Engine Oil - All About It

• 1 month later...

I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic and it is really a great lubricant and dirt detergent. It is rated to keep its lubricating action far longer under worse conditions than the best non-synthetic. But the engine might get damaged because of smug or dirt that the oil is able to remove. If you have just shifted to synthetic, it will most likely remove even the toughest left over dirt inside the engine making the oil thick and color cloudy. The trick is to change oil filers when the oil becomes dirty or use a larger one if you got a choice.

After using it longer, you would notice that it will not change color as quickly, maybe since your engine is cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shell Rimula (R4) 15W40 for BOTH my gasoline and diesel engines.

The gas station mechanics grumble about apocalyptic engine damage as I order them to pour in the Rimula diesel engine oil for my mutivalve gasoline engine. But said Rimula oil is rated CH-4/SL, which well exceeds the rating needs of the gas engine even though it's 30% cheaper. And I am an engineer, immune to marketing and auto suggestion crap that the engine runs smoother with this or that more pricey stuff

Baloney - if the oil meets the API engine ratings, and is from a reputable company, use it.

LC

well said sir. as a former shell guy you are right on the API rating. many oils in the market have both S ( for spark or gasoline ) and C ( for compression or diesel ) A{I ratings.

what do these letters mean ? an SB rated oil is better than and SA oil and a CB oil is better than a CA oil. right now we're pretty much advanced as we are now in CH / SL territories as oil companies like shell continue to develop higher quality engine oils to meet the standards of engine manufacturers.

but just a bit of clarification ... rimula was developed primarily as a diesel engine oil which can also be used for SL rated gas engines.helix ( the gas version) is primarily a gasoline engine oil which can also be used for diesel engines.The diff is that lies diesel engine oils have more detergents ( you read that right) that clean your engines as diesel is a "dirtier"fuel and produces more engine deposits than gasoline.

with that said ... will using rimula in a gas engine be harmful ? no . will it be better to use a gas engine oil like helix in a gas engine car ? yes. just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 1

how to save money when changing oil:

1) know the engine oil API grade specified to your engine. If its says CH then compare the price of all API CH rated oils you can choose from. then choose the lowest.

2) Buying a higher rated oil than the one specified to your engine is a waste of money.

3) synthetic oils are better than regular mineral oils because they resist molecular "breakdown" and protect longer than mineral based oils. this said ... you may opt to extend the change oil interval at least twice ( from 5k to 10 k).if you use synthetic oil and still change every 5 k ... its a waste of money.

when i was with shell ...i put in synthetic oil into my car. prior to changing oil ... i had a small oil sample drawn from my engine regularly ( adding in an equal amt into the engine of course to maintain the reco oil levels ). I had the oil samples tested in the shell labs to see if the oil still "worked". to make the long story short ... the single synthetic oil change lasted me for 20,000 km before the lab advised me to have it replaced.

4) DO NOT USE ADDITIVES. engine oils are alredy formulated to provide the optimum engine protection. additives change the oil's formulation ... which may actually lead to LESS protection for your engine.

hope this helps :-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using KENDALL 10W-30 for about 2 years now. This was recommended by the guy helping me maintain my car. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Although it's relatively unknown, but it's just a bit cheaper than the more popular brands.

My problem now is the place where I used to get this has stopped ordering/stocking up on this. I'm down to my last 4 bottles (1 liter), which is just enough for 1 oil change.

I am hoping that someone here knows another supplier of KENDALL motor oils. :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

how to save money when changing oil:

1) know the engine oil API grade specified to your engine. If its says CH then compare the price of all API CH rated oils you can choose from. then choose the lowest.

2) Buying a higher rated oil than the one specified to your engine is a waste of money.

3) synthetic oils are better than regular mineral oils because they resist molecular "breakdown" and protect longer than mineral based oils. this said ... you may opt to extend the change oil interval at least twice ( from 5k to 10 k).if you use synthetic oil and still change every 5 k ... its a waste of money.

when i was with shell ...i put in synthetic oil into my car. prior to changing oil ... i had a small oil sample drawn from my engine regularly ( adding in an equal amt into the engine of course to maintain the reco oil levels ). I had the oil samples tested in the shell labs to see if the oil still "worked". to make the long story short ... the single synthetic oil change lasted me for 20,000 km before the lab advised me to have it replaced.

4) DO NOT USE ADDITIVES. engine oils are alredy formulated to provide the optimum engine protection. additives change the oil's formulation ... which may actually lead to LESS protection for your engine.

hope this helps :-)

Would you agree that with API rating of CI-4, you can do a 10k change oil interval for mineral, semi-synth & fully synth oils?

• 5 months later...