Apple iPad

It would be better if one actually have used an iPad for a week or so before making an evaluation about the unit. Yes, it is very good for email,e reading, browsing and more (tons of application). What I like about it most is it's instantaneousness. Don't have to wait for it to boot up. Anyway, it will be multitasking in a couple of months. My disappointments are no USB, no camera, no direct printing. As for productivity, applications are being made as we speak but I did get the keynotes/pages and numbers (all apple made).

I am sure the next generation of iPads will be upgraded. I am an avid touch screen fan and loved touchscreen typing. I wonder what company will do the bidding for the 3G service in the Philippines.

Will Globe do it since they are the de facto iphone partner in the Philippines.

i've used mine for almost a week now; although it would be better to have a usb port, and the ability to hook up to a printer, and a camera; i do NOT feel disappointed whatsoever. i bought it for what it is. oh, it'd also be nicer if it had a dvd drive. :)

like id6230, i also wonder when they'd offer the 3g service in the philippines for the iPad. it's sim card is smaller than the one used on a cell phone, and it comes pre-installed.

It would be better if one actually have used an iPad for a week or so before making an evaluation about the unit. Yes, it is very good for email,e reading, browsing and more (tons of application). What I like about it most is it's instantaneousness. Don't have to wait for it to boot up. Anyway, it will be multitasking in a couple of months. My disappointments are no USB, no camera, no direct printing. As for productivity, applications are being made as we speak but I did get the keynotes/pages and numbers (all apple made).

I am sure the next generation of iPads will be upgraded. I am an avid touch screen fan and loved touchscreen typing. I wonder what company will do the bidding for the 3G service in the Philippines.

Will Globe do it since they are the de facto iphone partner in the Philippines.

We tend to be hampered by the paradigms we carry. Look at the iPad as a cloud computing device and all its limitations will practically disappear provided someone throws up the service int he cloud. Why, you can be editing video on this thing provided your connection to the cloud is fast enough. That is all it has to provide, a fast connection. All processing can be provided by some humongous CPU in some data center somewhere int he world. Oh and you can USB, you can have a camera, and you can print if you want to. You just have to buy the bits that do it. Is that really a problem?

What sets this thing apart from the rest is the user experience it provides. It behaves in a way that makes you feel that it works and works well.

^^^ that's true, one can buy the peripherals; and no, it's NOT a problem. at least not for me.

boomouse - you probably don't remember a little over 3 years ago, i posted on the mac users' thread that i bought a macbook (my first time to ever touch an apple product). i've been a happy camper ever since. as for the iPhone, i converted when the 3gs came out about 10 months ago.

^^^ that's true, one can buy the peripherals; and no, it's NOT a problem. at least not for me.

boomouse - you probably don't remember a little over 3 years ago, i posted on the mac users' thread that i bought a macbook (my first time to ever touch an apple product). i've been a happy camper ever since. as for the iPhone, i converted when the 3gs came out about 10 months ago.

In your case, no news would be good news. If you were not happy I am sure we would all heard about it long before. Good on you.

Technological "discoveries" is and will always be an evolving process. What is new today will be old tomorrow. So it really up to you to decide to buy what is available now. If you want to wait so that you can get a better version of the current one, then that will be great too. In the end, it is your money and your decision to make. An alternative choice for a tablet is the WeTab (used to be WePad). It is german made and will be available in a month or 2, if I am not mistaken. You can order it at amazon.de. It will only be available in Germany initially. It has a USB, camera (front and back, I think = not so sure) media reader (SD). 2 versions (wifi and wifi 3G). You can google it for more info.

Technological "discoveries" is and will always be an evolving process. What is new today will be old tomorrow. So it really up to you to decide to buy what is available now. If you want to wait so that you can get a better version of the current one, then that will be great too. In the end, it is your money and your decision to make. An alternative choice for a tablet is the WeTab (used to be WePad). It is german made and will be available in a month or 2, if I am not mistaken. You can order it at amazon.de. It will only be available in Germany initially. It has a USB, camera (front and back, I think = not so sure) media reader (SD). 2 versions (wifi and wifi 3G). You can google it for more info.

It is pointless to try to keep pace with technology. You will always lose. Just decide if what you want to buy offers you justifiable utility. If not, don't buy. If you decide that it does, knock yourself out.

Once you buy a tech device, forget about what else comes out in the market. Just try to maximize its use so that in a few years or when you think you are ready to update, you can do so without much trepidation.

you think ipad is better than netbook?

That depends on how you define "better". If you think higher versatility, lower price, use of a mainstream OS like Windows is better, then a netbook might indeed be better. However, even if a netbook does all of these, it is not necessarily more usable. It is possible that it will be abysmally slow that you will be tempted to chuck it out the window.

If on the other hand, you think "better" is what delivers a good user experience—a device that work like you expect it to doing the things that you do on a daily basis, iPad it is. I own several Macs including Macbook Pros but with the arrival of my 32 GB 3G iPad, I had little cause to pick up anything else on a regular week. Surfing, emails, watching movies is much eaier on the iPad because it goes with me everywhere and I have internet everywhere. Using a cutting pattern I got long ago from MTC member Albastro (supplied with his dual sim conversion kit) I was able to cut the regular Globe, Sun, and Smart Bro SIMs and this means that I will always have access to the internet wherever I am.

I also have a netbook, well, had. An MSI Wind. It was real cheap, but it was bloody slow, the battery was as anemic as the processor, and it was bulky. Plus, it had "low end" written all over it so it does nothing for one's street cred in high powered meetings especially. iPad is not a Macbook Pro or Air but I get more attention and interest during presentations because this time, I can pass the thing around to highlight a point of discussion.

Now, the only time I decide to go to a MBP or iMac is if I have to do something like transcode video, or burn a disc, or edit video. It makes a great temporary photo repository when shooting digital photos. Paired to an EyeFI SD card, pictures get sent to the iPad as they are taken.

Using the old-fashioned definitions for "better", netbooks would win.

But define better as the things that make life easier and iPad wins.

Edited by boomouse

In 2001, Microsoft introduced the Tablet PC, with Bill Gates firmly believing that the next stage in man-machine interface was to eliminate the keyboard altogether. That idea flopped badly, and the only thing that Microsoft was able to save from that idea was Windows Vista with Tablet PC support, which can be seen in such devices as HP's Tx touchscreen laptop series.

The iPad doesn't offer anything new. So if Apple's iPad succeeds, I don't know what to say except that Apple has done a very good job of cultivating blind sheep from among the world's gadget users.

You think that given the millions of iPads sold and more selling at the rate of 250,000 units weekly, perhaps the sheep know something that a human being like you has failed to see?

ipad = epic fail

How do you want your crow cooked? Adobo? Can!!!

============

International iPad Sales Kick Off with Long Lines [updated]

May 28th, 2010 at 8:19 AM - News by Jeff Gamet

http://www.macobserv...ith_long_lines/

Apple began selling the iPad internationally on Friday to long launch day lines, and in some cities, excited shoppers camped out over night to be among the first to get their hands on the multimedia tablet. In addition to the United States, the iPad is now available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K.

The overnight line at Apple's flagship store in Tokyo grew to about 1,200, and shoppers began lining up at the Regent Street flagship store in London about 24 hours ahead of the launch.

19 year old Takechiyo Yamanaka set up camp outside the Tokyo Apple Store Wednesday day night to be first in line. "I wanted to touch it as soon as possible. I felt a true excitement when it was finally in my hands," he told Reuters.

">How its like in Tokyo

17 year old Jake Lee lined up outside London's Regent Street Store on Thursday afternoon, according to the BBC. He originally planned on buying a 32GB iPad, but decided to go for the 64GB model instead — much like many U.S. shoppers did when the iPad went on sale in the States.

Shoppers lined up early outside the Milan Apple Store in Italy to buy their iPads, although it looks like there weren't very many people interested in waiting overnight. setteB.IT caught excited shoppers on film ahead of the launch and after the store doors opened.

Apple plans to release the iPad in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore in July.

============

Epic fail you say?

iPad is now outselling even the Mac.

iPad introductory sales grew at twice the speed of iPhone introductory sales and the iPhone was said to have made marketing history after being a hit during the worst recession of the current century.

Gloat. gloat. gloat.

Edited by boomouse

ill just get the WePad ...its about 145$usd and got what the IPad is lacking.(usb port, webcam, sd card slot)..

While I respect your choice of choosing the WePad, i think most people miss the point of the iPad.

If you are a power user, which i think you are because you prefer the wepad and the additional features it provides, you definitely will think that the iPad is short on features. Though have you tried using the iPad already?

I believe that what will set the iPad apart is the user experience. The UI of the iPad is absolutely top notch. It allows you to work the way you want to work - it does not force you to conform to what an OS wants you to do things. The target market for the iPad i believe are the not-techie or non-power user types who want and easy to use device for their media consumption.

The wePad has great features but it still runs an OS originally designed for a desktop computers that uses a mouse as its primary input/command device. The paradigm is totally different. (And this is coming from someone who used to make a living selling Windows software and extolling its virtues)

Hope you dont mind the comments, it just for a good healthy discussion :-)

willriker

• Like (+1) 1

An I pad is an oversized i touch.

As with all technology, more so from Steve Jobs, those who buy first generation are beta testers who pay for the experience. When do you think next iteration of i pad will come out? Before end of 2010 kaya? What improvements will it have?

• Downvote 1

An I pad is an oversized i touch.

As with all technology, more so from Steve Jobs, those who buy first generation are beta testers who pay for the experience. When do you think next iteration of i pad will come out? Before end of 2010 kaya? What improvements will it have?

When was the last time you saw two million beta testers after 59 days in the market? Has this ever happened in the PC world? Oh wait, it has! Remember Windows Vista? I believe they are still beta testing up to now. No. Wait. they've shifted to Windows 7. They're beta testing again?

===================

Apple at the 2 million iPad mark: Rivals swamped by platform

By Larry Dignan | June 1, 2010, 2:30am PDT

http://www.zdnet.com...le_skin;content

Apple has sold 2 million iPads in 59 days and now is shipping in many international markets. The iPad sales surge is impressive and Apple is building a nice lead ahead of what will be a bevy of copycat devices on deck.

The real difference maker: Apple's platform (iTunes, App Store, iPhone, iPod). In a statement, Apple said that the iPad has 5,000 new apps just for the device. Toss in another 200,000 apps or so on the App Store and the iPad has a huge ecosystem behind it.

As noted last week, the Android tablet army is forming as a bevy of tablets will hit the market. But the buying decision may come down to the ecosystem. Apple just has a richer selection of stuff. To effectively compete with the iPad, rivals—whether Android or Windows 7 powered—will have to bring the apps and ease of use quickly.

It seems that the absence of flash wasn't such a big thing after all.

If Apple keeps up this pace, there may be 10 million iPad units in the field before a valid competitor—Dell, MSI, Asus, HP or someone else—emerges. Simply put, rivals may not have as much time as they thought to catch Apple. The first quarter of 2011 may be too late. The iPad won't have an iPhone-like lead in the market place, but Apple can sell enough units to create a nice virtuous cycle.

What does this virtuous cycle look like?

Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore examined the Apple ecosystem effect in a research note last week:

We analyzed the size of the iPhone, iPod and iPad installed base in the context of customer dollars invested in content (Apps, video, music etc) via the iTunes / App store. As highlighted below, we believe the installed base of Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPod and iPad) is currently ~150M units and should grow to 200M+ units by the end of next year (assumes a 2 year life on hardware). Meanwhile, Apple's 'Other music related products and services' line represents a good proxy for music, apps and videos sold for exclusive use on these devices. Using this framework, Apple customers have invested ~$15B in content cumulatively for their Apple devices, which we see growing to ~$25B by the end of next year. This averages to ~$100 of content for each installed device; suggesting switching costs are relatively high (not to mention the time required to port and free apps). When Apple's best in class user experience is combined with these growing switching costs, the resulting customer loyalty is unparalleled.

Bottom line: Apple is building a moat around its iPad business at the 60-day mark. If rival tablets—Android or otherwise—are going to compete they better hurry up.

Larry Dignan is Editor in Chief of ZDNet and SmartPlanet as well as Editorial Director of ZDNet's sister site TechRepublic.

================

Edited by boomouse