Engine Oil - All About It

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think it depends on you.. but most of the time, after every X number of km's or X number or months :D

for me, nagpapa change oil ako every 5000 kms :D

though minsan, di ako nagpapa-abot ng 5000 kms if i have been driving frequently than usual..

Oil change – when?

Owner's manual give recommendations for oil and filter changes. These figures vary anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 miles.This is why “oil change” is termed to be an inexact science.

A prudent estimate that you can consider for oil change would be to do so every 5,000 miles. With a 5000 mile interval between changes, you can make optimum use of your engine without in any way impeding its performance or diminishing it life.However this estimate of 5000 miles is dependent on the way you drive.

You ought to seriously reconsider this bar of 5000 miles if your driving entails some of the following patterns:

* Abrupt starts, heavy acceleration and/or high-speed driving. This includes what is called rash driving

* You live or drive in extreme climates.

* You drive on dirt roads

* Your engine is old and burns oil

* You carry heavy loads or your car is always jam packed

These driving patterns would warrant that you change oil more frequently.

para di off-topic, i use valvoline.. just can't remember the exact name :lol:

Edited by Pipe
  • 3 months later...

how often do we need to perform engine oil flush? every oil change?

some mechanics don't advise engine oil flush bro, sabi nila mas masama daw...

any comments regarding this??

before i used to include engine oil flush dati pero tinigil ko because i changed my oil change center, nag SHELL na ako sa may MINDANAO AVENUE...

Engine oil flush fluids can be harmful to your engine if its not properly drained away. The additives and detergents in those products can alter the viscosity of the oil the you put in after flushing, thus shortening the oil's life if not the engine components itself.

My advice (and I'm doin this myself), use normal mineral oil (like normal Delo or Helix) to flush away the used oil. I usually do it twice (i know magastos). After doing this, its your choice of using mineral still, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic.

my shop put motul synthetic crdi on my montero, sabi niya with synthetic imbis na every 5K KM, every 10K pwede sa synthetic, any comments?

This is true, fully synthetic oils (any brand) has an almost double life expectancy. Think of it this way, Mineral Oil = 5,000 Kms ; Semi-Synthetic = 7,500 Kms ; Fully Synthetic = 10,000 Kms

This is true, fully synthetic oils (any brand) has an almost double life expectancy. Think of it this way, Mineral Oil = 5,000 Kms ; Semi-Synthetic = 7,500 Kms ; Fully Synthetic = 10,000 Kms

I believe so.

The cost would compensate for the hassle in having the regular 5k oil change

• 1 month later...