• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Pacquiao-Mayweather: “It’s going to happen”

grayle

1. Mayweather has been hit hard lately: Although his defensive reflexes have always been phenomenal, Mayweather was hit hard a few times by Marcos Maidana in their two fights (and by Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley in recent years). Maidana 'probably' has more power than Pacquiao, but Pacquiao, with his better boxing skills, will put himself into position to hit Mayweather more often than Maidana could. And while Mayweathers chin has never failed him before, a solid punch by Pacquiao will test him. A lot of Manny's punches might not land, but the ones that do, will certainly hurt Floyd.

I think most of us are agreeing about what Manny has to do to win. I agree with above theory and plan. One thing that needs to be assured though, Manny will have to throw a lot more punches to try to land some (right?) which means he really has to be on top shape, as Edmund says, No more Bulakbol! I am just wondering if 3 months is enough for him to get to that level?

Man, I just hope that secretly he has been training for Boxing and not for Basketball though.

We can at least all agree, Pacquiao experienced a spiritual transformation right at the same time when he also stopped chowing people on the ring a few years back. .

Sorry but if ever, this means that he did lose his killer instinct, and in this sport and specially with this fight, it is a big disadvantage. BUT....

In my opinion lang, killer instinct or lack thereof is only relevant if you are the dominant fighter. If you are not dominating, then self preservation will be the one to kick in.

I don't think, in this match at least, Manny will be dominating. If he convinces himself that he actually is, then it will be the biggest mistake of his boxing life.

I rooting for Manny, I want him to beat Money, but I am just saying it as I see it, we the fans can hope, fantasize all we want about Manny dominating this fight, but by gosh he himself should really really OVER estimate Floyd.

Kundi..... :( Heartbreak!

dapat within 6 round mapatumba ni pacman si gayweather kundi baka matalo tayo.

style ni gayweather takbo banat takbo banat.

dapat habang maaga habulin ni pacman at pulbusin na agad baka maka tsamba. at syempre ito pa ang kailangan. ang SIKRET WIPON!!!!!!

Clearly Sir, you do not really watch Floyd's fight, nor do you know much about boxing. Kung ganyan ang style ni Mayweather, hindi sya aabot ng 47-0. Tandaan mo, ayaw na ayaw ng mga judges ng ganyan. Kaya natalo si Dela Hoya noon kay Trinidad kasi yan ginawa kaya natalo sa decision. Sa lahat ng decision na naipanalo ni Floyd, isang beses pa lang sya natalo sa scorecard. Dalawang beses lang tumabla.

Pangalawa, hindi naman tama yung anatomy nya para sa ganyan style. Ang mga pwede dito, yung mga matatangkad at mahabang kamay tulad ni Wladimir Klitschko at syempre ni Muhammad Ali na puros Jab at gamit ang footwork para di maabot ng kalaban. Outside figthing ang tawag sa sinasabi mo. Hindi outside fighters ang mga counterpuncher.

Ang style ni Floyd, aantayin ka nya pumasok, ifru-frustrate ka nya. Kahit anong lapit ng distansya di mo matatamaan kasi matindi reflexes nya. Tapos counter, at hahabulin ka ng banat pag napapaatras ka na na. Yan ang problema ni Manny, di nya na alam gagawin nya pag napapaatras na. At minsan nangigigil din sya. Sina Hatton, Ortiz, Maidana, lahat nainis dahil hindi matamaan ng suntok si Floyd kaya nagumpisa na magkamali mali on the later rounds.

Dyan mo maapreciate ang laro ng boxing, hindi yan puro aggression at sugod ng sugod. Utakan din yan.

• Like (+1) 1

FRIEND: "Hey, Manny. You gave in to all his demands. Are you crazy?"

MANNY: "That's how we treat everyone in our Death Row. We give all they want before the execution."

bwahahaha! this made my day!

Teka totoo ba na merong stipulation na if Manny loses no rematch? Seriously?

Tax exemption daw para sa kikitain ni Pacquiao sa laban na ito. Talagang dura ito sa pagmumukha ng mga maraming pilipino na halos wala ng kitain sa laki ng kinakaltas. Tapos si Pacquiao na napakayaman at yayaman pa lalo kelangan di na magbayad ng buwis? Bakit? Aangat ba ekonomiya ng Pilipinas dahil sa laban na ito? Bababa ba ang unemployment rates? Mawawala na ba katiwalian sa Gobyerno? Hay Sen. Pimintel, hindi rin halata na sumisipsip ka sa taong ito para ikampanya ka. Imbes matitinong batas ipasa, nagkaron ka pa ng oras isipin ito.

And again for the actual fight itself, I have to root for the guy who I think is more skilled. Wouldn't we all love for Floyd to be put on his place? Pero this is not an FPJ movie, this is a sport. The better competitor wins and it is what it is. Given all the premises I laid down, I just don't see how Pacquiao will beat him or KO him even more.

• Like (+1) 3

bwahahaha! this made my day!

Teka totoo ba na merong stipulation na if Manny loses no rematch? Seriously?

base on interview kay manny wlang rematch pero meron kpag natalo si Floyd.

ang punto ko nman sa nilalakad ng isang mokong na senador na wag lagyan ng tax ang kikitain ni Manny aba gumising ka nman Mr. Senator... isipin nman nya ang mga simpleng trabahador na kinakaltasan ng buwis... kakarampot na nga ang kita kakaltasan pa...

BIR Henares ito'y isang kalokohan... lagyan ng buwis ang kikitain ni Manny! para lhat balanse

Edited by darksoulriver

well this fight is 5 years too late, but I'll take it.

anyway I'm rooting for Manny, but to be honest I really can't say who wins this, it's too close to call for me.

like in any other combat sport (MMA, Muay Thai, etc.) styles make fights, and their styles are just the extreme opposites of the other. they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, which to me makes this fight very interesting.

Floyd is an excellent technical boxer, so technical that he can win fights while taking the least amount of damage. Handspeed, head movement and footwork are way above average, plus his patented shoulder defense, makes him a very hard guy to hit. He's a great counterpuncher, his timing, exceptional. But he's lost a step, as evidenced by his last fight, and the two maidana fights where he struggled to put him away and actually got hit. He's still great though.

Manny on the other hand is a huge volume puncher, in the Algieri fight he landed 229 of 669 punches with 187 of 410 power punches, that's an insane amount that previous opponents have succumbed to, it's not unusual for Manny to throw 5 - 6 punch combos. Manny also has devastating hand speed and throws punches at weird angles leaving his opponents wondering where the next will come from. His biggest weakness is his bull-headedness that leaves him open to the right counterpunch opportunity, something JMM took advantage of and left him in a blubbering mess on the canvas. He's also lost a step or two though, if you compare Manny post JMM knockout, he seems more tentative and slow to step on the gas, the Manny that retired De la Hoya, was a hurricane of fists and power that was unstoppable.

Floyd has had a lot of trouble with fast volume punchers, as evidenced by the Zab Judah fight (If Judah didn't gas I still believe he could have taken PBF out) he has trouble with pressure, if Manny can keep up the intensity and protect himself intelligently (Floyd doesn't have knockout power anymore, his hands are too mangled that he can't hit hard enough for a KO), I can see Floyd clamming up, take his potshots here and there, and ride his bicycle for a UD victory. Some people say PBF can knock him out because JMM, who has a similiar counterpunching style, knocked Manny out. But what people forget, PBF isn't JMM. JMM is willing to take shots to get one, PBF won't, he doesn't like getting hit.

But still I don't know who wins it, that's why I'm excited for this. On May 2nd we'll see if defense beats offense, or offense can break down boxing's best defense.

If you're a fan of the sport, here's a great read.

Fightland analyst Jack Slack (IMO the best striking analyst on the internet today) breaks down Manny Pacquiao, what makes him so special, and how he does the things he does

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/manny-pacquiao-the-man-who-reinvented-boxing

---------

excerpts:

I want to put this in no uncertain terms: Manny Pacquiao is the fighter who should be remembered as defining this generation of boxers.

Yes, he's lost a couple recently, and no, he's not undefeated. His incredible winning streak beginning in 2005 was broken, but you have to pick your fights really carefully if you want to stay undefeated forever (and use that fact alone to sell tickets to fights).

No, I hope that Manny Pacquiao will be remembered for the paradigm shift in strategy and technique which he brought to the boxing world. There has never been a southpaw as adept in the use of angles to create punching opportunities as Pacquiao. There might not have been any boxer to date with the same understanding and discipline in footwork.

http://h9.abload.de/img/untitled-941a9a.gif

Pacquiao demonstrating his perpetual foot motion. He keeps turning Bradley and improving his ring position.

--------

To land that nap inducing left straight, Pacquiao would need his opponent circling towards it (which, knowing about it, they obviously wouldn't), or he would need to step out to his right, placing the opponent in front of his left hand.

Watch any southpaw with a good left hand to see this in action. But to see it with more polish, watch his left straight against Oscar De La Hoya. Pacquiao steps his lead foot outside De La Hoya's, gets his left shoulder on De La Hoya's center-line, and lands the left straight.

http://i.minus.com/ibtVVh5WGNZ2SL.gif

Often he would do this while checking De La Hoya's left hand, and then circle out. The circling out took Pacquiao away from counters, but also allowed him to follow up with another combination, while De La Hoya was turning.

--------

Here is a nice instance of that same pivot in action again against Miguel Cotto. Angles are not an offensive or defensive practice, they are both. Both the left straight and the pivot are set up by stepping the lead foot outside of the opponent's.

http://i.minus.com/iblBSL1RDi9d8J.gif

well this fight is 5 years too late, but I'll take it.

anyway I'm rooting for Manny, but to be honest I really can't say who wins this, it's too close to call for me.

like in any other combat sport (MMA, Muay Thai, etc.) styles make fights, and their styles are just the extreme opposites of the other. they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, which to me makes this fight very interesting.

Floyd is an excellent technical boxer, so technical that he can win fights while taking the least amount of damage. Handspeed, head movement and footwork are way above average, plus his patented shoulder defense, makes him a very hard guy to hit. He's a great counterpuncher, his timing, exceptional. But he's lost a step, as evidenced by his last fight, and the two maidana fights where he struggled to put him away and actually got hit. He's still great though.

Manny on the other hand is a huge volume puncher, in the Algieri fight he landed 229 of 669 punches with 187 of 410 power punches, that's an insane amount that previous opponents have succumbed to, it's not unusual for Manny to throw 5 - 6 punch combos. Manny also has devastating hand speed and throws punches at weird angles leaving his opponents wondering where the next will come from. His biggest weakness is his bull-headedness that leaves him open to the right counterpunch opportunity, something JMM took advantage of and left him in a blubbering mess on the canvas. He's also lost a step or two though, if you compare Manny post JMM knockout, he seems more tentative and slow to step on the gas, the Manny that retired De la Hoya, was a hurricane of fists and power that was unstoppable.

Floyd has had a lot of trouble with fast volume punchers, as evidenced by the Zab Judah fight (If Judah didn't gas I still believe he could have taken PBF out) he has trouble with pressure, if Manny can keep up the intensity and protect himself intelligently (Floyd doesn't have knockout power anymore, his hands are too mangled that he can't hit hard enough for a KO), I can see Floyd clamming up, take his potshots here and there, and ride his bicycle for a UD victory. Some people say PBF can knock him out because JMM, who has a similiar counterpunching style, knocked Manny out. But what people forget, PBF isn't JMM. JMM is willing to take shots to get one, PBF won't, he doesn't like getting hit.

But still I don't know who wins it, that's why I'm excited for this. On May 2nd we'll see if defense beats offense, or offense can break down boxing's best defense.

A fight of this magnitude takes time to setup. Come to think of it, fights like Tyson Vs Holyfield, Leonard Vs Hagler, Ali Vs Frazier took years to finally happen. When it did happen, many of these fighters were a bit past their peak prime already. Look at it this way, we wanted an Arnold and Sly teamup back in the early 90s but at the time they were just 2 very big stars. Not that Pacquiao or Mayweather are not at the top of the sport anymore. They are still relevant and surely they can still fight. At least hindi ito yung kagaya ng Hopkins Vs Jones 2. Sana talaga nangyari yung laban nung silang dalawa nagaagawan sa top P4P ranking.

As for the fight itself, OO magaling umikot si Manny, nga lang pag sya napapaatras di nya na alam gagawin nya

Wow, thanks for confirming that in the interview, no rematch, except if Floyd loses.... hmmm, if I were a conspiracy Theorist..... baka naman matalo si Floyd! :)

Regarding the discussions on skills and different styles, yun na nga, ang takot ko kay Manny, byera siya nang 4 to 5 combi tapos pag huminto, bibigyan ni Floyd! Sana yun ang pagisipan nang kampo ni Manny.

Isa pa, if Manny is going to be doing his tornado style fighting on Floyd and if Floyd isn't hitting him after those combis, the question is how long will Manny be able to sustain it. Kaya again, my question, is 3 months training enough? Did his Basketball training help with his endurance? :)

I wonder, I'm not a boxer kasi, if Floyd uses his Deltoids as a shield, wonder if Manny should be hitting it on purpose? :)