Question, what profit in terms of percentage that you would consider profitable or worth investing in?

this is in whatever investment instruments you are investing in, do you based it in the current interest rate, inflation and/or GDP?

I invest in the index so i always get market returns. And over the long term, the stock market has significant return.

I invest in the index so i always get market returns. And over the long term, the stock market has significant return.

What is your average return? I do mixed investment but mostly on fix income like corporate bond, some in real estate and small portions in index, ETF and mutual funds. So it is kinda diverse.

Before mutual funds and ETFs came about, the strategy revolves around diversifying on individual investments. On my prior role as investment planning asscoiate, i observed that successful funds are those that have around 20 investments. So 100% / 20 = 5% per investment. But then if your really have strong conviction on certain investments, I would put more on it. Example Apple or Amazon stock, hence 7%. In the end, it will still average 5% but with a range of 3% to 7%.

Yung 25% naman, it's really what I can afford right now to save since I have 4 dependents (2 kids and 2 parents) but also based on my age. . As I said to myself., "Life Begins at 45". and I'm at that age I prefer doing more activities while able.

I see. thanks for sharing the 100% spread across 20 investments. I'll ask friends rin kung kumusta spread ng pera nila all around. Usually kasi kinakausap ko mga tao about one specific investment that I'm particularly interested in, but pretty sure they have money elsewhere. Offhand, I think nandun ako sa "strong conviction" with what I can control directly, so that's roughly 9 baskets for me, give or take.

Cool that you can still put in 25% of earnings into stocks kahit may dependents. Cheers to you. Appreciate your input.

• Like (+1) 1

I buy every month. and all dividends are reinvested back when the dividend is greater than or equal to that ETFs share price. I dont sell to limit capital gains tax now especially nsa highest tax bracket ako.

nice. congrats on having the discipline to get monthly and also reinvest gains!

mga 50% index funds because i believe that the stock market does go up over time but really slowly so i'm in it for the long haul and i'm lazy. 20% cash siguro na easily accessible in case of emergencies. the rest bonds and some medium term investments. the 50% index funds is pretty constant. the medium term investments/bonds change from time to time

same on not trusting communists. i prefer to invest in philippine index fund, i think philippines is in a good position to take advantage of the job flight due to the trade war. i'm curious on investing in obscure places like africa where china is trying to gain influence

some people say the first million is the hardest because you're still trying to figure things out. after that it's probably just a matter of scaling things up

in the meantime maybe you could determine milestone amounts? but, correct me if i'm wrong, i understand that you're more of in this for the long haul, in which case maybe you could invest in riskier assets so you can have tangible experiences sooner?

Wild, galing, nakakapag-tabi ka ng 55% monthly. Congrats!

i would say your investment limits should depend on your risk profile to start with.

from there, you'd probably move on to categorizing your different investment options and further divvying up your allocated investment funds into them based on what you've mapped as good based on their specific risk return ratio.

there's also your different investment horizons to consider against your age and current earning capacity.

i hope i don't come across as pandering or preaching to the choir. and that my reply actually helps.

Thanks for the input, HouseBand. The reason I'm asking is because my risk profile/appetite has always been on the high side at least compared to people I talk to re: investments, but i completely agree with mapping out ROI vs risk for all my investments.

Re: age and earning capacity, this is also tricky for me kasi I consider myself relatively young (and wild and free), kaya I feel like greed is getting the better of me sometimes. That's why all inputs are appreciated. I want to see how others evaluate business and investment opportunities.

Ignore the rant of an over thinker if you prefer.

I have this feeling that my life is in chaos in the sense that the direction I'm taking is not commensurate to the financial goal I wish for myself.

Yes I do have some investments in the stock market totalling 300k, some money in the bank, and a job that gets me to pay for two insurance plans with a combined total of 1.2M and to travel in and out of the country.

Still, I feel it's not enough. Well,if it should last me until my 80s, yes, it's not.

My point? I feel I'm not doing the investing fast enough, correctly, or heavily enough.

Hopefully, my FA will point out whatever needs corrections when we meet next month.

I am not yet even worth a million pesos (in cash), I just can't wait to reach that level.

Someone slap me.

Hi Neville! Just read the replies from the others and they do make a good point that you're already waaay ahead of the general populace. Having said that, I sympathize with the feeling of not having enough (yet). Some thoughts:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the financial goal that you've set for yourself is to "be set" until you're 80? If so, have you computed for the annual/monthly that you'll need to "be set?" I remember going through a similar phase and computing that amount helped me out a lot. It's a bit daunting when factoring in inflation that 3M today is roughly 27M (prob more) in the future, but if you're investing (which you already are), then you're beating this figure annually.

2. Re: investing more/fast/hard, this is something that's probably different for everyone. This room, at least based on what I saw, have people investing in stocks, meron rin mga nag-oonline gambling. Me, personally, I prefer investing in businesses just because I'm more comfortable with investing/betting on financials that I computed for myself or have direct control over (sometimes to a fault). I think if you have more to invest, then by all means invest it into something to make it work.

3. Re: Net Worth, while I understand the sentiment, I think that with your current trajectory, you're bound to hit your target net worth soon enough. Disclaimer, medyo preachy itong part na ito, but I always felt that while goals are important, systems are the main drivers of results. Ito yung tipong kahit ibalik ka sa zero ng tadhana, alam mo na makakabalik ka lang rin on track to reaching said goals because you have the systems in place.

4. Just finished reading some comments regarding the part of having your own business with your ate. How's that going for you?

Question, what profit in terms of percentage that you would consider profitable or worth investing in?

this is in whatever investment instruments you are investing in, do you based it in the current interest rate, inflation and/or GDP?

Hi Bad Dogz! personally, i prefer to invest in businesses that can net me at least 12% p.a. for established businesses. If I'll be having a role in the company, nagiiba ng konti yung criteria because then I'll be wanting my money back in 2 years or less haha!

For context, out of 11 companies, I've good with 5, working on 4, and capsized 2 (unfortunately haha!)

Hello mga sir.

I promised an update by this week. Nothing much yet to divulge. I opted to finish my last week at the office first and catch up on crazy translation deadlines before I sit down with my financial adviser.

Ate and I are encountering some bumps in the business client-wise. We need to rethink our strategy, but the business is now legally registered with the government. We will discuss our next move, but we are compelled to study the translation business from scratch because we are both clueless about it.

Personal finance-wise, I made some changes with the goal and budget and will check them out later. In sum, I plan to finally build up my spare PhP 1M reserve as a very broad safety net on top of my 3 month contingency fund, time deposit, money for buying a house, and investment in the stock market.

How I budget and set them aside, I will have yet to sort out.

Sir kuworuru, I'll respond to your message when I get home later :-)

Hi Neville! Just read the replies from the others and they do make a good point that you're already waaay ahead of the general populace. Having said that, I sympathize with the feeling of not having enough (yet). Some thoughts:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the financial goal that you've set for yourself is to "be set" until you're 80? If so, have you computed for the annual/monthly that you'll need to "be set?" I remember going through a similar phase and computing that amount helped me out a lot. It's a bit daunting when factoring in inflation that 3M today is roughly 27M (prob more) in the future, but if you're investing (which you already are), then you're beating this figure annually.

*---Yes, set until I am in my 80s, with a lot to leave my sister's kids, or by some miracle, mine, a significant inheritance. I hated the fact that my parents thrived financially during their peak only to leave me and my sister on our own. To me, it was unfair of them to not have the foresight of saving for the future. But hey, how many baby boomers had that foresight to be ready when the time comes? not a lot, i think.

2. Re: investing more/fast/hard, this is something that's probably different for everyone. This room, at least based on what I saw, have people investing in stocks, meron rin mga nag-oonline gambling. Me, personally, I prefer investing in businesses just because I'm more comfortable with investing/betting on financials that I computed for myself or have direct control over (sometimes to a fault). I think if you have more to invest, then by all means invest it into something to make it work.

*---I have four kinds of stocks and four kinds of equity and equity index mutual funds. it is what my investing powers and budget can take for now. Also, I wish to earn as fast as I could (I am 41 in a month or so), that way, by the time I am in my 50s, I have no need to panic the way i do now.

3. Re: Net Worth, while I understand the sentiment, I think that with your current trajectory, you're bound to hit your target net worth soon enough. Disclaimer, medyo preachy itong part na ito, but I always felt that while goals are important, systems are the main drivers of results. Ito yung tipong kahit ibalik ka sa zero ng tadhana, alam mo na makakabalik ka lang rin on track to reaching said goals because you have the systems in place.

*---I sure do hope so. Although i do feel that i have not done enough. Hence, my frustration.

4. Just finished reading some comments regarding the part of having your own business with your ate. How's that going for you?

***---I wrote an update in my earlier post. Ate and I are working on it. We entered a business we have no idea how to run. If only there is a "How to Run a Translation Vendor Company for Dummies" book. We'd definitely devour it. Lol.

What is your average return? I do mixed investment but mostly on fix income like corporate bond, some in real estate and small portions in index, ETF and mutual funds. So it is kinda diverse.

I look into my portfolio just now that i started almost 5 years ago and my average annual return is 13.12%.

Personally i dont like bonds kasi over the long term, they almost always outperformed by stocks. And also for me i still have 7-10 years bago ako maging financially independent so im OK to be 100% in equities.

My main challenge now is kung papano ko ba maco control ang spending habits ko to increase my savings rate e.g. i just bought Sony A7 III (fullframe mirrorless camera) and some prime lens this week. Oh well, we all need a hobby and live a little.

I look into my portfolio just now that i started almost 5 years ago and my average annual return is 13.12%.

Personally i dont like bonds kasi over the long term, they almost always outperformed by stocks. And also for me i still have 7-10 years bago ako maging financially independent so im OK to be 100% in equities.

My main challenge now is kung papano ko ba maco control ang spending habits ko to increase my savings rate e.g. i just bought Sony A7 III (fullframe mirrorless camera) and some prime lens this week. Oh well, we all need a hobby and live a little.

thank you for sharing, do you consider 13.12% return a good return?

I don't like equities because I don't have time to monitor them so I just put my money in to mutual funds.

I also bought the same camera last year, it is a great camera but expensive lens.

What do you mean by financially independent? I think everyone has there own definition.

*---Yes, set until I am in my 80s, with a lot to leave my sister's kids, or by some miracle, mine, a significant inheritance. I hated the fact that my parents thrived financially during their peak only to leave me and my sister on our own. To me, it was unfair of them to not have the foresight of saving for the future. But hey, how many baby boomers had that foresight to be ready when the time comes? not a lot, i think.

I see. Medyo intense yung goals hehe! inheritance for children/pamangkins is something that i haven't considered yet. Though right now I'm just thinking that i'll split up the businesses among the children when the time comes, if they want to take it. May pahabol because early on I felt the pressure of my dad wanting me to take over his business, but I avoided the issue for the longest time haha! I'm sorry to hear about your parents. Did you mean that they didn't leave you guys any inheritances? Baby boomers are kids after ww2 no? hindi ko kasi sure parents ko kung boomers e. Medyo mixed yung "parent reviews" from my circle of friends. May mga nagtake over ng business, or nagbenefit sa "gifts" from parents. On the other hand, may friends rin na completely independent and most of the employees that I've spoken with are currently burdened naman by their parents in terms of medical fees, living expenses, etc.

*---I have four kinds of stocks and four kinds of equity and equity index mutual funds. it is what my investing powers and budget can take for now. Also, I wish to earn as fast as I could (I am 41 in a month or so), that way, by the time I am in my 50s, I have no need to panic the way i do now.

wow, very diversified! How much is this netting you annually in terms of net worth? Is it what's causing your anxiety? based on your outlook, 10 years is a loooong ass time to make more money. Guesstimate ko, is you can "safely" gain 150% of any base amount in 10 years given proper investments. If you have better investments then madali lang talaga ito. Depende nalang talaga sa base amount. Not sure if you mentioned na the base amount before.

that's also assuming that you're not adding to that base amount. So since you're constantly investing, I think good ka na. Have you tried running your figures in a spreadsheet?

*---I sure do hope so. Although i do feel that i have not done enough. Hence, my frustration.

Gets ko yung sentiment. I think it's really helpful that you're exploring a business venture. that can easily carry you depending on the scale. While I salute people with passive income through stocks, I feel that you can make a lot more if you're actively engaged in your income source, plus mas fun, in my opinion.

***---I wrote an update in my earlier post. Ate and I are working on it. We entered a business we have no idea how to run. If only there is a "How to Run a Translation Vendor Company for Dummies" book. We'd definitely devour it. Lol.

Congratulations on taking the first step! translation vendor company... hindi ako masyado familiar with the industry, but I'm assuming that you're translating materials into someone else's native language? how are the returns vs. what you initially invested in it?

Hi Ms.Neville... Not really someone rich para mag advise fully... but a few sounnd advise lang nmn... tama naman at tinatapos mo na mga debts mo... best is to invests in "assets"that would provide passive income... income that wont take up much of ur time... either through properties or businesses na me maasahan n kapartner...para kumikita kahit di ka actively nagwowork...some take to investing sa pag ibig mp2 program... which boasts annual divident around 8% (mindyou di ito fixed depende ito sa performance ng pag ibig) the best dito since its govt backed d k kakabahan n bk scam ito. Another is tax free ito... some others invest sa mutual funds. Last n dapat ang paginvest sa stock market need pag aralan ito...di pwede blindly...

thank you for sharing, do you consider 13.12% return a good return?

I don't like equities because I don't have time to monitor them so I just put my money in to mutual funds.

I also bought the same camera last year, it is a great camera but expensive lens.

What do you mean by financially independent? I think everyone has there own definition.

Yes, it is a good return since its a market return. I'm not sure kung nasabi ko to but i invest in an Index (U.S., Australia & International excluding U.S.) thru ETF. So whatever U.S. index(CRSP US Total Market Index), Australian index(ASX300) OR International (FTSE All World ex US Index) return is, thats what im gonna get. Thats thousands of companies working hard to give me a good return and i love it. Since these are index, i dont have to monitor them at all. I just buy every month to add to my portfolio according to the allocation i set to each one of them.

With regards to my Sony A7 III,yeah lenses are expensive specially those GM lenses.

Financial independence for me the state where i dont have to get paid work and trade my time for money. Its all about the FREEDOM of doing what i want to do, when i want to do it. At the moment with the income i have from my investment, im not F.I. yet. My income is only a meager $1K/month from dividends and w3 all know thats not enough. So kailangan pang dagdagan ang investment to free myself from forcing myself to trade my time (thru paid work), for money. My goal is to add atleast fresh $100k/per year to my investment.

I see. Medyo intense yung goals hehe! inheritance for children/pamangkins is something that i haven't considered yet. Though right now I'm just thinking that i'll split up the businesses among the children when the time comes, if they want to take it. May pahabol because early on I felt the pressure of my dad wanting me to take over his business, but I avoided the issue for the longest time haha! I'm sorry to hear about your parents. Did you mean that they didn't leave you guys any inheritances? Baby boomers are kids after ww2 no? hindi ko kasi sure parents ko kung boomers e. Medyo mixed yung "parent reviews" from my circle of friends. May mga nagtake over ng business, or nagbenefit sa "gifts" from parents. On the other hand, may friends rin na completely independent and most of the employees that I've spoken with are currently burdened naman by their parents in terms of medical fees, living expenses, etc.

wow, very diversified! How much is this netting you annually in terms of net worth? Is it what's causing your anxiety? based on your outlook, 10 years is a loooong ass time to make more money. Guesstimate ko, is you can "safely" gain 150% of any base amount in 10 years given proper investments. If you have better investments then madali lang talaga ito. Depende nalang talaga sa base amount. Not sure if you mentioned na the base amount before.

that's also assuming that you're not adding to that base amount. So since you're constantly investing, I think good ka na. Have you tried running your figures in a spreadsheet?

Gets ko yung sentiment. I think it's really helpful that you're exploring a business venture. that can easily carry you depending on the scale. While I salute people with passive income through stocks, I feel that you can make a lot more if you're actively engaged in your income source, plus mas fun, in my opinion.

Congratulations on taking the first step! translation vendor company... hindi ako masyado familiar with the industry, but I'm assuming that you're translating materials into someone else's native language? how are the returns vs. what you initially invested in it?

Sakit ko kasi ang sobrang haba ng forethought ko sa ibang plano ko. Sa maniwala ka o hindi, gusto kong bahay ay tipong bahay na bato...para kahit 3 o 4 generations down the line, magagamit pa rin nila yung bahay. Ancestral house to the fore.

Pero single with no kids ako. LOL.

I stand corrected, hindi pala four companies...seven stocks pala, except for DMCI, COSCO, at MPI, green lahat sila. September 2018 lang ako nagsimula kaya wala pa akong annual return.

Ohmygulay...spreadsheets...titirik utak ko. haha. I will let my financial advisor check the numbers for me. Pero sa huling check nila (dalawa sila), they both gave me the thumbs up.

Ate and I have to study the translation industry. Alam kong magsalin, pero di namin alam kung paano at magkano maningil sa kliyente. I plan to focus on the "creative" side. My sister is more than capable of handling operations. She has that spine of steel to make people believe that she walks the talk.

Hi Ms.Neville... Not really someone rich para mag advise fully... but a few sounnd advise lang nmn... tama naman at tinatapos mo na mga debts mo... best is to invests in "assets"that would provide passive income... income that wont take up much of ur time... either through properties or businesses na me maasahan n kapartner...para kumikita kahit di ka actively nagwowork...some take to investing sa pag ibig mp2 program... which boasts annual divident around 8% (mindyou di ito fixed depende ito sa performance ng pag ibig) the best dito since its govt backed d k kakabahan n bk scam ito. Another is tax free ito... some others invest sa mutual funds. Last n dapat ang paginvest sa stock market need pag aralan ito...di pwede blindly...

Thanks sa payo. Tapos na po ang debts ko. Whatever debt I have now is just credit card debt that I pay for with a set budget. In short, di na ako red di tulad noon.

And what assets that would provide passive income are you referring to? If you are referring to properties, not yet. I plan to buy in cash. I refuse to be in debt just to pay for a condo that I don't even use. Bahay ko muna uunahin ko para di na ako nakatira sa isang inuupahang kuwarto. Since di ko pa alam kung saan ako titira talaga at wala pa akong 1M in cash para pambili ng lote man lang...saka na siya.

I have mutual funds and stocks for starters. Yung negosyo namin ng Ate ko ay kakasimula pa lang. Wala pang konkretong kita yon.

MP2? still studying it. If the bureaucratic headache outweighs the financial gains, sa bangko at stock market ko na lang ilalagay ang ipon ko.

Here's a screenshot of my portfolio dated 07-04-2019 as of 935 AM.

Suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I am setting aside more funds to buy shares from companies in my port that are in the red. That's my way of upping my cost average and minimizing my paper losses.

post-139229-0-82380200-1562204034_thumb.jpg

Sakit ko kasi ang sobrang haba ng forethought ko sa ibang plano ko. Sa maniwala ka o hindi, gusto kong bahay ay tipong bahay na bato...para kahit 3 o 4 generations down the line, magagamit pa rin nila yung bahay. Ancestral house to the fore.

Pero single with no kids ako. LOL.

I stand corrected, hindi pala four companies...seven stocks pala, except for DMCI, COSCO, at MPI, green lahat sila. September 2018 lang ako nagsimula kaya wala pa akong annual return.

Ohmygulay...spreadsheets...titirik utak ko. haha. I will let my financial advisor check the numbers for me. Pero sa huling check nila (dalawa sila), they both gave me the thumbs up.

Ate and I have to study the translation industry. Alam kong magsalin, pero di namin alam kung paano at magkano maningil sa kliyente. I plan to focus on the "creative" side. My sister is more than capable of handling operations. She has that spine of steel to make people believe that she walks the talk.

Thanks sa payo. Tapos na po ang debts ko. Whatever debt I have now is just credit card debt that I pay for with a set budget. In short, di na ako red di tulad noon.

And what assets that would provide passive income are you referring to? If you are referring to properties, not yet. I plan to buy in cash. I refuse to be in debt just to pay for a condo that I don't even use. Bahay ko muna uunahin ko para di na ako nakatira sa isang inuupahang kuwarto. Since di ko pa alam kung saan ako titira talaga at wala pa akong 1M in cash para pambili ng lote man lang...saka na siya.

I have mutual funds and stocks for starters. Yung negosyo namin ng Ate ko ay kakasimula pa lang. Wala pang konkretong kita yon.

MP2? still studying it. If the bureaucratic headache outweighs the financial gains, sa bangko at stock market ko na lang ilalagay ang ipon ko.

Here's a screenshot of my portfolio dated 07-04-2019 as of 935 AM.

Suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I am setting aside more funds to buy shares from companies in my port that are in the red. That's my way of upping my cost average and minimizing my paper losses.

COL 07-04-2019 935 AM.jpg

Good job neville. Ano ang target portfolio mo?