The Football Thread

Labuyo

i think football would be better off without the away goals rule..  <_<

i'm not sure but i think in the copa libertadores (south america's champions league) there is no away goals rule.

the away goals rule does seem unfair, but u gotta admit it brings a whole load of excitement. just like in the liverpool-chelsea tie: if chelsea scores they go through, if not they get eliminated. that's why till the whistle was blown, fingernails were being chewed off.

it makes the game a little more tense... producing a number of heart-seizure patients...

i think football would be better off without the away goals rule..  <_<

regarding the liverpool-chelsea match... if chelsea scored during stoppage time... hell would surely break loose... the SIX extra minutes added was too much...

i'm not sure but i think in the copa libertadores (south america's champions league) there is no away goals rule.

the away goals rule does seem unfair, but u gotta admit it brings a whole load of excitement. just like in the liverpool-chelsea tie: if chelsea scores they go through, if not they get eliminated. that's why till the whistle was blown, fingernails were being chewed off.

y can't it be a "home goals rule" then??? i think it can generate a lot more excitement than the away goals rule.. :) coz the home team is pushing for goals in their own turf rather than the away team.. the crowd can get more into the game..

it makes the game a little more tense... producing a number of heart-seizure patients...

regarding the liverpool-chelsea match... if chelsea scored during stoppage time... hell would surely break loose... the SIX extra minutes added was too much...

ok let's put the liverpool-chelsea second leg as an example, if chelsea scores it would be a draw and chelsea advances, right? all they did was earn a draw and they advance? they weren't even able to score in their own pitch.. :P and you said it yourself.. 6 extra minutes was too much.. don't u think the referee was biased towards chelsea.. btw, i wasnt able to watch the match, so honestly i dont know how many cards were shown during the second half, if there were stoppages due to injury, etc. but anyway you look at it, 6 minutes was too much.. :D

i think a home goals rule is better than the away goals rule, IMHO.. :)

y can't it be a "home goals rule" then??? i think it can generate a lot more excitement than the away goals rule.. :) coz the home team is pushing for goals in their own turf rather than the away team.. the crowd can get more into the game..

the rationale behind the away goals rule is that it is harder to score away from home. it also encourages the away team not to play too defensively. right now, the home teams already push for goals. if we adopt the home goals rule, then the away team would just defend, defend and defend. why try to score if its not that important?

ok let's put the liverpool-chelsea second leg as an example, if chelsea scores it would be a draw and chelsea advances, right? all they did was earn a draw and they advance? they weren't even able to score in their own pitch.. :P and you said it yourself.. 6 extra minutes was too much.. don't u think the referee was biased towards chelsea.. btw, i wasnt able to watch the match, so honestly i dont know how many cards were shown during the second half, if there were stoppages due to injury, etc. but anyway you look at it, 6 minutes was too much.. :D

i think a home goals rule is better than the away goals rule, IMHO.. :)

the chelsea-liverpool tie was not really a good example. first, liverpool were clear underdogs. offensively, they were overmatched. so on the first leg (at chelsea's ground), they played defensively, hoping for a 0-0 draw which they did get. the plan really was to push for the goals at home. what was unexpected was they got the EARLY goal. deciding that chelsea was just too dangerous, they played defensively the rest of the match.

as the past history of the competition (actually all football competitions) proves, it is far easier to score goals at home. and so away teams tend to play too defensively. to make european ties more open, the away goals rule was adopted.

if we adopt the home goals rule, then the away team would just defend, defend and defend. why try to score if its not that important?

so on the first leg (at chelsea's ground), they (are you referring to liverpool or chelsea) played defensively, hoping for a 0-0 draw which they did get. the plan really was to push for the goals at home. what was unexpected was they got the EARLY goal. deciding that chelsea was just too dangerous, they played defensively the rest of the match. (boring kasi pag "home team" ang magdedefend.. :D

as the past history of the competition (actually all football competitions) proves, it is far easier to score goals at home. and so away teams tend to play too defensively. (which was what liverpool did in the first leg, accdg to your post.. :)

well, i just thought of it coz of the psv-ac milan tie.. it is so unjust that psv wont be in the ECL Final..

Edited by bubuy
well, i just thought of it coz of the psv-ac milan tie.. it is so unjust that psv wont be in the ECL Final..

the away goals rule gives the away team an incentive to look for the goal. of course, most away teams STILL play very defensively.

i agree that psv should have been in the final. they played better for BOTH legs. but that's football, sometimes the better team doesn't win. i'm not sure if uefa will make a rule change. fifa doesn't have an away goals rule, it is just uefa who adopted it.

the holding midfielder

last weekend, chelsea celebrated their premiership trophy with a 1-0 win over charlton. the only goal came near the end, via a penalty kick. what was surprising was who took the spot kick: claude makelele. not used to scoring chances he muffed it, but luckily, rebound went straight to him and he buried it the second time. in two years, twas his first goal for the club.

lampard usually takes the penalty kcik, so why did mourinho choose makelele this time? its to shine the spotlight to arguably his most important, certainly the most undervalued, player in his team. makelele is the rock of chelsea. all season long, he protected the back four. just as he did for real madrid.

i think the holding midfielder is becoming the most important role in football. check out the top teams in europe: probable spanish champs barca have xavi and rafa marquez. without marquez, chelsea ripped barca's defense apart. real madrid have not won any trophy since makelele departed. italian league leaders juventus have emerson, ac milan have gattuso. german champs bayern munich have mehmet scholl. four times french champs lyon have mikael essien. arsenal have patrick viera and man utd's heart is roy keane. it seems nowadays, to win in football, you need a tough tackling midfielder.

i wonder if we'll see high profile transfers next season for these types of players.

oh and let me add that when real madrid's new coach arrived (luxemburgo), the first thing he addressed was the defensive midfield position: he bought thomas gravesen.

and from midtable, now real madrid are firmly on second place in spain, currently on a seven match winning streak.

ang galing! sa wakas! madami na ang nagppost sa thread na to, dati dadalwa lang kaming nag-uusap eh..

1.)ayos na ung away goals rule, mas nagiging pressure packed ang game, mas competitive & mas na-eenganyo ang home crowd para kulitin ang away team & at the same time mas maraming mga away fans ang bumibili ng tickets to support the team.

2.)the holding midfielder

-excellent point damaso, kelangan ng isang well rounded na midfielder to win..good in defense, can tackle, can pass & set up opponents as well as can finish & score goals, at siyempre importante ang intangibles, such as leadership..pero siyempre gagaling lang ang isang holding midfielder pag magaling din ang mga team mates nya, consistent, hardworking & may heart para manalo..

3.)sayang nagcomeback na dapat ang psv pero deserving din ang ac milan, lakas kasi in all aspects, forwards (crespo,shevchenko), midfield (consistent sina gattuso, ambrosini, pirlo & the amazing kaka'), solid defence (nesta, maldini, stam & cafu)..liverpool is in for a tough final..chelsea is similar to ac milan in terms of overall team strength, but mourinho underestimated liverpool, i think ancelloti won't put his team in the same situation..uefa champions league champions-prediction: ac milan..

4.)i like psv eindhoven because they have asian players.. :cool:

5.)sana matalo ng manU ang arsenal sa cup final..go Manchester United!..

keep posting, nice to hear na there are other football afficionados dito, konti lang kc nakakakwentuhan ko about football.. :cool:

Yes! Meron palang football thread dito. Ngayon ko lang nakita tong thread na to. My fave team in the EPL is Arsenal and Chelsea, in the Italian, of course AC Milan and Juventus, I also like Olympique Lyonnais on the French Ligue, and FC Barcelona on the spanish primera.

On the away goal issue - it's a nice rule coz it adds excitement if the game rolls out to be a good match.

Anyone for a game of FUTSAL???? :cool:

Edited by dj_flip03
i think the holding midfielder is becoming the most important role in football. check out the top teams in europe: probable spanish champs barca have xavi and rafa marquez. without marquez, chelsea ripped barca's defense apart. real madrid have not won any trophy since makelele departed. italian league leaders juventus have emerson, ac milan have gattuso. german champs bayern munich have mehmet scholl. four times french champs lyon have mikael essien. arsenal have patrick viera and man utd's heart is roy keane.  it seems nowadays, to win in football, you need a tough tackling midfielder.

if i remember right, just before the tie between ac milan and man utd at old trafford, gattuso publicly stated that he wants to replace roy keane when the time comes that the captain retires..

seems like the ball is in ferguson's court now.. :)

the ECL will be won in midfield.. kaka/gattuso vs gerrard/luis garcia :thumbsupsmiley:

after the failure of kleberson and djemba-djemba to make an impact, man utd continues to search for the aging roy keane's replacement. next up: nigerian john obi mikel. third time the charm?

the transfer of obi mikel is turning out to be a made-for-tv drama! he has disappeared. police and man utd officials are hunting him. and the rumor is that he's at chelsea's training ground!