Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Red corner has muay thai! im not sure when but ill ask

yes red corner has muay thai, but most of the trainers come from the amateur muah thati assoc. of the phil. this is the muay thai gym located in the ultra bleachers...there are no fixed schedule of classes, so you can go as early as 7am or as late as 9pm and anytime in between except during lunch

krav maga? american combatives? where could i go to get some training. i think learning these styles are best for today's world. MY FEMALE FRIENDS GOT A TASTE OF STREET VIOLENCE LAST WEEK IN LIBIS WHILE CLUBBING. SOME GUYS THOUGHT THEY WERE FAIR GAME AND TRIED TO FORCE THEM INTO THEIR VAN. HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR SOME BYSTANDERS, WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPEN. SO MY FRIENDS ARE ASKING WHERE THEY COULD GET SOME AUTHENTIC TRAINING. GUNS AAND KNIVES ARE TOO LETHAL AND CAUSE LEGAL PREDICAMENTS. PLEASE HELP ME OUT FOR MY FRIENDS SAKE.

I saw in Gameplan a couple of years ago, a group that teaches self-defense class for females, but I can't remember the groups name. What I can suggest is reality-based fighting like what you've mentioned i.e. Krav Maga. Filipino Martial Arts is very useful in self-defense situations, because it will teach you both empty-handed and weapons based fighting. Guns and knives are fair game especially in a life or death situation, but for practical and financial purposes there are a lot of knives that are available in the market that can be used in self-defense scenarios. It's okay to carry a knife for self-defense purposes just as long as it does not exceed 2.5 or is it 3.5 inches in length. Feel free to PM me if you need help in finding martial arts instructors for your friends.

I saw in Gameplan a couple of years ago, a group that teaches self-defense class for females, but I can't remember the groups name. What I can suggest is reality-based fighting like what you've mentioned i.e. Krav Maga. Filipino Martial Arts is very useful in self-defense situations, because it will teach you both empty-handed and weapons based fighting. Guns and knives are fair game especially in a life or death situation, but for practical and financial purposes there are a lot of knives that are available in the market that can be used in self-defense scenarios. It's okay to carry a knife for self-defense purposes just as long as it does not exceed 2.5 or is it 3.5 inches in length. Feel free to PM me if you need help in finding martial arts instructors for your friends.

novice, i watched the episode you were refering to in gameplan pero it was ecletic, halo-halo, and did not account the fact that your assailant(s) may attack a woman as he would a man,. which would involve fully power swings and straights, kicks etc. instead of grabes, bearhugs and the like. guns are best pero may legal ramifications, and knives well my swiss army knife was treated as a weapon by the police and naglagay pa ako para lang maka-settle. (the law on defensive knife is very vague in the phils.) kaya all you have are your hands, feet, etc. ( canes and sticks are cumbersome) to fight with. anyway thanks . I'll tell my female friends about FMA, pero i doubt if they will try. May pagka J.Lo (as in the movie ENOUGH) ang type nila.

novice, i watched the episode you were refering to in gameplan pero it was ecletic, halo-halo, and did not account the fact that your assailant(s) may attack a woman as he would a man,. which would involve fully power swings and straights, kicks etc. instead of grabes, bearhugs and the like. guns are best pero may legal ramifications, and knives well my swiss army knife was treated as a weapon by the police and naglagay pa ako para lang maka-settle. (the law on defensive knife is very vague in the phils.) kaya all you have are your hands, feet, etc. ( canes and sticks are cumbersome) to fight with. anyway thanks . I'll tell my female friends about FMA, pero i doubt if they will try. May pagka J.Lo (as in the movie ENOUGH) ang type nila.

Hmm....what I could suggest to your friends is not to choose an art for it's aesthetic value, but for it's lethality. We're talking about life or death here. Since, as far as I know, there are no qualified Krav Maga instructors here in the PI what they can do is mix and match a couple of styles together. I'm talking about FMA mixed with a striking art like Boxing or Muay Thai. FMA is not just arnis twirling. In movies like The Bourne Identity and the one with Benicio del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones, the weaponry techniques that were used there was FMA. IMO, Kali is P4P the most lethal reality based martial art. It also teaches empty-handed fighting. Boxing or Muay Thai would be a good compliment to FMA, because even if a girl would hit you, if she hits you in the right spot, it's gonna hurt.

Whatever your friends chooses it would always boil down to instinct and common sense. Me, I taught my sister to hit the vital points of an assailant. I taught her to always go for the eys, shins, groin and/or if somebody grabs a hold of her twist their fingers and shout "FIRE!" scandalously. I also taught her to use anything she has a hold of as a weapon, be it a pen or cellphone. The tricks that I taught her are dirty as hell, but they are also effective as hell!

If you want more input and opinions regarding female self-defense, I would be PM'ing you a site that you can go to and ask these specific questions.

On July 19 (or earlier) some of our muay thai practitioners from the amateuar muay thai assoc. of the phil (located in ultra oval) will be going to thailand to compete in an international event. these are billy alumno, brent velasco, and rodirgo "the bull" asiong. let's wish them all the best and to show the world the quality of the filipino fighter.

also, on august 21 at the ultra, there will be also be an international muay thai event. will keep everyone posted on any developments

MY FEMALE FRIENDS GOT A TASTE OF STREET VIOLENCE LAST WEEK IN LIBIS WHILE CLUBBING. SOME GUYS THOUGHT THEY WERE FAIR GAME AND TRIED TO FORCE THEM INTO THEIR VAN. HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR SOME BYSTANDERS, WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPEN.

terrible what happened to your friends, suggest they post here or via email the events leading to that untoward incident. at least that way others out there can be made aware of the MO of these creeps

if your friends are based in makati, i think bakbakan international offers lessons in self-defense. if i'm not mistaken it's offered in monsour del rosarios t** kwan do gym along pasong tamo ext. i haven't really seen the classes of bakbakan, but they do offer lessons in weapons fighting, i.e., knives and arnis

hope your friends are ok

Hmm....what I could suggest to your friends is not to choose an art for it's aesthetic value, but for it's lethality. We're talking about life or death here. Since, as far as I know, there are no qualified Krav Maga instructors here in the PI what they can do is mix and match a couple of styles together. I'm talking about FMA mixed with a striking art like Boxing or Muay Thai. FMA is not just arnis twirling. In movies like The Bourne Identity and the one with Benicio del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones, the weaponry techniques that were used there was FMA. IMO, Kali is P4P the most lethal reality based martial art. It also teaches empty-handed fighting. Boxing or Muay Thai would be a good compliment to FMA, because even if a girl would hit you, if she hits you in the right spot, it's gonna hurt.

Whatever your friends chooses it would always boil down to instinct and common sense. Me, I taught my sister to hit the vital points of an assailant. I taught her to always go for the eys, shins, groin and/or if somebody grabs a hold of her twist their fingers and shout "FIRE!" scandalously. I also taught her to use anything she has a hold of as a weapon, be it a pen or cellphone. The tricks that I taught her are dirty as hell, but they are also effective as hell!

If you want more input and opinions regarding female self-defense, I would be PM'ing you a site that you can go to and ask these specific questions.

Hi Smart-Ass,

Novice is right as far as FMA is concerned. Its only in recent years that our very own Arnis, Escrima and Kali has been showing its empty-hand capabilities as an effective self-defense techniques. It is simple, direct and if applied correctly, very brutal :evil: . Right now, I'm taking up Kali de Leon (URL: www.kalideleon.com)which is a Filipino Martial Art developed by Jun de Leon. We train Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays after office hours. If you or your friends are intersted, PM me and I will give you additional details of our course.

Novice,

Its great that you taught your sister some self-defense techniques. I myself taught my sister some techniques that she can use against an assailant. But I also gave her avoidance and evasive techniques that will prevent her from being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong crowd.

Hi Smart-Ass,

Right now, I'm taking up Kali de Leon (URL: www.kalideleon.com)which is a Filipino Martial Art developed by Jun de Leon. We train Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays after office hours. If you or your friends are intersted, PM me and I will give you additional details of our course.

Kentoten:

Even if your post was addressed to smart-ass, I'm interested to learn more about Kali de Leon. Could you send me via pm some details as to where you guys train and of course, how much it costs. I'm currently into Muay Thai (at the ULTRA) and would be interesting to add another art.

Much thanks.

Kentoten:

Even if your post was addressed to smart-ass, I'm interested to learn more about Kali de Leon. Could you send me via pm some details as to where you guys train and of course, how much it costs. I'm currently into Muay Thai (at the ULTRA) and would be interesting to add another art.

Much thanks.

Hi ron9,

I sent you a pm, as well as to Novice and smart-ass. Guys, try visiting the website of Kali De Leon. Hope it helps.

ken

Try niyo Red Corner....sa lahat ng nakikita kong nagtuturo, sila may pinaka ok na approach. Kaso nakalimutan ko na kung saan yung dojo nila(i think sa makati din), nag present lang kasi sila sa company namin sa isang self defense training dito....as in hindi sila yung mga kalokohan sa tv na tinuturuan ka kung anu gagawin mo pag may knife, gun or etc...yung assailant. Ang tinuturo nila is yung pano mag handle ng situation, parang sinasabi nilang pag may baril na involve, kung pera lang ang habol then bigay mo na, pero pag dadalhin ka sa madilim na place, then tsaka kana lumaban....mga ganun ang tinuturo dun.

By the way, yung red corner jiu jitsu yung gamit nilang discipline, ang nagstart ata nung red corner is si hoyce/royce gracie ng UFC. Pag nahanap niyo yung dojo nila, hanapin niyo si alvin aguilar(siya yung nagturo samin, Phil champ din ata sa away yun eh).

dabbled in shotokan karatedo before den a little aikido and arnis(single stick).

gusto ko nga sanang bumalik sa arnis e.

btw,karamihan ng mga mgagaling talaga sa arnis is yung mga bisaya(cebu,surigao,agusan)...

check out doce pares sa cebu...pag dun ako nalipat ng work,yun ang unang unang pupuntahan ko

some info on arnis balintawak style, the one by grandmaster silver , which was featured in GAMEPLAN, studio 23. i forgot their website address. kali de leon and pekiti tirsia are more blade-oriented arts, and although some techniques may find translation in the use of sticks, they are really meant to to be used with the blade(more finesse, and less power.) a less lethal art with single stick.

Sorry for the late response. It took a while to browse through the thread since they've merged it.

Just out of curiostiy, I was wondering where you got your impression that these arts were less lethal when it came to stick combat. My impression, and this is only my impression, has been the opposite. Pekiti may be blade oriented, but most of the Dog Brothers are pekiti practitioners, including all of their top fighters. Who hits harder with a stick than these guys? They torque their body as far as they can for each strike so that they can deliver their full body weight. Something that may help the power of a stick strike but may be redundant for using a sharp blade. From what I've seen of kali deleon, like almost all arnis styles, the stick "respresents" the blade, but it is definitely still a stick. The bring their sticks back all the way, sometimes under their arm which is something you wouldn't do with a blade. The few times they've entered international stick fighting competitions they always come away with a number of championships in the sparring competition.

Sorry for the late response. It took a while to browse through the thread since they've merged it.

Just out of curiostiy, I was wondering where you got your impression that these arts were less lethal when it came to stick combat. My impression, and this is only my impression, has been the opposite. Pekiti may be blade oriented, but most of the Dog Brothers are pekiti practitioners, including all of their top fighters. Who hits harder with a stick than these guys? They torque their body as far as they can for each strike so that they can deliver their full body weight. Something that may help the power of a stick strike but may be redundant for using a sharp blade. From what I've seen of kali deleon, like almost all arnis styles, the stick "respresents" the blade, but it is definitely still a stick. The bring their sticks back all the way, sometimes under their arm which is something you wouldn't do with a blade. The few times they've entered international stick fighting competitions they always come away with a number of championships in the sparring competition.

topher kung saan tatama would be a definition of lethality. Pero, why can you get away with carrying a stick even at night, and not a knife or shall we say a bolo, and not get accosted by the cops? coz it is far easy to k*ll with a blade than a stick less movement, less power. Even Eric knaus or what's his name forgot of the dogbrothers would still be far cautious if he were to face a younger tatang illustrisimo who is well adapt with a blade. even with the size power difference (knaus is 6'4''-6'5'' almost 200lbs) tatang would be around 150-the most 5'6"-5'9" pero kabado si knaus dyan becaus e of the laters reputation as aproven blade combatant. Why do warriors of ancient prefer world carry bladed weapons instead of clubs?. Power would definitely be a plus in combat but when face with someone with finese skills of utter refinement talo ang power. Anyway it is easy to learn power strokes a la dogbrothers it take years to move the way the old masters do. you'll probably face someone na dadaanin sa lakas than sa diskarte. If you're unlucky enough to face the later, say your prayers.

topher kung saan tatama would be a definition of lethality. Pero, why can you get away with carrying a stick even at night, and not a knife or shall we say a bolo, and not get accosted by the cops? coz it is far easy to k*ll with a blade than a stick less movement, less power. Even Eric knaus or what's his name forgot of the dogbrothers would still be far cautious if he were to face a younger tatang illustrisimo who is well adapt with a blade. even with the size power difference (knaus is 6'4''-6'5'' almost 200lbs) tatang would be around 150-the most 5'6"-5'9" pero kabado si knaus dyan becaus e of the laters reputation as aproven blade combatant. Why do warriors of ancient prefer world carry bladed weapons instead of clubs?. Power would definitely be a plus in combat but when face with someone with finese skills of utter refinement talo ang power. Anyway it is easy to learn power strokes a la dogbrothers it take years to move the way the old masters do. you'll probably face someone na dadaanin sa lakas than sa diskarte. If you're unlucky enough to face the later, say your prayers.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Get it now. Thanks.

Hi ron9,

I sent you a pm, as well as to Novice and smart-ass. Guys, try visiting the website of Kali De Leon. Hope it helps.

ken

ken:

thanks for the info. any chances that you'll be offering the same classes in the makati and/or pasig area?

thanks

ken:

thanks for the info. any chances that you'll be offering the same classes in the makati and/or pasig area?

thanks

ron9,

Before we used to practice at house in San Andres, Manila a few minutes from Makati. But with the growth of the group ,the small space has been inadequate for our practice. Thankfully, one our new students offered a classroom in one of the review centers in Manila as our new venue. It has a bigger space so we can freely swing our sticks to our hearts content :lol: Unfortunately, until we can find a better place, we will continue with our present location.

The problem sometimes in propagating FMA is the lack of a place where people interested in the art could go with ease. Paminsan naiingit nga ako that Karate and t** Kwon Do gyms have good location in malls at kumpleto pa ang kagamitan habang kami kanya-kanyang dala ng gamit :cry:

PS

I think there is a Balintawak Arnis gym at the Ortigas Area in Pasig. Here is the link:

http://balintawak.s5.com/home.html

Hope that helps.........

y is it that when u guys talk bout the martial arts,meron tlagang arguments o discussions?y cant we just get along?

momond hindi argument healthy discussion lang. Depending on the your martial art your practicing. You are predispose to resolve things depending on your training. An exchange of views helps arrive at the most efficient way. We try to make it civil. Dati they resolve things by a sort of trial by combat, literally coming to blows. A synthesis of different styles (most martial arts are ecletic combination of different styles) is what is aimed at.

momond hindi argument healthy discussion lang. Depending on the your martial art your practicing. You are predispose to resolve things depending on your training. An exchange of views helps arrive at the most efficient way. We try to make it civil. Dati they resolve things by a sort of trial by combat, literally coming to blows. A synthesis of different styles (most martial arts are ecletic combination of different styles) is what is aimed at.

yah,i heard stories bout this when i was training with mang sidro,my arnis instructor who trained in doce pares sa cebu. kaya nga daw nagkawatak watak ang arnis dun is because of difference of ideas.Personally,i think their ego's got in the way which is kinda sad because we know how good FMA is. Nahihirapan tuloy tau umabante