Computers: Frequently Asked Questions

I'm sorry to bother you with this but I don't know anyone else whom I can ask for advice. I want to buy my brother a laptop and he wants a quad core one. I searched for it's price on net and it's around 80-100K and my budget is only around 50K. My sister suggested to buy a dual core instead of the quad core. What's the difference between these two (except of course dual is 2 and quad is 4). And is it really a necessity to buy this quad-core thing for a computer engineering student as my brother implied to me?

I'm sorry to bother you with this but I don't know anyone else whom I can ask for advice. I want to buy my brother a laptop and he wants a quad core one. I searched for it's price on net and it's around 80-100K and my budget is only around 50K. My sister suggested to buy a dual core instead of the quad core. What's the difference between these two (except of course dual is 2 and quad is 4). And is it really a necessity to buy this quad-core thing for a computer engineering student as my brother implied to me?

your budget(50K) is more than enough, I'm an Engr. your brother does'nt need fancy pc, core 2 with 4gigs ram will do but buying him a pc is a must....IMHO

Edited by direstraits94
  • 2 weeks later...

mga bro, ano bang marerecommend nyo laptop na pinakamalaki ang screen at "medyo" affordable. any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

I suggest that you buy Acer Aspire which is very affordable. It has a 14.1" screen. Most laptops kasi with 15.6" screens are expensive. 

san makakabili ng mother board with two processor slot nid ko kc para mabilis ang editing ko at pagwa ng mga ids

Ang alam ko lang (correct me if i'm wrong) na mga motherboard na may slot para sa dalawang physical CPU ay yung pang server (i.e. Intel Xeon)...it's not easy finding them on mainstream computer shops. And you don't need those, prohibitively expensive kasi. Just go for boards that can support Core i5's or i7's (if you're an intel guy) or boards that support AMD phenom II's. Kung editing lang at paggawa ng layout ng id gagawin mo overkill na ang Quad-Core CPU.

Dagdag lang....

You mentioned that your brother is an engineering student right? Go for the Quad Core. I'm assuming they will be taught to use AutoCAD. This program can really bring a CPU to it's knees. AutoCAD is designed for multi-core processors, the more cores the better the performance. If you can't find a good Quad-Core laptop at your 50K range, get the best Core 2 Duo or Core i3 based laptop you can get. Don't look at the price of the laptop to determine the power of the cpu. I've seen cheap laptops with more powerful cpu's than their expensive counterparts.

• 2 weeks later...

kung heavy rendering like maya or 3ds...whats the best specs for a budget laptop or if not somewhere in the middle,baka lang meron tnx

I guess:

- Core 2 Duo CPU or AMD equivalent CPU will do

- 4 GB RAM (2GB minimum)

- 256MB discrete video card (128 minimum)

... that may be a Macbook Pro laptop... :rolleyes:

I guess:

- Core 2 Duo CPU or AMD equivalent CPU will do

- 4 GB RAM (2GB minimum)

- 256MB discrete video card (128 minimum)

... that may be a Macbook Pro laptop... :rolleyes:

Not necessarily a macbook pro. An ordinary macbook already has these specs. Macbook pros will have the Intel i series as processors.

Not necessarily a macbook pro. An ordinary macbook already has these specs. Macbook pros will have the Intel i series as processors.

cant i have a pc instead, i mean other laptops that is similar to mac maybe just cheaper? tia!

ive been looking but im not sure which is more reliable in the sense of not breaking down on me

My laptop's batteries are giving out...any suggestions on how to get a new one or is there any other alternative?

I suggest that you buy a new battery for your laptop. Choose a 9-cell battery instead of the 6-cell. The more cells a battery contains, the more capacity a battery has and the more working hours it has. Besides the price difference between a 9-cell and 6-cell is not that big. So i suggest go for 9-cell.

mas okie ngaun ung i5 at i7, may turboboost xa. kumbaga ung bilis ng processor mas natataasan nya. den kya nitong bumaba ung konsumo ng kuryente dahil sa tandby mode nito n kya nyang mg 2watts lng kpg di gngmit. tipid sa kuryente, di ba. den di rin need nito ng mataas n memory. ung memory pra rin lng sa virtualization. if 3d application need u ng video cards. sana makatulong

proc: Intel Core i7-920 (2.66G) 8mb LGA1366 P13620

mobo: ECS X58B-A2 X58/ddr3/pcie/S/GL P7750

dvd drive: Lite-On 24x IHAS-424/224 sata L.Scribe P1330

ram: Corsair 4GB XMS3 1333 (2ddr3 x2) P8320

hard disk: 500gb Western Digital SATA P2340

keyboard: P350

mouse: P350

casing: P2000

power supply: CMaster M600 Silent Pro 600w modula P5410

total amount: P48.430

patulong naman po para sa magandang build, gagamitin pang photo/video editing.

para ma plano budget.

thanks sa mga magrereply

PROCESSOR: AMD AM3 ATHLON X4 630 2.80GHZ 4,700

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H VGA512MAX /FIREWIRE 3,900

-4 RAM lanes on a micro ATX.

-onboard HDMI.

-ESATA!!!!!!!!

-ATI 4200 was competitive with the 7600GT.

MEMORY: 2GB DDR3 PC10600/1333 x4 2,150ea 8,600

HARD DISK:

OS & APPZ: WESTERN 500GB 7200 SATA 2,150

DATA STORAGE: WESTERN 1TB 7200 SATA 3,450

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG DVDRW LIGHTSCRIBE 22X SATA ( GH22LS50 ) 1,300

POWER SUPPLY: GIGABYTE SUPERB 550W 2,600

VIDEOCARD: SAPPHIRE HD4670 1GB DDR3/128BIT 3,600**

MONITOR: CHIMEI 23.6" 24EA/H WIDE LCD 8,650*

TOTAL P38,950

Note:

* In video editing more viewable / working space the better or simple put 2 (two) 18" monitor.

** ATI CrossFire (also known as CrossFireX) is a brand name for ATI Technologies' multi-GPU solution. This technology used to improve graphics performance.

Price referrence: http://www.enigma-phil.com.ph/Files/Pricelist.pdf

I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with this computer. I mean, who wouldn't? Look at its specs:

-Intel® Core i5-450M dual-core with Turbo Boost [up to 2.66GHz, 3MB shared L3, DMI 2.5GT/s]

-4GB DDR3-1066MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs]

-1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

-512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210

-23" Full HD touchscreen with 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution

-Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

-sleek, piano-black finish with chrome accents

-Internal antennas for 802.11 Wi-Fi1 and Bluetooth

-slot-loading DVD drive (or upgrade to a Blu-ray player7)

-6-in-1 digital media card reader

-Integrated premium stereo speakers

-built-in, adjustable-tilt webcam and mic

-adjustable base

-wireless keyboard and mouse

-removable feet for wall mounting

**In my opinion, it beats the latest Apple iMac in every respect, even in the looks department! Question is, is it already here in the Phils? I've gone the rounds of computer shops in Greenhills, and by the looks of it, it still isn't. Anyone in the PC industry here know when it arrives?

post-67107-037763400 1278873314.jpg

post-67107-082908500 1278873327.jpg