The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Never Let Me Go (2010)

It's an adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's novel (same name) published in 2005. It casts Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garland, and Keira Knightley as the main stars.

i'd never thought I'd be so moved and stuck at the same time by a movie. Moved because the way the emotions were shown in the movie was heartbreaking; stuck because the film has the capability to make you dwell on what you've done with your life and reflect about your past. The entire film's food for thought. If you're looking for a film filled with action and wham bam results, then this is not for you. It's the sort of movie that builds up on you, creeps up on you and catches you unaware, and leaves you hanging.

Watch it, and let me know what you think about it? :)

• 2 weeks later...

so glad i had not eaten a big meal going into Prometheus. i expected a lot, and visually, it did not disappoint. though i thought it was bloodier than it needed to be, maybe sci-fi fans will disagree.

in the end, the reason i didn't like this movie, was the questionable nature of the characters' decision-making processes. it's 2094 and with all the technology available to you, you still walk out into uncharted planet, instead of using drones? you're a scientist and you see a worm in your eye after having breathed alien air, and you don't tell anyone and you keep going as if nothing has happened? a crewmember's creepily disfigured body mysteriously appears outside your ship after you just ran away from some disturbing killings and you open your gates and walk out to look at the body nonchalantly? really?

so glad i had not eaten a big meal going into Prometheus. i expected a lot, and visually, it did not disappoint. though i thought it was bloodier than it needed to be, maybe sci-fi fans will disagree.

in the end, the reason i didn't like this movie, was the questionable nature of the characters' decision-making processes. it's 2094 and with all the technology available to you, you still walk out into uncharted planet, instead of using drones? you're a scientist and you see a worm in your eye after having breathed alien air, and you don't tell anyone and you keep going as if nothing has happened? a crewmember's creepily disfigured body mysteriously appears outside your ship after you just ran away from some disturbing killings and you open your gates and walk out to look at the body nonchalantly? really?

haha, nadiskubre ko din itong forum na ito. meron pala nito!I love watching movies, yung mga hindi gaanong sikat. i'll write my reviews here if ever you decide to watch those movies. possible spoilers will be warned beforehand

Prometheus-

i agree with the comment on the questionable decision-making skills of the characters. one of them should be like " i've seen too many movies to know where this is going". and one of them got lost even after three probes had 3d mapped the tunnels from the entrance to their present location?

Lockout-

the movie is 5/10 (where 1/10 is BLOODRAYNE,hindi ko tinapos yung movie na yun. and 10/10 is the dark knight) pero masaya lang panoorin kasi parang die hard mixed with escape from new york type of movie. the hero is somewhat of an a&& hole kaya fun to watch. yun nga lang less ang action kasi puro sneeky sneeky sila sa loob ng kulungan. stick till the end though kasi maganda ang revelations...

Rock of ages-

very fun to watch 8/10 lalo na pag rock enthusiast (8.5/10) .compared to mama mia (4/10), kasi lalake ako kaya mababa, i was pleased with this movie kasi may mga sexy na babae and the use of the songs were entertaining.didn't care if some male actors ay nag lip sync.i focused on the use of the song and not how they sang it

Edited by simplyeric

Prometheus-

i agree with the comment on the questionable decision-making skills of the characters. one of them should be like " i've seen too many movies to know where this is going". and one of them got lost even after three probes had 3d mapped the tunnels from the entrance to their present location?

exactly haha

Rock of ages-

very fun to watch 8/10 lalo na pag rock enthusiast (8.5/10)lo .compared to mama mia (4/10), kasi lalake ako kaya mababa, i was pleased with this movie kasi may mga sexy na babae and the use of the songs were entertaining.didn't care if some male actors ay nag lip sync.i focused on the use of the song and not how they sang it

definitely more fun than Mamma Mia, in my opinion. Russell Brand was the perfect sidekick to Baldwin. Tom Cruise played his rock star character to the hilt. so glad Malin Ackerman got to showcase her comedic chops again. too bad we're all so Glee-ed out, it's hard not to draw comparisons. still, overall a fun romp back to 80s big hair rock.

the amazing spiderman was great.

never liked tobey maguire's movie series.

btw it's an ENTIRELY different storyline(comic afficionados unite) compared to the first movie series by Sam Raimi (Tobey Maguire's Spiderman Movies).

so it's probably better not to relate it to that.

CGI-wise the amazing spiderman is much better.

The Cabin in the Woods is a fun thriller with lots of gore and witty banter. Written by Joss Whedon, the same guy that directed that little known film that's hardly getting any attention, The Avengers ;)

Cabin in the woods is a movie for the movie fanatics. why? kasi it breaks all horror flick cliche'.This is the scream version of cheezy horror films (kung maalala ninyo, the movie scream also broke slasher film genre rules)

I am not an expert in movies, my semi expertise are movies after 2000 (kasi yun lang yung time na pwede na akong manood hanggang R18 so i can watch a lot of movies).

i was watching this with a smile on my face kasi it broke my Order of death when watching a cheezy Horror flicks. to give you a background on my rules,here they are:

SPOILER ALERTS!!!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order of Death

1. Assholes/bullies/horny couples/big chested girl (mostly "dumb blonde",but not bitchy) Survival tip : learn jujitsu so when you trip and fall, you can still defend yourself, and no your not thin enough to squeeze through there. :P

2. One Insignificant character - Survival tip: Talk at least once every 5 mins to avoid being insignificant...

3. Asians - ouch! hahaha.never seen an asian survive.unless its an asian movie.hahaha.maybe because they all have apple cut hairdos

4. People with thick framed nerdy eye glasses - Survival tip: be smart and super glue your eye glasses to your face so it wont fall off!

5. Comic reliefs or two best buddies (again, are insignificant)

7. Alpha males police/military character that have the possibility to kick ass.

6. Bitchy characters who torment the main character (payback karma!)

after that, the rest will surely survive.unless your in a movie that has the words FINAL and DESTINATION in it :)

People who survives other than the main character

1. Good looking heroes who sacrifice themselves to buy time for the main characters (unless they show his/her death scene)

2. children (unless the child has an apple cut hair. apple cut hair = evil hahaha!)

3. pregnant women

4. old people

5. people with mental disorder that portrays an innocent nature

SPOILER for cabin in the woods (well matagal nang showing kaya pwede na)------------------------------------------------------------------

What i love about the cabin in the woods is that THE COMIC RELIEF lives!!!hahaha!!!

The Amazing Spiderman

hinayaan kong lumipas ang ilang araw bago panoorin para sa mga gustong magsulat ng movie review. also baka kasi may madulas ako sa plot e since block buster yun, ayokong sirain ang movie experience ninyo.pero pag B movies usually a day after kong panoorin ako nagsusulat ng review

back to the movie.

It was a very good movie, dark, and close to the truth kung meron talagang superhero sa new york. hell, all his choices, i will also do if given the same circumstances.

hindi siya tulad nung nauna ( i bet na basa ninyo na ito mula sa ibang review) kasi hindi comics style ang storytelling. the film also shows a flawed super hero. parang movie na kick ass at dare i say, the dark knight!the small expressions made by the main character is what you will expect from a boy at that age (sorry, im not keen on names, and im too lazy to google it)

SPOILERS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

may konting comment lang ako dun sa character na FLASH, yung bully. well may underlying story na kaya siya naging bully kasi same situation and hardships ang pinagdadaanan niya same with parker (remembered the name!). although it is true and most bullies are like that,but honestly, sana hindi na nila sinama yung hugging part na parang best friend sila.bromance?

OVERALL, the movie is a must see. everything has been revamped and there is no comparison with the previous. also take note that this is a marvel superhero movie. there is a MONK's REWARD (after ending credits if you have the patience of a monk to wait for it)

Have to agree with the previous review. This reboot was, like its title, amazing. Though I didn't think I'd like Andrew Garfield (a.k.a. Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network) as Peter Parker, my apprehensions were thankfully without basis. He was completely believable as a teen in turmoil, and despite my misgivings about yet another 'emo' Spidey, this new emotional depth to the characters was what made the movie supremely watchable for me.

Martin Sheen and Sally Field added solid 'regular-folk' contrast to Parker's whiz kid brain. And I didn't notice til now that Emma Stone has such big eyes! But she, too, had great chemistry with Garfield. Her reaction to Parker's last line to her at the end of the film felt uncontrived. It's also nice to see characters that aren't painted into stereotypical corners, like the schoolyard bully or even the villain. While the bad scientist in this case was a little short on motivation, Rhys Ifans (Anonymous) provided such subtle shifts in disposition as his character progressed through the plot, that you can forgive and forget the more formulaic aspects to the story.

The Amazing Spiderman is a good comic book movie because its superhero is also super human.

The Amazing Spiderman

It was a very good movie, dark, and close to the truth kung meron talagang superhero sa new york. hell, all his choices, i will also do if given the same circumstances.

hindi siya tulad nung nauna ( i bet na basa ninyo na ito mula sa ibang review) kasi hindi comics style ang storytelling. the film also shows a flawed super hero. parang movie na kick ass at dare i say, the dark knight!the small expressions made by the main character is what you will expect from a boy at that age (sorry, im not keen on names, and im too lazy to google it)

OVERALL, the movie is a must see. everything has been revamped and there is no comparison with the previous. also take note that this is a marvel superhero movie. there is a MONK's REWARD (after ending credits if you have the patience of a monk to wait for it)

Watched The Amazing Spider-man on the theater on the opening day, and I can definitely say that it was way better than Tobey Maguire or Sam Raimi's Spider-man. Andrew Garfield played the part well, not the best, but he was able to portray Peter Parker in such a way that is close to the Peter Parker we know in the comics (a bit closer the Ultimate Spider-man series I guess). Emma Stone, is just lovable as Gwen Stacy; I've always wanted to see Gwen in the spotlight for a change rather than Mary Jane Watson; and I just loved how Emma Stone played her part.

As for the development of the story, it gave a nice pace of events; giving us an insight of Peter's family, while slowy developing his character, we finally get to see the part that was never told or gave much time to explain. As for the plot, it was a nice simple development, not too complicated and it was just right as an opening for more sequels to come.

A few things I'd like to say about the movie: I like how they finally showed a Peter Parker in a movie with an actual working brain; Peter Parker's smart, but from the past movie we've never fully seen how smart he is; on this movie we finally see a bit of how smart he really is, but still not that much, guess the writers don't want us to see the comic book version intelligence that Peter has because he would be too powerful; Next I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to hear the famous quote from Ben Parker, was waiting for him to say it or somehow the movie to sneak it in but it never happened; Third, for some, we know who Gwen Stacy is and what eventually happens to her, for the entirety of the movie I had this lingering feeling that something will happen, and it is nice feeling to have a lead character who portrays a damsel in distress character that you actually fear for; And lastly, even though Stan Lee gave away a spoiler on his cameo appearance I still chuckled when his part came, it was like I never knew which part it was.

Overall I'd say that this might be a better Spider-man movie franchise, and I hope they continue making this like this. It might not hold its ground compared to the Avengers or the Dark Knight saga but it has its place, if you're a fan you'd love it.

rating 4/5

Cabin in the woods is a movie for the movie fanatics. why? kasi it breaks all horror flick cliche'.This is the scream version of cheezy horror films (kung maalala ninyo, the movie scream also broke slasher film genre rules)

I am not an expert in movies, my semi expertise are movies after 2000 (kasi yun lang yung time na pwede na akong manood hanggang R18 so i can watch a lot of movies).

i was watching this with a smile on my face kasi it broke my Order of death when watching a cheezy Horror flicks. to give you a background on my rules,here they are:

SPOILER ALERTS!!!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order of Death

1. Assholes/bullies/horny couples/big chested girl (mostly "dumb blonde",but not bitchy) Survival tip : learn jujitsu so when you trip and fall, you can still defend yourself, and no your not thin enough to squeeze through there. :P

2. One Insignificant character - Survival tip: Talk at least once every 5 mins to avoid being insignificant...

3. Asians - ouch! hahaha.never seen an asian survive.unless its an asian movie.hahaha.maybe because they all have apple cut hairdos

4. People with thick framed nerdy eye glasses - Survival tip: be smart and super glue your eye glasses to your face so it wont fall off!

5. Comic reliefs or two best buddies (again, are insignificant)

7. Alpha males police/military character that have the possibility to kick ass.

6. Bitchy characters who torment the main character (payback karma!)

after that, the rest will surely survive.unless your in a movie that has the words FINAL and DESTINATION in it :)

People who survives other than the main character

1. Good looking heroes who sacrifice themselves to buy time for the main characters (unless they show his/her death scene)

2. children (unless the child has an apple cut hair. apple cut hair = evil hahaha!)

3. pregnant women

4. old people

5. people with mental disorder that portrays an innocent nature

SPOILER for cabin in the woods (well matagal nang showing kaya pwede na)------------------------------------------------------------------

What i love about the cabin in the woods is that THE COMIC RELIEF lives!!!hahaha!!!

brod,, no need to pry on the old movies already,, since the thread is all about NOW SHOWING,, AND I THINK IT MEANT NOW SHOWING IN THE PHILIPPINES,,,!,,, otherwise youll end up like the others who are talking about old movies or movies that have not yet been currently shown,, and therefore OUT OF THE TOPIC!!!

I HONESTLY AM GLAD THAT ALMOST EVERYONE LIKED THE SPIDERMAN,,, ITS SIMPLY IS AMAZING!!!!!

ok b ung Braham Licoln vampire hunter? any review?

it was fairly ok. being a fan of lincoln the man, i was really looking forward to the film but, in the end, the attempt to cover most of lincoln's life - his humble beginnings, his marriage, his presidency, the civil war - and then the attempt to mesh it with the vampiric elements of the story were a dead weight on the film.

the action could have been more visceral, because even if the vampires looked frightening enough, it still didn't feel like any of the main characters were truly in any mortal danger. i thought the acting was pretty good, as rufus sewell who plays the lead vampire is always satisfying as a villain. dominic cooper as a vampire hunter and benjamin walker (looking like a young liam neeson) as abe were also competent in their roles. the acting wasn't the problem. the story was.

hehe, sorry for the previous review. natuwa lang kasi ako sa cabin in the woods and it deserve some credit

abraham lincoln vampire hunter:

possible spoilers so please skip kung ayaw-------------------------------------------------------------------------

honestly the twist would have been ok if they did it in a way na parang forrest gump, yun bang parang ma explain yung history ng US na kaya pala ganun kasi may influence ng vampire or may malaking connection sa history.though some correlation was there, kaso parang bitin. para bang sige gawa tayo ng movie tapos basta kalaban niya ang vampire.

the pacing was very fast na tipong konting panning ng camera matanda na si abraham, hehehe. plus there was a conflict on flow of the story.(SPOILERS) there was a point where nalito na ako kung saan pupunta ang story, political ba, or hunting vampires. i know that that was the point some where in time pero sana nabigyan ng clear "fork in the road" na tipong nalilito siya kung alin ang way na pipiliin.i just felt that the story was rushed

action wise, i like the action scenes pero na set na kasi ang standard ko na fantasy/old america dun sa movie na sherlock holmes. parang ganung fight scenes na ang gusto kong makita pag ganung type na movie at ganung re-imagining. though the axe wielding was superb.

and the girl, i forgot the name,tinatamad mag google,she was great, i like the face pero i like her more sa modern films na sky high at grind house deathproof. cheer leader-ish hottie!!hahha. i will watch her in a slasher horror film though. scream 6 anyone?

OVERALL the movie is a so-so movie. for me, not even recommended for a date or a barkada movie. kasi kami ng barkada ko napakamot ng ulo after :(

The Dark Knight Rises... saw it last night and it was looooooong and dragging. The Dark Knight is still the best of the 3 Nolan Movies. The film tries hard and long to outdo The Dark Knight instead of becoming a picture all its own. I will offer no spoilers but in an honest to goodness perspective the movie is not EPIC. Movie was at least 2:45mins long.

The Dark Knight Rises... saw it last night and it was looooooong and dragging. The Dark Knight is still the best of the 3 Nolan Movies. The film tries hard and long to outdo The Dark Knight instead of becoming a picture all its own. I will offer no spoilers but in an honest to goodness perspective the movie is not EPIC. Movie was at least 2:45mins long.

I've just watched it too, I thought they would be needing a subtitle for Alfred and Bane's dialogue. The ending tells that there would be a trio for the next sequel.

thanks for the dark knight review,, sayang i was waiting to see this one,,,

I watched Abraham Lincoln though and I thought it was a good movie,,, you have to be there in all the scenes since ,, di nga ako makapagtoilet kahit cr na cr na ako,, hehehe

how about ICE AGE ? would you greatly recommend it for the whole family? corny ba o nakakataw? TIA..

last na pala ito ng trilogy, 'ket kaya parang inintroduce pa nila dito si Robin?

Sa pagkakaalala ko sa comics, si Robin (yung Dick Grayson na Robin) ang naging Batman nung "nawala" si Bruce Wayne.

So siguro sa kwento ni Christoper Nolan pinakita nya na "nag-turnover" si Bruce Wayne ng "job position" nya dun sa baguhan. ^_^