Do You Have The Time?

bonito99

the quartz just doesnt have 'it'- the x factor.  notwithstanding the resale price,  an automatic watch feels more alive than the quartz which comes on as a machine. 

strange, my speedmaster doesnt seem to stop when i alternate it another watch daily and i dont see the need to wind it.  had it serviced last june at omega hk.  im contemplating on selling it because tmy datejust doesnt seem to be getting any wrist time.  im just hesistating because it is already out of production and it is such a beauty.  omega stopped two tone speedmasters 10 years ago.

i read somewhere that for perpetual calendar moonphase watches like iwc or patek, you need to bring it to a watchmaker to have it adjusted if you pass the actual time and date.  others use watch winders but more to avoid the lubrication inside the movement getting stucked up.

what your wife said makes sense.  that's why they came up with that marketing slogan for patek, but im not sure the next generation would appreciate the watches the same way we do now.

by the way, are you in your 30's or 40's? dont worry, i wont tell

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yes, the automatic is the movement of choice for collectors and true afficionados. as the for quartz, accuracy is its foremost virtue plus it gives the watchmaker the ability to keep it slim and tiny. i havent come across that item of having a watchmaker to adjust the moonphase of those watches... well, i guess, i will get there if and when i could get my dream watch.. but for now... it remains a dream

am in my 40s, which was the essence of getting the iwc. i had my panthere for about 10 years.

other watches that i like to look at are drivers' watches.. Oris came out with the a Williams Montoya and Schumacher but these drivers left Team Williams BMW. Tag has the Coultard and Raikonan and Omega the Michael Schumacher. The Omega is pretty pricey. IWC came out recently with the Ingenieur AMG limited edition.

yes, the automatic is the movement of choice for collectors and true afficionados.  as the for quartz, accuracy is its foremost virtue plus it  gives the watchmaker the ability to keep it slim and tiny.  i havent come across that item of having a watchmaker to adjust the moonphase of those watches... well, i guess, i will get there if and when i could get my dream watch.. but for now... it remains a dream

am in my 40s, which was the essence of getting the iwc.  i had my panthere for about 10 years.

other watches that i like to look at are drivers' watches..  Oris came out with the a Williams Montoya and Schumacher  but these drivers left Team Williams BMW.  Tag has the Coultard and Raikonan and Omega the Michael Schumacher.  The Omega is pretty pricey.  IWC came out recently with the Ingenieur AMG limited edition.

drivers watches are the territories of iwc and tag. oris is slowing creeping in. imho, i think omega has been getting endorsements right and left without much consideration to its identity. only good ones they had was pierce brosnan, cindy crawford and anna kournikova. oris has been more picky, getting the likes of miles davis, louis armstrong, charlie parker, frank sinatra, ralph schumacher, beckham, Nicolas Cage, Keanu Reeves, anthony hopkins, meg ryan, harrison ford, tommy lee jones.

two of my simple desired watches:

http://www.oris.ch/pr/pictures/tn/tn_BigCrownComplication.jpg

http://www.oris.ch/pr/pictures/tn/tn_prp6_2004.jpg

the second one is 24 k gold case but not available locally

drivers watches are the territories of iwc and tag.  oris is slowing creeping in.  imho, i think omega has been getting endorsements right and left without much consideration to its identity.  only good ones they had was pierce brosnan, cindy crawford and anna kournikova.  oris has been more picky,  getting the likes of miles davis, louis armstrong, charlie parker, frank sinatra, ralph schumacher, beckham, Nicolas Cage, Keanu Reeves, anthony hopkins, meg ryan, harrison ford, tommy lee jones.

two of my simple desired watches:

http://www.oris.ch/pr/pictures/tn/tn_BigCrownComplication.jpg

http://www.oris.ch/pr/pictures/tn/tn_prp6_2004.jpg

the second one is 24 k gold case but not available locally

oris watches... yes!

good watches yet reasonably priced! true value for money! pretty long list of celebrity endorsers, including the godfather.. Ol' Blue Eyes...

it's quite unfortunate the Oris was not featured in the book Watches International V. I use this book as reference to the different brands that catches my fancy.

oris watches... yes!

good watches yet reasonably priced!  true value for money!  pretty long list of celebrity endorsers, including the godfather.. Ol' Blue Eyes...

it's quite unfortunate the Oris was not featured in the book Watches International V.  I use this book as reference to the different brands that catches my fancy.

good watches need not be expensive nor flashy. oris makes only mechanical watches, which is a big plus added to some beautiful and functional watches :)

dago to some, ol blue eyes to many, my main man. too bad he was too old for his last concert here in manila to the point that he forgot the lyrics of my way.

you seem very knowledgeable with watches. maybe we could get together some time with the bo man for some watch and food talk. i'm sure i could learn much from you

good watches need not be expensive nor flashy.  oris makes only mechanical watches, which is a big plus added to some beautiful and functional watches :)

dago to some, ol blue eyes to many, my main man.  too bad he was too old for his last concert here in manila to the point that he forgot the lyrics of my way.

you seem very knowledgeable with watches.  maybe we could get together some time with the bo man for some watch and food talk.  i'm sure i could learn much from you

i only learn from what i read from books, magazines and exchanges from other watch afficionados. i also subscribe to iwc newsletter and get a quarterly subscription from lucerne.

i only learn from what i read from books, magazines and exchanges from other watch afficionados.  i also subscribe to iwc newsletter and get a quarterly subscription from lucerne.

i was sent an iwc yearly hardbound catalogue but dont know of any newsletter. as for lucerne, i think it would be better to buy abroad as there are more choices and cheaper..

congratulations, that watch is way better than both of your previous watches combined.

i agree. thanks again. although the previous watches couldn't hold a candle to the bucherer, they do have great sentimental value in them which is why i still consider them dear.

am already contemplating my next acquisition though.

browsed through the 2005 wristwatch annual at powerbooks...DROOL!!!!!!

had my rollie serviced earlier for 19,150.

charges were:

hands - 1,750

white roman dial - 9200

date wheel- 700

service including buffing - 7,500

i chose the original white roman dial over:

blue jubilee- 7,800

ivory pyramid roman- 8,500

i'll get it after 10 working days.

effectively this would look like a new watch, i suppose. congrats!

effectively this would look like a new watch, i suppose.  congrats!

thanks, it probably would, except for the fact that it has lug holes, showing the age of the watch. positively, most replicas ive seen are without lug holes. :) looks like i have to postpone buying the 2tone oris moonphase. im probably off to hongkong next month, will surely drool over the piagets, audemars, iwcs, chronoswiss and pateks there. :(

Guest buru_tus
excuse me lang po...pasingit .... i used to like wearing watches, but for some reason i just started to look at my CF instead for the time...but the watch i have, no batt anymore, is a g-shock..hehehe..para kahit saan pwede..

same here

I just used my CP to check the time

before used to have 8 watches

4 Seikos

3 Guess

1 Tissot

Swerte ng bayaw ko, sa kanya napunta yung iba

excuse me lang po...pasingit .... i used to like wearing watches, but for some reason i just started to look at my CF instead for the time...but the watch i have, no batt anymore, is a g-shock..hehehe..para kahit saan pwede..

well, to each his own... some people like celphones, some like bags and shoes... some people like watches... simple timepieces to ornate complications, "skeletenized" faces or white face...

more than time reference, a watch has deeper traditions and ingenuity, this adds value to it