before it was held. Di pa masyadong napansin.

If the UFC does come to manila I hope they do an ample time of promotional work.

i think vera should take at least one more crack at the heavyweight title before fedor joins the ufc.. if that happens, then he should definitely move down to lhw coz there is a slim chance of anyone really beating fedor at his game.. btw, is there any chance that he can also move all the way down to middleweight? bisping once said that he walks around at 230 lbs and cutting down 40+lbs of weight did him wonders as of now.. that is, until he fights anderson silva.. :D

kaya nya siguro but he would be really skinny at 185. Anyhow here's me with Brandon around 2006 while he was preparing for Assuerio Silva. Took the time to be with us at Sprawl MMA at UP Diliman. He wasn't as famous back then.

I'm around 5'10 so judging from the pic he's about 6'2 so 6'2, 185 lbs. is possible pero yun nga ang payat na nya non sobra.

post-176971-1213336047.jpg

Edited by geneticfreak

Oo! 185lbs. at 6'2 ft. payat na masyado yun! Look at M. Bisping! Improve lang ng ground game ni Vera, OK sya sa HeavyWeight he's not undersized, look at Fedor 6 ft. flat lang sya yet he's the best heavyweight out there! UFC in Manila so I've heard but not anytime soon... they havent been to Brazil or Japan yet!? Mga 1-2 years pa cguro before they visit Manila. URCC 12 lapit na pala! WAR Caloy Baduria! KO by rnd. 1 :thumbsupsmiley:

yes he is undersized

at 225 brandon has the beginnings of a gut already, he's easily overpowered by bigger and heavier opponents, and he doesn't have the mass to deal with it

Fedor is a natural heavyweight, I bet he walks around at 230 - 245 and cuts just a little prior to a fight.

Brandon on the other hand seems to be a natural LHW.

----

anyway Rickson Gracie bitchslaps the incredible hulk in the new incredible hulk movie

which makes it the most awesomest movie of all time now

im not sure if "payat" is the right term kasi look at anderson silva.. 6'2 din sya and 185 lbs pero parang chicken legs nga lang sya..

pero i do agree na ideal weight para kay vera is lhw dahil bukod sa mas malaki na sya sa mga opponents nya, wala pang masyadong fighters na nagdominate sa division na yan.. Although you can say na deep talaga ang talent level sa lhw, with proper specific opponent training, he can also string up consecutive wins just like he did when he started fighting in the ufc.. ang mga nakikita ko lang na mga opponents na medyo mahihirapan sya is yung mga kagaya nila thiago silva and lyoto machida.. i dont think mahihirapan sya masyado sa mga knockout artists like wanderlei, iceman and rampage kasi he's proven that he can take a hit..