The Football Thread

Labuyo

arsenal has won the fa cup, beating man utd 5-4 on penalties after a goalless draw. it was an undeserved win, as man utd dominated the match. wayne rooney was his usual spectacular self, but it was as if there was a forcefield in the arsenal goal.

on a funny note, the arsenal fans were chanting "usa, usa, usa" mocking the man utd fans over the apparent takeover of man utd by american malcolm glazer.

also, juventus has secured the italian serie a title...

one of the hottest young defenders in europe is gabriel milito of real zaragoza. rumours have it that liverpool, man utd, barcelona and valencia are after the young argentine. if i recall correctly, milito was brought to europe by real madrid, but did not complete the transfer coz he failed his medical test. a year after, real madrid paid $25 million to newcastle for injured defender jonathan woodgate. and till today, woodgate has not played a single game due to injury, while milito is now one of the top players in spain. the irony!

AAAAHHHH! what a crappy fa cup final!!?!?! :grr:

ManUtd lost to Arsenal in penalties, 5-4..so sad :(

i think ManU should strengthen their midfield & their defense during the offseason, eventhough ruud wasted opportunities to win the game, i still think ManU lacks the supply of quality passes which were very abundant when they won the treble during the '99 season..they also need to have key changes in their defense, inconsistency is the main problem..

wow, barca signed van bommel, he's a quality player, a hard nosed midfielder w/ leadership qualities, i was hoping ManU could sign him :( ..how old is he?..poor psv losing their quality players to bigger clubs..tsk tsk tsk..real madrid is in for a huge battle next year when they challenge barca for the la liga..w/ players such as van bommel, deco, eto'o, ronaldinho, they'll the favorites for a repeat..

:cool:

why malcolm glazer will bring about man utd's downfall...

no, its not about him being american. its about him being a businessman, with no love for football (except maybe for the american kind). glazer bought man utd because the club has been earning around $15-$30 million a year, not because they are one of the top 3 teams in england. glazer is rich, but he is not in the league of chelsea's roman abramovich. abramovich bought chelsea not to make money, but because he loves the sport. he buys players without caring if the chelsea's bottomline is in the red. glazer is opposite. he sees man utd as a business and not a football club. he is not prepared to lose money just so he can buy the best players for man u.

another problem, is that glazer financed the takeover by borrowing a huge amount of money (abt $500 million). by privatizing man utd, he can now transfer that debt to the club. which means man utd will now be $500 million in debt. to stay afloat, man utd needs to have profits of $50 million a year. so the $15-$30 million they now make is not enough. to earn extra, u can be sure the best players will be sold, and most of the players' salaries will be cut. so what will happen to man utd then?

the champions league final is tomorrow, but damn, i have work! wonder if i can fake a stomach problem so i can be on sick leave haha.

i thought all along that the co-favorites for the title were barcelona and ac milan. and against liverpool, ac milan should win. man for man, milan is clearly the better team. BUT, liverpool has shown that they are better tactically. if liverpool shows the same grit and determination as they showed against chelsea, and if cisse's speed causes problems for the aging defense of milan.........i smell an upset!

i think brazil should bring rivaldo back to their world cup squad. after the 2002 cup triumph, then brazil manager scolari said rivaldo was the best player of the tournament. and this season, rivaldo led olympiakos to the double (league and cup champions) in greece.

liverpool are deserving champions of the champions league..too bad they can't win in the epl..my hats off to rafael benitez & his team..this probably means steven gerrard will renew his contract with liverpool..i hope uefa lets them defend their title next year..

liverpool are deserving champions of the champions league..too bad they can't win in the epl..my hats off to rafael benitez & his team..this probably means steven gerrard will renew his contract with liverpool..i hope uefa lets them defend their title next year..

Go Liverpool, sayang hindi ako nakapanood kahapon.

I think UEFA would be changing the rules next year to allow the defending champion to defend there crown.

i do hope that gerrard stays with liverpool or transfer sya sa real madrid.. :D

palit na naman ng rules? eh kakapalit lang before the start of this season, that the defending champions dont have a free pass to next year's tournament.. didnt UEFA forsee that this might happen? post-2642-1117018588.gif

the blame falls on liverpool... for not qualifying for the champion's league next year... they should had been more serious in their domestic campaign...

Go Liverpool, sayang hindi ako nakapanood kahapon.

I think UEFA would be changing the rules next year to allow the defending champion to defend there crown.