Annulment 101

Zorro

Scenario:

They got married in civil in Iloilo Hall of Justice, the age of the guy is 35 and the girl is 22. Iloilo City has this requirement that the girl will require a parental consent if she is less than 25 years of age. The Girl's dad is already dead and the mother is living in a far away province. To get around this problem, a friend posed as the girl's legal guardian and the girl signed an affidavit that the poser is really her guardian.

Question: Will this invalidate the marriage and can be a ground for annulment since the poser is not really her legal guardian? However, in the Philippine civil code, the legal requirement for a girl to marry is only 14 (if what I'm reading is correct). Will this render the requirement above to have a legal guardian if the girl is less than 25 not binding and thus the marriage is legal and binding?

The marriage is valid and binding between the parties.

Hindi na po 14 ang marrying age ngayon, 18 na (the Civil Code provisions on marriage were repealed by the Family Code on Aug. 3, 1988).

Sa ilalim ng Family Code, kailangan ng consent kapag 18 above but below 21. Dahil 22 na yung babae, kailangan niya ng PARENTAL ADVICE (not parental consent). Kapag walang parental advice, mabisa pa rin ang kasal (altho maaari silang makasuhan sa paggagamit ng impostor – ito ay hindi nakaka-apekto sa bisa ng kasal)

Scenario:

They got married in civil in Iloilo Hall of Justice, the age of the guy is 35 and the girl is 22. Iloilo City has this requirement that the girl will require a parental consent if she is less than 25 years of age. The Girl's dad is already dead and the mother is living in a far away province. To get around this problem, a friend posed as the girl's legal guardian and the girl signed an affidavit that the poser is really her guardian.

Question: Will this invalidate the marriage and can be a ground for annulment since the poser is not really her legal guardian? However, in the Philippine civil code, the legal requirement for a girl to marry is only 14 (if what I'm reading is correct). Will this render the requirement above to have a legal guardian if the girl is less than 25 not binding and thus the marriage is legal and binding?

i have been separated from my first wife for 8 years. and we have not communicated since. now i am with a new partner and I want us to get married so i can bring her to saudi where I work and use my family status. I heard that if u have been separated for 7 years, the marriage can get annulled or considered void. is it a fact? what are my chances in this scenario? how do i go about with this? Thank you..

1. I heard that if u have been separated for 7 years, the marriage can get annulled or considered void. is it a fact?

Sorry, pero FICTION yan.

Kahit gaano pa katagal kayong hiwalay, so long as alam mo na buhay pa yung asawa mo, di nawawalan ng bisa ang kasal nyo. Sa kaso mo, di lang kayo nag-communicate for 8 years, pero kung talagang gugustuhin mo, mahahanap mo yang asawa mo (wag mong sabihin na di mo alam kung saan nakatira yang asawa mo, o di kaya ang magulang niya, pwedeng-pwede ma-trace kung nasaan na yang asawang hiniwalayan mo).

para mawalan ng bisa ang kasal mo, kailangan mong maghain ng petition para dito.

i have been separated from my first wife for 8 years. and we have not communicated since. now i am with a new partner and I want us to get married so i can bring her to saudi where I work and use my family status. I heard that if u have been separated for 7 years, the marriage can get annulled or considered void. is it a fact? what are my chances in this scenario? how do i go about with this? Thank you..

1. I heard that if u have been separated for 7 years, the marriage can get annulled or considered void. is it a fact?

Sorry, pero FICTION yan.

Kahit gaano pa katagal kayong hiwalay, so long as alam mo na buhay pa yung asawa mo, di nawawalan ng bisa ang kasal nyo. Sa kaso mo, di lang kayo nag-communicate for 8 years, pero kung talagang gugustuhin mo, mahahanap mo yang asawa mo (wag mong sabihin na di mo alam kung saan nakatira yang asawa mo, o di kaya ang magulang niya, pwedeng-pwede ma-trace kung nasaan na yang asawang hiniwalayan mo).

para mawalan ng bisa ang kasal mo, kailangan mong maghain ng petition para dito.

Thanks for the reply bro..fact is hindi ko kailangan hanapin ang asawa ko. ano where they are. with my kids and in our house. though hindi na ko umuwi since i decided to call it quits with her, i never stop supporting them financially. and i am seeing my kids who are in constant communication with me. My interest now is how can I bring my new partner in saudi where I work. I am required to get my marriage licence authneticated which obviously i dont have. Any chance that we can get around with this like a if we get married just to have a valid license. we just want to get away ang never to return.. please help.

I have two questions:

1) If your wife doesn't want to have sex with you for 3 months now, can it be a ground for annulment because she failed to fulfill her obligation as a wife?

2)If you filed a case and convicted your wife with adultery, can you marry again or you have to file an annulment first?

Thanks a lot for advice.

Edited by aswang

dahil buhay pa ang asawa mo (at alam mo na buhay pa ito), ang option na available sa yo ay maghain ng petition para ipawalang bisa ang kasal mo. mas malamang sa hindi, ang available na lang sa yo ay petition for declaration of nullity of marriage on the ground na "psychologically incapacitated" ang asawa mo. kailangan mo na kumunsulta sa abugado para dito.

Note: hindi instant ito, dadaan sa proseso, baka abutin ka ng dalawang hanggang tatlong taon.

kung Filipino citizen ka, maari din namang mag-iba ka ng nationality (dun ka sa bansa na may divorce). pag iba na ang citizenship mo, pwede mo na i-divorce ang asawa mo.

Thanks for the reply bro..fact is hindi ko kailangan hanapin ang asawa ko. ano where they are. with my kids and in our house. though hindi na ko umuwi since i decided to call it quits with her, i never stop supporting them financially. and i am seeing my kids who are in constant communication with me. My interest now is how can I bring my new partner in saudi where I work. I am required to get my marriage licence authneticated which obviously i dont have. Any chance that we can get around with this like a if we get married just to have a valid license. we just want to get away ang never to return.. please help.

1) If your wife doesn't want to have sex with you for 3 months now, can it be a ground for annulment because she failed to fulfill her obligation as a wife?

if the failure to have sex dates back to the beginning of the marriage and is due to physical incapacity which is incurable, this is a ground for annulment.

however, a reading of your post seems to imply that there was sex at the beginning, only that now, she refuses to have sex. refusal to have sex is not a ground for annulment (see Art. 45, Family Code)

however, for "declaration of nullity" (this is different from annulment), refusal to have sex, if you can get a psychiatrist/psychologist to say that this is caused by a very serious psychological disorder on the part of the wife, would constitute "psychological incapacity" to comply with essential marital obligations and would result in the nullity of the marriage.

Note1: mere refusal to have sex, without expert testimony linking this to a psychological disorder, is insufficient.

Note2: likewise, it is going to be very very difficult to prove that the spouses have not been having sex

2)If you filed a case and convicted your wife with adultery, can you marry again or you have to file an annulment first?

conviction for adultery does not result in the dissolution of the marriage of the convicted wife. the husband still has to file a petition for declaration of nullity (assuming there are no other defects in the marriage, you'll have to prove that the adultery is a symptom of a severe psychological incapacity on the part of the wife)

I have two questions:

Thanks a lot for advice.

Sir I have a question....

Kung natatandaan niyo ako yung pinalayas ng asawa ko dahil sa wlang kwentang dahilan...noong una nadadalaw ko pa yung anak ko sa bahay namin. kaso eto nga dumating yung araw na nagkasakit si baby so i've decided na matulog sa bahay namin para mabantayan ko si baby ng overnight... kaso noong bumalik ako di nila ako pinagbuksan ng pinto at ayaw nila ako doon mag stay.. it's really horrible for me kasi minura pa ako nun biyenan ko... tell what shall i do? grabe ng sitwasyon namnin na pinagbabawalan nko bumusita sa anak ko....saan ako lalapit para magsumbong? at anong mga sanctions na pwede ko ihain sa kanila?

Sir I have a question....

Kung natatandaan niyo ako yung pinalayas ng asawa ko dahil sa wlang kwentang dahilan...noong una nadadalaw ko pa yung anak ko sa bahay namin. kaso eto nga dumating yung araw na nagkasakit si baby so i've decided na matulog sa bahay namin para mabantayan ko si baby ng overnight... kaso noong bumalik ako di nila ako pinagbuksan ng pinto at ayaw nila ako doon mag stay.. it's really horrible for me kasi minura pa ako nun biyenan ko... tell what shall i do? grabe ng sitwasyon namnin na pinagbabawalan nko bumusita sa anak ko....saan ako lalapit para magsumbong? at anong mga sanctions na pwede ko ihain sa kanila?

get a lawyer and file a petition to be given visitation rights. kung nagmamadali ka, file ka ng habeas corpus, sabihin mo na unfit yung mother so gusto mong kunin yung mga anak mo. ipapatawag kayo kaagad ng korte at gagawan ng paraan para magkaroon ng compromise agreement sa visitation rights mo.

sa lahat ng tanong mo, ang sagot... DEPENDE

1- how much can i expect to pay for the case? depende sa abugado na makukuha mo.

2- how long does the process take? depende sa court (kung marami ang caseload, mas matagal), depende sa abugado mo (kung masigasig mas mabilis), depende sa kabilang partido (kung lalaban, mas matagal), depende sa maraming factors ang length ng case (normally, however, maglaan ng isang taon hanggang dalawang taon para sa proseso)

3- how many days (of visits) per week are usually given? depende sa sitwasyon ng magulang, ng bata, ng schedule ng bata, etc., mahirap sabihin dahil ang bawat sitwasyon ay kakaiba.

questions regarding trying to get visitation rights:

1- how much can i expect to pay for the case?

2- how long does the process take?

3- how many days (of visits) per week are usually given?

mag-apply sa NSO ng CENOMAR para dun sa babae. kapag lumabas sa record ng NSO na kasal na sa babae bago yung kasal nila ni guy, may problema si guy (kahit "faked" itong kasal, hindi pupwedeng sila-sila ang magsabi na "faked" ito, dapat hukuman ang magdedesisyun ukol dito — dahilan dito, pati yung kasal ni girl at guy ay mawawalang-bisa din).

how about if the girl says she has a previous marriage and she claimed that it's faked and the guy believe and they married. How can you verify if the girl's first marriage is actually faked.

sa lahat ng tanong mo, ang sagot... DEPENDE

1- how much can i expect to pay for the case? depende sa abugado na makukuha mo.

2- how long does the process take? depende sa court (kung marami ang caseload, mas matagal), depende sa abugado mo (kung masigasig mas mabilis), depende sa kabilang partido (kung lalaban, mas matagal), depende sa maraming factors ang length ng case (normally, however, maglaan ng isang taon hanggang dalawang taon para sa proseso)

3- how many days (of visits) per week are usually given? depende sa sitwasyon ng magulang, ng bata, ng schedule ng bata, etc., mahirap sabihin dahil ang bawat sitwasyon ay kakaiba.

thanks po!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah bro, we are on the same boat, the 150-250K, may share yung asawa mo dyan and it's going to be a long process...

at least for legal separation, all your future assets will be secured...

:)

I hope your lawyer told you that LegSep only allows you to go separate ways but it does not extinguish the marriage bond, meaning if you get into a relationship with another girl technically you are still covered by the provisions related to concubinage (if you have sexual intercourse, under scandalous circumstances, with a woman not your wife or cohabit with her in any other place).

Ipon na lang kayo pa ng konti, para tuluyan nyo na lang ipa-declare na void yong marriage mo. Think of it this way, at present you have no intention of remarrying but what if you fall in love eventually and think of settling down but you wouldn't be able to kasi legal separation lang ang ginawa nyo. So, you pay P75,000 now (more or less) but then later you still pay the fees for the action to declare your marriage as a nullity, nagpatong lang yong gastos.

Although yon nga lang kung may assets to consider ok ang legsep. But if you have assets to consider, ibig sabihin may pera ka so bakit hindi mo pa tuluyan na ipa-void yong marriage mo?

Oh ingat lang din pala sa sharing fees with your wife when it comes to declaring your marriage void, verbal lang lahat walang contract or agreement dapat. May rule kasi against collusion. If the Fiscal (who is acting in representation of the State) finds in his investigation that there is collusion (or an evident agreement that the parties want to have the marriage voided) the court will dismiss it. Pero kung may "special arrangement" na kayo for the process, hindi problema yon.

I hope your lawyer told you that LegSep only allows you to go separate ways but it does not extinguish the marriage bond, meaning if you get into a relationship with another girl technically you are still covered by the provisions related to concubinage (if you have sexual intercourse, under scandalous circumstances, with a woman not your wife or cohabit with her in any other place).

Ipon na lang kayo pa ng konti, para tuluyan nyo na lang ipa-declare na void yong marriage mo. Think of it this way, at present you have no intention of remarrying but what if you fall in love eventually and think of settling down but you wouldn't be able to kasi legal separation lang ang ginawa nyo. So, you pay P75,000 now (more or less) but then later you still pay the fees for the action to declare your marriage as a nullity, nagpatong lang yong gastos.

Although yon nga lang kung may assets to consider ok ang legsep. But if you have assets to consider, ibig sabihin may pera ka so bakit hindi mo pa tuluyan na ipa-void yong marriage mo?

Oh ingat lang din pala sa sharing fees with your wife when it comes to declaring your marriage void, verbal lang lahat walang contract or agreement dapat. May rule kasi against collusion. If the Fiscal (who is acting in representation of the State) finds in his investigation that there is collusion (or an evident agreement that the parties want to have the marriage voided) the court will dismiss it. Pero kung may "special arrangement" na kayo for the process, hindi problema yon.

yeah bro, i know this, actually, i am postponing my legal separation because in the near future, i would be applying for an annulment, i am sure my wife would agree on it and soon, hopefully it would be over..

thanks for the advise regarding the matter on COLLUSION....

alalahanin mo din na ang paghahain ng petition for legal separation ay isang pag-amin na mabisa ang kasal mo (otherwise, hindi lang legal separation ang isinampa mo, kundi nullity of marriage na). dahil dito, baka hindi ka na payagan, later on, na maghain ng action for nullity of marriage (dahil nga inamin mo beforehand na valid ang kasal mo).

yeah bro, i know this, actually, i am postponing my legal separation because in the near future, i would be applying for an annulment, i am sure my wife would agree on it and soon, hopefully it would be over..

thanks for the advise regarding the matter on COLLUSION....

alalahanin mo din na ang paghahain ng petition for legal separation ay isang pag-amin na mabisa ang kasal mo (otherwise, hindi lang legal separation ang isinampa mo, kundi nullity of marriage na). dahil dito, baka hindi ka na payagan, later on, na maghain ng action for nullity of marriage (dahil nga inamin mo beforehand na valid ang kasal mo).

care to expound on this statement sir??? and what's your best advise??

our lawyer, in my assesment is not too bright (hence, the cheap rates she offers us) so i am compelled not to ask some opinions regarding this...

thanks so much in advance sir....

Sir, What would be the probability or chances of my marriage to be null and void kung ganito po ang nangyari.

1) Nagpakasal po kmi sa Manila City Hall pero hindi dumaan sa tamang proseso. May fixer po kc pero may nagkasal sa amin doon.

2) Wla po yung parents ko and kailangan nila ng written parents consent because Im only 20 years old(male) and my wife is 25. Dpo alam sa amin to. So ginawa po nila dinaya na lang po yung written parents consent na ako po ang nag sign.

3) Nagtaka rin po ako dhil sabi nung employee don na sa Caloocan City Hall daw namin makukuha marriage contract kc mahigpit daw po don sa MCH at that time. Sa manila ako nagpakasal pero sa caloocan ang marriage contract ko.

4) 1999 pa po kami kasal and valid po ang kasal kc naka registered po sa NSO.

I want to know the chances kc po sayang naman po yung magagastos ko kung wla naman pong mangyayari...

Thanks in advance...