Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

If Kelly, Jimmy, and Ranidel jell with the Smart Gilas regulars instantly, we'll have a better chance of doin good in Wuhan joust.

One thing is obvious, a good system like that being adopted by Coach Rajko is inevitable in amateur basketball, kahit na ang players have skills and athleticism...On the brighter side, we're on the right track kahit na sabihing baby steps lang basta way forward...

The Chinese team, no doubt, will be the most feared team...

The Chinese are the most talented team at FIBA-Asia Championships and they have improved leaps and bounds after Bob Donewald took over coaching duties in 2010. With Washington Wizard 7'0" Yi Jianlian, former NBA players 7'1 Wang ZhiZhi and 6'9" Sue Yue, 7'3" Zhang Zhaoxu of UC Berkeley Bears, 7'1" Tang Zhengdong and veteran point guard, 6'3" Liu Wei, who was almost made it to the NBA; and then it will be played in Wuhan, China. Tough job indeed for the rest (incl. Smart Gilas) of the competitors.

i heard most of the gilas players put their name in the draft to come.

also regarding china, yes they are at a higher level than us. but if they are truly strong they should be really winning in the international competitions and not just in asia.

the strenght of china is in their bigs, no matter what we do. true they have good sf and sg especially sun yue and i forgot if its huang or zhao wherein his a deadly shooter.

the only problem china has it is point guard. liu wei is never a top tier guard. once harass he losses concentration to the point of losing the ball in the instant he dribbles it hitting either his foot or legs.

they are tough yes but they surely have weakspots but comparing it to gilas, what is douhit, asi to the likes of wang zhi zhi , yi jian lian. if the bench of memphis griz we cant handle how about a player who does play seldomly haha

Ang magiging problema rito sa ating mga players eh ang stability ng Gilas program. Eto ang magiging hindrance nila sa commitment sa National Team since mukhang hindi pa ata ito permanent unlike ang PBA which has been going on for the last 36 years. Kung talagang gusto nating bumalik sa either Olympics or FIBA-World Championships, kailangan rin maging committed ang SBP sa kanilang support sa GIlas program para maging committed rin ang magagaling na players rito. Also, kailangan rin tumulong nb PBA by loaning its players from time to time to form a Gilas team that would give China and Iran a run for its money. Given na kasi na forming skillful and athletic players is not a guarantee to a better performance, kelangan talaga ang isang 'program'. Even Malaysia is hell bent on improving (kasehodang baby steps ang tahakin) by adopting a basketball program. The Japanese sent a 'program' team in the recent Jones Cup, and am sure they benefitted very well.

parang may humaharang sa gilas players na pba hopefuls mag back out sa draft...

last time i heard sabi ni pba commissioner salud, ok lang sa kanila na mag back out ung mga gilas players na balak pa magtuloy sa smart gilas training...

ngayon naman, kung mag back out ka... after 2 years tsaka ka palang papayagan magpa draft sa pba???

http://sports.inquirer.net/12151/draft-snobs-face-lifetime-pba-ban

if i were to be in their shoes, i would rather play for flag and country.

unlike before playing for the country doesnt warrant anything or pay so its a good thing now, the pba is a dying league. i mean who watches it anymore compare before and look at how long a player gets to play in a league of only what 7-8 teams who couldnt even get their attendance up.

even the airing of the games seems to be encountering problems of which channel because the tv stations doesnt see it as profitable anymore warranting a long air time.

doesnt playing international ball gets your game to a different level? your competing with teams, players who not just compete in asia but also the rest of the world. i would preserve that to myself and play in the pba after to the point gilas doesnt want you anymore, if you got ball which im sure youll have after he gilas experience still you could get a team even if your old compare to the young rookies.

pba . . . hanggang luzon na lang nga, hindi pa pinapanood sa mga bahay sa province ng karamihan,

Edited by launchpad

best for them to turn pro...... nakathird tayo.... inspite of that im not expecting us to fare better than third place come the asian qualifying for the olympics.... even if you add kelly williams, ranidel, alapag, slaughter, they still cannot match up to the bigs of other countries.... rmember wala p s jones cup yong china, WHICH INSPITE OF YAO'S RETIREMENT, wont affect the team that much.... then there is lebanon and the arab countries that didn"t participate.... last asian games naka 7th place tayo.... JAPAN merely send a token team in the tournament compose of collegiate players.... and there are other Asian countries like the former soviet state.... lets face it suntok talaga s buwan etong team.... might as well spend the money in other sports.....

best for them to turn pro...... nakathird tayo.... inspite of that im not expecting us to fare better than third place come the asian qualifying for the olympics.... even if you add kelly williams, ranidel, alapag, slaughter, they still cannot match up to the bigs of other countries.... rmember wala p s jones cup yong china, WHICH INSPITE OF YAO'S RETIREMENT, wont affect the team that much.... then there is lebanon and the arab countries that didn"t participate.... last asian games naka 7th place tayo.... JAPAN merely send a token team in the tournament compose of collegiate players.... and there are other Asian countries like the former soviet state.... lets face it suntok talaga s buwan etong team.... might as well spend the money in other sports.....

well intindihin na lang din natin ang players ... basketball is their means of livelihood. They have their own personal motive. While they may want to be patriotic, they also want to think about their future or as some may claim live their dream to play in the PBA.

Ang akin is ok lang naman na mag pro ang mga yan as long as they would still be willing to play for flag and country when called. Karamihan naman ng national players of different countries now play for professional clubs (except for those still in school) and not exclusively for the national team. Un iba kasi eventually ang dami nang rason kapag iniimbitahan maglaro para sa bansa.

Well, they already earn as much as they would if they joined the PBA kasi 150,000/month ang stipend ng Gilas players... which is the maximum they can get sa rookie contract nila with the PBA. And not everyone will get the maximum. Di yata bibigyan ng 150,000/month ng kahit sinong PBA team si Ababou o Ballesteros.

Also, playing for Gilas means playing less games. Playing less games mean being able to play longer.

STATEMENT FROM JV CASIO:

My joining the DRAFT was my decision even before GILAS announced the program extension. I'm very grateful with my stint with the NATIONAL TEAM as ,u game really improved a lot and joining the DRAFT doesn't mean I'm turning my back as this will hone my talent even more. I'm also for unity between SBP, GILAS, and PBA in forming the best team every time there's an international competition to show that we're really the best in ASIA. So anytime my services will be needed by the NATIONAL TEAM... I'll always be very willing to join them. Right now my focus is with the team as we prepare for the FIBA ASIA which is really our goal as we look forward to making it to the OLYMPICS. Thanks everyone for the understanding and support!