Apple iPhone

I think that the $ 199 SRP is bundled with an AT&T subscription...a $ 30 USD a month 3G data plan locked for 24 months..

Plus...it can ONLY be activated in Globe Telecom stores..(unless hacked out of warranty)

And im so sure that the 3G iPhone wont be priced near $ 199 (even in the grey market) here in Pinas :D

Globe allocating the new iphone for platinum members or for a plan 5K maybe too much, considering the SRP of the unit in the US is just $199 (8G). If this do happen I'd rather buy me a new iphone in the grey market (which analyst say is the reason for the low cost of the new iphone) than get it from globe.
Edited by orionpax
Theoritically, 3G is faster than wifi hence wifi is no longer necessary. And 3G network eats more power thus your battery gets drained faster.

but wi-fi is free... hehehe

install BossPrefs so you can turn off services using one app

ayt! thanks!

I think that the $ 199 SRP is bundled with an AT&T subscription...a $ 30 USD a month 3G data plan locked for 24 months..

Plus...it can ONLY be activated in Globe Telecom stores..(unless hacked out of warranty)

And im so sure that the 3G iPhone wont be priced near $ 199 (even in the grey market) here in Pinas :D

yeah! asa pa tayo... the 16GB Iphones are being sold for almost 30k now

The key here is for Globe to leverage on the potential services that they will offer with the 3G iPhone bundle that will NOT be available to the 1st Gen iPhone..

They have done step 1 (Increase the barrier to new entrants - Smart & Sun)...so exclusivity is locked with Apple (for now)..

There must be a program to maintain "stickyness" to the bundle to eschew the potential loss of market share to the grey market

True, but those 16GB units are 2.5G iphones priced at $499 with the AT&T plan. The people who sell them will now have access to a lower priced iphone. Globe will have to do something to compete against the gray market in the sense that their profits will derive from phone usage not phone sales. They subsidize practically every lousy sim-locked Nokia and SE phone they sell, now they will be able to get away from not subsidizing at all because Smart and Sun will have no official source for the units and Globe's HSDPA service is faster than Smart BROken.

Also, Apple will not brook any deviation from their US pricing beyond compensating for shipping and foreign exchange diffrentials. Apple has stopped getting a share of phone revenues in the 3G model and given the expected response and demand, AT&T is not about to subsidize the phone as well. So it looks like the announced pricing int he US is in line with possible local pricing.

But if you guys want to look forward to higher prices, well, we Mac users are used to that. Or you can wait for a phone from Dell. It will be cheap and have an OS as ugly as Windows.

Im aware of iPhone OS 2.0, what i meant was there should be a "premium" (apps, service, whatever) that will delineate (3G & HSPDA is a given) the 1st Gen iphone from a 3G iphone user..

Potential service on the 3G iphone? You haven't kept up. iPhone 2.0 software is the core to that.
Im aware of iPhone OS 2.0, what i meant was there should be a "premium" (apps, service, whatever) that will delineate (3G & HSPDA is a given) the 1st Gen iphone from a 3G iphone user..

Aside from 3G, the only thing that the 3G iPhone can do that the first generation iPhone cannot is GPS navigation. Then again, some enterprising individuals have been developing GPS dongles for use with the first generation iPhone. Aside from the two hardware differences (3G and GPS), the new 2.0 software will make the old iPhone as functional as the newer one will be.

I will be curious to see how the GPS and Google Maps on the iPhone will be implemented in the Philippines. Users in the US and Europe will be able to fully utilize the iPhone's GPS capability thanks to comprehensive GPS road data that's already available. Same cannot be said for Manila. If you look at Manila in Google Maps, only the most major of roads such as EDSA are present. What good is GPS if you don't have road data to use it with?

Edited by fry

Speaking of SCATS..i wonder if the project was "finished" hehe...

For now.. speed and GPS are the ONLY advantages so far that a 3G iPhone has compared against a 1st Gen iPhone

Ive seen a peek of the SDK...geez...i hope that would be ramped up to users soon...

Actually, the data and the system exists for Metro Manila—in a manner of speaking. The entire city is fully mapped in software under SCATS (Sydney Coordinative Automatict Traffic System) which was supplied by Plessey of Australia to the MDA under a US$120M grant. I know this because I was trying to buy access to the materials under Abalos but he wanted an unconsionable amount just to say hello.

The entire city has embedded sensors in all major and most seocndary thoroughfares which are sophisticated enought to detect multi axle vehicles, and monitor avergae road speed in real time. For some reason, they did not want to use it because it highlights too much how bad traffic management is and also because the traffic aides were complaining about being made redundant. they also like to turn off traffic signals and manual hand waving.

But to not be OT, the best thing that a 3G iPhone can do is offer a faster connection. Have any of you guys ever felt the diff between HSDPA and GPRS speeds? Its like DSL vs dial-up.

The other thing you cannot do in the old iphone is exchange support. In the 3G iphone you are setup for push services-somethign that only the Blackberry had. How significant is that?

Has anyone ever seen the SDK for iPhone 2.0? No? then you have little idea of the potential of this phone.

Has anyone every watched the WWDC keynote? No? Then armchair analysis may be based on deficient information.

SCATS? Never heard of it. I stand corrected then. But then again, you do not have to go as exotic as SCATS for Manila map data. I've just found out that Garmin does have maps for Manila for its receivers, and so does this website.

Speaking of Scat - the rest of what you said however is full of exactly that. The first generation iPhone WILL HAVE SUPPORT FOR MS EXCHANGE once the 2.0 firmware comes out. It's this new software that will bring Exchange capabilities - NOT 3G. Yes, I've watched last week's keynote. But have you also seen the other keynote from last January's Macworld? In it, Jobs announces Exchange support and the new 2.0 software for the then current generation iPhone - 6 whole months before the announcement of the 3G iPhone.

Also. The iPhone at its current form already does have push email via through IMAP. If you've actually owned an iPhone, you'll probably know that by now.

No idea as of yet but i was told that it wont be near the SRP of Apple bundled with the AT & T plan....the phone however might be given free to Platinum subscribers or subsidized to G-Plan holders...again there is a "way" being employed by Singtel & Globe so that "open line" 3G Phones would be reduced to "1st Gen" iphones (although im sure hackers will find a way ) if they plan to use Globe SIMs

Downside? i think would be local support if you intend it to use the Globe network (since an open line iPhone = void warranty)....as well as access to Globe 3G/HSDPA services, since the phone will be "activated" in the Globe store "on site" before it is released to the subscriber

Any idea on how much the 16gb will cost if Globe sells it? I'm thinking of having someone buy me a unit from the States since it's alot cheaper. So what's going to be the down-side if I have my unit bought from the States?
Edited by orionpax

hehe i am with you on your opinion on Globe's services...geez... they cant seem to close the gap of the prepaid & postpaid subscribers treatment...

Considering that the local Apple office would be partnering with Globe on this...i agree that Apple can turn "hacked" 3G iPhones into useless bricks hehehe once they impose "exclusivity" for "Globe" subscribed iPhones including the ones that will be bought from Globe stores (as part of G-Plans)

I'll tell you what the downside is: Globe's customer service is the shits!!! Whether its the mobile phone service, landline, or Globe DSL you only have to speak to the half-wit troglodytes trying to pass themselves off as Globe's customer service agents and you'll know what I mean. It seems that they are trained to be apologists for the company instead of being trined in helping the company's customers.

And perhaps because of the casique cultural base of Globe's ownership, the company is also known for not dealing with their customers equally. The prepaid customers are always made to feel like they are being treated with contempt whereas the high value postpaid plan clients are pampered. There is nothing wrong with pampering major clients but jsut because you maek less off prepaid susbcribers is no reason to treat them less.

Given my opinion of Globe (and what I hate the most, is the fact that I just grit my teeth and put up with it) you are probably right about how they will let hacked iphones into their network. However, knwoing how Apple will rework the software, hacked and jailbroken phones are simply bricked phones walking.

The key here is for Globe to leverage on the potential services that they will offer with the 3G iPhone bundle that will NOT be available to the 1st Gen iPhone..

They have done step 1 (Increase the barrier to new entrants - Smart & Sun)...so exclusivity is locked with Apple (for now)..

There must be a program to maintain "stickyness" to the bundle to eschew the potential loss of market share to the grey market

knowing hor enterprising and resourceful Filipinos are... I somehow feel that these new IPhones would makes its way in the local market (open line)...

Speaking of SCATS..i wonder if the project was "finished" hehe...

For now.. speed and GPS are the ONLY advantages so far that a 3G iPhone has compared against a 1st Gen iPhone

Ive seen a peek of the SDK...geez...i hope that would be ramped up to users soon...

the price factor could also be one of them... if they indeed are to be sold at around P13K

Got this from a friend from Singtel

There will be "prepaid" 3G iPhones, that are being planned to be sold in Europe (thru Vodafone)

Dont be surpised with the price :lol:

Expect to burn 400 Euros for the 8GB model(around 35 K Pesos) and 570 Euros for the 16 GB model (40 K Pesos)

So guys & gals...EVEN if it does show up in the gray market...these 3G iphones are FAR from the $199 (8GB) & $ 299(16 GB) USD price tags bundled with a plan

Edited by orionpax
Got this from a friend from Singtel

There will be "prepaid" 3G iPhones, that are being planned to be sold in Europe (thru Vodafone)

Dont be surpised with the price :lol:

Expect to burn 400 Euros for the 8GB model(around 35 K Pesos) and 570 Euros for the 16 GB model (40 K Pesos)

So guys & gals...EVEN if it does show up in the gray market...these 3G iphones are FAR from the $199 (8GB) & $ 299(16 GB) USD price tags bundled with a plan

OMG!!! I guess I'll be buying the AT&T jailbroken version.