Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

• 2 weeks later...

JRR Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Stephen King - The Stand, Shawshank Redemption

John Le Carre - The Little Drummer Girl

David Morrell - Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraternity of the Stone

John Steinbeck - Travels With Charley

Dean Koontz - One Door Away from Heaven, Watchers, Dragon Tears, Odd Thomas, Intensity

Anne Rice - Memnoch the Devil

Umberto Eco - In the Name of the Rose

Carlos Castaneda - all of his books :thumbsupsmiley:

Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes

Peter Straub - Shadowland

T.E.D. Klein - The Ceremonies

Elwyn Chamberlain - Gates of Fire

Joseph Hewyood - The Berkut

George Orwell - 1984

...and many others.

• 3 months later...

I'm more into Sci-Fi and Fantasy:

1. Andre Norton
  2. Anne McCaffrey
  3. David Drake
  4. David Eddings
  5. David Gemmel
  6. David Weber
  7. Elizabeth Moon
  8. Eric Flint
  9. George R.R. Martin
  10. Glenn Cook
  11. Harold Coyle
  12. Harry Harrison
  13. Harry Turtledove
  14. J. R. R. Tolkien
  15. James Hogan
  16. John Ringo
  17. Katherine Kurtz
  18. Mercedes Lackey
  19. Patricia McKillip
  20. Piers Anthony
  21. Poul Anderson
  22. Raymond Feist
  23. Robert Adams
  24. Robert Asprin
  25. Robert Heinlein
  26. W. E. B. Griffin

Oh there are just too many to mention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest biancaanne

Authors:

Joyce Carol Oates

Raymond Carver

Anne Rice

CS Lewis

Orson Scott Card

Books:

The "Ender" series

Screwtape Letters

Blonde

Tales of Transgression

The Vampire Chronicles

I'm more into Sci-Fi and Fantasy:

Pareho kami

1. Andre Norton
  2. Anne McCaffrey
  3. David Drake favorite
  4. David Eddings not yet read
  5. David Gemmel
  6. David Weber favorite
  7. Elizabeth Moon
  8. Eric Flint favorite
  9. George R.R. Martin
  10. Glenn Cook
  11. Harold Coyle
  12. Harry Harrison
  13. Harry Turtledove yeah
  14. J. R. R. Tolkien yeah yeah
  15. James Hogan
  16. John Ringo favorite
  17. Katherine Kurtz
  18. Mercedes Lackey
  19. Patricia McKillip
  20. Piers Anthony not so
  21. Poul Anderson
  22. Raymond Feist
  23. Robert Adams
  24. Robert Asprin funny
  25. Robert Heinlein deep
  26. W. E. B. Griffin

Oh there are just too many to mention.

• 4 weeks later...

Only Paulo Coelho, Neil Gaiman, and Haruki Murakami can satisfy my literature cravings. My library is teeming with their works (I have all of their books save for Gaiman's Sandman series and a couple of Murakami's novels). My favorite Coelho is Veronika Decides to Die. Every woman is bound to like this one. I believe it's the story of my life although I've never been committed to a mental institution. Well, at least, not yet. The movie adaptation is a FAIL though. Coelho once said that he wouldn't let anyone make a film out his books, I wish he kept his word. Next on my Coelho list are By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, 11 Minutes, and Like the Flowing River. As for Gaiman, I can't really decide which one I like best. He's a genius. I'd be his Paduan any time of the day. All hail the master! Then, we have Murakami. His style is undeniably weird. But I like him that way. He forces his readers to think and imagine.

Anyway, I also love Robert Fulghum, Roald Dahl, Anne Rice, Robert Greene, Audrey Niffenegger, and Gregory Maguire. Other books I like include The Mermaid Chair, The Historian, The Virgin Suicides, Water for Elephants, Like Water for Chocolate, So I am Glad, all of Mitch Albom's books, poetry by Pablo Neruda, to name a few. I read Rowling and Brown and they're okay. They deserve the fame they're getting.

Salman Rushdie, Ben Okri, Woody Allen, Albert Camus, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Jean-Paul Sartre, J.D. Salinger, Jack Kerouac, George Orwell, Friedrich Nietzsche, Henrik Ibsen, Jorge Luis Borges, Virginia Woolf, Chinua Achebe, Robert Louis Stevenson, Carlos Castaneda, Guillermo Cabrera Infante, William Shakespeare, Paul Auster, Kurt Vonnegut, Franz Kafka etc. etc.

• 2 months later...

I liked the books of Erich Von Daniken. His books are non-fiction. Some of the books that I read by him was Gold of the Gods and Chariots of the Gods Was God an Astronaut?

Ei don't get me wrong I do believe that there is God and definitely he's not an astronaut. It's just that when I was younger I liked to read these kinds of books. So there it goes... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you to the poster who said it took him 2 months to get to page 12 of Foucault's Pendulum. That was completely funny and totally relatable. I once tried to read that alongside Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and a concise history of the crusades which was by no means concise.

Though I do like reading Umberto Eco, if I had to name just one author it would have to be Tolkien.

I started reading Anne Rice - the first five books of her vampire articles is such a sensual read. Unfortunately, it started going down hill from there. Went on to read Clancy, then Tolkien and Robert Jordan. Tried reading the blockbusters of the last couple of years (Dan Brown, Stephenie Meyer, and Rowling), and unfortunately, found them far behind the talent of those earlier authors - except for Rowling who I must admit wasn't that completely bad.

Looking forward to read a work by a new writer who can hold a candle to the oldies when it comes to story-telling.

• 3 months later...