The Football Thread

Labuyo

brazil 1 peru 0, world cup qualifying

i didnt see the match but i read the newsclips. ronaldo missed an open goal and 2 other easy chances, and basically "huffed and puffed his way" throughout the match.

i think its time to give inter milan's adriano a chance. at the very least, it would make ronaldo work harder. ronaldo should no longer be considered an automatic starter for brazil. heck, he shouldn't even be automatic for real madrid, considering michael owen's good form.

maybe adriano can only gel with the italians thats why.. but i agree that Ronaldo is in poor form.. very poor. his 2nd wife might be the culprit :D

Casillas eyes United move

LONDON (AFP) - Real Madrid's Spanish international goalkeeper Iker Casillas claimed Monday that English Premiership side Manchester United are interested in signing him. The 23-year-old is the number-one choice at the Bernabeu but has been tipped to solve United's goalkeeper problems as Tim Howard is struggling for form and Roy Carroll is expected to leave Old Trafford when his contract expires at the end of the season.

"For a long time Manchester United have been interested in me. An offer has been put to my agent but, for me, money is not everything in life," Casillas told the Daily Star.

"There are a lot of questions to be answered before I could leave Madrid but I like the Premiership and United is one of the few clubs that I would go to if I were to leave Spain.

"That is because of its history, tradition, supporters and the way they treat their players.

"I've spoken with (United boss) Sir Alex Ferguson several times after matches and I know that he likes me."

Casillas' contract with Real runs out at the end of next season.

But he added: "I have a year left on my contract but I need to know as quickly as possible what a new contract would say because I have a lot of important decisions to make."

Casillas better stay in Real for the club to retain it's assets. The guy has done a lot of superb saves after the back 3 failed to defend the penalty box in most cases. The club has no problems with their goalie. Its the cohesion amongst the midfielders and forwards that is lacking.

Brazil shake off lethargy, with one exception

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 31 (Reuters) - World champions Brazil shook off their recent lethargy as they drew with Uruguay in a fast and furious match on Wednesday -- with one notable exception.

In a World Cup qualifier played at breakneck pace, with tackles flying in from all sides, one player was clearly having trouble keeping up with the others.

Brazil's number nine lumbered through the 1-1 draw in Montevideo, barely touched the ball and was easily kept under wraps by Uruguay captain Paolo Montero.

Ronaldo, once again, was a shadow of his former self.

The sports daily Lance gave him 3.5 out of 10 for his display, the lowest of the 22 players who started the game.

It's verdict: "Slow, inaccurate, no presence in the area. Where's the old Phenomenal One?"

O Globo gave him four, again the lowest of the Brazil players. "A low-key performance. He couldn't get free of his markers and presented little threat," it said

Ronaldo, who insisted last week that he had left his Real Madrid troubles in Spain, also gave a below-par performance against Peru on Sunday, even missing an open goal.

Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has so far stood by Ronaldo, who he says will not be dropped.

But, with Brazil boasting so many world class forwards, pressure is growing for some new blood.

england is looking good. they will probably present the strongest european challenge for the world cup. rating from current performances, its gonna be between argentina, brazil, england and maybe italy.

england has arguably the best centre midfield pairing in frank lampard and steven gerrard. they have 3 big, solid centre backs in rio ferdinand, sol campbell and john terry. the emergence of joe cole has added pace and danger to their attack. but england's chances will rest on the development of wayne rooney. he is the one player the south americans have reason to fear.

the other "usual suspects" from europe: france still cannot find a decent replacement for zidane (understandable, considering he is probably one of the top 5 players of ALL-TIME). and i don't see enough talent in germany, holland, czech republic or portugal to worry argentina or brazil. and spain? they do have the talent but they just don't deliver at the big stage.

england is looking good. they will probably present the strongest european challenge for the world cup. rating from current performances, its gonna be between argentina, brazil, england and maybe italy.

england has arguably the best centre midfield pairing in frank lampard and steven gerrard. they have 3 big, solid centre backs in rio ferdinand, sol campbell and john terry. the emergence of joe cole has added pace and danger to their attack. but england's chances will rest on the development of wayne rooney.  he is the one player the south americans have reason to fear.

the other "usual suspects" from europe: france still cannot find a decent replacement for zidane (understandable, considering he is probably one of the top 5 players of ALL-TIME). and i don't see enough talent in germany, holland, czech republic or portugal to worry argentina or brazil. and spain? they do have the talent but they just don't deliver at the big stage.

England seems a slow-starter. Needs to be pushed to work out their offense. But I agree they have a great line-up.

Chelsea seems to have fate in its side..

".......Bayern Munich suffered a double injury crisis ahead of Wednesday's Champions League quarterfinal against Chelsea.

The Bundesliga leaders' top two strikers Claudio Pizarro and Roy Makaay were injured in their 3-0 victory over VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday. .... "

damn..ManU drew w/ Blackburn, 0-0..Arsenal back in 2nd place, both ManU & Arsenal at 67pts..looks like Chelsea is on its way to the championship..

go ManU..you can still win the FAcup..  :D

Man U will be facing Newcastle in the FA semis and Newcastle will miss the services of bowyer and dyer (?)...the two slugged it out in midfield during theirg game agains cystal palace...i will hope for a Man U victory but their inconsistency in putting away opponents is a cause for worry and i wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it

barcelona 3 real betis 3

once again, barcelona shows its vulnerability to quick counter-attacks. the goals which betis scored were so similar to the goals they gave up against chelsea. and betis were playing with only 10 men for almost 80 minutes!

to go 3-1 down at home, against 10 men, won't cut it. thank god they were able to draw level in injury time. but rijkaard really needs to strengthen their defence if they want to make another run at the champions league next year.

the champions league is still loaded with "heavyweights": juventus, milan, inter, bayern munich and chelsea. but i find myself rooting for olympique lyon.

i've been watching french ligue 1 on the fox soccer channel, and this lyon team is loaded with talent, especially in the midfield. mickael essien is regarded as "the next roy keane", and as i've said before, juninho pernacambau is the best free-kick taker in all of world football.

i've been watching french ligue 1 on the fox soccer channel, and this lyon team is loaded with talent, especially in the midfield. mickael essien is regarded as "the next roy keane", and as i've said before, juninho pernacambau is the best free-kick taker in all of world football.

Youre lucky to have that channel over there :) Is the game against PSV to be played at home in Lyon?