Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Korea na naman!!

The ghost of the missed free throws by Olsen Racela came back to haunt us yesterday I just can't recall when is the last time that our Philippine team beat a South Korean team may be in the Asian Games, Jones Cup or any international tournament.

Wala na akong masabi, tormentor talaga natin ang Korea but still yo have to admire the way the Korean team played. Kulang pa din talaga sa experienced sa international competition ang mga players natin as compared to our Asian neighbors.

Well done, Gilas! Let's be happy for the decent 4th place finish. At least we improved from the last outing, and we're moving forward...

I believe they have given their best, napiga na nila ang lahat. IMHO, the team lacks 3 basic things, though:

1. Tall Mobile Centers

so sad we only had Marcus and there were times that Aguilar was not used when our ceiling force was helpless. Moreover, there should be at least 3 Marcuses in that team considering the ave. height of the opponents.

2. Accurate Shooting

pressures of the game are inevitable, but basic dictates that free throws and open shots should be at least 80% accurate. with the opponents' size, rebound/recovery after field goal misses are sure thing; as for missed free throws, need I say more, we've been haunted by these miscues in the past

3. Legitimate Snipers

the inputs of Ranidel and Jimmy were huge boosts. But they were not enough. Toroman practically relied on them. No one expected these 2 to be fiery each day. There could have been more 3pt snipers to the mold of Caidic, Engelland, or Renren who can deliver the clutch when needed. Recall they also had Almario and Reyes.

its still an achievement. in three years who wouldve thought that we will become the number 4th squad in asia?

evidently the program is there. kailangan na lang ng continuity.

and im mighty proud to say a ragtag team composed of old guys and young ones gave the best of asia one hell of fight and show the rest and the best in asia that the philippines is back on the asian basketball scene.

i hope they keep the program and mix with the old hands marcus douthit & chris tiu, it would be better too if aldrech ramos and greg salughter rejoins the team and see the likes of kiefer ravena, nico salva, rr garcia, terrence romeo, chris tolomia, jeric teng, chris camus, bobby ray parks, rome dela rosa, garvo lanete, ian sangalang, calvin abueva, jam cortez, carlo lastimosa and even jeron teng invited to try out for the squad.

hats off to mvp and the staff and the smart gilas team.

Good observation, hopefully ituloy nila ang program dahil kahit pumasok na sa PBA ang karamihan sa mga players ng SG ay madami pa namang mga up-and-coming players from the different colleges and universities both here in the metro and in the province.

Edited by thegame08

kaya tayo natatalo sa asian at fiba...alam mo nyo kung bakit?

dahil kay asi taulava...sya ang malas sa team...pekeng pinoy at may balat pa sa pwet...

sana mawala na ang hayop na yan....pls lang wag ka na sumali pa....

taga samar leyte kuno'..pareho sila nina rob parker,al segova, sonny alvarado, dorian pena....sino promotor? si congressman daza ng leyte...

it's sad to experience another hearthbreaking loss. pero ganun talaga. nde naman instant ang pagkapanalo at pagiging champion. hopefully, a loss would only inspire our players more to do better in the next competitions. i just hope na ipagpatuloy yung bball program natin na nasimulan. they are going in the right direction. keep it up guys! itigil na ang pulitika sa lahat ng sports. go team pilipinas!

dahil kay asi taulava...sya ang malas sa team...pekeng pinoy at may balat pa sa pwet...

taga samar leyte kuno'..pareho sila nina rob parker,al segova, sonny alvarado, dorian pena....sino promotor? si congressman daza ng leyte...

ang laki ata ng galit mo kay tatang asi brader! :lol:

the gilas program should continue. we saw the results of years of training by landing 4th in wuhan. i know the rest of asia has been watching the philippines of late. sinubukan pa tayong dayain when lassiter and lutz were not allowed to play in the first two games...then the switch in schedule from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. but with the proper program, right players (dedication included), exposure and funding, the philippines can reach greater heights. we can just hope and pray that bigwig sponsors like MVP and danding can set aside personal interests for the sake of flag and country.

• Like (+1) 1

The loss was a heartbreaker.. sa free throw na naman tayo nadale mad.gif

Pero hat's off pa din ako sa effort nila from the players coming from the amateurs (Jayvee Casio, Mac Baracael, Cris Tiu, Marc Barroca), Fil-ams (Marcio Lassiter and Cris Lutz), to our naturalized player (MarcusDouthit), our foreign coach (Toroman), to MVP (for the support and funding the team), players from TnT (Jimmy Alapag, Kelly Williams and Ranidel De Ocampo) and to Asi Taulava (senior statesman of the team) for giving it their all. Maski sa top 4 nung 1986 pa ata tayo huling nakapasok and yes its been that long. Now, we've regained the respect from other nations. Heck, we've just proved that teams like Korea, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan and China who have been together longer than Gilas are beatable. The program needs to continue and it needs to be supported. cool.gif

MVP not giving up on Olympic basketball dream

By June Navarro

Philippine Daily Inquirer 9:39 pm | Monday, September 26th, 2011 159 share196 37

http://sports.inquirer.net/files/2011/09/talo27.jpgFibasia.net

BEIJING—One failed mission hasn’t diminished the passion of basketball’s Most Valuable Patron in wanting to see the national team play in the Olympics someday.

In fact, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny V. Pangilinan takes inspiration from Smart Gilas Pilipinas’ best finish in over two decades in the Asian championship.

The national squad of head coach Rajko Toroman failed to secure a slot in the 2012 London Olympics, finishing fourth in the recent 26th Fiba Asia Championship after losing the bronze medal tiff to South Korea on Sunday in Wuhan, China.

“It’s a big improvement in recent years,” said Pangilinan, popularly known as MVP. “We found out that the program is working. We’re now fourth in Asia.”

By reaching the semifinals, the Philippines boosted its Fiba world ranking and drew the respect of its rivals, including London-bound and new Asian champion China.

China coach Bob Donewald said in an interview, after demolishing Lebanon in the quarterfinals, that he would rather have Jordan as opponent in the finals than take his chances with the Philippines.

The Chinese went on to capture the gold, but not after pulling off a hair-raising 70-69 escape act against the Jordanians.

The telecommunications and utilities magnate said Smart Gilas had been blessed with the luck of the draw at the start.

“In a way, God favored us because we got into a good group. We also got lucky when Marcio (Lassiter) and Chris (Lutz) were allowed to play and we won all our games in the second round,” said Pangilinan.

The Nationals, a bunch of talented amateurs boosted by a naturalized center in Marcus Douthit and four seasoned players from the PBA, won handily against Chinese Taipei in the quarterfinals but hit a roadblock in Jordan in the semifinals.

The big boss at PLDT-Smart, Meralco and Maynilad said there are some weak spots in Smart Gilas that should be addressed when the SBP continues the program geared toward the 2013 Asian championship.

“I’m not a coach or a player but there are certain weaknesses that I saw in this tournament that we have to seriously look into,” said Pangilinan. “If you ask me, there should be changes with the players. It’s not a criticism on the players that we have now. They tried their best and I should thank them, especially those on the program for three years and those from the PBA who made the sacrifice.”

Team captain Chris Tiu, JV Casio, Mark Barroca, Mac Baracael, Japeth Aguilar, Dylan Ababou and Jason Ballesteros have been with Smart Gilas since the Olympic drive began late 2008.

“I think our point guards are small,” said Pangilinan. “Not to say that our point guards are not good, but I believe that we need bigger point guards.”

Jordan has the 6-foot-5 Osama Daghles while 6-3 Liu Wei and 6-7 Sun Yue, a former Los Angeles Laker, run the backcourt for China.

Pangilinan said the SBP would rebuild the team around Douthit and add a couple of big guys in 7-footer Greg Slaughter and 6-9 Junmar Fajardo from Cebu.

Another area up for review is the coaching staff headed by Toroman, whose contract ends this weekend.

“We have to look at what’s good for the team in preparation for 2013,” said the tycoon. “No matter what people say, I’m still determined to support the program and see one day the Philippines in the Olympics, however long it takes, be it in 2016, 2020 or even beyond.”

The Philippines last vied in the Olympics in Munich 1972 with a team bannered by Robert Jaworski and William Adornado.

what now for coach toroman?

“Toroman is doing a great job, so I don’t think replacing him would be a good idea,” said Cone, whose Centennial Team is the last Philippine basketball team to medal in a high-level regional competition after finishing third in the 1998 Asian Games.

“We should give Toroman another chance,” Uichico said. “His style is tailor-made for the international competition.”

“Sayang naman kung mababago yung programa. Ginastusan na rin nila eh,” said the PBA’s legendary Triggerman. “If you get a new coach, it will be a new system, so dapat si Rajko na rin.”

One of the significant things coach Rajko brought to the program is discipline,” said Abanilla, who now assists Ato Agustin on the Petron bench. “You don’t see the players doing it on their own, but they’ve embraced the coach’s system and a coach would be happy to see that win or lose.”

Guiao, meanwhile, isn’t as impressed by his former deputy.

“Malaki ang advantage ni Rajko because he has rich experience in international basketball,” he said. “But he didn’t bring anything new because we’ve already seen before the things he had been doing for the SMART-Gilas team.

“So, who’s the right coach to handle the national team in the next two years? It could be anybody. It could be Toroman or it could be another coach.”

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/pba-coaches-toroman-should-stay-guiao-anyone-could-coach

the gilas program should continue. we saw the results of years of training by landing 4th in wuhan. i know the rest of asia has been watching the philippines of late. sinubukan pa tayong dayain when lassiter and lutz were not allowed to play in the first two games...then the switch in schedule from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. but with the proper program, right players (dedication included), exposure and funding, the philippines can reach greater heights. we can just hope and pray that bigwig sponsors like MVP and danding can set aside personal interests for the sake of flag and country.

I totally agree! We should have a separate National team hindi yung they will only build when there's tournament. A Permanent National Team is the answer. ;)

true enough pangilinan is not a coach. bad assesment.i think its our point guards (casio and alapag) and their speed along with douthit who carried us through. daghles height never became an advantage as a point guard for jordan. sun yue is, but its not because of his height but because he is really talented. alapag made us look like a cohesive team kahit last minute naform yung final line-up of our team. sounds like a broken record but reliable shooters are what we need. and a reliable reliever for douthit. possibly thoss or slaughter. i don't really understand why taulava is there. throughout the tournament he looked like fumbling giant. or a comic relief to douthit. we also need the likes of baguio or tubid (although i hope we can find somebody taller) in the number 2 position. genuine slashers. although i observed tiu despite his size did well. especially defensively he is really a surprise. I've never seen him as physical and as magulang than in this league. in the power forward position i think ranidel deocampo did well. though he didn't became an outside threat in the league, but i really think he is capably our shooter supposedly at the same time he has inside game. we need tall power forwards in the real sense of the word. POWER forward. i didn't really understand yung pag babad ke williams. i don't really know why, he is strong, fast, high leaper, but very unreliable. how many times have you seen him bungle a lay-up? and miss free throws. we also need reliable medium range players who are tall, like an art dela cruz. and lastly, the bias on fil-ams. i really believe baracael is a better player than lassiter. he just lost his confidence because he became a rarely used reliever to lassiter. lutz? i can't really see what he brings to the team. muscle and defense maybe, but leaves much to be desired.

and the coach? i agree with yeng guiao. toroman didn't bring anything new to the team. he's just well supported. far far far cry from ron jacobs who clearly has an evident contribution to the national team. bakit nag ba nobody is making a serious offer to jaworski to coach the national team? everybody questioned his selection then for the national team. particularly the inclusion of chit loyzaga and dante gonzalgo but come playtime we clearly see that he had a plan for the team. despite only 2 weeks preparation he got silver.

MVP not giving up on Olympic basketball dream

By June Navarro

Philippine Daily Inquirer 9:39 pm | Monday, September 26th, 2011 159 share196 37

http://sports.inquirer.net/files/2011/09/talo27.jpgFibasia.net

“I’m not a coach or a player but there are certain weaknesses that I saw in this tournament that we have to seriously look into,” said Pangilinan. “If you ask me, there should be changes with the players. It’s not a criticism on the players that we have now. They tried their best and I should thank them, especially those on the program for three years and those from the PBA who made the sacrifice.”

Team captain Chris Tiu, JV Casio, Mark Barroca, Mac Baracael, Japeth Aguilar, Dylan Ababou and Jason Ballesteros have been with Smart Gilas since the Olympic drive began late 2008.

“I think our point guards are small,” said Pangilinan. “Not to say that our point guards are not good, but I believe that we need bigger point guards.”

Jordan has the 6-foot-5 Osama Daghles while 6-3 Liu Wei and 6-7 Sun Yue, a former Los Angeles Laker, run the backcourt for China.

I totally agree! We should have a separate National team hindi yung they will only build when there's tournament. A Permanent National Team is the answer. ;)

Bata pa ako dekada 70s ganito na ang ugali ng officials sa basketball natin. Kapag malapit na ang sasalinan tournament dun pa lang bubuo. Kudos to Manny Pangilinan, he tries to change this kind of system.

Edited by photographer

You know why it hurts so much? Coz we know kaya natin manalo. Kinapos lang talaga tayo sa talents particularly on the shooters. 8 amateur players were on the team and yet we made it to the final 4. If we sent the best players we have and have them prepared 3 years ago, I believe we could've been the Champion right now.

As early as now, we should prepare for the FIBA Asia Cup 2013.

You know why it hurts so much? Coz we know kaya natin manalo. Kinapos lang talaga tayo sa talents particularly on the shooters. 8 amateur players were on the team and yet we made it to the final 4. If we sent the best players we have and have them prepared 3 years ago, I believe we could've been the Champion right now.

As early as now, we should prepare for the FIBA Asia Cup 2013.

There's this problem with the "best players" mas lalo nasa PBA. Nag iingat na ang "best player" at baka mapilayan siya, tapos na ang career and multi million contract with his mother team. Playing basketball here in the country means playing for personal money. Wala na yung nationalism, nationalism. But I am not saying lahat sila. With the likes of Taulava, Williams, Alapag, iba ang breed ng mga ito. And that also goes to the rest of the Gilas team. Dont know kung ganyan pa attitude nuong iba in case makatikim na ng millions sa kani kanilang PBA teams.

A Separate and permanent national Team! Country first before personal gain or company profit or financial considerations!

I agree but i think this is easier said than done because of the allure of the PBA. Though, i believe that if bigtime sponsors like MVP will continue to bankroll the expenses of gilas like salaries, training and exposure in international competitions, meron pa naman sigurong mga players dedicated to play for flag and country.

Peke man o walang talagang lahing Pinot you got to cut him some slack man, as whenever the national team would call Asi is there to heed the call..

Bata pa ako dekada 70s ganito na ang ugali ng officials sa basketball natin. Kapag malapit na ang sasalinan tournament dun pa lang bubuo. Kudos to Manny Pangilinan, he tries to change this kind of system.

Madami pang kaartehan dati noong PBA players na ang ipinapadala, I remember noong 2002 dalawang national teams pa ang binuo ng PBA then from there doon sila pumili ng isasama sa final line-up, come on!

we should continue the program. retain toroman. we're getting there

Agree.

Edited by thegame08

Parang nakakahinayang yung 3 years of preparation and financial investment, tapos kakapusin when in fact the goal was to get the Olympic slot. Maybe it's a tall order, pero sana nakapasok kahit man lang sa finals. Kaya naman eh, pero parang may kulang pa rin.

Amazingly, MVP doesn't seem to be giving up, para ngang na-challenge. He said the Olympic dream is still alive, in the meantime focus muna sa 2013 FIBA Championship. Sana hindi lang ito press release. Pero I think MVP is dead serious. It happened to Ateneo before, a winning team with talented players but falling short of becoming a champion (except in '02) until after 8 years of patience, hard work and believing.

Toroman is a good coach, but in a few years he'd be already too old with archaic coaching style. I think he was outcoached by Jordan's American coach who effectively used zone and triple-teamed Douthit on the defense, and had well-positioned shooters on the offense. Toroman couldn't solve Jordan's defense. So moving forward, Toroman has to be eventually replaced. But let's see first how the team performs for the qualfying slot in the 2013 FIBA Championship. Para siyang si Joe Lipa, a brilliant coach (4-time national coach who gave UP its only championship and started the winning run of Ateneo in 1999) who eventually went out of style and became irrelevant.

Edited by blow_gobi
  • Like (+1) 1

nice points of view from basketball afficionados here.

this is rejoinder from the previous post i made.

now that there is a confirmation of support from MVP. id like to see coach rajko back on the bench and please give the dude a free hand on our team. because:

1. his system works. a nightmare of a match up for other coaches.

2. the players respect him. feisty. upfront. but gets the job done.

3. hes internationally well known and respected in the international basketball scene. that alone adds respect to our team.

4. we have learned from this man precious insights on how the fiba system works. on how a team should be run on a national scale.

just anothr of my two cents fellas.