Mma Vs Boxing

dragonei

Contradicting? Hmmm... no... you just refuse to get the point. Will (muscles for) jumping high help you in boxing? Will overdeveloping your tongue muscles help you win a boxing bout? So are those muscles "useful" (as far as boxing is concerned). Go ahead say it. Will exercising tongue muscles help win a boxing match? Useful or not? How about jumping high?

"still didn't clearly state how one would determine which is the better "raw athlete." give us an example of how you would measure the "raw athleticism" of one athlete to compare with another. in your opinion, who is the better "raw athlete," Georges Saint-Pierre, or Bernard Hopkins? (both ones of the higherst rated in their field.)r as boxing is concerned)?"

These are no longer raw athletes. They are now SPECIALIZED athletes. GSP will not win against Bhop in boxing and Bhop will get killed in MMA.

Ikaw na lang, if you can do either/or of 2 or more sports, will you choose the one that will pay you less?

Edited by skitz
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

money is definitely an incentive, but it's not the only incentive. hindi mo rin masasabi sa tao eh, sa dami ng tao sa mundo, gagawin nila talaga ang gusto nila

sa dami ng tao sa mundo and sa dami ng interests ng tao, i'm sure all these sports will survive, siguro these sports will just adapt to the times (politics and finances)

Daming away dito....

Simply put.. boxing and MMA have similar, although slightly different physical demands.

Muscles for boxing and muscles for MMA are also similar. A muscle is a muscle.

A stronger muscle is a muscle which has more potential to develop maximal power.

Daming away dito....

Simply put.. boxing and MMA have similar, although slightly different physical demands.

A stronger muscle is a muscle which has more potential to develop maximal power.

^^ Yes. Pero MMA is more "general" while boxing is more "specialized". Kaya nga, I believe that MMA (because of the mixed training) are better rounded athletes and will win against boxers in the set of tests (listed by Larry). Merong use sa MMA ang ability to lift heavy (for the takedowns), useless yan sa boxers. Muscles for grip is also useful for MMA, useless in boxing.

Contradicting? Hmmm... no... you just refuse to get the point. Will (muscles for) jumping high help you in boxing? Will overdeveloping your tongue muscles help you win a boxing bout? So are those muscles "useful" (as far as boxing is concerned). Go ahead say it. Will exercising tongue muscles help win a boxing match? Useful or not? How about jumping high?

jumping high? yes. that is one of the most general measurements of lower body explosive power. (and boxers punch from the legs).

tongue muscles? can't say that it will helps me in a fight. but i am not an all-knowing god of boxing to claim that i know for a fact that it will not help in any area at all. (i don't even know how to strengthen the tongue muscles. any tips?)

"still didn't clearly state how one would determine which is the better "raw athlete." give us an example of how you would measure the "raw athleticism" of one athlete to compare with another..."

hey, if you don't want to answer the question, that's totally fine by me, man. nobody's forcing you to do anything here.

Ikaw na lang, if you can do either/or of 2 or more sports, will you choose the one that will pay you less?

now that you put it that way, i can do four sports, and i choose to focus on the one that i like most. even if it doesn't pay much (or at all).

Daming away dito....

ser naman. nagpaparami lang ako ng posts. hindi ba halata? :lol:

pero pamagat pa lang kasi ng thread, alam mo na eh...

Merong use sa MMA ang ability to lift heavy (for the takedowns), useless yan sa boxers.

kung ganoon, bakit nagbubuhat ng weights sina tyson? bakit gumagamit ng plyometrics sina pacquiao? etc...

ahh... baka hobby lang, hindi training.

Edited by Palakol

syempre we all want to get paid more. but the choices people make are not guided solely by money, madami ring factors that can make people change their minds.... sorry kung medyo incoherent ang idea/s ko hehehe

anyway.... i think weight training is standard for sports that need power, syempre to make a muscle stronger you need to expose it to greater stressor, if you don't do weight training and just rely on activities that use body weight, limited ang muscle development as opposed to weight training where athletes can expect to exposed to resistance training greater than their weight

also... i remember mike tyson being known for his great gym work and being able to press over 350 lbs. but did he admit to using steroids?

^ Of course, that is also true. But as a general rule, would you say you go for the higher pay or the lower pay? All things being equal, would you rather get paid more or get paid less?
but i am not an all-knowing god of boxing to claim that i know for a fact that it will not help in any area at all.

All knowing god? And who claimed this to be? Because I said that boxers refrain from bulking up is me claiming to be an all knowing god of boxing?

"Jumping high". So boxers train similar to how high jumpers train? Or even how basketball players train? Or do they train different? Yes, boxers get their power from the legs. Kaya nga they don't know how to punch when sprawled on the canvass or even when they are on top of their opponent like MMA fighters do (I mentioned that before).

But you know what, you win. You've convinced me. Boxers train to bulk up. They run shuttles to work on their footwork. And most of all, the sport that pays the least will attract the best athletes.

syempre we all want to get paid more. but the choices people make are not guided solely by money, madami ring factors that can make people change their minds.... sorry kung medyo incoherent ang idea/s ko hehehe

anyway.... i think weight training is standard for sports that need power, syempre to make a muscle stronger you need to expose it to greater stressor, if you don't do weight training and just rely on activities that use body weight, limited ang muscle development as opposed to weight training where athletes can expect to exposed to resistance training greater than their weight

also... i remember mike tyson being known for his great gym work and being able to press over 350 lbs. but did he admit to using steroids?

really? steroids? well that should explain why opponents were literally flying across the ring...

let's just put it this way: two fighters are equal in skill, experience, and everything else. but one can lift double of what the other one can. (in other words, he's just plain stronger.) it's really quite easy to determine which one is more likely to win in a boxing match, right? all else being equal, the stronger fighter will prevail. why not take advantage of that edge strength provides?

All knowing god? And who claimed this to be? Because I said that boxers refrain from bulking up is me claiming to be an all knowing god of boxing?

"Jumping high". So boxers train similar to how high jumpers train? Or even how basketball players train? Or do they train different? Yes, boxers get their power from the legs. Kaya nga they don't know how to punch when sprawled on the canvass or even when they are on top of their opponent like MMA fighters do (I mentioned that before).

But you know what, you win. You've convinced me. Boxers train to bulk up. They run shuttles to work on their footwork. And most of all, the sport that pays the least will attract the best athletes.

:lol: chill, man. just making conversation here. i enjoy the dialogue.

but yup, you got it. that's exactly what i was trying to say since the beginning of this thread. i'm glad you understand. :D

so for all you boxers out there, now you know what to do.

Edited by Palakol
For those of you who do not know, two of the most popular fight announcers today are infact half brothers.

bruce actually manages michael's career, and he has always been his brother's business manager, even before bruce got into MMA.

there was one early UFC if I recall correctly where Michael announced the fights, I can't recall which one it is though.

I love bruce for his turn too, sometimes he gets so pumped up about the upcoming fight, you can hear the intensity in his voice, and it almost seems like he's about to go fight too.

bruce actually manages michael's career, and he has always been his brother's business manager, even before bruce got into MMA.

there was one early UFC if I recall correctly where Michael announced the fights, I can't recall which one it is though.

I love bruce for his turn too, sometimes he gets so pumped up about the upcoming fight, you can hear the intensity in his voice, and it almost seems like he's about to go fight too.

IIITSSSS [come on mothaf#&ka', let's do this.] TIIIIMEEEE!

which one is older?

Edited by Palakol

Here is an observation.

Its more difficult in MMA to have an unbeaten record than it is in boxing. In fact the best MMA fighters out there have already suffered several defeats of 5 or more. In boxing di na maganda record mo pag medyo lampas na dito talo mo pag less than 20 fights ka pa lang.

Obviously this is because there are so many ways to loose in MMA. You can get knocked out unconscious, the referee could stop the fight after taking 3-5 punches when you are on the ground. You can be submitted by an oponent, or simply loose to a decision. In boxing, you only loose by KO or points. There are fewer factors to consider in boxing when you are sizing up your opponent. In MMA, not only do you have to consider how hard your opponent can hit, but how tight is his grip, and how good is his cardio.

Second is because in MMA there is a lesser time to recover from a brutal punch. In fact there is no standing 8-count. When you hit the canvass, your opponent will most likely keep you there till your corner throws the towel or the referee stops the fight.

Boxers can use their thick padded gloves to cushion the blows. While MMA gloves do nothing less than protect your knuckles.

^^ Plus the fact that promoters in boxing "feed" their future contenders patsies to jack up their record. 16-0 with 16 KOs does not mean anything in boxing. You need to examine that record carefully and see if there are any rated boxers listed in that 16-0 record. Fault the governing bodies. Their rating method is antiquated. The only governing these organizations do, in fact, is to take the x percent cut off the purse in championship fights.

^^^

eto nga yung naging strategy ni Mayweather eh. He never took any risk with his unbeaten records. he did not fight the best in the welterweight division. He fought fighter he knew he could easily beat. At nung naubos na hand-picked opponents nya, he decided to retire para magpalamig muna (?)

In fact the best MMA fighters out there have already suffered several defeats of 5 or more.

the current top 10 rated MMA fighters:

10. Shinya Aoki (19-3)

9. Urijah Faber (22-2)

8. Quinton Jackson (29-7)

7. Lyoto Machida (14-0)

6. BJ Penn (13-5-1)

5. Rashad Evans (13-0-1)

4. Miguel Angel Torres (35-1)

3. Georges St. Pierre (18-2)

2. Anderson Silva (23-4)

1. Fedor Emelianenko (29-1)

^^ Plus the fact that promoters in boxing "feed" their future contenders patsies to jack up their record. 16-0 with 16 KOs does not mean anything in boxing. You need to examine that record carefully and see if there are any rated boxers listed in that 16-0 record. Fault the governing bodies. Their rating method is antiquated. The only governing these organizations do, in fact, is to take the x percent cut off the purse in championship fights.

i.e. the previous post on Fashan 3K Battery.

sometimes it happens that champions take fights against novices for "tune-ups," or merely to improve their fight records. this is particularly common in thailand, where champions face boxers as green as four rounders. for example, Fashan 3K Battery, 59-9-1, goes against guys with 0-1-0 records and even boxers on their debut fight. in his last 10 title defenses since 2003, only four had double-digit wins and none of them even had 20 wins.
Edited by Palakol

"sometimes it happens that champions take fights against novices for "tune-ups," or merely to improve their fight records. this is particularly common in thailand, where champions face boxers as green as four rounders. for example, Fashan 3K Battery, 59-9-1, goes against guys with 0-1-0 records and even boxers on their debut fight. in his last 10 title defenses since 2003, only four had double-digit wins and none of them even had 20 wins."

^^ And that is how boxers get killed. A lot of Pinoys have died in Thailand in fact.

^^ And that is how boxers get killed. A lot of Pinoys have died in Thailand in fact.

you can say that again...

mga 4 round fighters sinasabak sa mga 12 round Thai fighters...

wala pang proper medical attention before, during and after the fight...

kala nila concussion lang yun pala hematoma na... paktay!

lol

hahaha

seriously bro, you don't think he belongs in the top 10?