The End of the American Century?

the associated press will discontinue using "illegal immigrants" because according to them, it has ethnic undertones. they'll replace it with "undocumented immigrants".

jay leno countered with, "they will now use the phrase undocumented democrats".

don't tell that to the liberal left. they'll throw a fit.

Ha ha ha. Here's another example of political correctness that has changed the way we describe prople. So we have vertically challenged people (bansot) horizontally challenged people (mataba), mentally challenged (bobo) and so on. Trying not to hurt the feelings of people across the board is most difficult to achieve. Someway, somehow, we're all going to slip up and say something offensive even if we didn't mean to be offensive. It's been known to happen to the most well-meaning people.

political correctness is part of the problem in America. "food stamps" - a welfare program term - is now deemed a slur of some sort and has been replaced with the more official sounding "nutritional supplement assistance" or something like that, making mendicancy easier to swallow, and self-entitlement the new American attitude.

it's all about changing the mindset so you can change behavior next.

don't tell that to the liberal left. they'll throw a fit.

political correctness is part of the problem in America. "food stamps" - a welfare program term - is now deemed a slur of some sort and has been replaced with the more official sounding "nutritional supplement assistance" or something like that, making mendicancy easier to swallow, and self-entitlement the new American attitude.

it's all about changing the mindset so you can change behavior next.

yes. the progressives who'll call anyone racist if they're losing an argument. these people hijacked the true meaning of a liberal.

here's another from leno:

"tiger woods said that president obama is a good golfer for someone who only plays 5 times a week. you know what's the real handicap of the president? the economy".

a poster from a conservative website:

nero fiddled while rome burned. obama played golf while the economy tanked.

yes. the progressives who'll call anyone racist if they're losing an argument. these people hijacked the true meaning of a liberal.

here's another from leno:

"tiger woods said that president obama is a good golfer for someone who only plays 5 times a week. you know what's the real handicap of the president? the economy".

a poster from a conservative website:

nero fiddled while rome burned. obama played golf while the economy tanked.

And the liberals will say GWB was reading a book to school children called "My Pet Goat" while the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were being attacked on September 11, 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pet_Goat

michael moore included that clip in his 2004 movie. the left used that a lot in that year's election cycle.

I've observed something. I don't know if this observation is right or wrong. Anyway I've noticed that when the American economy is strong (eg. unemployment is low, recession is under control, etc. ) Republicans usually win. When the economy is bad, Democrats come to power.

Very simple observation which I cannot support with any proof, data, or argument. Just a simple hunch on my part. Hopefully, this should provoke some serious thought on this subject. Looking forward to your comments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

I've observed something. I don't know if this observation is right or wrong. Anyway I've noticed that when the American economy is strong (eg. unemployment is low, recession is under control, etc. ) Republicans usually win. When the economy is bad, Democrats come to power.

Very simple observation which I cannot support with any proof, data, or argument. Just a simple hunch on my part. Hopefully, this should provoke some serious thought on this subject. Looking forward to your comments.

nixon beat humphrey in 1968. 32 states vs. 13 states. wallace, the 3rd candidate, won 5 states.

the economy was so terrible in 1980. reagan walloped carter, the author of the misery index. 489 to 49 electoral votes.

the first 2 years were difficult because he had to change so many policies. when the economy roared in late 1983, mondale would have wished he did not run. he only won the district of columbia and minnesota, his home state. rumor has it that reagan did not contest minnesota even if it was a close race in that state. reagan by a record 525 electoral votes in 1984. 49 states to 1 state.

bush sr. got a boost in 1988 because of "reaganomics". some call it the 3rd term of reagan. dukakis was crushed by 426 to 111 electoral votes. bentsen got one vote from an elector in the electoral college. 43 vs. 7 states.

right now, republicans are doing well in local elections in so many states since 2010. they control so many state houses, governorships 29 ® vs 21 (D) and are the majority in the house of representatives. they are not as strong in national elections recently. it's their goal to take over the senate in 2014 and the white house in 2016.

don't count them out 3 years from now. every democratic candidate in 2016 will be saddled by the negative impact of obama care. the full effects will come in 8 months.

i wish scott walker or bobby jindal will win the republican nomination. walker destroyed the unions and balanced the budget in blue state wisconsin. jindal, a rhodes scholar, is a health care expert and is responsible in the economic recovery of lousiana.

nixon beat humphrey in 1968. 32 states vs. 13 states. wallace, the 3rd candidate, won 5 states.

the economy was so terrible in 1980. reagan walloped carter, the author of the misery index. 489 to 49 electoral votes.

the first 2 years were difficult because he had to change so many policies. when the economy roared in late 1983, mondale would have wished he did not run. he only won the district of columbia and minnesota, his home state. rumor has it that reagan did not contest minnesota even if it was a close race in that state. reagan by a record 525 electoral votes in 1984. 49 states to 1 state.

bush sr. got a boost in 1988 because of "reaganomics". some call it the 3rd term of reagan. dukakis was crushed by 426 to 111 electoral votes. bentsen got one vote from an elector in the electoral college. 43 vs. 7 states.

right now, republicans are doing well in local elections in so many states since 2010. they control so many state houses, governorships 29 ® vs 21 (D) and are the majority in the house of representatives. they are not as strong in national elections recently. it's their goal to take over the senate in 2014 and the white house in 2016.

don't count them out 3 years from now. every democratic candidate in 2016 will be saddled by the negative impact of obama care. the full effects will come in 8 months.

i wish scott walker or bobby jindal will win the republican nomination. walker destroyed the unions and balanced the budget in blue state wisconsin. jindal, a rhodes scholar, is a health care expert and is responsible in the economic recovery of lousiana.

So I take it you're pro-Republican then?

Bro didn't Obama inherit an economy that was badly tarnished under the George W. Bush's administration? Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. are companies that suffered serious problems under the watch of the Bush administration and which impacted the entire world.

both men are impressive. for a while there it looked like the unions would win vs walker but he prevailed. jindal seems like a shoo-in - he has a good personal story and has been successful in louisiana but i doubt he'll win the nomination. liberals have already painted him as kenneth from 30 rock. stupid, but labels like that seem to affect the voting public.

who can even fathom the effects obamacare will have with that much paper work involved. i mean, come on, a 60-page application form?

anyway...people tend to forget that in 2008, congress was controlled by the democrats, with an approval rating of 12%. people also tend to forget who worked to deregulate the banking industry. things like that don't seem to matter to voters anymore, it just matters that you can croon like al green and blame current woes on un-hip past presidents.

So I take it you're pro-Republican then?

not pro-republican. i'm just rooting for a few conservatives who will keep their campaign promises.

pro-business, pro-constitution, pro-life, strong on defense, tough on crime, less government regulations and the freedom to practice religion. these are in the republican party platform. i believe in them.

Bro didn't Obama inherit an economy that was badly tarnished under the George W. Bush's administration? Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. are companies that suffered serious problems under the watch of the Bush administration and which impacted the entire world.

those are facts. the right sphere won't contest those points. the question is how do they (democrats) solve those problems instead of repeatedly blaming bush?

obama is much worse. cash for clunkers, solyndra, the electric powered cars investments, 5 trillion added to the national debt in his first term, etc.

btw, wasn't the failure of fannie mae and freddie mack the result of the dodd-frank bill? this goes much further during the carter years with his community reinvestment act. the government forced the banks to lend to poor people to get access for housing. this is the "NINJA" loans. they lent funds to people with no income, no jobs and no assets.

Edited by harmless0810

btw, wasn't the failure of fannie mae and freddie mack the result of the dodd-frank bill? this goes much further during the carter years with his community reinvestment act. the government forced the banks to lend to poor people to get access for housing. this is the "NINJA" loans. they lent funds to people with no income, no jobs and no assets.

The federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack was in September 2008. The Dodd-Frank bill, a financial reform law in response to the recession was signed into law in July 2010. You must have meant the 1999 repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act which allowed commercial banks to engage in the investment business. The repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act (through the major effort of Republican legislators and commercial bank lobbyists) is largely blamed for the recent US financial crisis.

people also tend to forget who worked to deregulate the banking industry. things like that don't seem to matter to voters anymore, it just matters that you can croon like al green and blame current woes on un-hip past presidents.

The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLB), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 which repealed the banking restrictions imposed by the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. The law, however, was clearly the handiwork of the Republican dominated House and Senate.

Respective versions of the legislation were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001. During debate in the House of Representatives, Rep. John Dingell (Democrat of Michigan) argued that the bill would result in banks becoming "too big to fail." Dingell further argued that this would necessarily result in a bailout by the Federal Government.

The House passed its version of the Financial Services Act of 1999 on July 1, 1999, by a bipartisan vote of 343-86 (Republicans 205–16; Democrats 138–69; Independent 0–1), two months after the Senate had already passed its version of the bill on May 6 by a much-narrower 54–44 vote along basically-partisan lines (53 Republicans and 1 Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).

**Sotto-copied from internet sources

Edited by wackyracer

The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLB), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 which repealed the banking restrictions imposed by the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. The law, however, was clearly the handiwork of the Republican dominated House and Senate.

Respective versions of the legislation were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001. During debate in the House of Representatives, Rep. John Dingell (Democrat of Michigan) argued that the bill would result in banks becoming "too big to fail." Dingell further argued that this would necessarily result in a bailout by the Federal Government.

The House passed its version of the Financial Services Act of 1999 on July 1, 1999, by a bipartisan vote of 343-86 (Republicans 205–16; Democrats 138–69; Independent 0–1), two months after the Senate had already passed its version of the bill on May 6 by a much-narrower 54–44 vote along basically-partisan lines (53 Republicans and 1 Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).

**Sotto-copied from internet sources

Is it possible that commercial banks lobbied these republican politicians into enacting the 1999 law which repealed the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act? And isn't lobbying just a eumphemism for bribery?

• 2 weeks later...

in the continuing effort to eliminate gender bias, the governor of washington state recently signed a legislation replacing terms like fireman to firefighter, ombudsman to ombud, journeyman to journey level, freshman to first-year student, policeman to police, penmanship to signature and fisherman to fisher.

some of these are in the popular culture already. will the others be used? i don't know because wonder womyn is unavailable to give an opinion.

in the continuing effort to eliminate gender bias, the governor of washington state recently signed a legislation replacing terms like fireman to firefighter, ombudsman to ombud, journeyman to journey level, freshman to first-year student, policeman to police, penmanship to signature and fisherman to fisher.

some of these are in the popular culture already. will the others be used? i don't know because wonder womyn is unavailable to give an opinion.

:lol: Yeah before you know it, all these politically correct terms will end up in the latest dictionaries and English will never be the same. Well American English at least. I'll need to go back to school just to update my English vocabulary.

titan tires ceo maurice taylor wrote of french work habits, " i have visited the factory a couple of times. the french workforce gets paid high wages but works only three hours. they get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three. i told this to the french union workers in their faces. they told me it's the french way!"

reminds me of the work habits of a very cool guy.

lol!

anyway...

while people struggle in other parts of America, broke California wants to pay for illegal immigrants' college tuition.

that state is out of control.

the california assembly wants to allow non-US citizens to participate in jury duties with certain conditions.

a county council wants to give 'civil rights' to homeless people (actually allowing them access to bathrooms in any establishment, less restriction on panhandling and vagrancy laws, etc.).

that same council made a very scary proposal. all bathrooms in public schools will be accessible to school children of any gender as long as a boy/girl feels or thinks he/she is a girl/boy, he/she can use the girls/boys bathroom. something to do with gender identity. i forgot what they call this bill. if this becomes a law, they will endanger the lives of girls. the website Gender Insanity.com opposes this bill.

that state is out of control.

the california assembly wants to allow non-US citizens to participate in jury duties with certain conditions.

a county council wants to give 'civil rights' to homeless people (actually allowing them access to bathrooms in any establishment, less restriction on panhandling and vagrancy laws, etc.).

that same council made a very scary proposal. all bathrooms in public schools will be accessible to school children of any gender as long as a boy/girl feels or thinks he/she is a girl/boy, he/she can use the girls/boys bathroom. something to do with gender identity. i forgot what they call this bill. if this becomes a law, they will endanger the lives of girls. the website Gender Insanity.com opposes this bill.

Liberalist views gone totally insane....

Seems Republicans and Democrats can't seem to agree on a number of issues. Democrats are liberal leanng favor abortion and the liberal use of contraceptives even among teenagers. Republicans are conservative and are pro-life. Democrats are mostly pro-gun control. Republicans are generally anti-gun control. Democrats favor an egalitarian society. No rich, no poor people making them leftist in their views. Republicans favor entreprenurship, Hard work and getting rewarded according to the amount of work put in.

Republicans are pro-big business, Democrats favor increased government control and intervention in big business. The conservatives favor immigration control while the liberals bend backwards towards illegal aliens.

These two parties cannot seem to agree much regarding social, economic, religous/moral, and political issues.

Which is why I favor Independents. Those who can merge the good points of the Democrats and the good points of Republicans. Unfortunately, history has shown that it's always a Republican or a Democrat who is elected President of the United States. There hasn't yet been an Independent who's won an American presidential election.

Seems Republicans and Democrats can't seem to agree on a number of issues. Democrats are liberal leanng favor abortion and the liberal use of contraceptives even among teenagers. Republicans are conservative and are pro-life. Democrats are mostly pro-gun control. Republicans are generally anti-gun control. Democrats favor an egalitarian society. No rich, no poor people making them leftist in their views. Republicans favor entreprenurship, Hard work and getting rewarded according to the amount of work put in.

Republicans are pro-big business, Democrats favor increased government control and intervention in big business. The conservatives favor immigration control while the liberals bend backwards towards illegal aliens.

These two parties cannot seem to agree much regarding social, economic, religous/moral, and political issues.

Which is why I favor Independents. Those who can merge the good points of the Democrats and the good points of Republicans. Unfortunately, history has shown that it's always a Republican or a Democrat who is elected President of the United States. There hasn't yet been an Independent who's won an American presidential election.

The counterpart of democrats in the Philippines are the politicians who coddle squatters. Yet, over here, the reason for this is more about selfish interests: Squatter votes.

the conservatives backed off on creating a new party after the 2008 elections.

building the infrastructure from precincts to counties to states will take huge amounts of capital and manpower. registering for candidacy from state to state is also different. in 2011, rick perry, newt gingrich, rick santorum and michelle bachman failed to qualify in the virginia primary ballot.

obama spent 750 million versus john mc cain's 300 million in 2008. last year, mitt romney spent 1.02 billion versus 960 million for obama. these figures include funds raised by political action committees and independent fund raisers and bundlers.

independents like the libertarian, constitution and green parties will never raise these kind of campaign capital for a serious presidential run.