Do You Have The Time?

bonito99

Audemar's Royal Oak is their signature watch which they launched in the late 70s. Patek countered with their Nautilus line which is now making a comeback.

The Royal Oak (stainless steel) is more expensive (around P450k) than the Patek Calatrava (P350K) which is Patek's entry level.

The Royal Oak is more impressive because of its shape and size and it looks more sporty. There are a few limted editions, one which was featured in the Terminator 3 movie (limited to 500 pcs).

Lucerne Shangrila has a nice display on the Audemars.

thanks on the info sir. From your POV which do you think is more stylish and prestigious Audemars or Patek?

rubber strapped g-shock for malling days

metal strapped g-shock for the office

either of metal strapped or leather strapped omega seamasters for formal wear

but lately i've always been wearing my metal strapped seiko 5 landshark! :thumbsupsmiley: now i understand why a lot of people are going gaga over seiko divers watches! they're such an understatement! :)

what's next? i'm saving up for an iwc aquatimer automatic 2000! :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by chipmaker

Happy Rider,

It depends on your classification, i believe both are better than a rolex as both are considered to be in the top 10. Patek is considered by most to be the pinnacle of watches. I have the patek annual calendar which i enjoy wearing on the weekends. The audemar is a big bulky around 40mm so if you have a small wrist, medyo awkward ang dating.

My point of view, if you are starting to enjoy watches, the Audemar will be a better bet. Its not that pricey as that of the middle / higher models of the patek which would be in the 950K and up range.

Id go with the AP...edward piguet.......patek are excellent timepieces but it gives the impression of grandfather or old uncle to me. just my opinion. only Patek i like, if i ever purchase one is the gondolo 5111G in white gold.....yellow gold watches or two tones are...ummmm old people watches..that's just my opinion though.

Id go with the AP...edward piguet.......patek are excellent timepieces but it gives the impression of grandfather or old uncle to me. just my opinion. only Patek i like, if i ever purchase one is the gondolo 5111G in white gold.....yellow gold watches or two tones are...ummmm old people watches..that's just my opinion though.

I guess you're simply not familiar with Pateks.

"ummmmm old people watches..."

i never knew there were those...:P

does that make us old people ei chip? i have seven vintage seikos dating up to 1965...gawd, i must be really, really old...that makes you one, too, bonito...

:lol:

:boo:

now that you've brought it up, i remember one time i was wearing a vintage (read: 1950's) Omega borrowed from my dad's stash to a cocktail party. a matrona came up to me and complimented me on my choice of wristwear. told me i looked so carinyoso. :boo: if an old man's watch can transform this asswipe into a carinyoso, i'd wear those old man's watches everyday! teka... carinyoso applies for old guys lang ba? :lol:

Hey..... I do have a mental maturity of a 16 year old. :lol:

Patek IS Patek.

and THIS is a Patek

http://www.goeres.lu/Patek%20Philippe_files/5712img8.jpg

doesn't look like an old man's watch to me... but that's just the carinyoso in me talking. :lol:

Edited by chipmaker

I'm not saying he's ignorant but as a watch collector, you learn to appreciate all fine time pieces. But of course you may have biases with some brands. It's like me not appreciating rolex as "the" or an "it" time piece.

Guess some people took offense in the word "old" as you really appreciate "old" time pieces. These become heirlooms.

Just my two cents worth.

hehehe i stirred up something here.....ok let me rephrase.....patek is not my style...it doesnt get me excited....as far as the nautilus...it is making a comeback....but i think it's ugly..i also think the AP royal oak is ugly too...both the royal oak and nautilus is trying way too hard in there design...the design is outdated.....royal oak, geez those ugly screws...reminds me of cartier santos..hehehhe.

as far as Raoul stated...im not familiar with Pateks....i know im not, cause im not a Patek design fan...i know they have great calibres.

im just a JLC kinda guy..."a watchmakers watchmaker"

vertu i know your'e a watch freak...anyone who have watch winder cabinets are...your'e not old im older than you by a little but maybe your taste for some timepieces are old. there's nothing wrong with that.

it's what floats your boat. as far as appreciating timepieces. i do appreciate and admire the complications but some designs just doesnt get me excited.

everyone's got there own taste. it's just like women ...but they are more expensive to collect and that's another story.

also one thing that bugs me is why do high end watches have to use another watchmakers ebauche. it just makes a high end watch less pure....for example some of the Pateks using JLC ebauche???...that just makes a "PATEK NOT A PATEK" but something else. i cant respect that. im just picky.

vertu maybe you can explain further.

oh i forgot ......patek are old people watches and so are yellow gold and two tone watches...........hahahhahaa.

Appreciation of watches is simply a matter of personal preference. Some can be happy with Seiko while others prefer Tags. I prefer the watches that I have because I like them whether its for their style, workmanship, value or simply the personal pride knowing that I'm wearing one of them. Note: I don't wear my watches to impress other people - I do it because it makes me happy.

Well, i cannot speak for the watchmakers posta code. In this age and time, there are very few "pure" time pieces. I admire the JLCs. I was there during the launch of Lucerne a few months back, but they are just not my style. As Ken Miura said, wear something that makes you happy.

I'm not a fan of two toned watches, but i have to respect those who like them as we say to each its own.

Appreciation of watches is simply a matter of personal preference. Some can be happy with Seiko while others prefer Tags. I prefer the watches that I have because I like them whether its for their style, workmanship, value or simply the personal pride knowing that I'm wearing one of them. Note: I don't wear my watches to impress other people - I do it because it makes me happy.

Amen, Ken. Spoken like a true watch connoisseur. One need not flaunt to take pride in what he/she feels good about.

hehehe i stirred up something here.....ok let me rephrase.....patek is not my style...it doesnt get me excited....as far as the nautilus...it is making a comeback....but i think it's ugly..i also think the AP royal oak is ugly too...both the royal oak and nautilus is trying way too hard in there design...the design is outdated.....royal oak, geez those ugly screws...reminds me of cartier santos..hehehhe.

sandali lang....pareho ako meron nito....yung ap na royal oak and right now am wearing my cartier santos as i write this....so what does that make me???? :wacko:

well as you said....to each his own. ;)