Career Choices: Money Or Passion?

if it is not for passion career might be a cross to bear

and it is very hard to be excellent in a thing that you

don't enjoy. therefore, less money will be the result

of it. passion is the fire that keeps you going and

finances will surely follow along the way.

Based on the law of compounding interest, I believe that it is best to earn and invest my money now while I am young.

I will then pursuit my passions after I have the finances to do so.

But I envy those people whose passions coincide with earning a living (and getting a lot of money at that).

There are 2 opposite scenarios I am seeing here.

1st: Your passion coincides with earning good money.

2nd: Good money is too far from reality when pursuing your passion alone.

There are 3 types of situations when to pursue what, in my perspective.

1. Very lucky you are if it boils down to the first option - You don't have to make any choice at all.

2. If your passion doesn't at all give you good earnings (reality check) - or not even a yardstick near to what is needed to support your needs and your family, plus you belong to the not so fortunate class of the society, then think twice my dear. better to be practical, and maybe pursue your passion if you have the resources already.

3. If you are the rich-guy-next-door type, who, is luckily blessed. Then its a wise decision to pursue your passion. After all, you have the resources to support it. and eventually make it grow.

Anyway, just my two cents. peace.

Hope this helps though. ;)

I replied to this post 2 years ago... still on Passion. But i've found out I have to balance two ideas: Passion comes first. But money is priority. (since I need it to pursue my passion)

It gets hard at times. Pursuing my passion makes me a fool, but if I pursued money first - I knew I'd be a liar.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Well said...@buffallosoldier09, looking at the current econmic meltdown.. retrenchments, redunduncies, re-structuring, lay offs etc..etc.. I doubt it if passion is a practical option for those less fortunate.

This is true. But it's also true that if you really are passionate about something, you will do whatever you can to fulfill it.

Some say that your passion also won't become as enjoyable if it becomes your daily work.

I guess bottom line is there should be a balance for everything. And passion does not only applies to jobs. It's supposed to be for everything you do that would be beneficial for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I believe that if you pursue your passion, the $$$ will just flow naturally.

i believe in this. 5 years ago i based my career decision on passion. i opted to join a small filipino company doing what i wanted to do and rejected an offer from a global giant because the global company wanted me to do something that's not an interest of mine. it wasnt a very financially rewarding decision initially, however, the $$$ inflow have becoming progressively significant since i left the company about a 1.5 yrs after, i have since moved to multinationals doing the thing that i want to do.

• 3 weeks later...