Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

hey, wiz. if we weren't talking about basketball, i'd agree with you. but it is basketball that we are talking about and win or lose, we just have to compete. basketball isn't just a sport here, its a passion for some, and a way of life for others. not a lot can say the same thing towards other sports.

besides, i think all the other sports that we have a decent crack at international success (like bowling, billiards and boxing) are already covered. the others are just like basketball, pipe dream to win.

agree kanski. basketball isn't just a sport here. that's why we have this discussion. basketball is a passion for some and way of life for others, pastime etc.

if bowling, billiards, boxing are already covered but some say they are not considered Olympic sports, then we rechannel our resources in other sports like swimming, track and field, tennis etc.

Filipinos are very talented not only in sports but in arts, music etc.

But since we're talking basketball here. Ok, we follow the formula that works - NCC formula. but as hastati even mentioned, the closest we got was during the 1990s when the team was coached by Jawo. so pwede naman pala local sheer talent e. remember, those were formed in a limited time. imagine if they were formed much earlier. but these are all professional players right so me conflict na naman sa mga team owners.

so i guess status quo na nga lang. this is the best we can do for now - this SG team is it.

But since we're talking basketball here. Ok, we follow the formula that works - NCC formula. but as hastati even mentioned, the closest we got was during the 1990s when the team was coached by Jawo. so pwede naman pala local sheer talent e. remember, those were formed in a limited time. imagine if they were formed much earlier. but these are all professional players right so me conflict na naman sa mga team owners.

so i guess status quo na nga lang. this is the best we can do for now - this SG team is it.

Still we have to consider the talent then against now - both here and around Asia. That 1990 team was undoubtedly the strongest we can field at that time - our own Dream Team, so to speak. So kahit puro Pinoy malakas talaga. And in terms of the competition, wala pang binatbat ang mga Mideast countries. The traditional powerhouses then were China, Korea, Japan and us. So coming in, we were already among the favorites.

Somehow the success of this team also backfired on us. As our basketball powers thought that just like this '90 team, we can get away with only weeks of preparation, minimal scouting, and little or no international exposure - and still reach the medal rounds. :mellow:

As to this Gilas team, it's really the 2011 FIBA Asia that should be the goal because that is the Olympic qualifier.

ang nakikita ko lang problema sa SG team, paiba iba sila ng lineup/roster since they were formed last year or couple of years ago. how then can you expect them to gel as a team come 2011 FIBA Asia if they keep changing lineups? because of unavailability, problems with passports, injuries etc. So aside from center position, they might have problems with team chemistry.

Guest hastati

Accusations have to be proven my friend ... hintayin mo na lang akong bumalimbing sa LA bago mo masabing bandwagoner ako. For the meantime since ginawa mo na ang pag amin na napabilib ka ng Gilas nang talunin nila ang Powerade, mukhang ikaw ang lumalabas na Gilas Bandwagoner-I merely gave my nod to SG after proving themselves against Powerade. It's not as if they won an Asian championship. You only started posting in the Lakers thread when the Lakers became champions. I don't recall seeing your posts in the Lakers or Celtics thread in 2008. That is enough proof of bandwagoning. :lol:

"did i mention CHINA?" ... obviously this is the end all be all of your reasoning. The BEST you can answer to all of these? Thanks my friend for answering in cycles irregardless of questions thrown to you.-Haha! You have the gall to tell me to answer your questions when you can't even answer mine. Checkmate? This checkmate applies to you as always. :lol: You can't even answer why you included China when you quoted me when all I was talking about was Toroman. As I said, it's difficult to argue with someone when he quotes something totally unconnected to the topic.

Edited by hastati
Guest hastati

We only finished second to China in 1990 and that was our best finish after the 1985 FIBA so in terms of winning it all, we can't just depend on sheer local talent. We have to face reality and accept that we can't win on sheer local talent alone.

ang nakikita ko lang problema sa SG team, paiba iba sila ng lineup/roster since they were formed last year or couple of years ago. how then can you expect them to gel as a team come 2011 FIBA Asia if they keep changing lineups? because of unavailability, problems with passports, injuries etc. So aside from center position, they might have problems with team chemistry.

The last time I checked there are issues why they dropped CJ Giles (attitude problem, bad influence), Jamaal Sampson (air head, refuses to play due to imaginary injuries), Milan Vucicevic (unqualified with regards to Asian Games Level for the center position), Asi Taulava (temporay reinforcement only), others (Rabeh, Jazul and Guevarra voluntarily left the SG pool to join the draft). There are still no permanent line-up for the SG as of the meantime its still being considered as the national pool that's why they are still mixing and matching the line-up to find the best fit , and for the team chemistry it's better to let go of some people who wants to go rather than force them to stay as forcing them to stay with SG will do more harm than good. This is the same pool when they are started the only official additions were Lassiter and Lutz which were accepted warmly.

As for the 4th change of "Reinforcement" the word is the reason why there are changes, they want to get the best available reinforcement for the team so they have to do an experiment for that.

Why would you want a reinforcement that would become the liability?

These documentations are just the natural obstacles that are unavoidable, injuries are natural risks of the game. A disciplined team which is led by a good and respected coach can gel in a rapid pace. They have take on these challenges no matter what. SABI KO NGA KUNG GUSTO MO KUMAIN NG BALOT MAG-HIRAP KA MUNANG BASAGIN ANG SHELL NITO AT BALATAN BAGO MO MATIKAMN ANG SARAP. WALANG INSTANT SA MUNDO MEN...

agree kanski. basketball isn't just a sport here. that's why we have this discussion. basketball is a passion for some and way of life for others, pastime etc.

if bowling, billiards, boxing are already covered but some say they are not considered Olympic sports, then we rechannel our resources in other sports like swimming, track and field, tennis etc.

Filipinos are very talented not only in sports but in arts, music etc.

i wanted to point this out but was held back thinking some, if not you, might take it the wrong way. namimilosopo in other words. but this fact augurs the relationship that pinoys have with basketball- that it is the most talked about sport is due to it being the most loved. and this fact will always warrant the resources we put in it despite the seeming mediocre results we have been getting in return.

likewise, these same resources are better served funneled to basketball because the other sports like swimming, tennis, and track and field, haven't shown much promise either. i know that with more funds, more talents can be identified and developed in other sports. but more funds siphoned to other sports will not take away the fact that it is basketball that we will always enjoy playing and watching. which brings us again to my earlier assertion, the one about warranting resources.

talking about smart-gilas in particular, i bought their line selling this team as our national team because i like the concept of forming a team that is independent of the pro league, save for some improvements here or there. i didn't mind the team having one naturalized player because the way i see it, one non-filipino doesn't make it a team that's unfilipino. besides, it is legal and many of our foe countries are doing the same thing,

when they asked asi to reinforce them in douthit's absence, again the move was alright because, to me, one pro didn't change the character of the team much. however, new plans to make asi a permanent member along with 4 more pros (williams was on-board months before) doesn't sit well with me because, when they are added, the whole character of the team will change and the original concept of having an team mainly independent from the pba will have been lost. hope this doesn't happen.

We only finished second to China in 1990 and that was our best finish after the 1985 FIBA so in terms of winning it all, we can't just depend on sheer local talent. We have to face reality and accept that we can't win on sheer local talent alone.

Tutal nabanggit mo na rin lang ang Iran used to be our whipping boys and they are now Asian champs with the help of coach Rajo. Ang tanong, gumamit ba ng naturalized talent ang Iran or merely pure talent alone??? Ang China ganun din.

Now just because we're now the whipping boys of these teams suddenly ur saying "we can't win on sheer local talent". What a bandwagoner u are bakit nun tinatalo natin yan proud na proud ka kahit wala naman naturalized players nun except nun NCC days.

Di mo ba napansin post ko before sa LA thread? That's ur problem...so now hindi ka lang pala Gilas Banwagoner, noted SPECULATOR ka rin pala. Do I have to say more, inamin mo na rin that you gave your nod to Gilas when they after their game against again Powerade. During that game tinalo ng Gilas ang bata mong Powerade, kaya from thereon GILAS Boy ka na. That act fits to a "T" the definition of a BANDWAGONER!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

Tutal nabanggit mo na rin lang ang Iran used to be our whipping boys and they are now Asian champs with the help of coach Rajo. Ang tanong, gumamit ba ng naturalized talent ang Iran or merely pure talent alone??? Ang China ganun din.-Haha! This time you've lost it. Pati yung naturalized talent sa China at sa Iran sinisingit na although I was talking only about Iran qualifying for the Olympics. :lol:

Now just because we're now the whipping boys of these teams suddenly ur saying "we can't win on sheer local talent". What a bandwagoner u are bakit nun tinatalo natin yan proud na proud ka kahit wala naman naturalized players nun except nun NCC days.-Why? Do you actually think we can win on sheer local talent Laker bandwagoner? Haha! I was being real unlike you who refuses to accept that we can't win on sheer local talent. Teka nga. You're saying that I'm a bandwagoner coz I'm proud that we beat those teams without naturalized players. So, you're saying that stating facts is tantamount to bandwagoning. Palabo ka na ng palabo. I was just stating facts and now you're sying I'm bandwagoning. Barado ka parati kasi hindi mo masagot mga tanong ko. Oops, why do I even care to ask since this you don't even know how to answer simple questions. Pabago-bago ka pa ng nick, iisa lang naman yung gumagamit. :lol:

Di mo ba napansin post ko before sa LA thread? That's ur problem...so now hindi ka lang pala Gilas Banwagoner, noted SPECULATOR ka rin pala. Do I have to say more, inamin mo na rin that you gave your nod to Gilas when they after their game against again Powerade. During that game tinalo ng Gilas ang bata mong Powerade, kaya from thereon GILAS Boy ka na. That act fits to a "T" the definition of a BANDWAGONER!!!-Palusot ka pa na nagpost ka sa Laker thread, wala naman. Tama na ang pagsisinungling. Pero I understand since Liar is one of your nicks. It fits you perfectly .Some people can't help but project themselves. Sinabi ko lang na Laker bandwagoner ka na totoo naman, sinasabihan mo kong SG bandwagoner? Haha! Dapat ginamit mo yung isa mong nick liar. Why don't you also admit that you're a Celtic fan which is why you're using your currrent nick. By the way, I can't help but laugh at your off-tangent posts. You really made my day. I had a good laugh. :lol:

Edited by hastati

To say we could not win without a naturalized player or relying on sheer local talent is a Big Fat LIE ... history will show you that we've done that before. That is a FACT!!!

At present, our Asian neighbors may have catch up and even overtaken us talent-wise as well as in the technicalities of the game. But that shows only 2 things, these teams used to be where we are right now and if they were able to do it, the probability is that SO COULD WE, again. It will not be an overnight thing and I did not say it will happen soon. This is why I disagree on a to[ 3 finish this Asiad as it is too soon and you're blindingly optimistic. As I have said, at this point its been ages since we've beat Iran and China, the top 2 Asian powerhouse. During pocket tournaments, we could not even beat Lebanon at this point. We still have tough times and could not consistently win against other Asian team. Now with the Asiad just 2-3 months away, good luck for your OPTIMISM.

One thing is clear at this point the person who said we can't win on sheer talent alone ... that same person also said that Gilas and not Powerade should continue representing RP Basketball. Pero just because of a single win, Biglang nagbago ang ihip ng Hangin. What a "B" ... if you want to acknowledge being a bandwagoner, a balimbing perhaps. As for your accusations, yack on ... show hard proof of what ur trying to accuse me of. Puros opinions mo lang yan ... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest hastati

To say we could not win without a naturalized player or relying on sheer local talent is a Big Fat LIE ... history will show you that we've done that before. That is a FACT!!!-Once obtuse, always obtuse. Understand my post. I didn't say we never won on sheer local talent. I was obviously alluding to the present. :lol: I can't help but laugh at your posts. Hindi na sana ako magrereact but I guess you deserve a reaction for making me laugh and making my stomach hurt. :lol:

At present, our Asian neighbors may have catch up and even overtaken us talent-wise as well as in the technicalities of the game. But that shows only 2 things, these teams used to be where we are right now and if they were able to do it, the probability is that SO COULD WE, again. It will not be an overnight thing and I did not say it will happen soon. This is why I disagree on a to[ 3 finish this Asiad as it is too soon and you're blindingly optimistic. As I have said, at this point its been ages since we've beat Iran and China, the top 2 Asian powerhouse. During pocket tournaments, we could not even beat Lebanon at this point. We still have tough times and could not consistently win against other Asian team. Now with the Asiad just 2-3 months away, good luck for your OPTIMISM.-I'm really enlightened by your erudite basketball analysis. :lol: Post something we don't know coz this analysis is pretty much redundant. :lol: I guess you don't have enough belief for this SG team to disagree on a top 3 finish. But hey, different folks, different strokes peithe/celts/liar. You can shout to high heavens that you don't think that SG would have a top 3 finish. :lol: I hold on to my belief of a top 3 finish.

One thing is clear at this point the person who said we can't win on sheer talent alone ... that same person also said that Gilas and not Powerade should continue representing RP Basketball. Pero just because of a single win, Biglang nagbago ang ihip ng Hangin. What a "B" ... if you want to acknowledge being a bandwagoner, a balimbing perhaps. As for your accusations, yack on ... show hard proof of what ur trying to accuse me of. Puros opinions mo lang yan ... -Haha! Your nick fits you perfectly. Again, did I ever mention that we never won on sheer local talent alone? You know what I'm talking about Laker bandwagoner. Or perhaps you were using another nick and was actually commending the Celtics to high heavens when the Celtics became champions in 2008. :lol:

Edited by hastati

Some people just reacts wihout really understanding ...

I merely stated that we've previously won on sheer local talents. having said that what makes it impossible to win again in the future? If said person is really a true-blooded Gilas supporter, he would have know that this is a long term project for Philippine Basketball and not just a quick fix solution. I wonder why somebody would insist on PRESENT!!! :D :D :D

No wonder, an avid Powerade supported becomes a turncoat Gilas supporter / bandwagoner!!!

Edited by Liar
Guest hastati

Some people just reacts wihout really understanding ...-Some people can't help but project themselves. The subject was Toroman and that person suddenly inserts China in the conversation. In the vernacular, bomalabs pare!. :lol:

I merely stated that we've previously won on sheer local talents. having said that what makes it impossible to win again in the future? If said person is really a true-blooded Gilas supporter, he would have know that this is a long term project for Philippine Basketball and not just a quick fix solution. I wonder why somebody would insist on PRESENT!!!-Yup, but you said that we can't win on sheer local talent in the present is a big fat lie. I said I was alluding to the present. But then again, what can I expect? You don't know what you're talking or posting about. Your hand is faster than your brain. :lol:

No wonder, an avid Powerade supported becomes a turncoat Gilas supporter / bandwagoner!!!-Haha! You sound like a broken record. So going by your logic, my commendation of the Gilas team makes me a bandwagoner. Ikaw lang naman ang nagsasabi na bandwagoner ako. Pero expected ko na yan kasi ang nagsasabi sa akin ay isang poster na sinungaling ang nick. Hahahaha!

Did SG win a major tournament to make you say that I'm a bandwagoner?:lol:

Edited by hastati
Guest hastati

Dapat ang kalabanin ng Smart Gilas eto mga teams na ito Spain, croatia, germany, france para mahasa.

No argument here. But I don't think these countries would wanna waste their time going up against inferior competition like the Philippines. Of course, they would wanna go up against elite teams even in practice games. May sinungaling naman dyan na magrereact dito. :lol:

Just show we that I said "we can't win on sheer local talent at PRESENT is a lie" ... WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS PUT WORDS INTO MY MOUTH. Never did I ever mentioned the word "PRESENT" in my statements. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, even in your argument now, ano ang kinalaman ni Toroman on this? The China - Toroman - Iran issue is totally different from this. Why can't you get over and move on? Gigil ka ba?

Gilas did win over Powerade which was the team you choose/prefer initially. A bandwagoner is one who leaves his preference for another when his choice lost. Who says the new preferred team needs to win a major tournament for the person be considered a bandwagoner. I hope this ends this argument on you being one. :P

Edited by Liar
Guest hastati

Just show we that I said "we can't win on sheer local talent at PRESENT is a lie" ... WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS PUT WORDS INTO MY MOUTH. Never did I ever mentioned the word "PRESENT" in my statements.-Tama na palusot. Now you know what I'm saying. I said that we can't win on sheer local talent. You then posted that not winning on sheer local talent is a lie. I was obviously alluding to the present. Something which you didn't quite get. Well, you always don't understand what I say. :lol:

Look, even in your argument now, ano ang kinalaman ni Toroman on this? The China - Toroman - Iran issue is totally different from this. Why can't you get over and move on? Gigil ka ba?-Haha! Ako pa yung gigil. Ikaw yung quote ng quote sa mga posts ko tapos ako yung gigil. Another lie of yours huh Liar? Haha! :lol:

Gilas did win over Powerade which was the team you choose/prefer initially. A bandwagoner is one who leaves his preference for another when his choice lost. Who says the new preferred team needs to win a major tournament for the person be considered a bandwagoner. I hope this ends this argument on you being one. -Say what? A bandwagoner is one who leaves his preference for another when his choice lost? Haha! Kasinungalingan na naman. My commendation of SG when they beat Powerade is not bandwagoning. Did SG even win a major Asian tourney? Hindi mo nga masagot tapos magsasabi ka ng bandwagoning. Haha! But hey, the truth will set you free. Hindi si Paul Pierce ha kasi baka akalain mo si Paul Pierce. :lol: If you can't take the heat, don't quote and challenge someone's posts. Hindi Miami Heat ha. :lol:

Edited by hastati

No argument here. But I don't think these countries would wanna waste their time going up against inferior competition like the Philippines. Of course, they would wanna go up against elite teams even in practice games. May sinungaling naman dyan na magrereact dito. :lol:

Para magkaroon lang ng exposure ang smart gilas against the top teams in the world. Ang problema kasi sa basketball program natin ang mga kinakalaban ng national team natin mga pulpol na teams kaya ganoon din ang dating nila sa internation competition. And besides exhibition and practice games lang naman ito siguro wala namang masama kung makikipaglaro sila sa mga top teams sa Europe at Latin America.

Guest hastati

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a case of being tongue-tied. But then again, it is a chronic case of being tongue-tied. :lol:

@VegasBoy32

As I said, this would sit well with me since, if this happens, SG would improve their level of play since they will play against the creme-dela-creme of world basketball. The question is: would Argentina, Spain, Greece, et al wanna have a tune-up game against SG?

Edited by hastati
Guest hastati

nope, another case of not further wanting to waste my time on an IRRATIONAL BEING-Haha! Another contradictory post from someone who always quotes my posts no matter how mundane they are. If I was irrational, why would you even bother to quote every post of mine? :lol:

Kita mo naman post mo .. palayo na ng palayo sa usapang Gilas. Pati si Pierce at Heat pinapasok mo na-I was being sarcastic. Pati yun hindi pa nakuha. Haha! :lol:

Edited by hastati

This is a case of being tongue-tied. But then again, it is a chronic case of being tongue-tied. :lol:

@VegasBoy32

As I said, this would sit well with me since, if this happens, SG would improve their level of play since they will play against the creme-dela-creme of world basketball. The question is: would Argentina, Spain, Greece, et al wanna have a tune-up game against SG?

Trabaho na ng SBP yan. Bakit hindi nila ipadala ang Smart Gilas sa mga bansa na yan or invite nila ung mga teams na ito. Para makalaban ng Smart-Gilas. Malamang papayag naman yang mga teams na yan tutal exhibition or friendly game lang naman ang mangyayari. Katulad ng ginagawa ng team usa ngayon. Besides wala naman mawawala sa mga teams na ito since exhibition game lang naman ito. Ang habol lang ng Smart Gilas exposure. Ganyan din ang ginagawa ng ibang asian countries. Yan ang dahilan kung bakit napaglalamangan na tayo ng ibang asian countries tulad ng Jordan at Iran.

Ano bang problema mo sa suggestion ko. May mawawala ba sa yo? Una exhibition game or practice game lang ito. Hindi ito championship game.

Edited by Vegasboy32