The Football Thread

Labuyo

What a stirring upset by France over Brazil! Zidane is drawing up his last vestiges of greatness at the appropriate time at the expense of Ronaldo who may have played his last World Cup.

Portugal dashed England's hopes by beating them on penalty kicks. I think England to Football is like the Philippines to Asian Basketball: they're a bunch of stars hyped up by the local media saying that it could be their year to win it all and each time they go home disappointed.

So the semis, look like this:

Germany vs Italy

France vs Portugal

I predict it would be Germany vs France in the final, with the German team coming up with a hometown win.

I have a gut feeling that England might suprise everybody tomorrow, especially the Portugese team... :)

yeah, they suprised them by Gerrard and Lampard getting their penalty shots blocked :D

^the French supporters can only wish :lol:

peace bro :mtc:

I now eat my words...

congrats to France and its supporters :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by cheeselogger

Zidane & France did it again!!!

Zidane was an absolute magician out there playing what Brazilians & Holland would call Beautiful Football, while the of trick wizards of Ronaldinho & Kaka just didn’t wave their magic actually the whole Brazilian squad just didnt even turn up...Brazil never really got going in this tournament only against Japan & Ghana did they bring some game but even then they still looked quite shy from 2002...

The midfield of Ronaldinho, Juninho, Silva, Ze Roberto & Kaka were outclassed by one person Zidane however not to give full credit Franck Ribery just tore the Brazilian defence apart, Brazil maybe felt like they were playing a Ronaldinho...Vieira & Makelele just marshalled & controlled the midfield better than his Vieira former teammate Silva & Juninho...Florent Malouda played well in the 1st half but struggled a little in the 2nd...Thuram again the rock of the defence, Barthez a few little errors here and there but did have to do much...

Ronaldinho had a last ditched free kick effort that just went over the bar...but very dissapointing performance overall...the fans started booing when Robinho came on for Kaka, Ronaldo was like a walking granny out there but did try to encourage his teammates once in the 2nd half, Adriano just wasnt the player we saw in the Italian league this year as was Kaka...the team wasnt the same as they played in the Copa América & Confederations Cup of 2005...and the FIFA Footballer of the Year Ronaldinho was just outclassed by 3 times winner of the same title Zidane...Joga Bonito wasnt there at all!!!

Oh it is true Brazil has never won the World Cup in Euro soil since 1958...

Edited by luol_deng

cometh the hour, cometh the man!

the brazil team is definitely the most talented team in over 20 years. not since 1982 was a team overwhelmingly favorite to win the cup. brazil could field 3 teams, and those 3 teams would probably all make it to the semi-final. yet there is only one zinedine zidane, and he plays for france.

as soon as you saw zidane's first touch, you could tell this was going to be a vintage performance. and throughout the match, he just dissected the brazil midfield. i've never seen one man control the midfield so thoroughly against a brazilian team. zidane held the ball up when france needed to restore its alignment, and then threading through balls to unnerve the brazilians.

i have long posted that i considered zidane to be the 3rd best player of all time (behind pele and maradona), and certainly he is the most titled. he has won every major title there is (world cup, european championships, champions league, la liga and serie a. also 3 time fifa world player of the year). if france goes on to win the cup again, can we consider him as the best ever?

i must be honest, before the cup began i said that only 3 teams have the chance of winning: brazil, argentina or england. and now they are all out. forgive me, o zidane, for ever doubting you!

the brazil team is definitely the most talented team in over 20 years. not since 1982 was a team overwhelmingly favorite to win the cup. brazil could field 3 teams, and those 3 teams would probably all make it to the semi-final. yet there is only one zinedine zidane, and he plays for france.

as soon as you saw zidane's first touch, you could tell this was going to be a vintage performance. and throughout the match, he just dissected the brazil midfield. i've never seen one man control the midfield so thoroughly against a brazilian team. zidane held the ball up when france needed to restore its alignment, and then threading through balls to unnerve the brazilians.

i have long posted that i considered zidane to be the 3rd best player of all time (behind pele and maradona), and certainly he is the most titled. he has won every major title there is (world cup, european championships, champions league, la liga and serie a. also 3 time fifa world player of the year). if france goes on to win the cup again, can we consider him as the best ever?

i must be honest, before the cup began i said that only 3 teams have the chance of winning: brazil, argentina or england. and now they are all out. forgive me, o zidane, for ever doubting you!

Before I come to the defence of my England team... I just want it to be know that I am devistated that England lost but I am equaly happy that Brazil went down with them!!! :grr: :P

I havent seen the match yet but i listened to it and it seems to me that Portugal where doing dirty tricks again to get the upper hand!! (like what they did to the Dutch!) From what I have listened to,while the English where playing football the Portuguese where all over the place with their tackles! :grr:

As my friend said to me:

"God did't save your King(Beckham)!!" :grr: :grr: :grr:

Loosing would have been more bearable if Becks didn't leave the pitch limping like a dog!

Go home England!!

You go Le Bleu!

very well said.

same sentiments. :thumbsupsmiley:

What a stirring upset by France over Brazil! Zidane is drawing up his last vestiges of greatness at the appropriate time at the expense of Ronaldo who may have played his last World Cup.

Portugal dashed England's hopes by beating them on penalty kicks. I think England to Football is like the Philippines to Asian Basketball: they're a bunch of stars hyped up by the local media saying that it could be their year to win it all and each time they go home disappointed.

CAN'T AGREE MORE!!!!! :D OVERHYPED,OVERPAID YET UNDERACHIEVING JUST LIKE OUR SO CALLED PRO BASKETBALL PLAYERS.... :D

very well said my friend :thumbsupsmiley:

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

Zizou made an impressing show. He played like a 20 yr old on that game. Too bad for Ronaldinho, he never scored. It's finally over for fatman Ronaldo.

I strongly believe France can easily pass through Portugal.

By the way... sinong nagsabing Germany? I think Italy can outdo Germany. Germany's defence still lacks pace when it comes to marking.

It's gonna be Italy vs France (i hope)

As for England, till next time, mates!

Allons toute manière aux finales!!!!!

Disappointing loss for my man David Beckham. Clearly Wayne "overhyped" Rooney is the guy to blame. He DEFINITELY WITHOUT AN IOTA OF A DOUBT isn't mentally ready for these types of games. What the hell are you doing shoving an opposing player in front of the referee! :grr:

Engalnd battled gallantly for nearly an hour with only 10 men but it had to end in penalties. Tsk tsk tsk.

As for the FRA vs BRA game, there was an unusual nervousness to the Brazilian's game. It seemed from the outset that they played not to loose instead of playing to win. France's pace gave Brazil a lot of problems at the back especially Ribery (who is turning out to be a breakout star in these games, I expect a lot of clubs calling his agent now). Poor marking in the set piece that led to the Henry volley. At this stage of the World Cup, you can't leave a player like Henry wide open. Tsk tsk tsk.

Ger vs Ita -> I'd go with Italy on this one.

Fra vs Por -> France

Italy vs France -> France, lift the Cup Zizou!

brillant performance by zizou. a legend outshining the rest of of the young up and coming players. a lot of people (including me) thought he was below his prime. but he is showing that the master still has a few breaths left. If he wins the cup then it will cap off one of the best performace and i have seen for someone his age. The cup will be zidanes cherry on his illustrious career.

another 4 year wait for england. :(

I don't think the next coach can give us the cup. oh well.