N H L - National Hockey League

Credits NHL.com

Gostisbehere's two goals help Flyers defeat Lightning

Philadelphia ends Tampa Bay's nine-game winning streak

by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Staff Writer

12:54 PM
cut.jpeg
Gostisbehere's two-goal night TBL@PHI: Gostisbehere collects first two-goal game

3/7/16: Shayne Gostisbehere records his first career two-goal game, beating Andrei Vasilevskiy once in the 2nd period, and again in the 3rd

PHILADELPHIA -- In 47 games Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere has gone from a question mark to an exclamation point.

Gostisbehere had his first NHL two-goal game in the Flyers' 4-2 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning at Wells Fargo Center on Monday.

The win ended the Lightning's team-record nine-game winning streak.

Gostisbehere's goals were his 13th and 14th goals of the season. He leads rookie defensemen this season in goals and points (37). He's tied for fourth all-time in single-season goals by a rookie defenseman, and he passed Behn Wilson for the Flyers record for goals in a season by a rookie defenseman.

That's on top of the 15-game point steak, which set a record for NHL rookie defensemen, he had earlier this season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/shayne-gostisbehere-scores-twice-flyers-defeat-lightning/c-279435848?tid=279372384

Edited by Guns of the Patriots
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credits NHL.com

Reimer, Sharks shut out Oilers

Goaltender gets first win since being acquired by San Jose

by Derek Van Diest / NHL.com Correspondent

2:19 PM
cut.jpg

EDMONTON -- San Jose Sharks goaltender James Reimer will have fond memories of Rexall Place, which is in its final season.

Reimer made 31 saves for his first victory with the Sharks and first shutout of the season, a 3-0 win against the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. Reimer's last previous shutout, on Oct. 29, 2013, was also at Rexall Place, a 4-0 victory as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-james-reimer-edmonton-oilers/c-279469336?tid=279428206

Credits NHL.com

Predators' point streak continues in win against Jets

Nashville is 9-0-4 in past 13; last regulation loss was on Feb. 9

by Patrick Williams / NHL.com Correspondent

1:08 PM
cut.jpg

WINNIPEG -- The Nashville Predators extended their franchise-record point streak to 13 games with a 4-2 win against the Winnipeg Jets at MTS Centre on Tuesday.

Craig Smith scored two goals and has five in his past five games. Colton Sissons and Ryan Johansen scored, Colin Wilson had two assists and Pekka Rinne made 21 saves for the Predators, who are 9-0-4 in their past 13.

Nashville (34-21-12) held on after Jets defenseman Jacob Trouba scored with 6:23 left to cut the Predators' lead to 3-2. Smith scored his second of the game with 4:39 remaining to make it 4-2. Mike Ribeiro assisted on the goal, extending his point streak to five games (one goal, seven assists).

Nashville has not lost in regulation since Feb. 9 against the Washington Capitals.

https://www.nhl.com/news/craig-smith-scores-twice-predators-top-jets/c-279469230?tid=279428204

Credits NHL.com

Bruins defeat Lightning on Marchand OT goal

Scores 10 seconds into extra period; Gustavsson makes 42 saves in shutout

by Corey Long / NHL.com Correspondent

1:00 PM
cut.jpeg
Marchand's quick overtime winner BOS@TBL: Marchand tips home Bergeron's feed for win

3/8/16: Brad Marchand takes a pass from Patrice Bergeron and tips it past Ben Bishop for the game-winning goal 10 seconds into overtime

TAMPA -- Brad Marchand scored 10 seconds into overtime, and Jonas Gustavsson made 42 saves to help the Boston Bruins to a 1-0 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning at Amalie Arena on Tuesday.

Marchand scored his 34th goal on a 2-on-1 rush with Patrice Bergeron, who made a perfect pass to Marchand in the slot for a one-timer that beat Lightning goalie Ben Bishop to the stick side.

"Anytime you have a game like that, a tight-checking game, back-and-forth, it was big to win that," Marchand said. "We're battling for position right now. [Gustavsson] played incredible. We wouldn't have won if he didn't play the way he did. He kept us in it with some big saves."

Boston (38-23-7) is tied with Tampa Bay for first place in the Atlantic Division at 83 points; the Lightning have played one fewer game and have two more regulation and overtime wins (36-34).

https://www.nhl.com/news/boston-bruins-brad-marchand-defeat-tampa-bay-lightning/c-279469014?tid=279428202

Credits NHL.com

Galchenyuk scores twice, gets winner in OT

Canadiens end losing streak, defeat Stars

by Sean Farrell / NHL.com Correspondent

1:47 PM
cut.jpeg
Galchenyuk's game-winning OT goal DAL@MTL: Galchenyuk fires his second goal for OT win

3/8/16: Alex Galchenyuk hammers a one-timer for his second goal of the night, to send the Canadiens to a 4-3 win in overtime

MONTREAL -- Things are going so well for Alex Galchenyuk right now that he is even anticipating the kind of goals he will score during practice.

Galchenyuk scored his second goal of the game at 1:59 of overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 4-3 win against the Dallas Stars at Bell Centre on Tuesday.

Galchenyuk, who also had an assist, one-timed defenseman Andrei Markov's pass and sent a drive past Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen from the right faceoff circle after taking advantage of Stars defenseman Kris Russell's broken stick.

It was a play that Galchenyuk worked on with Markov during the Canadiens' optional morning skate at their suburban practice facility.

"I think I practice that shot every practice, and it was a good coincidence that it was me and (Markov) that practiced that in Brossard today," Galchenyuk said. "I was waiting for that pass and the puck was bouncing a little bit and it settled down and I put it right in a good spot and it was an easy shot to take."

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-alex-galchenyuk-defeat-dallas-stars/c-279468690?tid=279428200

Credits NHL.com

Lee's goal lifts Islanders past Penguins

Power-play deflection breaks tie; Halak injured

by Brian Compton @BComptonNHL / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

12:19 PM
cut.jpeg
Lee's power-play goal PIT@NYI: Lee's deflection gives Islanders the lead

3/8/16: Nick Leddy fires a shot that deflects off Anders Lee in front, giving the Islanders their second power-play goal and a 2-1 lead

NEW YORK -- Anders Lee scored 25 goals as a rookie in 2014-15. This season hasn't gone quite as smoothly, but the New York Islanders' power forward is showing signs of being the player he and his team know he can be.

Lee's power-play goal with 11:05 remaining broke a tie and the Islanders defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 at Barclays Center on Tuesday. New York (37-20-7) has won four in a row and moved five points ahead of the Penguins for third place in the Metropolitan Division. The Islanders are three points behind the second-place New York Rangers and have three games in hand.

Lee broke a 1-1 tie after Penguins center Matt Cullen was penalized for cross-checking. Lee, who made his presence known in front of the net all game, redirected Leddy's shot past goalie Marc-Andre Fleury for his 12th goal of the season and third in the past four games.

"It's everyone working together, and I'm benefiting from great play around me," Lee said. "I'm getting sticks on pucks that I've been able to tip and go in. It's nice to see that kind of turn around a little bit. As long as we're winning games, that's all that matters."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-islanders-edge-pittsburgh-penguins/c-279468900?tid=279428198

Credits NHL.com

Blue Jackets hang on to defeat Red Wings

Korpisalo makes 18 saves in third period to fend off Detroit rally

by Craig Merz / NHL.com Correspondent

12:39 PM
cut.jpg

COLUMBUS -- The Detroit Red Wings entered their game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday eyeing two crucial points in the race for a spot in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

By the final minute of a frantic third period at Nationwide Arena, they were hoping for at least a point.

Despite a valiant effort, the Red Wings did not get it, losing 5-3 to the Blue Jackets.

Detroit (32-23-11) scored twice in the final five minutes to cut the Columbus lead to 4-3, but Cam Atkinson's second goal of the game, into an empty net with 18 seconds left, sent the Red Wings to their third straight loss.

"Out of the gate, the urgency wasn't there," Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard said. "We battled to the end but just came up short. It shows you can't take anyone lightly. You have to show up from the get-go or you're going to get beat."

https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-detroit-red-wings-recap/c-279468680?tid=279428196

Credits NHL.com

Hurricanes tie game in final seconds, defeat Senators

Skinner scores twice, Carolina wins in shootout

by Kurt Dusterberg / NHL.com Correspondent

12:43 PM
cut.jpeg
Skinner's last-second goal OTT@CAR: Skinner's second of the game beats buzzer

3/8/16: Jeff Skinner winds up for a slap shot, ringing it off the post and in, tying the game at 3 in the final second to force overtime

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes may have been sellers leading up to the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline, but they certainly have not given up hope of reaching the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner scored twice, including the tying goal with less than 1 second remaining in regulation when the Hurricanes defeated the Ottawa Senators 4-3 in a shootout at PNC Arena on Tuesday.

Skinner scored with a slap shot from the slot off the right post with 0.2 seconds remaining to tie the game at 3-3. Victor Rask's shot from the bottom of the right faceoff circle was blocked by Dion Phaneuf and went straight to Skinner.

"I knew there wasn't much time left," said Skinner, who reached 25 goals for the third time in six years. "Rask did a good job getting the puck to the net. It took a bounced off one of their (defensemen). Again, just the right spot. I just tried to get it through."

https://www.nhl.com/news/ottawa-senators-carolina-hurricanes-recap/c-279468466?tid=279428194

Credits NHL.com

Zuccarello, Rangers defeat Sabres

Forward's goal, two assists help New York past Buffalo

by Joe Yerdon / NHL.com Correspondent

12:41 PM
cut.jpg

BUFFALO -- The New York Rangers haven't lost back-to-back games since December and backup goalie Antti Raanta made sure that stayed true on Tuesday.

Mats Zuccarello had a goal and two assists, and Raanta made 34 saves to lead the Rangers to a 4-2 win against the Buffalo Sabres at First Niagara Center.

https://www.nhl.com/news/zuccarello-helps-rangers-top-sabres/c-279468464?tid=279428192

Credits NHL.com

Kings top Capitals in OT after blowing three-goal lead

Carter scores winner to spoil Washington comeback

by Curtis Zupke / NHL.com Correspondent

3:22 PM
cut.jpeg
Carter's OT game-winner WSH@LAK: Kings win as Carter goes top-shelf in OT

3/9/16: Milan Lucic makes a perfect pass to Jeff Carter, who flips the puck top-shelf over Braden Holtby for the overtime game-winner

LOS ANGELES -- One flick of the wrists by Jeff Carter turned a potentially awful loss into a triumphant night for the Los Angeles Kings.

Carter scored 2:50 into overtime to give the Kings a 4-3 win against the Washington Capitals at Staples Center on Wednesday.

After the Kings squandered a 3-0 lead in the third period, Carter gave them the victory when he took a pass from Milan Lucic and lifted a shot over Capitals goalie Braden Holtby as Washington made a line change.

The Kings (40-22-4) regained first place in the Pacific Division, moving one point ahead of the Anaheim Ducks. Los Angeles is 7-2-0 in its past nine games and is off until it hosts the New Jersey Devils on Saturday.

"We played a real good first period and then got away from our game a little bit," Carter said. "We'll learn from it and we'll be there."

https://www.nhl.com/news/los-angeles-kings-top-washington-capitals-in-ot/c-279504068?tid=279455894

Credits NHL.com

Avalanche end Ducks' point streak at 14

Colorado's Varlamov makes 37 saves for shutout

by Rick Sadowski / NHL.com Correspondent

2:54 PM
cut.jpeg
Varlamov stops 37 in shutout ANA@COL: Varlamov shuts out Ducks on 37 saves

3/9/16: Semyon Varlamov shuts out the Ducks in a 3-0 win for the Avalanche, notching 37 saves in a dominant defensive effort

DENVER -- Semyon Varlamov made 37 saves to help the Colorado Avalanche defeat the Anaheim Ducks 3-0 at Pepsi Center on Wednesday, ending the Ducks' 14-game streak without a regulation loss.

Anaheim (37-20-9) had gone 12-0-2 since a 6-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Feb. 8, its lone regulation defeat in 21 games.

"I feel pretty good," said Varlamov, who has two shutouts this season and 20 in his NHL career. "I don't want to talk about myself, how I played, to be honest with you, because I've been playing up and down. It was one of the best games for us this year.

The Avalanche got goals from Nathan MacKinnon, Andreas Martinsen and Shawn Matthias, and they killed three consecutive penalties while nursing a 1-0 lead. Colorado has killed 22 in a row in a seven-game span.

https://www.nhl.com/news/anaheim-ducks-colorado-avalanche-recap/c-279504066?tid=279455892

Credits NHL.com

Granlund scores in OT, Canucks top Coyotes

Center gets first goal with Vancouver in seventh game

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Correspondent

3:16 PM
cut.jpeg
Granlund's first goal as a Canuck ARI@VAN: Granlund wins the game in overtime

3/9/16: Markus Granlund slams the rebound home past Louis Domingue for his first goal as a Canuck, giving Vancouver the 3-2 win in overtime

VANCOUVER -- Goaltender Jacob Markstrom didn't have to look far to find extra motivation for the final month of the Vancouver Canucks' disappointing season.

Markstom made 32 saves, and Markus Granlund scored on a rebound off a 2-on-1 rush 1:42 into overtime to give the Canucks a 3-2, come-from-behind win against the Arizona Coyotes at Rogers Arena on Wednesday.

"You come into the room and you notice everyone is happy, everyone is smiling, and that's the way you want it to be when you come in after a game, especially at home," said Markstrom, who made a save against Max Domi on a breakaway early in overtime. "And the fans are happy; you want to play for them too. There's a lot of pride going on right now."

Trailing 2-0 midway through the game, Radim Vrbata and Luca Sbisa scored for Vancouver to tie it before the end of the second period.

Then Granlund won it in overtime with his first goal in seven games since being acquired from the Calgary Flames on Feb. 22.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-markus-granlund-defeat-arizona-coyotes-in-overtime/c-279504070?tid=279455890

Credits NHL.com

Predators extend point streak in OT loss

Nashville falls to Flames; sets franchise record

by Aaron Vickers / NHL.com Correspondent

2:14 PM
cut.jpg

CALGARY -- Mikael Backlund scored the game-winner 1:12 into overtime to help the Calgary Flames to a 3-2 win against the Nashville Predators at Scotiabank Saddledome on Wednesday.

Johnny Gaudreau had two goals and an assist, and Joni Ortio made 24 saves for Calgary (28-34-5), which is 2-0-1 in its past three games following a seven-game losing streak.

"I don't really know what the standings are right now. I haven't really checked them out," Gaudreau said. "We have to play our hardest every single game. There are a lot of expectations in this locker room to finish the season out strong, get a good summer in and be ready for next year."

Anthony Bitetto and Mike Fisher scored, and Carter Hutton made 31 saves for Nashville (34-21-13), which has earned points in a franchise-record 14 straight games (9-0-5). The Predators haven't lost in regulation since Feb. 9.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nashville-predators-calgary-flames-recap/c-279504064?tid=279455888

Credits NHL.com

Brouwer, Allen lift Blues past Blackhawks

Forward scores in third, shootout; goalie makes 33 saves through OT

by Louie Korac / NHL.com Correspondent

1:39 PM
cut.jpeg
Brouwer's PPG puts Blues ahead CHI@STL: Brouwer nets PPG, pushes Blues ahead in 3rd

3/9/16: Troy Brouwer wires a one-timer past Corey Crawford for a power-play goal and gives the Blues their first lead of the night in the 3rd

ST. LOUIS -- When St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk scored a shootout goal, he felt vindicated for his failed clearing attempt that led to the game-tying goal for the Chicago Blackhawks late in the third period.

Shattenkirk scored in the sixth round to help the Blues defeat the Blackhawks 3-2 at Scottrade Center on Wednesday. He beat Chicago goalie Corey Crawford with a wrist shot high to the glove side, and Teuvo Teravainen hit the post trying to tie it for the Blackhawks.

Shattenkirk's outlet feed was picked off at the blue line, leading to Artemi Panarin's game-tying goal with 1:17 remaining to help Chicago get a point.

"When I think about that play, it was one where I tried to make a pass to [Vladimir Tarasenko]; I handcuffed him with a bad pass," Shattenkirk said. "At that point, it's easy for [Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith] to keep that puck in. He's got a guy on top of [Tarasenko] and he's got all the time in the world. I was a little upset with myself just making kind of a little bit of a panicky play there. But we were able to get back on top of it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/st-louis-blues-defeat-chicago-blackhawks-recap/c-279503950?tid=279455886

Credits NHL.com

Nylander ties game late, Maple Leafs win in shootout

Toronto ends losing streak with win against Islanders

by Mike Brophy / NHL.com Correspondent

12:46 PM
cut.jpeg
Soshnikov's decisive SO goal NYI@TOR: Soshnikov seals win for Maple Leafs in SO

3/9/16: Nikita Soshnikov scores the only goal in the shootout to give the Maple Leafs a win over the Islanders

TORONTO -- Nikita Soshnikov scored in the shootout to give the Toronto Maple Leafs a 4-3, come-from-behind win against the New York Islanders at Air Canada Centre on Wednesday.

With Toronto on a power play, William Nylander scored his second NHL goal to make it 3-3 with 1:13 remaining in the third period and goalie Garret Sparks pulled for an extra attacker.

Thomas Greiss made 33 saves for the Islanders in his first game since becoming the starter with Jaroslav Halak out for at least the next six weeks with a lower-body injury he sustained against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday.

"Jaro is a big part of our team and it is bad for him to have an injury at this time of the year," Greiss said. "Guys have to step up now and pull together as a team. I am not thinking about my situation now; I am thinking about the team making the playoffs. That is the most important thing."

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-islanders-toronto-maple-leafs-recap/c-279503948?tid=279455884

Credits NHL.com

McDavid powers Oilers past Wild

Rookie scores game-winning goal with 7:29 left; Talbot makes 29 saves

by Dan Myers / NHL.com Correspondent

12:01 PM
cut.jpeg
McDavid gives Oilers the lead EDM@MIN: McDavid uses speed to net go-ahead goal

3/10/16: Connor McDavid races down the ice and wrists the puck past Darcy Kuemper to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead in the 3rd

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Connor McDavid scored the go-ahead goal with 7:29 remaining to help the Edmonton Oilers to a 2-1 win against the Minnesota Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Thursday.

Following a faceoff win in the Oilers zone, Zack Kassian passed to McDavid skating through the neutral zone. McDavid shielded the puck from Wild defenseman Jared Spurgeon, then beat goaltender Darcy Kuemper with a shot under his arm for his 14th goal.

Lauri Korpikoski scored a goal for Edmonton, and goaltender Cam Talbot made 29 saves for his 17th win. Talbot has allowed two goals or fewer in seven of his past eight starts.

The Oilers (27-36-7) have won five of their past seven games.

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-oilers-defeat-minnesota-wild/c-279532408?tid=279490520

Credits NHL.com

Jagr, Trocheck lift Panthers past Senators

Forwards combine for five points to help Florida end three-game skid

by Alain Poupart / NHL.com Correspondent

4 minutes ago
cut.jpeg
Jagr garners his second goal OTT@FLA: Jagr nets his second goal of the night

3/10/16: Jaromir Jagr scores his second goal of the game on a perfect wrist shot from the slot, beating the glove of Craig Anderson

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Jaromir Jagr and Vincent Trocheck each had a big performance to help the Florida Panthers end a three-game losing streak.

Jagr had two goals, and Trocheck tied his NHL career high for points with a goal and three assists in the Panthers' 6-2 win against the Ottawa Senators at BB&T Center on Thursday.

"We just needed a little bit more confidence in here," Trocheck said. "We're a young team. The confidence was a little bit down, so having a win like this, scoring that many goals, it definitely gets your confidence back up. That's the kind of thing that started that streak we had earlier in the year. I'm not saying we're going to go on another 12-game winning streak, but I think that's just what we need."

The Panthers (37-21-9) are tied for second in the Atlantic Division with the Tampa Bay Lightning, who have more regulation and overtime wins (36-31). Florida and Tampa Bay are one point behind the Boston Bruins, who have 84 points after losing 3-2 in overtime Thursday against the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Panthers and Lightning each have played two fewer games than the Bruins.

https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-panthers-defeat-ottawa-senators/c-279532406?tid=279490454

Credits NHL.com

Abdelkader's late goal lifts Red Wings past Jets

Detroit ends losing streak by scoring three in row

by Paul Harris / NHL.com Correspondent

12:21 PM
cut.jpeg
Abdelkader's go-ahead goal WPG@DET: Abdelkader roofs shot for 3-2 lead

3/10/16: Justin Abdelkader receives a pass and puts it top shelf, giving the Red Wings a late 3-2 lead

DETROIT -- Justin Abdelkader scored with 4:36 remaining in the third period to give the Detroit Red Wings a come-from-behind, 3-2 win against the Winnipeg Jets at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday.

Abdelkader had an assist, and Dylan Larkin and Jonathan Ericsson scored for Detroit (33-23-11), which trailed 2-0 in the second period but ended a three-game losing streak. Petr Mrazek made 23 saves.

"I thought our guys showed unbelievable compete level, I thought our compete level was awesome," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. "I actually thought we started the game good. ... That's not an easy challenge, but I thought our guys came out and played great the rest of the game. We talked about it being a 60-minute game, and in the end we hung in there enough to win."

https://www.nhl.com/news/red-wings-defeat-jets-on-goal-by-justin-abdelkader/c-279532404?tid=279490452

Credits NHL.com

Canadiens defeat Sabres, lose Subban

Defenseman taken off ice on stretcher in third period

by Sean Farrell / NHL.com Correspondent

11:56 AM
cut.jpg

MONTREAL -- Alex Galchenyuk had his third straight two-goal game, Torrey Mitchell scored the go-ahead goal with 6:39 remaining in the third period and the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Buffalo Sabres 3-2 at Bell Centre on Thursday, despite losing defenseman P.K. Subban to injury.

Subban was taken off the ice on a stretcher after he was injured in a collision with teammate Alexei Emelin in the right corner with 2:26 remaining. Subban threw off his gloves and fell to the ice after his head was pushed downward suddenly when Emelin backed into him along the boards.

Medical staff attended to Subban, who lay on his back on the ice. He was immobilized before he was taken off.

Mike Condon made 36 saves for Montreal (32-30-6), which has won two straight since returning from an 0-3-1 road trip.

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-top-buffalo-sabres-subban-hurt/c-279532402?tid=279490450

Credits NHL.com

Di Giuseppe scores in OT, Hurricanes top Bruins

Rookie beats Boston goalie Rask off rebound

by Matt Kalman / NHL.com Correspondent

12:37 PM
cut.jpeg
Di Giuseppe's overtime winner CAR@BOS: Di Giuseppe beats Rask to win it in overtime

3/10/16: Phillip Di Giuseppe corrals a rebound and fires it past Tuukka Rask to give the Hurricanes a 3-2 overtime win

BOSTON -- Phillip Di Giuseppe scored on a rebound 1:30 into overtime, and Cam Ward made 30 saves to help the Carolina Hurricanes to a 3-2 win against the Boston Bruins at TD Garden on Thursday.

With Boston attempting to make a line change, Jeff Skinner jumped off the Hurricanes bench and went into the Bruins zone on a breakaway. Goalie Tuukka Rask made the save, but Di Giuseppe gathered the rebound, spun and put the puck past Rask's blocker and under Boston center Patrice Bergeron.

It was Di Giuseppe's fifth goal of the season and first in 15 games.

"I saw [skinner] going down on a little breakaway there and just in case he missed I was going to clean up the garbage," Di Giuseppe said. "So, I got lucky. It came right to me, and I took a whack at it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-defeat-boston-bruins/c-279532224?tid=279490448

Credits NHL.com

Backup goalie Kinkaid, Devils shut out Sharks

Makes 30 saves for second NHL shutout, Zajac scores twice

by Eric Gilmore / NHL.com Correspondent

8 minutes ago
cut.jpeg
Kinkaid's big save on Marleau NJD@SJS: Kinkaid manages to turn away Marleau's shot

3/10/16: Keith Kinkaid makes a huge save on a two-on-one rush on Patrick Marleau's wrist shot to keep the Devils' lead intact

SAN JOSE -- Backup goaltender Keith Kinkaid made 30 saves for his second career shutout and the New Jersey Devils defeated the San Jose Sharks 3-0 at SAP Center on Thursday.

Travis Zajac scored two third-period goals, including an empty-netter with 52.1 seconds left. Devante Smith-Pelly had a goal in the second period for the Devils (32-29-7), who had lost five of their previous six games.

Kinkaid started his second straight game in place of Cory Schneider, who is out with a sprained right knee. Kinkaid allowed six goals on 30 shots in a 6-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday at the Prudential Center.

Kinkaid's first career shutout came on Feb. 14, when he made 28 saves in a 1-0 victory against the Los Angeles Kings.

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-new-jersey-devils-keith-kinkaid/c-279532410?tid=279490522

Credits NHL.com

Fleury wins No. 350 when Penguins top Blue Jackets

Pittsburgh goalie fourth-fastest to reach mark; Malkin injured

by Craig Merz / NHL.com Correspondent

12:23 PM
cut.jpg

COLUMBUS -- Marc-Andre Fleury was beaten once by Columbus Blue Jackets right wing Cam Atkinson on a breakaway, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender was not fooled twice.

Fleury made the save the second time to preserve a lead, and made nine more in the third period to get his 350th NHL win, 3-2 at Nationwide Arena on Friday.

The 31-year-old became the 20th goalie to reach 350 NHL wins, and the third active (Roberto Luongo of the Florida Panthers; Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers). Fleury did so in his 645th game, fourth-fastest in history (Martin Brodeur, Lundqvist, Chris Osgood).

"It's pretty cool. I didn't know before the game it was coming up," Fleury said. "I was glad we got the win, the two points.

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-columbus-blue-jackets-recap/c-279558374?tid=279526014

Credits NHL.com

Flyers shut down Lightning for third straight win

Philadelphia ends eight-game losing streak at Amalie Arena

by Corey Long / NHL.com Correspondent

12:27 PM
cut.jpg

TAMPA -- Sam Gagner and Matt Read scored power-play goals, and the Philadelphia Flyers defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-1 at Amalie Arena on Friday for their third consecutive victory.

Brayden Schenn also scored for Philadelphia and Steve Mason made 18 saves for the Flyers (32-23-11), who are 6-1-0 in their past seven games. Philadelphia had been 0-6-2 at Tampa Bay since a 4-3 shootout win on Feb. 15, 2011.

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-defeat-tampa-bay-lightning/c-279558378?tid=279526016

Credits NHL.com

Big third period carries Blues past Ducks

St. Louis wins fifth in a row; Anaheim loses third straight

by Louie Korac / NHL.com Correspondent

12:12 PM
cut.jpg

ST. LOUIS -- Jori Lehtera and Patrik Berglund scored goals 1:04 apart early in the third period, and the St. Louis Blues defeated the Anaheim Ducks 5-2 at Scottrade Center on Friday.

With the win, the Blues (40-20-9) moved within one point of first place in the Central Division. They are one ahead of the Chicago Blackhawks, who lost to the first-place Dallas Stars 5-2 on Friday. The Stars host the Blues on Saturday.

The Blues turned the tables on the Ducks in the third period after Anaheim's forecheck created issues for St. Louis earlier in the game.

Lehtera gave the Blues a 2-1 lead 1:55 into the third when linemates Vladimir Tarasenko and Jaden Schwartz forced Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler into losing the puck. Schwartz fed Lehtera in the left circle for a slap shot past goaltender Frederik Andersen.

Berglund scored at 2:59 when he picked off a Josh Manson pass in the slot, turned and beat Andersen with a slap shot for a 3-1 lead.

https://www.nhl.com/news/anaheim-ducks-st-louis-blues-recap/c-279558380?tid=279526018

Credits NHL.com

Stars take big early lead, defeat Blackhawks

Dallas in first place in Central, plays St. Louis next

by Steve Hunt / NHL.com Correspondent

2:22 PM
cut.jpeg
Ja. Benn's PPG extends the lead CHI@DAL: Ja. Benn nets PPG to put Stars ahead by four

3/11/16: Tyler Seguin's back-door pass deflects off Patrick Eaves' stick, then off the skate of Jamie Benn and in for a power-play goal

DALLAS -- Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin and Jason Spezza each had a goal and an assist, and Kari Lehtonen made 21 saves to help the Dallas Stars defeat the Chicago Blackhawks 5-2 at American Airlines Center on Friday.

Antoine Roussel and Ales Hemsky scored for Dallas (41-21-8), which led 4-0 in the second period, chasing Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford, who made 16 saves.

"They're a team we have a lot of respect for, and they're a tough team to play against," Spezza said. "Special teams was good, penalty k*ll got some huge kills at the start of the game. It was a good win for us."

Teuvo Teravainen and Tomas Fleischmann scored for Chicago (41-22-6).

"The St. Louis game (a 3-2 shootout loss Wednesday) was all right, but tonight's game was not good at all," Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "Our special teams had probably as bad a night as you could have."

Dallas scored on two of six power plays and killed five Chicago advantages.

Dallas completes a Central Division back-to-back Saturday against the St. Louis Blues, who defeated the Anaheim Ducks 5-2 on Friday. The Stars have 90 points, the Blues have 89 and the Blackhawks have 88 in the top three places in the division.

https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blackhawks-dallas-stars-recap/c-279558382?tid=279526052