Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

love to see the Kos Rumble match again minus the eye pokes..

oh and btw, Kos was not hit by the knee and he was holding the wrong eye.. just bought himself some time to recover..

but taking nothing away from him, he did outwrestle a good wrestler in Rumble.. and he got damn paid for his efforts..

i just had a thought, how much did Fedor got in his last match??

UFC always publishes their fighter salaries, I have not seen any for SF events..

Para sa idol kong si The Prodigy

BJ Penn – Seven Defining Moments

By Thomas Gerbasi

On December 12th, UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn steps back into the Octagon to defend his crown for the third time against Diego Sanchez in the main event of UFC 107. It’s the latest big fight for ‘The Prodigy’ and one which may very well join the seven fights below as a defining moment in his career.

Caol Uno – November 2, 2001 – UFC 34

Result – Penn KO1

Penn burst on the UFC scene in May of 2001, when he made his pro debut with a first round stoppage of Joey Gilbert at UFC 31. After following that win up with a stoppage of legitimate contender Din Thomas in the first round at UFC 32, he was pitted against Japanese star Caol Uno in what was seen as yet another test. Penn - who admitted staying up nights with a nervous energy while waiting for the fight to come - tore out of his corner at the opening bell, and 11 seconds later, he was victorious after a vicious striking demonstration. What most may remember from the fight though is Penn sprinting out of the Octagon and back to his locker room after the fight, showing that there is no one in the fight game quite like him.

Jens Pulver I – January 11, 2002 – UFC 35

Result – Pulver W5

To most observers, this fight should have been over before it started. No one gave reigning lightweight champ Pulver a chance of beating Penn in this one, yet after one of the grittiest performances in UFC history, “Lil’ Evil’ successfully defended his crown by beating Penn via a five round decision. The loss crushed the heavily favored Hawaiian. “I didn’t know what I was gonna do with my life or my career,” he remembered. “Everything was in shambles. I didn’t know what to think, I didn’t know where to go. The only thing I was sure about was that it was a great learning experience. But I didn’t know where to go. I didn’t know what was up, what was down, what was left, what was right, or what was going on.”

Matt Hughes I – January 31, 2004 – UFC 46

Result – Penn Wsub1

Penn returned four months after the Pulver fight and stopped Paul Creighton in two less than compelling rounds. He then won a close decision over Matt Serra in a bout some believed the New Yorker won, and then fought Uno again for the title Pulver vacated, but this time, the two went to an unsatisfying five round draw. A win over Takanori Gomi in a non-UFC bout in Hawaii was a more positive result, but it wasn’t until his return at UFC 46 that people got a glimpse of the ‘real’ BJ Penn again, as he moved up 15 pounds to the welterweight division and shocked the world with a first round submission of the seemingly unbeatable Matt Hughes. Finally, BJ Penn was a champion…

Lyoto Machida – March 26, 2005 – K-1 Hero’s 1

Result – Machida W3

The new welterweight champ wouldn’t stick around long, and after a contract dispute, Penn left the UFC. Following his departure, he wasted little time getting back into action, as he submitted Duane Ludwig in the first round just four months after beating Hughes. What followed was a somewhat bizarre three fight string that saw him moving up even further in weight to take on Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie and current UFC light heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida. Amazingly enough, Penn won two of the three bouts, only dropping a decision to Machida in a heavyweight bout in March of 2005. Penn heard the criticism of his decision to jump around weight wise, but for him, it was just another way of testing the philosophies of his first love, jiu-jitsu. “Jiu-jitsu was created where the small man can beat the big man, and I’ve been doing jiu-jitsu since I was 17 years old, and that has always stuck in my head throughout all the time and all the way until now,” said Penn. “It’s ingrained in me that I believe I have a chance. I know that something’s gonna happen, the guy’s gonna make a mistake and I’m gonna get that armlock or get that choke.”

Georges St-Pierre – March 4, 2006 – UFC 58

Result – St-Pierre W3

While Penn was gone from the UFC, Montreal’s Georges St-Pierre made his mark on the welterweight division and was zooming in towards a title shot. But Penn, quick to reclaim his territory in his first fight back in the Octagon in over two years, dominated the first round against St-Pierre, bloodying his foe and leading most to believe that the fight might soon be over. No one told GSP though, as he roared back and won the next two rounds on two judges’ scorecards, earning a three round split decision in the process.

Jens Pulver II – June 23, 2007 – The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale

Result – Penn Wsub2

Penn had reached a crossroads in his career after the losses to St-Pierre and in his September 2006 rematch with Hughes - Re-dedicate himself or become an opponent. Penn decided to drop to 155 pounds again, and he set his sights on an old rival – Jens Pulver. “I was searching and wondering who I was in the fight game and then I went back and watched my first fight against Joey Gilbert and then I remembered who I was,” said Penn. “I was that guy, and then I started doing everything and getting back on top. It was wanting to fight Jens Pulver again that got me back on the horse.” Add in six weeks of competition as rival coaches on the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter, and the rivalry hit a nice boil by the time Penn evened the score with a second round submission that revived his career.

Joe Stevenson – January 19, 2008 – UFC 80

Result – Penn Wsub2

It took him six years, but Penn finally won the UFC lightweight title when he submitted Joe Stevenson in the second round. It was a satisfying victory for him, and one that got him even more excited for the fights to come in the next few years. “Something just awoke inside of me where I said ‘what are you doing? You can beat every one of these people. You’ve been doing it half-assed all this time and it’s time to finally step up and let’s see it.’ If you can’t, you can’t, but at least you know you tried. Words can’t explain how pumped I am about fighting right now. It’s what I am, it’s who I am, and it’s what I want to be.”

UFC 109: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Brandon Vera official for 'Relentless' on Feb. 6

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/223650/relentless-tix_medium.jpg

Surging light heavyweight and UFC sophomore Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (18-3) has officially agreed to throw hands with hot-and-cold cage veteran Brandon Vera (11-4) at UFC 109: "Relentless" from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Feb. 6.

Nogueira -- the younger (by seven seconds) twin brother of UFC heavyweight contender Rodrigo "Minotauro" -- recently agreed to a multi-fight deal with the organization. "Lil' Nog" made his debut a memorable one, stopping fast-rising prospect Luis Cane via technical knockout for the first time in "Banha's" career.

The win was "Minotoro's" sixth straight.

In addition to pounding out Edwin "Babyface" DeWees at Affliction: "Banned" in July of 2008, Nogueira got his much sought-after revenge on Vladimir Matyushenko by knocking out "The Janitor" in the second round of their 2002 rematch at Affliction: "Day of Reckoning" this past January.

A convincing win over Vera could put him at the top of a very short list of 205-pound title contenders.

Star-divide

"The Truth" thought the judges were lying when they announced Randy Couture the winner of their UFC 105 match on Nov. 14. Vera was confident he had done more (and more damage) during his battle with "The Natural" in Manchester but it wasn't to be for the former heavyweight.

Prior to the Couture scrap, Vera last saw action at UFC 102 back on August 29 in Portland, battering former TUF contestant Krzysztof Soszynski on the main card en route to a judges decision.

If he can do the same to Nogueira, it will go a long way in reestablishing him as a force in the light heavyweight division.

UFC 109 is expected to feature a light heavyweight battle between elder statesmen Randy "The Natural" Couture and Mark "The Hammer" Coleman. Aging UFC welterweights Matt Serra and Frank Trigg are also slated to hook 'em up.

Guest megalodon

The Penn-Sanchez match-up is a match-up wherein it's difficult to pick a winner. BJ should take it to the ground if he wants to increase his chances of winning coz Diego has the advantage in striking.

Edited by megalodon
The Penn-Sanchez match-up is a match-up wherein it's difficult to pick a winner. BJ should take it to the ground if he wants to increase his chances of winning coz Diego has the advantage in striking.

I'm not quite sure if diego does have any advantage in striking. IMO both diego and penn have boxing as their striking base and BJ IMO has the crisper jabs and is the more technical boxer of the two. Remember the Koscheck - Sanchez fight? Diego clearly got outclassed in boxing then by Koscheck.

That being said... BJ still is better off bringing Sanchez to the ground where he has an even bigger advantage over the former TUF winner.

UFC 109: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Brandon Vera official for 'Relentless' on Feb. 6

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/223650/relentless-tix_medium.jpg

Surging light heavyweight and UFC sophomore Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (18-3) has officially agreed to throw hands with hot-and-cold cage veteran Brandon Vera (11-4) at UFC 109: "Relentless" from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Feb. 6.

Nogueira -- the younger (by seven seconds) twin brother of UFC heavyweight contender Rodrigo "Minotauro" -- recently agreed to a multi-fight deal with the organization. "Lil' Nog" made his debut a memorable one, stopping fast-rising prospect Luis Cane via technical knockout for the first time in "Banha's" career.

The win was "Minotoro's" sixth straight.

In addition to pounding out Edwin "Babyface" DeWees at Affliction: "Banned" in July of 2008, Nogueira got his much sought-after revenge on Vladimir Matyushenko by knocking out "The Janitor" in the second round of their 2002 rematch at Affliction: "Day of Reckoning" this past January.

A convincing win over Vera could put him at the top of a very short list of 205-pound title contenders.

Star-divide

"The Truth" thought the judges were lying when they announced Randy Couture the winner of their UFC 105 match on Nov. 14. Vera was confident he had done more (and more damage) during his battle with "The Natural" in Manchester but it wasn't to be for the former heavyweight.

Prior to the Couture scrap, Vera last saw action at UFC 102 back on August 29 in Portland, battering former TUF contestant Krzysztof Soszynski on the main card en route to a judges decision.

If he can do the same to Nogueira, it will go a long way in reestablishing him as a force in the light heavyweight division.

UFC 109 is expected to feature a light heavyweight battle between elder statesmen Randy "The Natural" Couture and Mark "The Hammer" Coleman. Aging UFC welterweights Matt Serra and Frank Trigg are also slated to hook 'em up.

Epic Fight Card

Lil Nog, Vera,Nate,Maia,Kosh. Can't wait. Phillipe Norver is also in UFC 109

The Filipino Wrecking machine will fight in UFC 108.

wala naman kelangan patunayan si Iceman eh, 2-0 na sya kay ortiz! wala ng maisip si Dana White, bakit di na lang si Shogun at Lyoto ang gawing coach, tapos ramatch na uli sila

Shogun at Lyoto ac coaches? Malabo mangyari yun. Unless na lang gusto ng mga Americans na manood ng The Ultimate Fighter ng may mga subtitles. At laging may kasama tranalator si Dana White and yung mga aspiring UFC fighters.

it has been a while since the last time i posted here

my pics for the main event Pen and Mir... i also pic ken flo...

I'm looking forward to noguera vs. vera.. no matter what people say or how vera has been performing in his last few fights I would NEVER bet against a fellow Filipino.. siguro bababaan ko nalang pusta..

Should Lil nog win his next few fights and assuming lyoto wins his (which he will) will the two fight? both of them are black house fighters... hmmmm I don't think so.. lil nog will want a noguera rua 2 as shogun won via a close decision againast lil nog in pride

Not yet finalize:

Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua are having a rematch for the Light-heavyweight Championship. At UFC 104 the two fought to a unanimous decision for Lyoto Machida, with the scores of 48-47, 48-47, 48-47. The decision was hotly contested by fans, media and UFC employees alike. The rematch is scheduled for May 1, 2010 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.

Dana said he gauranteed the fight bet mir and congo will end either KO or submitted? was he right? hehe. congo was KO'ed via choke...

maypagkakalagyan si brock kay mir @250lbs... galing

nagmukhang franckenstein si diego sanchez... samantalang ang linis ng mukha ni BJ after 5 rnds. outclassed na outclassed. sabi nga ni joe.. nasa ibang galaxy sya... again i really believe kung hindi dahil sa puruntong na shorts di siguro nagulpi ni GSP si BJ.... dapat isa pang BJ -GSP catch weight.