The Football Thread

Labuyo

yeah.. :( i think owen is on the way out.. he doesn't want to be on the substitutes bench this season especially that the world cup is already next year..

liverpool has denied that they will resign owen though.. i wonder where he will go? :unsure:

arsenal? chelsea? man utd? everton? newcastle?

news just in..artmedia bratislava eliminates celtic (aggregate 5-4) eventhough celtic beats artmedia by 4-0 in their home leg..tsk tsk tsk poor celtic, eliminated very early in the CL, they didn't even get a berth for the uefa cup..

baptista & robinho deals are already finalized, they are galacticos..but madrid have a problem with their defense, they should be signing great defenders..they'll just have the same problems they had last season, great offense but poor defense..you can't win in europe with that combination..

the favorites to sign owen are manU..i'm still not decided whether they should sign owen, because they have great strikers in van nistelrooy, rooney, saha & solskjaer & they're switching alan smith to a midfield role..i think they should sign essien or ballack to reinforce their midfield..

thierry henry is asking for 40million pounds from arsenal..

arsenal vs. chelsea sunday 9:55pm, i don't know if its on espn or starsports..lets see if chelsea are truly unbeatable..

let the race for the epl championship begin..:)

but madrid have a problem with their defense, they should be signing great defenders..they'll just have the same problems they had last season, great offense but poor defense..you can't win in europe with that combination..

with walter samuel adjusting to the spanish style of play after struggling early in the season and jonathan woodgate back from injury, i think madrid would do fine in the backfield.. plus thomas gravesen has already shown us that he is a good fit to sit back just in front of the back four.. so i feel that madrid won't suffer their "slow" start like last season.. plus they still have helguera who can play centre back or defensive midfield too..

walter samuel has already left the spanish capital and is now with internazionale... the milan-based squad reportedly shelled out €16m.

with walter samuel adjusting to the spanish style of play after struggling early in the season and jonathan woodgate back from injury, i think madrid would do fine in the backfield.. plus thomas gravesen has already shown us that he is a good fit to sit back just in front of the back four.. so i feel that madrid won't suffer their "slow" start like last season.. plus they still have helguera who can play centre back or defensive midfield too..

it will be nice to see both michael owen and alan shearer on the same frontline again... owen can have the playing time he wants since patrick kluivert, laurent robert, and craig bellamy had already left st. james' park...

michael owen has already spoken to 4 english clubs.. i think newcastle is the front runner for owen's signature..

defense will be a key factor in weighing manchester united's upcoming season as england defender phil neville agreed on a 5-year deal contract with champion's league hopefuls and league rival everton... the toffees of goodison park reportedly paid €5m for neville's transfer...

dutch midfielder edgar davids has joined tottenham hotspurs from internazionale on a free transfer...

i think real madrid's defense is still lacking key players that can lead the line when defending against talented attackers..they lack a strong central defender & a good right back..salgado, roberto carlos are great but they should get defenders rather than getting forwards or midfielders, they're already loaded with talent in the forward & midfield positions..

add the departure of santiago solari...

and ...

luis figo...

who just signed a two-year deal with internazionale... liverpool was also in the hunt to sign up figo...

so there are now three former real madrid players in the milan side... samuel, solari, and figo...

Edited by the_electrified_one

samuel left? nyak.. that definitely is a big loss for madrid's defence.. wow.. now all they have left is helguera, woodgate, mejia and raul bravo (?)..

figo's departure was somewhat expected as beckham would move to the right, zidane on the left, gravesen as the defensive midfield player, with raul just behind the strikeforce of ronaldo and robinho..

GK - casillas

RB - salgado

LB - roberto carlos

CB - woodgate, helguerra, mejia

DM - gravesen/guti

LM - zidane

RM - beckham

AM - raul

F - ronaldo, robinho

in other news..

Zidane: “I want to play to my limit, as I always have done”

On Wednesday Zinedine Zidane announced his decision to return to the French national team. He´s happy and relaxed, but above all very focussed on preparing for a season in which he wants to offer the spectators, and himself, his best game. Magic in it´s purest state, his only thought is to work to the maximum.

You´re returning to the French national team

Yes, I´m returning after a year. It´s a personal decision which I´ve thought about a lot, and did it with all my heart. There was no pressure from anyone, it´s a personal thing. I´m very happy to be returning.

Are you thinking about the World Cup in Germany in 2006?

Yes, I like the idea of playing another World Cup, but before that we have to qualify. There are three of four important matches. I talked about it with my friend Makelele.

READ Article

looks like france wants to regain the cup back.. hehe..

i'm still not convinced that the defenders real have right now are enough to win back la liga & the champions league..for example, the last for teams that went to the semis of the champions league (liverpool, ac milan, psv eindhoven, chelsea), all have consistent defenses, they all have leaders in their defense that can effectively lead the line against creative attackers..real had a leader in hierro but he was left out of the squad because of his age (he's now with bolton, i think)..real madrid have the money to buy attackers, why don't they buy quality defenders? tsk tsk tsk, they should retain r.carlos, salgado but find quality defenders to back their run for the championship..

sirs, just finished watching Arsenal VS Chelsea on Star Sports... im not at all familiar with Football rules, so I would just like to ask:

what is OFF-SIDE?

this may sound trivial to all you football fanatics, but I do hope you'd bear with my query. thanks.

:)

Its hard to explain specially if you dont have a diagram. pero its like this, when an offensive player pass the ball to another offensive player who is at an off side position ( an offensive player who position himself between the keeper and the last defender ) Sa madaling salita "NAKAW PLAY"

sirs, just finished watching Arsenal VS Chelsea on Star Sports... im not at all familiar with Football rules, so I would just like to ask:

what is OFF-SIDE?

this may sound trivial to all you football fanatics, but I do hope you'd bear with my query. thanks.

:)

a player is offside if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent (the last opponent is usually the opposing goalkeeper).

BUT you cannot be penalized unless you are an active part of the play when the ball is played. also, once the ball is played to you, you can now go past these last two opponents.

ALSO, you cannot be offside from a goal kick, corner kick or throw-in, or if you are in your own half.

sounds complicated but its really simple. once you watch a whole game, you'll understand.

it looks like real madrid will be employing the 4-1-2-1-2 formation...

figo moved to internazionale on a free transfer... also add esteban cambiasso on the list of former real madrid players who are now strutting inter's jersey...

regarding defense... you forgot to mention pavon... with woodgate and helguera, these guys need to step up...

samuel left? nyak.. that definitely is a big loss for madrid's defence.. wow.. now all they have left is helguera, woodgate, mejia and raul bravo (?)..

figo's departure was somewhat expected as beckham would move to the right, zidane on the left, gravesen as the defensive midfield player, with raul just behind the strikeforce of ronaldo and robinho..

looks like france wants to regain the cup back.. hehe..

with guys like michel salgado and roberto carlos, real madrid's defense is above average compared to other teams... however, both roberto carlos and michel salgado have a tendency to implode and commit unnecessary aggression... jonathan woodgate, ivan helguera, and francisco pavon just needs to be consistent every match... raul bravo is not a bad choice since he has been capped by spain for a number of times now...

fernando hierro's last team was bolton... he is now retired...

i'm still not convinced that the defenders real have right now are enough to win back la liga & the champions league..for example, the last for teams that went to the semis of the champions league (liverpool, ac milan, psv eindhoven, chelsea), all have consistent defenses, they all have leaders in their defense that can effectively lead the line against creative attackers..real had a leader in hierro but he was left out of the squad because of his age (he's now with bolton, i think)..real madrid have the money to buy attackers, why don't they buy quality defenders? tsk tsk tsk, they should retain r.carlos, salgado but find quality defenders to back their run for the championship..

chelsea won the fa community shield against arsenal, 2-1... thanks to a double by chelsea's didier drogba...

I wonder who'll win the community shield tonight.  I'm pretty interested in seeing Arsenal's game without Vieira. 

Langya, binitawan ng Juventus si Tachinardi.  But its good to hear that Zambrotta will still stay for a couple more years. 

offside-simpleng explanation..pag nauna yun pasa(ng offensive team) dun sa takbo nung offensive player na papasahan palampas dun sa huling bantay ng defensive team..kelangan synchronized un pasa tska yun takbo..

kasi kung walang offside, pwedeng maghintay lang yun mga offensive player sa isang part lang nung field, e di bad trip un kasi onse lang kyo naglalaro(kasama goalie) tpos laki nung field..sana naipaliwanag ko ng ayos..

di pa din ko bilib sa depensa ng real madrid, dami nilang pera, pero binibili nila puro pang-opensa..ang kinakailangan para manalo sa champions league ay magandang opensa at DEPENSA..so hanggat di nila ayusin ang depensa nila, mahihirapan silang bawiin ang la liga at ang champions league..example ko sa magagandang depensa: ac milan, chelsea..

:D

^ but the problem is most the great defenders are playing in their own national leagues.. eg. terry (epl), nesta (serie A), ferdinand (epl), maldini (epl).. it is very difficult to pry away these type of defenders from their teams because of the lack of quality defenders (as compared to the # of quality "offensive" players).. unless players from "poorer leagues" produce players of the same quality as terry or nesta, they have to make do with what they have.. which is sad for a team like real madrid.. :( i dont think anyone from spain's junior ranks have developed into someone like hierro.. and as what you said before, eversince hierro left real they have struggled a lot which can be said of the spanish national team too.. :D

real madrid should have a coach who can efficiently find fresh crop of defenders emerging from various leagues not only in europe but the world..for example sir alex ferguson of manU, always scouts for fresh talent, which costs less & are easier to lead, rather than buying older players, who cost more & already have egos to contend with..

the problem with real madrid's transfer policy is that it is the president, fiorentino perez, who makes all the decisions. all the coaches prior to wanderlei luxemburgo (prior to signing with real, he demanded that he has a hand on the transfers) did not have any say with the transfers. perez looks more towards the markebility of the player (how many shirts he's gonna sell) than team tactics.

real madrid should have a coach who can efficiently find fresh crop of defenders emerging from various leagues not only in europe but the world..for example sir alex ferguson of manU, always scouts for fresh talent, which costs less & are easier to lead, rather than buying older players, who cost more & already have egos to contend with..

maybe because ManU has better international scouts than real? (which is highly unlikely) :unsure: and they have a different philosophy in acquiring players.. a big club like real does not have the time to nurture players, they are expected to win all competitions they compete in.. that's why they buy "older" players.. but as you said before, the problem still lies in NOT buying expensive/quality defenders.. sigh.. if i could only manage real.. :D alessandro nesta would have been with the team even before ronaldo got there.. :thumbsupsmiley:

the problem with real madrid's transfer policy is that it is the president, fiorentino perez, who makes all the decisions. all the coaches prior to wanderlei luxemburgo (prior to signing with real, he demanded that he has a hand on the transfers) did not have any say with the transfers. perez looks more towards the markebility of the player (how many shirts he's gonna sell) than team tactics.

i can read ronaldo and beckham between the lines.. :D add to that raul and roberto carlos.. hehe.. in all fairness to these 4 players they are world class, you can't sell shirts if you're.. uhmmm.. let's say mediocre.. :) but you are correct fiorentino perez embraces the "you can score all you want but we can score more" style of play.. the phoenix suns of european football.. haha.. :lol:

i wonder why real didn't made a move in signing up asier del horno from athletico de bilbao?...

have you noticed that there seems to be a lack of good spanish players on defense?...

only michel salgado and ivan helguera are regular spanish team call ups.. del horno primarily plays left back/midfield, the same position as roberto carlos.. your guess is as good as mine.. :)