Motorcycles and Scooters

5 hours ago, RiverHorse said:

What progression would experts recommend if I want an expressway legal bike as the end state. I'm mid 40's, short (5'4") and obese (120kg) with no motorcycle experience but average mountain bike and bike commuting skills. Plan to enroll at the Honda school. Thinking of starting with a Vespa then upgrading to a Rebel.

My friends started in automatic then switched to manual, 125cc

Ako naman, I started to practice sa Tricycle since I was a kid kaya nasanay kung paano gamitin yung clutch and gas.

But I strongly suggest go to driving school muna para magka idea ka din sa mga basics to advance techniques. 

• Winner! (+1) 1
6 hours ago, RiverHorse said:

What progression would experts recommend if I want an expressway legal bike as the end state. I'm mid 40's, short (5'4") and obese (120kg) with no motorcycle experience but average mountain bike and bike commuting skills. Plan to enroll at the Honda school. Thinking of starting with a Vespa then upgrading to a Rebel.

Here's my winded suggestion - you have two options: start straight on a manual, or with scooters. Starting with scooters is the steady but more expensive route. Scooters are easier to start on since you'll only be managing throttle, brakes, direction and the traffic around you. It's also easier to maneuver around town and driveways because of its size. Cheap to operate and maintain too. Downside is you will have to learn to use a manual motorcycle at some point, so that's another purchase (or at least another phase in case you can borrow a manual to learn on). You can of course go straight to the Rebel you want, but I can't really recommend doing that. SCOOTER > INTERIM MANUAL > REBEL

The 2nd option is to skip the scooter part, and start on a small manual bike. Starting on a manual is the cheaper, but might have a slower progression option. This heavily depends on how comfortable you are with motorcycles tho. In addition to the things above, you'll also be managing a clutch, a gear lever and the rear brake gets transferred on your right foot. You're literally using all 4 limbs on a manual. If all of that sounds hazy to you, then this option is a no-go. Although, If you have a place to practice (a subdivision or parking lots), or a friend with a manual, this might actually be viable option for you. You just need to build your skills before going out on the public road. MANUAL > REBEL

There are also 400cc+ scooters nowadays. You might want to check those too.

Enrolling in Honda is not a bad idea, you get taught and also will be able to experience both manual and scooter. You might also get a chance to ride a 400cc+ bike there.

• Winner! (+1) 1
On 8/8/2022 at 12:33 AM, pjay said:

Here's my winded suggestion - you have two options: start straight on a manual, or with scooters. Starting with scooters is the steady but more expensive route. Scooters are easier to start on since you'll only be managing throttle, brakes, direction and the traffic around you. It's also easier to maneuver around town and driveways because of its size. Cheap to operate and maintain too. Downside is you will have to learn to use a manual motorcycle at some point, so that's another purchase (or at least another phase in case you can borrow a manual to learn on). You can of course go straight to the Rebel you want, but I can't really recommend doing that. SCOOTER > INTERIM MANUAL > REBEL

The 2nd option is to skip the scooter part, and start on a small manual bike. Starting on a manual is the cheaper, but might have a slower progression option. This heavily depends on how comfortable you are with motorcycles tho. In addition to the things above, you'll also be managing a clutch, a gear lever and the rear brake gets transferred on your right foot. You're literally using all 4 limbs on a manual. If all of that sounds hazy to you, then this option is a no-go. Although, If you have a place to practice (a subdivision or parking lots), or a friend with a manual, this might actually be viable option for you. You just need to build your skills before going out on the public road. MANUAL > REBEL

Enrolling in Honda is not a bad idea, you get taught and also will be able to experience both manual and scooter. You might also get a chance to ride a 400cc+ bike there.

Nice Input

On 8/8/2022 at 12:33 AM, pjay said:

Imho, starting with Honda Riding School is the best way.  You are exposed to both automatic scooter and manual motorcycle.  It's best that you inform the Honda Riding school before hand that you want to be proficient in using both types of motorcycle so they can give you additional classes if needed.  Pre-pandemic, we require all of our riders - including experienced ones to enroll at Honda - at company expense (tuition+allownce+salary), and we waited for positive feedback from Honda before accepting them as regular riders.  Although we feel some job applicants abused this privilege, we feel it's worth it in terms of less accidents, and we feel more secure when we pillion ride.  

Edited by johnlove
On 6/16/2022 at 11:10 PM, galatep said:

Any reco for inline 4 400cc?

On 6/29/2022 at 3:04 AM, Dondi09 said:

Super4

Problem is, wala atang nirelease na latest super4 dito sa pinas. Karamihan sa nakikita kong super4 sa kalsada mga luma na. Talon kana sa CB650R kung gusto mo talaga ng machong tunog ng inline4.

1 hour ago, Puta Hamnida said:

Problem is, wala atang nirelease na latest super4 dito sa pinas. Karamihan sa nakikita kong super4 sa kalsada mga luma na. Talon kana sa CB650R kung gusto mo talaga ng machong tunog ng inline4.

Meron yata store sa Makati sir. Forgot the name. Bnew units, imported yata kaya parang mas mahal pa sya sa Cb650r

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

used to own a PX150 from veloci motors 62.5k lang a brand new noon at may 24 months to pay pa bec. wala pumapansin noon sa Vespa . sadly bec I got bumped by a PUV jeep and was ask not to ride anymore by my family . 

Brief description sa Px 150
     Pinasco 180 cc block and piston ( wanted a Malossi mas malakas kasi but because of 1 piston ring configuration siya pang racing  siya at di tatagal . but for long term uses mas matibay ang Pinascoo albeit less power naman)

Full circle crank 

Reed valve 

Front dics brake by Grimeca 

Delorto carb 28 mm nawala yun auto-mix

Brigestone Battlax tires 

Ported and polish 

Modified clutch lining ( home brewed) and welded clutch basket 

S I P tuned muffler ( nawala din reserve tire ) 

Daytona adjustable spring and shocks front and rear

Gas octane was bump up via Aviation gas para iwas spark plug fouling 

Wish list ko 

regear sa final gear either pang touring or track use 

Malossi piston and block 

Bitubo shocks 

water-cooled engine block 

Steering damper 

All this mod was done around year 98 to 2000  outside appearance remain bone stock but dead giveaway na modified yun engine was the rhythm of the idling and when it scream at higher rpm .

I frequent Infanta or Real Quezon halos every sunday , Sorry sa mga naka Dio or Jog or topboy or jet 100 na nag seize yun engine nila bec. of sustain high RPM pero not all .  ang matindi kalaban ko lang are modified Beta Ark  . Gilera runner . stock shark 150 4 stroke lakas sa rectahan. 

Just want to share.

Eyeing primarily on the Cruiser types, specifically Bristol Bobber 650. The MC that got me interested in leisure riding recently. Next is the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (w/ ABS), but slightly expensive than the Bristol. The only problem w/ Bristol bobber 650 is "metal meets road" when banking (a.k.a. sumasayad). 

Also, adventure bikes got my interest as well. Bristol Venturi 500 vs Benelli TRK 502x vs Kawasaki Versys 650. 

Nevertheless, Bobber 650 in Matte Black is still on top of my wish list. 

Non-negotiable is I'm not buying these "brand new". Either through FB Marketplace, Demo units from dealers (1st owner on papers), or repo. Just making sure it's decent looking and well maintained. 

Wishing before Lenten or Summer next year, I already have my first bike. 

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.