Practical Shooting

pareng pare

The nationwide gun ban will be lifted on June 9, and stricter measures on gun control will be put in place instead of extending the gun ban’s effectivity, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced Friday.

The policy was announced during the PNP’s second gun summit in Camp Crame on Friday, where participants conceded to just supporting stricter measures on firearms control.

“There will be no gun ban extension. The policies on carrying guns before the election period will be reinstated," said PNP chief Director General Jesus Verzosa.

The gun ban went into effect on January 10, after the Commission on Elections ordered it in place as part of implementing election law as applied to the recent May 10 polls.

Nearly 3,000 individuals, including some 200 government employees, have been apprehended during the period.

Some 300 representatives from various sectors who were present in the summit were unable to come to a general agreement on whether the gun ban should be extended or not.

Summit participants finally agreed to the lifting of the ban if stricter measures on gun ownership will be enforced.

The proposed stricter gun policies include limiting the security details for politicians and VIPs (Very Important Persons), and stricter requirements for those who are seeking a Permit to Carry Firearms Outside Residence (PTCFOR).

“They also agreed to support our proposal for stricter penalties for those who will be caught possessing unlicensed firearms or guns with expired licenses," Verzosa added.

A post-gun summit will likewise be held next week, where the proposals for stricter gun control will be finalized. (Another summit?who will be there to guide the PNP? or even make suggestions,they might just come up with weirder law)

Some sectors, including the PNP itself, earlier called for an extension in the effectivity of the gun ban, citing the reported decrease in the incidence of crime.

Earlier in the summit, the PNP presented a survey it commissioned which showed majority of Metro Manila residents want the gun ban extended. (I've never thought that the Philippines only comprises of Metro Manila)

Based on the survey, 73.8 percent of the 400 respondents from the National Capital Region (NCR) believe the total gun ban should remain in force after June 9.

The NCR survey is part of the ongoing nationwide study targeted to involve 4,400 respondents, the results of which are set to be released mid-June.

The survey likewise showed that 81.5 percent of the respondents agreed that police checkpoints should remain in place even after elections, as majority of the respondents believe it resulted in the reduction of the incidence of crime.

PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina earlier said the police agency is holding a stakeholders’ summit to tackle proposals for “responsible gun ownership" by civilians.

But presidential front-runner Benigno “Noynoy" Aquino III, who practices target shooting himself as a hobby, expressed apprehensions on the total gun ban.

"It's a nice imagery for you to say total gun ban, where nobody has guns, but there is a fine print: Nobody who follows the laws will have guns," Aquino said.—JMA/JV, GMANews.TV

"ANYONE WHO TRIES TO TAKE MY GUN AWAY FROM ME IS MY ENEMY"

thinking of getting a PTC but isnt it that there will be a barangay election in october? e di gun ban na naman ulit? di ba sayang lang kung kukuha ako ng PTC? what do you guys think?

Bro 40 to 45 days lang gunban pag brgy elections.

Been to jetro dasma cavite range ok dun nakakapagod lang pagbaba at pag akyat.

Sorry its july 15 to july 19

thanks junix.

no problemo chief. will you be going? btw, my 12 year old son is seriously considering trying practical shooting. he's been shooting with me at armscor marikina since last year...pero mukhang na-engganyo talaga sa practical. any suggestions on what gun he should try? i have a colt 1911 but i think this one's a bit heavy for him. thanks in advance.

why not get him a carry gun muna? something in 9mm? Tanfoglios or Bersas? especially since Tanfoglio Force and the Armscor APP9 are both compatible and have polymer frames....both also have in 380. there are also single stack Kahrs out there, but i'm afraid i don't remember who distributes them....

no problemo chief. will you be going? btw, my 12 year old son is seriously considering trying practical shooting. he's been shooting with me at armscor marikina since last year...pero mukhang na-engganyo talaga sa practical. any suggestions on what gun he should try? i have a colt 1911 but i think this one's a bit heavy for him. thanks in advance.

Yes sir 1st day present na ako sa megamall.

Bro pwede mo try ung mga mas magaan na pistol, czpo7, cz rami, glocks.

Edited by arsonist2010

Yes sir 1st day present na ako sa megamall.

Bro pwede mo try ung mga mas magaan na pistol, czpo7, cz rami, glocks.

thanks for this info chief. i'll be checking these guns during the gun show. malamang sa 2nd day na kami dadaan ng son ko.

Ok copy. pwede mo din isama sa pagpilian SIG250, TAURUS PT107

i'll take note of these guns chief. btw, any reviews on the taurus guns? if my memory serves me right, i read some negative feedbacks on the taurus guns. anyway, i'll surely check on all these guns.

i'll take note of these guns chief. btw, any reviews on the taurus guns? if my memory serves me right, i read some negative feedbacks on the taurus guns. anyway, i'll surely check on all these guns.

@sir Junix, steer clear away from Taurus pistols! you are right, there have been a lot of negative feedbacks. i have personally witnessed, twice, slides literally falling to pieces from Taurus guns. their revolvers, however, seem to be a different case. does your kid have a grip capable of holding hicap pistols? if yes, you could go with APP/Tanfolglios, CZs, Jerichos, Sigs. the steyr is also a good pistol.

i wouldn't recommend a glock to a kid, until you are quite sure about his firearms discipline. the fact that there is no manual safety give me pause on that. since glocks are only being sold to police and soldiers nowadays, you might also find it hard to find one.....

@sir Junix, steer clear away from Taurus pistols! you are right, there have been a lot of negative feedbacks. i have personally witnessed, twice, slides literally falling to pieces from Taurus guns. their revolvers, however, seem to be a different case. does your kid have a grip capable of holding hicap pistols? if yes, you could go with APP/Tanfolglios, CZs, Jerichos, Sigs. the steyr is also a good pistol.

i wouldn't recommend a glock to a kid, until you are quite sure about his firearms discipline. the fact that there is no manual safety give me pause on that. since glocks are only being sold to police and soldiers nowadays, you might also find it hard to find one.....

thanks for these infos chief. actually my son's been firing his mom's 9mm bul cherokee for almost a year now and he's been steady with it. he once tried my colt 1911 but it was just too heavy for him. maybe we could check out some tanfoglios or CZs at the gun show. glock is certainly out of the picture.

i don't think the upcoming gunshow would be fun this year. walang ptc how am i going to buy another unit? ano iiwan ko lang sa bahay? :angry2:

:)glad i was able to talk to my wifey's cousin before he got reassigned back in the field. still got a valid ptc for the year. :)

I'm planning to buy a cal. 40 handgun, and a friend of mine is strongly recommending Glock. Can anyone give an alternative brand, and the reasons for it? Thanks a lot. I'm a newbie to shooting.

if you are looking for glock-like pistols, then try out the S&W M&P and the Springfield XDm/HS 2000 pistols. M&P delivers their patented quality on a polymer frame. the XDm and the HS- the XD is a duplicate of the HS, the XDm is a modified one- are roughly as reliable as a glock with a big advantage, grip safety. it will not fire unless there is a hand holding the grip. the M&P also has a thumb safety. to me, both features make both these pistols worthy alternatives to the glock