Computers: Frequently Asked Questions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

which one is more costly, buying a desktop as a whole or chop chop parts? what's the pros and cons between the two? It's just because im Philippine bound in a few weeks and I need a computer for my job and also games, like starcraft 2. hehe. thanks!! :)

Edited by doovllaah

matanong ko lang po. i needed to replace my hdd on my hp laptop. kaya bumili ako ng 2.5 samsung hdd sata online. pero nung buksan ko yung laptop para palitan na yung original fujitsu hdd, maiksi yung lenght ng samsung hdd, hindi sya umabot para magdikit yung mga connectors. is this SATA1 po ba or SATA2? paano ko po ba malalaman kung sata1 or 2 na yung hdd. sadya po bang mas mahaba yung isa sa 1 or 2? thanks....

matanong ko lang po. i needed to replace my hdd on my hp laptop. kaya bumili ako ng 2.5 samsung hdd sata online. pero nung buksan ko yung laptop para palitan na yung original fujitsu hdd, maiksi yung lenght ng samsung hdd, hindi sya umabot para magdikit yung mga connectors. is this SATA1 po ba or SATA2? paano ko po ba malalaman kung sata1 or 2 na yung hdd. sadya po bang mas mahaba yung isa sa 1 or 2? thanks....

problem solved! just found out na kaya pala mahaba yung original hdd ng laptop ko, may nakakabit palang sata connector. hinugot ko lang then transfered it sa new hdd.. ok na po. thanks for reading.

MTC,

The commonly most used feed there is DSL, right? Then you guys use broadband modems for going mobile? What if there is part of the city that's out of its coverage area or DSL just doesn't extend to the outskirts? Is it common to establish a signal with a satellite hookup? I haven't really seen a household or business around Manila with a dish that supplies a network. I know it often rains there especially with typhoon season several months out of the year but was wondering how inclement the weather would get to hinder the signal.

What were other alternatives other than DSL service does everyone use?

I think there is a ISP here in RP using satellite facility but mostly installed in rural/remote area. It was already existing more than five years ago even before smart bro or globe tatoo and even before DSL became common to household in metro manila.

Sorry for OT

Just a warning...about a month ago I had my PC repaired and cleaned in that building beside PNB.

They changed the CPU Fan and i requested also for them to clean the inside of the CPU. Upon

getting home i noticed my computer really slowing down. To my horror a part was missing.

Instead of 1Gig or RAM it was only 500MB of RAM. The guy who cleaned my computer also took

and changed my RAM....Lesson learned never leave your computer while in service

which one is more costly, buying a desktop as a whole or chop chop parts? what's the pros and cons between the two? It's just because im Philippine bound in a few weeks and I need a computer for my job and also games, like starcraft 2. hehe. thanks!! :)

It really depends.

If you're a DIY guy like me who enjoy the thrill of putting together your own rig then i suggest you buy your PC components piece by piece. The only downside to it (in my opinion) is i only get the warranties of each individual component and not the PC as a whole as opposed to an off-the-shelf, pre-built and branded rig. Some companies do offer extended warranties though. The great part about putting together your own rig is that YOU control what you put in your system. If you know what you need and if you canvas parts before you buy, it may be a lot cheaper than buying a pre-built rig. If you do buy pre-built rigs from well known manufacturers like Alienware, Dell, Asus, etc. you also pay extra for the brand. (Don't buy those unbranded 25K rigs, they usually contain cheap parts...read: not good for gaming).

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends.

If you're a DIY guy like me who enjoy the thrill of putting together your own rig then i suggest you buy your PC components piece by piece. The only downside to it (in my opinion) is i only get the warranties of each individual component and not the PC as a whole as opposed to an off-the-shelf, pre-built and branded rig. Some companies do offer extended warranties though. The great part about putting together your own rig is that YOU control what you put in your system. If you know what you need and if you canvas parts before you buy, it may be a lot cheaper than buying a pre-built rig. If you do buy pre-built rigs from well known manufacturers like Alienware, Dell, Asus, etc. you also pay extra for the brand. (Don't buy those unbranded 25K rigs, they usually contain cheap parts...read: not good for gaming).

i really dont have any idea regarding computers. but im planning to buy one anytime soon. i just want a decent computer where i could type, surf and do some paper stuffs. and even play games such as starcraft 2. could anyone give me a specific specs and the price it would cost me?

by the way, i heard there are decent computers that would range from 15 to 20 thou pesos. im thinking that will also be my budget. :D

i really dont have any idea regarding computers. but im planning to buy one anytime soon. i just want a decent computer where i could type, surf and do some paper stuffs. and even play games such as starcraft 2. could anyone give me a specific specs and the price it would cost me?

by the way, i heard there are decent computers that would range from 15 to 20 thou pesos. im thinking that will also be my budget. :D

a simple gaming pc set up

go intel = i3 540, asrock H55M-LE, OCZ stealth stream II 500w, WD Blue 500 GB, GTS 450 1gb vid card, 4gb ram ddr3, stock cooler, generic casing, LG 15.5 wide screen monitor. hmm around 24k, use your old monitor should be arround 19k ( budgetary estimate, could be cheapper in actual market)

go AMD = Athlon II x4 640, Asus™ M4A87TD/USB3, Oczstealth stream II 500w, WD Blue 500gb, Hd 56701gb vid card, 4gb ram ddr3, stock cooler, generic casing. hmm also arround 19k, a plus is mobo supports sata 3 and usb 3, again just a budgetary estimate.

I built my own pc from parts bought from several suppliers, it is fullfilling and satisfiying if you are able to assemble a good working unit. An advantage is that you get to choose your parts, casings, cooling system, psu, etc etc. The ultimate joy to this is it will be "your" pc, customizing detailing and modding is totally up to you. Which is cheaper? I would say almost equal if you know your suppliers. Con, hmm if you don't know what are you doing, stop and let technicians do it for you.

My Set up cost me arround 35k, i had the same spec quoted it came to arround 45k. I guess my palenke skill paid off^^.

Edited by PanPizza2

Hi guys, i got a problem with desktop... I have a palit gf 210 video card which i bought at pcg caloocan, now my problem is, after installing the driver then restarting. my desktop freeze after 5-10 seconds after logging in. Right now im using my vc without its driver, its just a common vga. What seems to be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, i got a problem with desktop... I have a palit gf 210 video card which i bought at pcg caloocan, now my problem is, after installing the driver then restarting. my desktop freeze after 5-10 seconds after logging in. Right now im using my vc without its driver, its just a common vga. What seems to be the problem?

we have the same vid card. hmm, try updating the driver from the NVIDIA site. the CD that comes with the card is usually outdated and the latest drivers and fixes are always available in their website. hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Boss update mo lang video card driver mo baka di match yung vid driver doon sa current card mo....

• 2 weeks later...

just like to ask... the other day natapunan ng konting tubig kepad ng laptop ko sa may cursor side. mga 1 tablespoon kasi nahabol ko yung baso. at first nagkaka problem sa keys but right now ok naman na siya. ask ko lang if pwede ko pa diagnose kasi may warranty pa naman. (di ko lang sasabihin nabasa) hehehe... what do you think might happen next? thank you and happy weekend!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...