Apple iPhone

I am getting tired of waiting for the next Communicator.. and now I am contemplating in replacing my N9500 with a brand new Cellphone.. My choices are the IPhone 3G, the Samsung Omnia (so-called "IPhone killer") and the N96..

I feel that the N96 is just an upgraded of the N95 (with better memory storage, that is).. So, scratch that..

Now, it boils down to two phones, the Iphone 3G and the Omnia..

I know that this is an IPhone thread, and most probably, people would vote for the IPhone, but what about this newest Samsung hand-held.. I've checked reviews and it really goes toe-to-toe with the IPhone.. It even has a stronger camera with its 5MP and its even priced less that the IPhone.. 8GB (Php36K) at 16GB (Php38K) din ang mga variants ng internal memory and also supports the 3G function..

Planning to buy the Omnia over the IPhone because of its price.. But would any of you here care to "violently" react? haha.. I just want to see the POV of IPhone users on why the IPhone 3G would be a better choice over the gaya-gaya phones like this Samsung model..

BTW, if ever, this would be my first Samsung Phone.. Been a Nokia user since, as I did not like my experience with SE's P800..

I am getting tired of waiting for the next Communicator.. and now I am contemplating in replacing my N9500 with a brand new Cellphone.. My choices are the IPhone 3G, the Samsung Omnia (so-called "IPhone killer") and the N96..

I feel that the N96 is just an upgraded of the N95 (with better memory storage, that is).. So, scratch that..

Now, it boils down to two phones, the Iphone 3G and the Omnia..

I know that this is an IPhone thread, and most probably, people would vote for the IPhone, but what about this newest Samsung hand-held.. I've checked reviews and it really goes toe-to-toe with the IPhone.. It even has a stronger camera with its 5MP and its even priced less that the IPhone.. 8GB (Php36K) at 16GB (Php38K) din ang mga variants ng internal memory and also supports the 3G function..

Planning to buy the Omnia over the IPhone because of its price.. But would any of you here care to "violently" react? haha.. I just want to see the POV of IPhone users on why the IPhone 3G would be a better choice over the gaya-gaya phones like this Samsung model..

BTW, if ever, this would be my first Samsung Phone.. Been a Nokia user since, as I did not like my experience with SE's P800..

it really comes down to personal choice; you have the last say and despite other people's IMO's, you live or die with your choice.

i've tried all three brands; though they all have user-friendly interface, the iphone's UI has a more intuitive feel probably because it was first to market the touchscreen-accelerator gizmo combination which the other brands are busy catching up -samsung's omnia, being an asian brand, "improved" on the shortcomings of the iphone 3g in the areas the asian market is biased to: better camera, mms and text forwarding capable out of the box, and video calling, which i'm sure the iphone is also busy catching up on these in the coming months...

get the phone that best serves your needs; omnia has what we asians want right out of the box while the iphone 3g has the bling factor to consider and its shortcomings forgiveable in the short term. and don't count nokia out yet; they're coming out with their own iphone-killer the 5800; and you can also download some business software like quickoffice to the N96 if you plan on getting that. good luck.

me? i gave my iphone 3g to my girlfriend (if i make her happy, she'll make me happy hehehe) and went back to my nokia E66 to handle my business needs and the itouch to take care of my entertainment needs; i'm planning on getting the 5800 when it comes out this christmas and download quickoffice on it.

good luck

it really comes down to personal choice; you have the last say and despite other people's IMO's, you live or die with your choice.

i've tried all three brands; though they all have user-friendly interface, the iphone's UI has a more intuitive feel probably because it was first to market the touchscreen-accelerator gizmo combination which the other brands are busy catching up -samsung's omnia, being an asian brand, "improved" on the shortcomings of the iphone 3g in the areas the asian market is biased to: better camera, mms and text forwarding capable out of the box, and video calling, which i'm sure the iphone is also busy catching up on these in the coming months...

get the phone that best serves your needs; omnia has what we asians want right out of the box while the iphone 3g has the bling factor to consider and its shortcomings forgiveable in the short term. and don't count nokia out yet; they're coming out with their own iphone-killer the 5800; and you can also download some business software like quickoffice to the N96 if you plan on getting that. good luck.

me? i gave my iphone 3g to my girlfriend (if i make her happy, she'll make me happy hehehe) and went back to my nokia E66 to handle my business needs and the itouch to take care of my entertainment needs; i'm planning on getting the 5800 when it comes out this christmas and download quickoffice on it.

good luck

Thanks for the reply.. I am not in a hurry to replace my N9500 (in all actuality, I am actually thinking of getting rid of my N93 instead of my Communicator), and I am still googling sites to find the differences between the Omnia and the IPhone 3G..

As of now, I am more inclined in getting the Omnia.. For one, I am not interested with the "bling factor" that the IPhone carries.. Its more on the usability of the phone and as you said, if it suits my needs then why not.. The problem lies here: I am not much of a Windows-based phone person.. I'd like to get a Symbian operated phone much like my 9500.. But the new Communicator feels like its just a few steps higher than what I have (functionally), so I did not get it..

lml_sete's post intrigued me, and I browsed the site he gave.. This is what I found.....

"The PocketPC mid-season may as well be a hush before the storm with the HTC Touch Pro and Xperia waiting to be unleashed. But for now we have two other bitter rivals to keep us busy: Samsung i900 Omnia and HTC Touch Diamond. It truly is a great achievement for Samsung to have a gadget fit to stand up to the top PocketPC manufacturer HTC.

The two devices are doing a great job standing their ground to the Apple iPhone 3G and it's no wonder since each of them is technically more advanced than Apple's creation. In fact, they have a lot of things in common with the iPhone - the full Touch UI, the nice multimedia capabilities and the superior web browsing experience. But we digress."

@lml_sete and paulgo: Thanks for your replies, I hope I could get more answers from the others..

i guess one main consideration is the OS of the phone...i have never been a fan of phones running on windows mobile....

in basic functions such as calls, music, browsing...id say iPhone is still great....SMS wise...i guess its just a matter of getting used to it as the iPhone really learns how you text and the patterns of your inputs and eventually learns the tagalog words that you use...lets say for example, the word "po" can be put by simply pressing pp...hehehehe...

going back to the topic...its really more of what would make you happy in terms of usage...we can all say we like this and that but its still you who would decide as people will always have diff opinion over the same device....

i guess one best thing with the iPhone is the added bling it gives...and another thing, the samsung Omnia price depreciates a lot faster than the iPhone...source would be the online trading community...not the stores in malls....

i guess one best thing with the iPhone is the added bling it gives...and another thing, the samsung Omnia price depreciates a lot faster than the iPhone...source would be the online trading community...not the stores in malls....

The added bling? haha.. Talagang yan ang selling point ng IPhone, ano?

Well, the depreciation of the Omnia is not really surprising because a store somewhere is selling the Omnia at only Php31,500 with 12 mos. 0% installment.. haha.. After a few months, parang bumaba na kaagad ang presyo.. Ang problema lang talaga dito baka pati tricycle driver naka Omnia na in a few month's time.. hahaha.. j/k..

Still, I really do not find anything great about the IPhone versus the Omnia, if only the added bling and the OS is the argument of most people why the IPhone is a better phone.. But I am also waiting for around 2 more months to really decide.. Baka bumaba pa lalo yung mga presyo ng mga telepona at hinihintay ko din yung bagong phone ng SE..

Edited by revi

To sum it up:

If you want a "ready" out of the box device with office support , superior camera, lower price, Video call capable, Windows OS, makes up for the short comings of the iPhone.. get the Omnia

For that "bling" factor, totally "new" experience in terms of SMS/UI, higher resale value, the new Mac OS 2.0 with "non mainstream" apps & widgets..get the iPhone 3G

Both are HSDPA phones...

If all else fails...wait for the Nokia 5800 :lol: IMHO the best all around non touch screen phone nowadays is the N82 or N95 GB (thats another story :lol: )

Edited by orionpax
To sum it up:

If you want a "ready" out of the box device with office support , superior camera, lower price, Video call capable, Windows OS, makes up for the short comings of the iPhone.. get the Omnia

For that "bling" factor, totally "new" experience in terms of SMS/UI, higher resale value, the new Mac OS 2.0 with "non mainstream" apps & widgets..get the iPhone 3G

Both are HSDPA phones...

If all else fails...wait for the Nokia 5800 :lol: IMHO the best all around non touch screen phone nowadays is the N82 or N95 GB (thats another story :lol: )

Thanks, bro..

Maganda kaya yung 5800? haha.. Medyo biased kasi ako sa mga QWERTY-keypadded phones over the touch screen ones.. Kaya parang gusto ko ding hintayin yung new QWERTY-padded phone ng Ericsson na may pagka-Communicator ang feel.. Then again, I am also not too much into SE phones.. Haay! Kung meron lang bagong E90, binili ko na eh.. Para mapalitan na yung 9500 ko..

Again, if I would ever buy the IPhone or the Omnia, I would not replace my 9500 with it, but I'd be replacing my N93 instead.. But I am more inclined to get the Omnia.. Not because of its price but because it has superior specs.. It also has the bling-bling, IMO.. Mas matindi lang ang dating ng IPhone, because of the "Apple" tag.. But honestly, I could not care about that "bling" when it comes to phones.. It all boils down to "use," for me..

I still believe that the current IPhone is not the best phone out there, and I do believe its overpriced.. I just wanted to know what are its better specs than the Omnia.. The added bling factor and the re-sale value are not specs but these are Apple's superb marketing strategy.. hahaha..

samsung omnia? :thumbsdownsmiley:

a friend told me na d daw maganda ang PMU device sa mga touchscreen ng samsung..

Hmmm.. But how about the Omnia, per se? Samsung might have improved on this "chink on their armor.." I still have not heard of an Omnia-user that is disgusted.. Or is it dahil kakaunti gumagamit ng Omnia? hahaha..

Thanks to you too, bro.. Hirap talagang magmarket ng magandang telepono that would suit my taste.. Haay!

To sum it up:

Both are HSDPA phones...

Hintayin ko nalang ang Nokia 5800. But for the meantime, im thinking of getting a N95 8 Gb.

Hintayin ko nalang ang Nokia 5800. But for the meantime, im thinking of getting a N95 8 Gb.

Ako, Omnia na ang bibilhin.

I really HATE BUILT-IN BATTERY...

Para kasing na-hostage ako ng Apple na palitan ang built-in battery ko after a year or two. Which ofcourse is expensive...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i'm planning to have my iphone upgraded with its version para same with 3g at greenhills around 1.5k with apps, vids etc

i've upgraded my 2nd gen iphone to 2.1 firmware. Kasama na sa package yung cydia installer...ayun andaming apps and new mods dun all you need is to upgrade ur itunes to version 8.I just followed a you tube clip and it's done

:thumbsupsmiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAL93e_rbKk...feature=related

Edited by perverto

Yo! Im an iphone 3g user for 3 months na. All i can say is this gadget is so coool and rocks! It's every gadget geek wet dream come true. Cant imagine myself w/o this lovely piece techmology. Hehe. Im browsing and replying thru iphone. Abt omnia, w8 lng sya, apple has more surprises under their sleeves, gradually lng nila release awesome features for marketing strategies IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
how do you solve the Iphone when it hangs??

please help....it does not restart eh..

thanks sa sasagot!!

i assume its like the iPod touch. turn it off. press and hold down the off button at the top until it reboots. works for an ipod Touch... and i do believe that aside from the mic, and the GSM antenna, theyre practially the same device