How Can I Quit Smoking?

Perhaps the broken promise of a lady friend, who used to be my smoking buddy (and wine buddy), to come back after one year of study abroad also helped strengthen my resolve to quit smoking. I thought it was one way of expressing my disappointment with her.

Although working abroad in a high-paying job, we're in good terms again and even dated twice since last year when she came on brief visits to Manila. But I never got back to smoking while she continued to do so. Of course, I didn't tell her she was part of the reason why I kicked the habit.

Edited by blow_gobi
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Study shows that ABRUPT STOPPAGE of smoking is more effective than the TAPERING TECHNIQUE (gradual decrease of cigarette consumption). You will experience withdrawal symptoms as a result of nicotine addiction, but the effect is more permanent than that of the tapering technique. I agree with most of the post here that you need a lot of determination if you really want to quit smoking.

• 4 weeks later...

cigarette addiction is all in your mind. i smoke, but not regularly.. during my last year in college until board exam review i used to smoke 1 pack (20 sticks) a day of marlboro black. when i got my first job, it was reduced to 5-10 sticks a day. after i quit my first job i went back to 20 sticks a day. when i got my girlfriend, i completely stopped for 2 years. then we broke up, still did not smoke. and when i got my third job, i think i smoked 4 sticks a month.

in short, i can control my cig intake. i did not ever encounter cig cravings or "paglalaway" stuff. giving me the idea that it's all in your head.

to quit, set your mind to not smoking. that's it. don't think of the pro's and the cons - that's a waste of time. just move on with your life and do things you normally do WITHOUT cigs in between your fingers. ayt?

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading the post makes me shiver... Im just curious kun ano mararamdaman ko pg ng quit ako smoking.. reading them already makes me feel uneasy and a light shiver is already kicking in... i think id die with out cigz... to think im just only 23 yrs old been smoking for 8yrs. at 1pack a day.. even though may ubo sipon o sakit ako nde ko mapigilan wag mg yosi.. you'll think going to a psych would help? my mind rejects any idea of quitting.. but a part of me like to quit!! darn i think i need professional help!!!

I was reading this thread when i surprisingly backread a previous post of mine.. After 3years my mind is starting to accept the fact of trying to quit smoking.. i havent had a cig for 6days now. It is hard.. so freaking hard.. My eyes are blood red i cant sleep at night im agitated always i cant seem to focus.. 12yrs of smoking and im only 27 with 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day.. Im finding my inspiration and motivation to quit smoking and right now ive found the perfect excuse. My son who has weak tolerance to smoke dust, my son who always has cough and flu, my son whos only 2yrs old whom told me before "dadi stop yosi bad yan" Im trying my best to get a grip of myself and remain sane while fighting all the withdrawal syndromes.. Im now at day 6.. I hope a few months id get to backread this thread again and post to share my success in quitting smoking..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It just happened. Knowing how my lungs are slowly getting weaker by the minute made me realize that I have to quit smoking. NOW. When I get the urge to smoke especially when I am stressed, I think of all the times that I was unable to breathe well that I was rushed to the ER because my lips were becoming blue. And reliving that feeling makes me want to never touch a cancer stick again.

I have stopped smoking for 15 days now.

Primary Reason: Got runny nose/ stuffed nose for almost the entire December 2011, add to that the frequent mild headaches, i suspected it to be sinusitis.

then, one time during one of our drinking sessions, one guy shared this story about the husband of Camille Pratts who died of sinus cancer

well, the story kind of hit me and got me imagining that I could also die that way because of the ill symptoms i was feeling.

The next day, I consulted a doctor. Doc gave me some meds to take.

And reminded me of the stuff that I cannot do anymore, no.1 in that list is the smoking.

I am also doing workouts now and some dieting.

To improve my over-all health.

I still plan to live longer as I can.

I do not want to die young.

I told my friends that I am trying to quit smoking now, but I still drink.

Whenever I feel the craving, hell, I just think of myself dying already if I smoke again.

I am avoiding the places where I use to smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

TAMA ISIP LANG ANG PINAKASAGOT SA LAHAT NG GUSTO NATIN PAG GINUSTO MO MARAMI PARAAN , PAG AYAW MARAMING DAHILAN.. Kaya ako gusto ko pang mabuhay ng matagal titigilan ko na ang paninigarilyp kung ako sa inyo payong kaibigan lang .... Have faith to urself na dati hindi ka nmn nagyoyosi diba eh kaya mo rin na wala talaga ang yosi sa buhay mo ...... Para sa pamilya mo at para sa mga mahal mo sa buhay at lalong lalo na para sa SARILI mo... Health is Wealth..... cheerssss... RRJEC

• 1 month later...

Share ko lng yng experience ko:

Ive quit smoking for about 1 1/2 months now.

Nag umpisa to nung may naramdaman akong sakit sa likod and right side ng ribs ko.

Bigla din siya kumalat sa may chest area at medyo nahihirapan akong huminga.

Sobrang kinabahan talaga ako nun.

That's when I decided to quit smoking.

At first sobrang hirap. Abrupt kasi yng pag quit ko hindi gradual.

Sa first week, di muna ako gumimik or nakipag inuman sa friends ko.

Mahirap kasi mag quit pag umiinom ka ng alak (For me laging partner ng inom yng yosi)

Everytime may craving akong mag yosi, kain lng ako ng candy, chewing gum, etc.

Naisip ko rin yng e-cigarette kaso alam ko hindi siya healthy alternative.

Sa ngayon medyo ok na. Although meron pa rin craving ng konti.

Hopefully tuloy tuloy na siya.

Dami rin ako napansin na improvements sa katawan ko after ko mag Quit ng yosi.

1. Di na ako sinisipon at inuubo.

2. Nawala na din yng sakit ng likod ko

3. Nakaka 3 games straight na ako sa basketball (compared dati na 1 game pa lng hingal na hingal na)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...