fMLB Full Count 10

bubuy

isipin mo laki na ng offer ng sox eh...ayaw pa...

imho... only the sox and angels can cough up money and would be an endearing place to play

the red sox did what they had to do in the tex race, that is to bring the price up just in case he lands with the yanks.. which is what happened, eventually..

Some excerpts from the "Scott Boras Translation Machine:"

You mentioned that several of your guys have received multiple offers from more than one team. Is Manny one of them?

Boras: “Again, I’m not going to go to any specifics.”

Translation: I have nothing to gain by telling you that.

Is the country’s economic stress impacting finances of big league clubs?

Boras: “Contractually, these franchises are subsidized by a league television contract, local media contracts and other guarantees. Clubs in our business cannot perform—and not perform well—and get about $65 million guaranteed. Usually when a person doesn’t perform, they can’t go and pay down their mortgage. In our business, you can be in last place, not win for 15 years and take the money you’re given and pay off your debt and increase your equity. It’s not a normal business.”

Translation: No.

But what if the economic stress does filter down to baseball?

Boras: “I certainly think there could be an impact from the economy, but if there is one, you have to look at the historical aspects. If there is a drop in revenue, even a 10 percent one, (revenues) would go from $6.5 billion to $6 billion, and that still would be a record revenue base from where we were just a year ago.”

Translation: No matter what, there’s tons of money out there.

:lol:

Yep. Kay Tex ako nag-refer in that statement. Sori, master! :P

As for Manny, huwag na kasi siyang umasa ng long-term deal.

At most, three years with option for a fourth.

I think CASHman only added pressure to his players this off-season.

Imagine what'd happen if they still don't win in the next, say, three years.

New stadium to pay for, a bazillion of salaries and another gazillion for luxury tax -- and no World Series title. :lol:

the steinbrenners arent paying the players a single dime.. all money comes from their business empire (YES Network, merchandise, et al), that alone is able to handle the costs of this billion dollar team.. the stadium can pay for itself, what with the sky high ticket prices.. :goatee:

useless din naman ang luxury tax sa MLB, it doesnt do what it's supposed to do.. that's why the MLB is a game for the big market teams.. the rest are just puppets or fillers.. teams like OAK, its an accomplishment to reach the playoffs like winning the world series already.. that's what BOS, LAD/LAA and NYY fans dont realize, there wont be any league if not for those smaller teams.. its their playground, but it aint fun if you're not playing with someone.. :)

Instead of a salary cap, Major League Baseball implemented a "luxury tax," an arrangement by which teams whose aggregate payroll exceeds a certain figure, determined annually, are "taxed" on the excess amount. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its "industry-growth fund."

As of the 2004 season, only the Boston Red Sox, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the Detroit Tigers, and the New York Yankees paid any luxury tax, as the team's superstar players earned yearly salaries close to the entire payroll of some other clubs. The tax has only been implemented on eleven occasions and the Yankees have been the subject of six of those.

However, critics point out that the luxury tax has had little effect on maintaining competitive balance and on overspending by affluent teams. Others critics point to dependence of the small market teams on the revenue provided through the tax, without which they would be unable to fund operations. Due to opposition of a powerful MLB players' union, and because the Yankees and Red Sox refused to side with the majority of MLB owners, the implementation of a salary cap is unlikely at the moment. Although some saw the success of NHL owners in their 2004-05 lockout as an opportunity for MLB to reform its collective bargaining agreement, baseball owners agreed to a new five-year deal in October 2006 that did not include a salary cap.

Edited by bubuy
but in baseball ... if a team commits to a certain price they have to pay out the contract.. even if they cut tex theyd still be on the hook for the remainder of the contract ...MLB players union sure have strong bargaining powers

im sure they wouldnt cut tex, im also aware that the contract has a full no-trade clause.. but we all know the players can waive it.. i was implying maybe they shouldnt finish it and trade him to another team.. hehehe.. one that will take on the contract, not like the a-rod texas to nyy deal where the rangers where paying arod a percentage of his salary..

tex would be 36 at the tailend of the contract, if he does age gracefully just like chipper jones i think someone would be willing (or foolish) to take the risk, maybe a team who's positioning for a championship run in 2014/15/16? :lol:

doc, maybe tex doesnt like winning that much.. :D

but seriously, i think the yanks were able to patch up the things they needed to patch up.. starting pitching and a 1st baseman.. now they have to offload their surplus in the OF.. the swisher signing looks so bad right now.. :lol:

I dunno, but the Sox and Boras never liked each other anyway.

On that angle, it's kinda deja vu as to the Johnny Damon-to-NYY deal where Johnny signed for even less money than what the Sox offered.

Tex could've been a nice addition but I think the Sox will still do well without him.

Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, Ortiz and Bay is still a very formidable batting order.

but seriously, i think the yanks were able to patch up the things they needed to patch up.. starting pitching and a 1st baseman.. now they have to offload their surplus in the OF.. the swisher signing looks so bad right now.. :lol:

Let's see: Matsui, Nady, Damon, Melky and Swisher at the OF.

If Matsui gets the DH job (which he'd surely hate), that leaves four OFs pa.

Okay lang yun, lagi namang injured si Swisher e. :lol:

This season or next, the Yanks will have to get a replacement for Rivera.

The guy looked really old last season.