Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

just have to share this sweet WEC gif

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Okkun/mma/valencia_owning_slowmo.gif

I've never seen a suplex used like that in MMA before, it's awesome!

^ that actually reminded me of Dan Severn's UFC debut.. he did the same thing to Anthony Macias or whatever his name is.. great stuff! :cool:

now, to the topic of MMA overtaking boxing.. in terms of popularity there is a distinct chance that MMA will indeed overtake boxing, but to say that the sweet science will die as a result is pretty farfetched.. boxing is the old school, & it will never go away.. it's just that the really exciting fights are very few and very far in between, unlike in MMA wherein every fight (from dark matches to prelims to the main card) has the potential to be fight of the night..

count me in with everybody who got hooked to MMA because of the grappling.. i've done karate & kickboxing for almost my entire childhood, & for me to see armbars and such for the first time was a real thrill.. the only thing that surpassed that was passing out to a triangle (which i actually did)..

oh, & the Guida - Huerta fight in the TUF 6 finale is a must see! now that's MMA! :cool:

here's the official statement from GRACIEMAG.com regarding Ryan Gracie's passing:

The world of MMA and its founding family suffered a tragic loss this Saturday morning. Ryan Gracie has passed on from causes not yet known while incarcerated in Sao Paulo. The Gracie, who is most known for his performances in Pride Fighting Championship, was being held for alleged car theft and attempting to steal a motorcycle armed with a kitchen knife. After failing to start the motorcycle and being restrained by companions of the motorcycle's owner, Ryan was detained by police. The cause of his death has not yet been determined, although the fact that toxicology exams were performed prior to his death suggests drugs are thought to be involved. GRACIEMAG.com sympathizes and sends its condolences out to Ryan's family, many of whom are in California for the World No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu Championship.

http://www.graciemag.com/news/51/ARTICLE/8...2007-12-15.html

RIP Ryan Gracie

-----

here's the full sequence of events, swiped from the UG:

Ryan was at home that night. He was on some Psych meds from his doctor, He decided to take some cocain and smoke some weed. He started to freak out and thought that people where after him. He ran out and jacked a car from an old man at knife point. He drove the car and crashed into a bench. after the crash he tried to jack another car but the driver took off. He then tried to steal a motorcycle but the friends of the guy on the bike stopped him and beat him up and held him until the police came. He was put into solitary confinement at the jail. While in jail he was having a hard time breathing but the jailors did nothing for him. At roll call in the morning he did not respond and the jailors found him dead. No pulse and red liquid coming from his mouth. The police chief said he thought he may have had a heart attack. The funeral is on sunday afternoon.

-----

I feel bad for Renzo

Edited by Larry
K1 or kickboxing has been around since the 70s and it still hasn't come close to boxing in terms of revenue generated and superstar recognition.

UFC has been around for only 10 years and has been steadily gaining notoriety in mainstream media.

so the answer is no, K1 will not overtake boxing anytime soon.

Probably your right, I just personally think that K1 can be more comparable to boxing when it comes to excitement and action. However, popularity wise, it is still really lagging behind, but it is not because the sport has lacking the enthusiam level as boxing, but because it has not entered the AMERICAN mainstream media yet.

Lets put it this way, sports popularity (or even on other media bodies) doesn't really depend on its quality. Before it can be a worldwide phenomena, it has to be popular first in the US mainland.

So it's either you have to be handled by an AMERICAN major networks or promoter before it can be recognized worldwide.

Edited by Mike Chester
, but it is not because the sport has lacking the enthusiam level as boxing, but because it has not entered the AMERICAN mainstream media yet.

K1 actually has a leg up on UFC in terms of exposure opportunity as it is being shown on ESPN 2 in the states, the same channel that shows Friday Night Fights, and The X Games both of which are very popular in the mainstream.

It has the potential to be an exciting event, the American audience just doesn't appreciate it as much as boxing or as much as MMA.

Lets put it this way, sports popularity (or even on other media bodies) doesn't really depend on its quality.

actually, quality is one of the main reasons why K1 didn't catch on in the states. Unathletic fighters (for the undercards mostly), questionable judging, freak show fights etc.

pretty boy is thiking of moving into mma

lets see if this will push thru

that's just PBF talking out of his ass again

Only an idiot will move from earning $20M per fight to roughly about $100k a year, just to prove a point.

besides PBF will get killed, lots of guys in MMA in his weightclass would seriously maul him.