LA Lakers

The Lakers ran the Warriors out of the gym, seriously

post-481684-0-02715900-1457324481_thumb.jpg

The Lakers handed the Warriors their sixth loss of the season in a blowout on Sunday.

The Golden State Warriors were 55-5. The Los Angeles Lakers were 12-51. But something funny happened in Los Angeles on Sunday: the Lakers ran the Warriors out of the gym. They won 112-95 in a game that was never close.

The Lakers outplayed the Warriors in the first half -- forcing 11 turnovers to take a 60-49 lead into the break -- and kept charging in the third. They built up a 14-point lead in the third and it grew to 23 in the fourth. Everyone seemed to be waiting for the patented Warriors' run, but it never came. The Lakers held on and pulled off one of the most improbable regular season upsets in NBA history.

Sunday's game was the first in NBA history between a team with a win percentage better than .900 and a team with a win percentage below .200 at least 50 games into a season, per Baxter Holmes of ESPN -- and the Lakers pulled it off.

They were a step ahead of Golden State all day, taking advantage of lazy passes and shaky defense. Jordan Clarkson was the driving force, scoring 25 points to lead the way while D'Angelo Russell added 21 points and five assists. The youngsters outplayed Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, who were a combined 1-of-18 from behind the three-point line. The Lakers double-teamed Curry every chance they got, and the Warriors couldn't find an answer.

The Warriors played their sloppiest game of the year, making careless passes and missing the shots they usually make -- they shot 13.3 percent from deep as a team and had 20 turnovers. Instead, the Lakers looked like the team chasing the NBA record for wins.

Kobe Bryant, in his final game against the Warriors, had 12 points in 24 minutes.

Edited by hahnz

According to the Mock Draft if the playoffs started now and with the win/loss records as they are. The top 5 teams picking would be

1. Philadelphia 76ers

2. LA Lakers

3. Phoenix Suns

4. Boston Celtics

5. Minnesota Timberwolves

With Ben Simmons projected to go number 1. The sixers will pick him. Which leaves. Brandon Ingram being picked by the Lakers as the 2nd pick. But this all depends on who gets the ping-pong balls. Its not a sure thing, they might even jump up to 1st. But this is just a mock draft anyway.

Both LA and Boston will be lottery teams ... ngayon ko lang yata nakita to... anyway, sana makuha nila yung ben simmons...

Stranger things have happened. They forced a lot of turnovers from the Warriors which led to them leading big coasting through the win. I wasn't even watching the game, i was watching the first quarter and just came back and checked the 4th quarter and i was surprised that they were leading by that much. THe bad shooting from the outside from the Warriors also helped so it was a good day for the Lakers.

Michael Jordan gives full set of Air Jordans to Kobe Bryant

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant has gotten one impressive retirement gift from Michael Jordan.

The Jordan Brand gave Bryant a full set of the sneakers released so far in the Air Jordan line -- 30 pairs in all. The gift was presented early Saturday at the Jordan Brand All-Star party, which Bryant attended.

post-481684-0-59834600-1458194767_thumb.jpg

This was posted on the Jordan twitter page with the a message

Lasting Legacy.

A gift from the Boss to Kobe Bryant before his last All-Star Game

"The Jordan Brand is about more than basketball, it's about leaving a legacy and honoring those who have left a legacy," Jordan Brand president Larry Miller said. "Tonight the brand was able to honor one of the game's great players and the legacy he created."

Included in the set are purple-and-gold versions of the Air Jordan III and Air Jordan VIII -- the two shoes that Bryant wore during the 2002-03 season.

Bryant, an 18-time All-Star who is retiring after this season, received the 30 pairs of white shoes in his size 14.

An alternate set of shoes -- in black, also size 14 -- is being auctioned off on eBay for charity with an opening bid of $100,000. The auction ends Sunday at noon ET.

-- this is one heck of a going away gift from MJ to Kobe on his retirement tour. 30 pairs of Air Jordans.

Edited by hahnz

Report: Lakers Investigating Sexual Harassment Allegation Against Nick Young And Jordan Clarkson (UPDATED)

post-481684-0-59089800-1458619780_thumb.jpg

The Los Angeles Lakers are investigating after a woman accused guards Nick Young and Jordan Clarkson of sexually harassing her and her mother on Sunday night, reports ESPN.

The incident came to light when the woman, Alexis Jones, posted photos of four men in a Jeep who she said yelled and made vulgar gestures at her and her mother while they were both stopped at a red light. Commenters identified two of those men as Clarkson and Young.

post-481684-0-83816400-1458619790_thumb.jpg

Jones is a co-founder of I AM THAT GIRL, a non-profit that helps “girls to transform self-doubt in to self-love by providing a safe space to connect and have honest conversations about things that matter.” She says the irony of Young and Clarkson sexually harassing her is that she was working with the NBA to have the league adopt one of her programs.

Lakers PR guy John Black told ESPN that the Lakers are taking the incident “very seriously,” and that Bryon Scott has spoken to both players about it.

Why would you fire Kupchak? He's only working with what he's got. Which is not much these days. It went downhill the moment Jim took over for daddy Buss. No marquee free agent wanted to play for Kobe anymore after Dwight skipped town to Houston.

How ironic how bad two of the top NBA franchises of all-time, LA Lakers and NY Knicks, have been mismanaged these days.

Report: Lakers Angry At D’Angelo Russell Over Leaked Nick Young Video

post-481684-0-72691600-1459379131_thumb.jpg

Lakers players are angry at teammate D’Angelo Russell, have no trust in him, and are refusing to sit with him at meals, according to a report from Baxter Holmes and Marc Stein:

At a recent breakfast meeting, one source said, no Laker would sit with Russell at his table. The source added that, in another instance, Russell came into the locker room and sat next to guard Lou Williams, who got up and walked away.

“It’s bad,” one team source told ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne. “It’s about as bad as it can get. There were trust issues already. Now there’s no trust.”

The anger stems from a video uploaded to Twitter last week by celebrity gossip website Fameolous. The video shows Russell filming teammate Nick Young while he is watching TV in a hotel room, responding to Russell’s questions about women. Young talks about having hooked up with a 19-year-old woman “after the club” during the summer, seemingly admitting to having cheated on his fiancée Iggy Azalea.

Why Russell was filming Young, whether Young knew he was being filmed, why Young seemingly admitted to cheating on Azalea, and how the videos became public is all unknown. ESPN quotes a portion of a longer video that wasn’t uploaded by Fameolous but still somehow surfaced (h/t @jakeybzz), in which Young seems to learn that he was being filmed:

Later in the conversation, while apparently still recording, Russell is heard telling Young, “I’m glad you told my video all that.”

“Huh?” Young says, turning his face toward Russell before the video cuts off.

Lakers shun D'Angelo Russell for secret video which puts teammate and Iggy Azalea's fiance in compromising position

The Los Angeles Lakers have degenerated into a bad soap opera.

Rookie guard D'Angelo Russell has been shunned by his teammates, ESPN.com reported Tuesday night, for making public a secretly recorded video where teammate Nick Young is talking about women other than his fiancee, hip hop star Iggy Azalea.

The Lakers are suffering enough, with a 15-59 record, but teammates are said to be ``ticked off'' at Russell for a video that the rookie considered a prank.

``DeAngelo is sometimes 20 going on 14,'' a source told the Times. ``They're all trying to prank each other this season. This was a stupid prank.''

ESPN reported that Russell sat by himself at a recent breakfast. At another point, Russell sat next to teammate Lou Williams, who immediately got up and walked away.

``Right now, they're handling it by isolating him,'' an anonymous source with the Lakers organization told ESPN.

One person who isn't upset with Russell is Azalea, who thanked the Lakers guard for the ``intel'' on Twitter.

``Hmmm. I see D'Angelo Russell is trending. I actually liked his film. Thanks, bro,'' she tweeted.

With the Russell issue as well as a recent 123-75 blowout loss to Utah, team morale, according to ESPN.com, is ``about as bad as it can get. There were trust issues already. Now there is no trust.''

- Lesson Learned: Never snitch on other guys.

Former pros stunned at D'Angelo Russell's disregard for locker room rules

post-481684-0-90817200-1459463237_thumb.jpg

The unwritten rules that govern locker rooms and clubhouses across sports are fairly standard. They're tied together by a thread of common sense that deters you from stealing, cheating or snitching. Most of the rules can essentially be boiled down to the same, catchy slogan that has become synonymous with Las Vegas: "What happens here, stays here."

When Los Angeles Lakers guard D'Angelo Russell recorded a private conversation with teammate Nick Young, during which he asked Young -- who is engaged to rapper Iggy Azalea -- about being with other women, he broke that cardinal rule. When the video of that recording ended up online for public consumption -- well, he essentially took a sledgehammer to the rule. Although it's unclear how the video became public, it might be impossible at this point for Russell to piece back any semblance of trust with his teammates, according to several former athletes.

"There are levels to the rules," said SportsNation co-host Marcellus Wiley, who played in the NFL for 10 seasons. "The violations start at pillow talk, and that happens in every single locker room. Guys are talking amongst guys, and someone goes home and tells their significant other, and that turns to gossip, and someone else hears about it from the outside and it comes back into the locker room. That's a misdemeanor, because it happens so often. But what D'Angelo did was felonious. This is the worst example I've ever seen. This is damning."

The Lakers selected Russell, who turned 20 last month, with the second overall pick in last year's draft. He and Young, 30, developed a bond this season and routinely hung out off the court. In the video, it appears Russell is recording Young at his house while they are watching TV. Despite their close relationship, some are finding it hard to believe Russell will ever be able to regain the trust of Young or other teammates.

"If you're on my team, we spend so much time together and we go through everything together, we're more than just friends." said ESPN NBA analyst Antonio Davis, who played for 13 seasons and is a former president of the National Basketball Players Association. "We're like brothers because of everything we've gone through. So for your brother to do something like that and for it to end up on social media, that's lower than low. It says so much about [Russell]. I think it might get so bad that he's going to have to be traded. If I'm on that team, I'm not playing with him. It would literally be hard for me to sit in the locker room with him."

Chances are Russell won't be traded this offseason, but there's a strong possibility the Lakers' roster will be overhauled. That could include the team parting ways with Young, which could give Russell a fresh start with the same team. The story, however, won't go away.

"Fortunately for D'Angelo Russell, that team is in such flux there will be a tremendous amount of roster turnover, and that could help him a little bit," said ESPN NBA analyst Tim Legler, who played for 10 seasons. "But even new guys coming in are going to know about this event. It's a shady thing to do. People can write it off as immaturity, but I think it goes deeper than that. I think it speaks to your integrity as a person and your overall trustworthiness. It's going to be a difficult thing for him to shed. I don't know how you recover from something like this."

"If this happened in an NFL locker room, I would be shocked if there wasn't a physical altercation of some sort."

Jeff Saturday, former Colts and Packers center

The Lakers players have responded to the incident by isolating Russell, according to ESPN sources. Reportedly, no Laker would sit at his table during a recent breakfast, and when Russell sat next to Louis Williams in the locker room, Williams got up and walked away.

The reaction might not have been as muted if a similar incident occurred on a football team.

"If this happened in an NFL locker room, I would be shocked if there wasn't a physical altercation of some sort," said ESPN NFL analyst Jeff Saturday, who played 13 seasons for the Colts and one for the Packers. "I definitely don't agree with Young doing whatever he's doing, but as a teammate and as a friend, my expectation is that you come to me first. I would have never have expected it to end up on social media. We have rules that everyone abides by as a team, and this is our family away from our family, and we have to treat it like that. There are things that happen in your family and in your home that you wouldn't want broadcast on social media. There are conversations that you don't want everyone in America knowing. You have to be able to have that trust amongst your teammates."

Russell has been called out for his immaturity on other occasions this season. In February, Lakers coach Byron Scott said: "He's such a kid. I told him the other day, 'You're 19, but sometimes I think you're 14.' "

The video Russell recorded of Young, however, represents to former players something worse than immaturity.

"If I'm a rookie and I'm asking my vet, who's engaged, what really happens, I'm getting that information to help me with the game and in the streets," Davis said. "I'm not shooting a documentary and putting it on Snapchat. C'mon, dude. It just sheds some light on D'Angelo Russell and who he really is. Can this guy be trusted? For you to be at my house or for me to be at your house and you to record me like that? It's almost like he's setting him up. It's crazy. This is going to follow him. . . . It's never going away."

Not everybody interviewed for this story thought the damage to Russell was permanent. It won't happen overnight, but if this is his biggest violation of the unwritten rules, Russell might bounce back in time. However, a lot of that could depend on Young.

"The only way you gain favor back is if the offended party forgives you and says, 'We're good,' " said Lakers radio broadcaster Mychal Thompson, who had a 13-year NBA career. "I think that will depend on how this affects Nick's personal life and the ramifications of this. That's something D'Angelo is going to have to hope works out. This is a unique situation, but this won't follow him forever. We have short memories. There will be another story that captures our attention."