Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

sorry i mean toroman NEVER had a program.

u said toroman never had a program? and built a team around douthit and took it from there?

i just cant believe what i read.

baliktad ang pagkakaintindi mo kapatid.

fyi, smart gilas was already a team when douthit came. it was a 3 year program.

douthit was in the team for a year. ibig sabihin may smart gilas na bago pa dumating si douthit.

another proof of this was there were a few american and even a serbian who played for smart but never got toromans nod as the teams naturalized player. so how could u say that the team was built around douthit?

do u mind me asking, si yeng guiao ka ba? o si chot reyes?

u said toroman never had a program? and built a team around douthit and took it from there?

douthit was in the team for a year. ibig sabihin may smart gilas na bago pa dumating si douthit.

another proof of this was there were a few american and even a serbian who played for smart but never got toromans nod as the teams naturalized player. so how could u say that the team was built around douthit?

I agree.. at first they took CJ Giles who was a defensive beast and way more athletic than Douthit. Problem is sobrang pasaway, panay ata night life and if i'm not mistaken ay sumabit pa ata sa gulo in a night club. Thus, maski maganda sana cohesion nya with the then team ay sinibak sya. The Serbian import that we got was Milan Vučićević who was not much of a scorer and defensive anchor that the team needed although he had solid basketball fundamentals and he can shoot from the outside. He only played for 1 foreign tournament with the team as an import yata. On the local side, those that were initially given a 3-year contract and signed it were Cris Tiu, Jayvee Casio, Dylan Ababou, Marc Barroca, Mac Baracael.. The rest diko na matandaan pero sina Rabeh Al Hussaini also signed a contract (shorter) for 1 year before going pro. The fil-ams were only signed mid-way (Lassiter and Lutz) after conducting try-outs in the states. The likes of Paul Lee or Noy Baclao din ata rejected the invitation to play for flag and country since the concept of having a long-term contract was new and they did not want to be tied if they wanted to go pro. Dapat pa nga commend yong first batch of players who took a leap of faith and signed a long term contract of the likes of Cris Tiu who opted to remain and be a part of the future Gilas team/program. Si Japeth Aguilar ay nadagdag na lang din after his urong-sulong mentality and playing for the then PBA flavored Powerade team where Gilas actually fared way better.

I guess the point was that there was a program in place, the hiring of Toroman was part of that vision and the selection of the players was a fluid thing that constantly had some changes with the import dilemma wherein Douthit's naturalization papers was actually delayed. Amateur players that dreamed of playing in the PBA than representing the country was actually a constant problem, sana nag-stay na lang si al Hussaini he would have been of help. Even Paul Lee of Baclao could have helped shore up the frontline and the likes of Slaughter and Aldrech Ramos should have played on the recent FIBA games instead of their mother university teams. Parang nawawala yong prioritization or even Junmar Fajardo of Cebu should have been part of Gilas, alam ko tumaggi din handler nito since supported ata ni Graham Lim backer nya dati. All in all, its not fair to blame Toroman for all the suposedly short-coming of the Olympic qualification goal. Yeah we failed but we fared way better that our accomplishments have been for the past 10 years or so inspite of the obstacles that it has to go thru. I think what the program needs is continuity/stability (player and coach), player development (for the young talents), unity and prioritization. Playing for the flag and country should be the top priority over playing for collegiate or PBA teams. The best amateur or professional players should play for the national team. If ayaw mag-cooperate ng PBA then the focus should be on the best amateur talent available and sufficient dapat ang compensation for the players to stay within the program and not be lured by going pro agad. I think if Paul Lee played for Smart Gilas then he would surely have been the number 1 pick hands down. Even Jason Ballesteros na bangko lang ng Gilas was even selected on the first round of PBA coz players do improve in terms of skill set and maturity. I have faith in MVP din naman, hopefully top-caliber coach pa din ang kunin if not Toroman pero dapat i-address din yong ibang problems that snagged the recent Gilas team. Tigilan na dapat ang stop gap measures of getting PBA players on the last minute at walang nangyayari sa atin dito.

Sensya haba ng rant ko tongue.gif

Edited by Droidz1979

I agree.. at first they took CJ Giles who was a defensive beast and way more athletic than Douthit. Problem is sobrang pasaway, panay ata night life and if i'm not mistaken ay sumabit pa ata sa gulo in a night club. Thus, maski maganda sana cohesion nya with the then team ay sinibak sya. The Serbian import that we got was Milan Vučićević who was not much of a scorer and defensive anchor that the team needed although he had solid basketball fundamentals and he can shoot from the outside. He only played for 1 foreign tournament with the team as an import yata. On the local side, those that were initially given a 3-year contract and signed it were Cris Tiu, Jayvee Casio, Dylan Ababou, Marc Barroca, Mac Baracael.. The rest diko na matandaan pero sina Rabeh Al Hussaini also signed a contract (shorter) for 1 year before going pro. The fil-ams were only signed mid-way (Lassiter and Lutz) after conducting try-outs in the states. The likes of Paul Lee or Noy Baclao din ata rejected the invitation to play for flag and country since the concept of having a long-term contract was new and they did not want to be tied if they wanted to go pro. Dapat pa nga commend yong first batch of players who took a leap of faith and signed a long term contract of the likes of Cris Tiu who opted to remain and be a part of the future Gilas team/program. Si Japeth Aguilar ay nadagdag na lang din after his urong-sulong mentality and playing for the then PBA flavored Powerade team where Gilas actually fared way better.

I guess the point was that there was a program in place, the hiring of Toroman was part of that vision and the selection of the players was a fluid thing that constantly had some changes with the import dilemma wherein Douthit's naturalization papers was actually delayed. Amateur players that dreamed of playing in the PBA than representing the country was actually a constant problem, sana nag-stay na lang si al Hussaini he would have been of help. Even Paul Lee of Baclao could have helped shore up the frontline and the likes of Slaughter and Aldrech Ramos should have played on the recent FIBA games instead of their mother university teams. Parang nawawala yong prioritization or even Junmar Fajardo of Cebu should have been part of Gilas, alam ko tumaggi din handler nito since supported ata ni Graham Lim backer nya dati. All in all, its not fair to blame Toroman for all the suposedly short-coming of the Olympic qualification goal. Yeah we failed but we fared way better that our accomplishments have been for the past 10 years or so inspite of the obstacles that it has to go thru. I think what the program needs is continuity/stability (player and coach), player development (for the young talents), unity and prioritization. Playing for the flag and country should be the top priority over playing for collegiate or PBA teams. The best amateur or professional players should play for the national team. If ayaw mag-cooperate ng PBA then the focus should be on the best amateur talent available and sufficient dapat ang compensation for the players to stay within the program and not be lured by going pro agad. I think if Paul Lee played for Smart Gilas then he would surely have been the number 1 pick hands down. Even Jason Ballesteros na bangko lang ng Gilas was even selected on the first round of PBA coz players do improve in terms of skill set and maturity. I have faith in MVP din naman, hopefully top-caliber coach pa din ang kunin if not Toroman pero dapat i-address din yong ibang problems that snagged the recent Gilas team. Tigilan na dapat ang stop gap measures of getting PBA players on the last minute at walang nangyayari sa atin dito.

Sensya haba ng rant ko tongue.gif

now, theres someone who knows his basketball. ^_^

Norman Black to Talk ‘N Text, Chot Reyes to Smart Gilas five?

Norman Black is set to make a return to the Philippine Basketball Association as a coaching rigodon is expected to be formalized this month involving teams bankrolled by business tycoon-sportsman Manny V. Pangilinan.

The arrangement will include coach Chot Reyes moving over to the Smart Gilas national team from Talk ‘N Text in the PBA.

Black will move to the Talk ‘N Text camp while Reyes will replace Serbian Rajko Toroman, who was offered the consultant’s post at Smart Gilas after serving as its head coach.

http://sports.inquirer.net/20045/norman-black-to-talk-%E2%80%98n-text-chot-reyes-to-smart-gilas-five

now, theres someone who knows his basketball. ^_^

Thanks bro.. in short basketball NERD tongue.gif

If Toroman won't be retained as head coach of Smart Gilas i hope he would accept the position as consultant and he would handle a holistic approach for RP basketball from talent development within RP, to talent scouting outside, to training/development of local coaches and coming up with a sustainable program. Para di masayang 3-years know-how nya with our country and address the problem he encountered then on a macro-level. Sana lang rolleyes.gif

I've been reviewing who could possibly be the next team members of the Smart Gilas team and this is what I have thought of ala PBA Fantasy...

1st Five:

C - Marcus Douthit 6'11"

PF - Yancy De Ocampo 6'9"

SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

SG - Gabe Norwood 6'5"

PG - Alex Cabagnot 6'0"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

PF - Jun Fajardo 6'10"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'4"

SG - Bobby Ray Parks 6'5"

PG - Paul Lee 6'1"

Reserves:

F/G - Chris Lutz 6'4"

F/G - Jeffrei Chan 6'2"

Average height of this team: 6'6"

What do you think guys? ^_^

I've been reviewing who could possibly be the next team members of the Smart Gilas team and this is what I have thought of ala PBA Fantasy...

1st Five:

C - Marcus Douthit 6'11"

SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

SG - Gabe Norwood 6'5"

PG - Alex Cabagnot 6'0"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

PF - Jun Fajardo 6'10"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'4"

PG - Paul Lee 6'1"

Reserves:

F/G - Chris Lutz 6'4"

F/G - Jeffrei Chan 6'2"

What do you think guys?

=============================================================

Yancy de Ocampo? You still have faith on the way he plays basketball? Since you stated the height at 6'9", I assume you really mean Yancy not Ranidel.

1st Five:

C - Marcus Douthit 6'11"

SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

SG - Gabe Norwood 6'5"

PG - Alex Cabagnot 6'0"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

PF - Jun Fajardo 6'10"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'4"

PG - Paul Lee 6'1"

Reserves:

F/G - Chris Lutz 6'4"

F/G - Jeffrei Chan 6'2"

pwede nga. very promising line up lalo na sa mga bago.

1st Five:

C - Marcus Douthit 6'11"

SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

SG - Gabe Norwood 6'5"

PG - Alex Cabagnot 6'0"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

PF - Jun Fajardo 6'10"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'4"

PG - Paul Lee 6'1"

Reserves:

F/G - Chris Lutz 6'4"

F/G - Jeffrei Chan 6'2"

yancy de ocampo? kung siya rin lang, mas mabuti nang si mick pennissi... ranidel stands only 6'5.. and yancy is 6'8...

para sa akin, malabo si arwind... magaling nga siya sa PBA, pero tignan niyo nangyari nung kay coach yeng led Phil. team.. hindi siya nakaporma sa mga 6'9-6'10 na kalaban. masyado naman siya mabagal for 2 or 3 spot.

then, lassiter ok naman pinakita niya last time.. kaya pwede parin siya consider. i think norwood's perimeter and 3-point shooting is below average considering diyan tayo dapat malakas.

hindi uubra ung mga lay-up ni cabagnot sa international lalo na malalaki mga nandun.

but, this is just my opinion.. peace! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

A team composed of 66.7% from the PBA does not work as shown by the previous teams that were formed half cooked and last minute without any real cohesion. Besides, their mother teams interest always comes first with the multi-million investment they've made to these players and the risk of injuries that it may result. I'd say continue a program of having players mostly/majority from the amateurs with longer contract this time around and at least 2 naturalized players while continuing to scout for Fil-am players elsewhere. My bet of players are :

1st Five:

C - MarcusDouthit 6'11"

PF/SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

SF/PF - Aldrech Ramos 6'6"

SG - Bobby Ray Parks 6'3"

PG - Paul Lee 6'1" (kaso tumaggi nato noon)

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

PF - Jun Fajardo 6'9" (player todevelop)

SF - Arwind Santos 6'6"

SG - Cris Tiu 5'11"

PG - Kiefer Ravena 5'11"

Other player options :

SF/G – Chris Lutz 6'4"

SF - Marcio Lassiter 6'4"

SF – Mike Silungan 6'3"

SF/G – Alex Nuyles 6'2"

SG – Calvin Abueva 6'2"

SF/G – Jeric Teng 6'2"

SG– Kevin Ferrer 6'2"

PG –Lester Alvarez 5'9"

PG– RR Garcia 5'10"

PG– Jeric Fortuna 5'7"

PF/C – Arnold Van Opstal 6'9" (player to develop)

PF– Norbert Torres 6'7" (player to develop)

PF/C – Another naturalized player or fil-am playerpref 7'0"

*red font are current PBA players

Edited by Droidz1979

@ Sir Photographer - My mistake. Actually I was looking for a tall player that might suit up for the PF position who can be intimidating inside the painted area. My only consideration here was his size. Aldrech Ramos can be a good option instead of Yancy.

@ Sir Khilua23 - Yes indeed, Lassiter can be a better SG than Norwood. Kailangan lang mag-improve ang consistency ng shooting nya.

I had a wonderful time thinking of a possible line-up for the next Gilas team.

Thanks for the comments guys ;).

A team composed of 66.7% from the PBA does not work as shown by the previous teams that were formed half cooked and last minute without any real cohesion. Besides, their mother teams interest always comes first with the multi-million investment they've made to these players and the risk of injuries that it may result. I'd say continue a program of having players mostly/majority from the amateurs with longer contract this time around and at least 2 naturalized players while continuing to scout for Fil-am players elsewhere. My bet of players are :

1st Five:

C - MarcusDouthit 6'11"

PF/SF - Japeth Aguilar 6'9"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'6"

SG - Cris Tiu 5'11"

PG - Kiefer Ravena 5'11"

Other player options :

SF/G – Chris Lutz 6'4"

SF – Mike Silungan 6'3"

SF/G – Alex Nuyles 6'2"

SG – Calvin Abueva 6'2"

SF/G – Jeric Teng 6'2"

SG– Kevin Ferrer 6'2"

PG –Lester Alvarez 5'9"

PG– RR Garcia 5'10"

PG– Jeric Fortuna 5'7"

ure line-up is the most realistic. pwede pang magbuo jan ng team 1 at team 2 para mas lalong madevelop ang national team. although i dont think paul lee wold agree playing for the national team as well as with fajardo. si arwin santos pang pba lang siya although athletic sana pero nung past fiba experience nikya kitang kita ang pagtiklop niya. with japeth sana naman maimprove na siya sa pba and mabatak ung interior strength niya just like na nanguyari kay danny i dati na lampayatot pero would later become one of the best power forwards ng bansa. but so far you're line-up is the best. ung iba kasi porket magaling sa pba eh kala nila they will bring glory na.. ang kelangan kasi program at ang kailangan ung mga bata na maglalaro not only for 2-3 years but 5-10 years.

sequence doesn't mean anything. changes and rigodons happened all throughout. in fact even at the last minute. chot reyes was never really critical of toroman. they have the same boss. si yeng 'foul-mouthed' guiao lang.

it was a 3-year program that ended 2 weeks before the olympic qualifier (the main goal). thats why in 2 weeks time they had to scramble for the final line-up.

looks ok. ako lang i would still add alapag. i think he is still the best PG we have that suits local and intl tournaments despite his size (is norwood of capable of point guard position?). and a tall medium range spot up player. the likes of tony dela cruz of alaska.

1st Five:

C - MarcusDouthit 6'11"

PF/SF - Japeth Aguilar[/colo 6'9"

2nd Five:

C - Greg Slaughter 7'0"

SF - Arwind Santos 6'6"

SG - Cris Tiu 5'11"

PG - Kiefer Ravena 5'11"

Other player options :

SF/G – Chris Lutz 6'4"

SF – Mike Silungan 6'3"

SF/G – Alex Nuyles 6'2"

SG – Calvin Abueva 6'2"

SF/G – Jeric Teng 6'2"

SG– Kevin Ferrer 6'2"

PG –Lester Alvarez 5'9"

PG– RR Garcia 5'10"

PG– Jeric Fortuna 5'7"

looks ok. ako lang i would still add alapag. i think he is still the best PG we have that suits local and intl tournaments despite his size (is norwood of capable of point guard position?). and a tall medium range spot up player. the likes of tony dela cruz of alaska.

yes sir Gabe is capable he played both as an SG and PG during his GMU days nung naglalaro pa sya sa GMU

sequence doesn't mean anything. changes and rigodons happened all throughout. in fact even at the last minute. chot reyes was never really critical of toroman. they have the same boss. si yeng 'foul-mouthed' guiao lang.

it was a 3-year program that ended 2 weeks before the olympic qualifier (the main goal). thats why in 2 weeks time they had to scramble for the final line-up.

now u agree that it was a three year program? but on ur earlier post u said toroman never had a program. youre contradicting yourself. :lol:

ang trending ng topic kung may program ba si toroman o wala. eh ano ba talaga tingin mo mayroon bang program o wala? yes or no na lang para di ka malito sa sinasabi mo. :lol: di ka pa mahihirapan mag explain. :P

Edited by kenichi15

smart gilas is not toroman's program. it's sbp's. there will be smart gilas even without toroman. toroman's program should be the team's system and brand of play. and there's none. ergo...

now u agree that it was a three year program? but on ur earlier post u said toroman never had a program. youre contradicting yourself. :lol:

ang trending ng topic kung may program ba si toroman o wala. eh ano ba talaga tingin mo mayroon bang program o wala? yes or no na lang para di ka malito sa sinasabi mo. :lol: di ka pa mahihirapan mag explain. :P

smart gilas is not toroman's program. it's sbp's. there will be smart gilas even without toroman. toroman's program should be the team's system and brand of play. and there's none. ergo...

haays nag explain pa. yes or no lang.

pero siya tutal sabi mo walang program si toroman.

okay na yun.

opinion mo yun.

baluktot nga lang. :lol:

Dont know where to post this........just sharing.........

China, India to field 7-footers

By JONAS TERRADOOctober 18, 2011, 2:30am

NHA TRANG, Vietnam — Members of the Energen Pilipinas U-16 team get the chance to see and gauge their rivals Tuesday as the FIBA Asia U-16 Championship kicks off at the Khanh Hoa Sports Center here.

The Nationals will not be a part of a seven-game schedule that will kick off the 11-day, 15-nation cagefest but the last match of the day promises to be a highly-anticipated one as China battles India – which boast of seven-foot players.

China, the reigning champion, will field in 7-foot-2 beanpole Zhou Qi against India's 7-foot-2 Satnam Singh Bhamara in the last game at 9 p.m. (10 p.m. Manila time).

Zhou is trumpeted as the next Yao Ming after toying Germany with 41 points, 28 rebounds and 15 blocks in a tournament held earlier this year in Turkey.

Based on some YouTube clips, the 16-year old Zhou has been a terror on the defensive stop even blocking outside shots of the opponents while displaying solid shooting touch from the perimeter and low post moves.

On the other hand, Satnam is only 15 years old but he actually played for India in the recent FIBA Asia Championship in Wuhan, China where it finished 14th out of 16 teams. He had 28 points against Sri Lanka for the U-16 team in a qualifier for this youth tourney.

Satnam, who dreams of playing in the NBA someday, even attended a camp in the United States where he showed some scouts his promising ability.

PH coach Olsen Racela was personally awed at the Chinese team during a chance encounter at the Olympic Hotel where both squads are billeted but they will have a chance to scout them along with the other teams.

"It's hard to scout the other U-16 teams because they rarely join tournaments kaya di pa namin talaga alam," said Racela. "But because of the schedule, maganda para sa amin because we will be able to scout the opponents."

The Nationals are bracketed in Group D alongside neighbors Indonesia and host Vietnam, a first timer in this event. No one will be eliminated from this group but winning now will play a big factor in their bid to enter the next round.

After the preliminary round, they will join the top three squads of Group C in the second round with their win-loss records to be carried over. The other pairing is comprised of Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Japan.

China heads Group A alongside India, Malaysia and Chinese Taipei while Group B is composed of South Korea, Lebanon, Uzbekistan and Iraq, which are reportedly tapping two cagers standing 6-foot-5.

The Filipinos, who practiced Sunday night at an outdoor court and late yesterday afternoon, debut tomorrow against Indonesia, a team they beat by 63 points in the SEABA U-16 tourney held last August in Banting City, Malaysia.

Dont know where to post this........just sharing.........

China, India to field 7-footers

By JONAS TERRADOOctober 18, 2011, 2:30am

NHA TRANG, Vietnam — Members of the Energen Pilipinas U-16 team get the chance to see and gauge their rivals Tuesday as the FIBA Asia U-16 Championship kicks off at the Khanh Hoa Sports Center here.

The Nationals will not be a part of a seven-game schedule that will kick off the 11-day, 15-nation cagefest but the last match of the day promises to be a highly-anticipated one as China battles India – which boast of seven-foot players.

China, the reigning champion, will field in 7-foot-2 beanpole Zhou Qi against India's 7-foot-2 Satnam Singh Bhamara in the last game at 9 p.m. (10 p.m. Manila time).

Zhou is trumpeted as the next Yao Ming after toying Germany with 41 points, 28 rebounds and 15 blocks in a tournament held earlier this year in Turkey.

Based on some YouTube clips, the 16-year old Zhou has been a terror on the defensive stop even blocking outside shots of the opponents while displaying solid shooting touch from the perimeter and low post moves.

On the other hand, Satnam is only 15 years old but he actually played for India in the recent FIBA Asia Championship in Wuhan, China where it finished 14th out of 16 teams. He had 28 points against Sri Lanka for the U-16 team in a qualifier for this youth tourney.

Satnam, who dreams of playing in the NBA someday, even attended a camp in the United States where he showed some scouts his promising ability.

PH coach Olsen Racela was personally awed at the Chinese team during a chance encounter at the Olympic Hotel where both squads are billeted but they will have a chance to scout them along with the other teams.

"It's hard to scout the other U-16 teams because they rarely join tournaments kaya di pa namin talaga alam," said Racela. "But because of the schedule, maganda para sa amin because we will be able to scout the opponents."

The Nationals are bracketed in Group D alongside neighbors Indonesia and host Vietnam, a first timer in this event. No one will be eliminated from this group but winning now will play a big factor in their bid to enter the next round.

After the preliminary round, they will join the top three squads of Group C in the second round with their win-loss records to be carried over. The other pairing is comprised of Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Japan.

China heads Group A alongside India, Malaysia and Chinese Taipei while Group B is composed of South Korea, Lebanon, Uzbekistan and Iraq, which are reportedly tapping two cagers standing 6-foot-5.

The Filipinos, who practiced Sunday night at an outdoor court and late yesterday afternoon, debut tomorrow against Indonesia, a team they beat by 63 points in the SEABA U-16 tourney held last August in Banting City, Malaysia.

Nabasa ko din to kanina.

Sa U-16 team pa lang natin mukhang malabo na in terms of height and they are also bogged with the same problem as Gilas namely not all the best players are available to play for flag and country. Our top scorer and rebounder (din ata) when we placed 4th on the last tournament ay di din nirelease ng mother team nya (deja vu?) dahil may conflict sa schedule at on-going pa game sa juniors by then or something to that effect. May 6'1" na Fil-Australian sa team na eto kaso last minute na naman pumasok so may problem din to sa team chemistry other than the apparent lack of height as compared to the 7 foot players of China or India. Tsk tsk same old story and this time i guess we can't blame the coach for the absence of any program dahil local na yan and apparently this falls under SBP na dapat. Di na talaga oobra band-aid solution para dito and there is a need for a comprehensive and sustainable program for us to be a powerhouse in basketball sa Asia ulit.

Excerpts from The DEan's article today at Philstrar:

Reader Brian Gan recently sent in an e-mail saying in his life, he has written formally only four times – to the United Nations (unspecified topic), then-President Estrada (also unspecified topic), this column (commenting on the Centennial team led by coach Tim Cone in 1998) and once more, this column. Gan described himself as a 38-year-old businessman. Here are excerpts from his latest letter:

“It was my father’s birthday last Sept. 27 and as a family tradition, he always would make a wish. Year in and year out, his wish will always be to have better health. This year, he decided to think of country. A first from a man who stopped watching Philippine basketball since China crushed the Robert Jaworski team, 130-65, (at the Asian Games in 1990). My dad, who actually went to Beijing with his friends, felt embarrassed by the loss. They believed the Japanese head coach who boldly predicted the Philippines would win it all.

“So after 21 years, my father watched his first Philppine team game versus the NBA All-Stars and was very impressed with the system used by coach Rajko Toroman. Please bear in mind, MVP took a team of discards, not of superstars but players who wanted to play for country. He got a 6-10 guy who never made it to the NBA, used Taulava and three Talk ‘N’ Text players who practiced for the shortest possible time and gave us a chance to take third place (in FIBA-Asia). Do we need Rajko? We do. He is the second coming of Ron Jacobs who coached a team built around Mike Mustre and Art de la Cruz and made them finish third in the PBA. We need the PBA to lend players, train them for how long Toroman wants. Stop our crab mentality and make proper suggestions on how to be better. This is for our country.

“Jordan is the second best team in Asia. Toroman showed us we can beat this team. He actually did it in four instances. Japan is our long-time rival and Toroman is unbeaten against Japan. Did we actually think we can beat Iran? I didn’t until Toroman showed his boys and our country that we can. We beat them in the Jones Cup. Against China, we lost by 15 with a 10-man team on China’s home floor. Korea can easily defeat us by 15. Toroman and Smart Gilas led 85 percent of the way but it was not meant to be. Maybe it was good we didn’t win so we can come together as a nation and realize we just need a little more push and cooperation.

“Toroman is like Freddie Roach. Manny Pacquiao is a great boxer, he listens to his coach. Lassiter, Lutz, Casio, Tiu, Marcus, Japeth, Mac and the rest all know the value of Toroman. This guy is more Filipino than many of us, he wants his players to sing the national anthem. The PBA’s recent proposal to lend 16 players is flawed because the players can only play in one tournament, meaning FIBA-Asia. But we need to train them to play in other tournaments. Toroman wants to have three months to train his team. Look at Japeth, Lutz and Baracael, all fresh from Gilas, all leading their team in the PBA, an indication of how good Toroman is. I hope Toroman comes back. We need him.”

• Like (+1) 1

Excerpts from The DEan's article today at Philstrar:

Reader Brian Gan recently sent in an e-mail saying in his life, he has written formally only four times – to the United Nations (unspecified topic), then-President Estrada (also unspecified topic), this column (commenting on the Centennial team led by coach Tim Cone in 1998) and once more, this column. Gan described himself as a 38-year-old businessman. Here are excerpts from his latest letter:

"It was my father's birthday last Sept. 27 and as a family tradition, he always would make a wish. Year in and year out, his wish will always be to have better health. This year, he decided to think of country. A first from a man who stopped watching Philippine basketball since China crushed the Robert Jaworski team, 130-65, (at the Asian Games in 1990). My dad, who actually went to Beijing with his friends, felt embarrassed by the loss. They believed the Japanese head coach who boldly predicted the Philippines would win it all.

"So after 21 years, my father watched his first Philppine team game versus the NBA All-Stars and was very impressed with the system used by coach Rajko Toroman. Please bear in mind, MVP took a team of discards, not of superstars but players who wanted to play for country. He got a 6-10 guy who never made it to the NBA, used Taulava and three Talk 'N' Text players who practiced for the shortest possible time and gave us a chance to take third place (in FIBA-Asia). Do we need Rajko? We do. He is the second coming of Ron Jacobs who coached a team built around Mike Mustre and Art de la Cruz and made them finish third in the PBA. We need the PBA to lend players, train them for how long Toroman wants. Stop our crab mentality and make proper suggestions on how to be better. This is for our country.

"Jordan is the second best team in Asia. Toroman showed us we can beat this team. He actually did it in four instances. Japan is our long-time rival and Toroman is unbeaten against Japan. Did we actually think we can beat Iran? I didn't until Toroman showed his boys and our country that we can. We beat them in the Jones Cup. Against China, we lost by 15 with a 10-man team on China's home floor. Korea can easily defeat us by 15. Toroman and Smart Gilas led 85 percent of the way but it was not meant to be. Maybe it was good we didn't win so we can come together as a nation and realize we just need a little more push and cooperation.

"Toroman is like Freddie Roach. Manny Pacquiao is a great boxer, he listens to his coach. Lassiter, Lutz, Casio, Tiu, Marcus, Japeth, Mac and the rest all know the value of Toroman. This guy is more Filipino than many of us, he wants his players to sing the national anthem. The PBA's recent proposal to lend 16 players is flawed because the players can only play in one tournament, meaning FIBA-Asia. But we need to train them to play in other tournaments. Toroman wants to have three months to train his team. Look at Japeth, Lutz and Baracael, all fresh from Gilas, all leading their team in the PBA, an indication of how good Toroman is. I hope Toroman comes back. We need him."

I coudn't agree more.. amen to that cool.gif