Career Choices: Money Or Passion?

• 2 weeks later...

pag nag-uumpisa talaga, passion, nandun pa kc strong idealism

pero as you age, nagiging money na

paano, one begins to realize that passion doesn't pays the bills

ganda talaga yung you make money out of the thing you are passionate

about - pero in the real world, bihira yata ganun.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
for an IT professional like me, important ang passion sa trabaho especially if you're only starting out. pero as time goes by and your experience grows, kelangan tingnan mo rin ung money na involved. iba rin ung may work-life balance + great compensation.

yup...

and im transitioning to that direction also. :D

If you're asking yourself this question, e.g. you're recently done with school and / or early into a career, my unsolicited advice is to think hard about what your aptitudes are, what you're interested in doing, then assess the economic possibilities in it. What's the future for going up the food chain, whether as an employee or entrepreneur, how much money do you want to make, what kind of a lifestyle do you want to live?

I never thought about these things enough when i was younger, just went with the flow although all my earlier jobs were within my field of aptitudes and interests. I spent years in the nonprofit oriented sector before consciously deciding to get into the profit sector. It was a difficult but productive transition. But i wish i'd been able to embark in that direction much sooner.

The thing is, if you do this process of triangulation for yourself, it's easier to set goals (whether or not they're met or even exceeded is not as important as having a point of aim), and you can make more deliberate decisions on what work to look for, what you want to do.

Also, from experience, if you want to set up your own business, it's good to have some professional experience in a good outfit (like a big corporation) so you have exposure to organizational concepts, disciplines and systems.

• 2 months later...