The Football Thread

Labuyo

Malakas ang Juventus, lets see if they can beat Liverpool FC.

Jose mourinho is a jackass, its up to Chelsea to prove themselves against Bayern

i agree! i used to give mourinho the benefit of the doubt...being portugese and english not his native tongue, i would always take his statements as is w/o calling him arrogant...but lately i've started to feel otherwise...even the former coach of bayern calls him outright arrogant and should not be mentioned in the same breath as ferguson or wenger

just to put mourinho in his place i'd be rooting for bayern

Chelsea 4 - Bayern Munchen 2

And the Oscars goes to Ballack :D

i'm surprised the long-ball tactic still works, especially against a so-called sophisticated german team like bayern. chelsea's game plan was so simple, just pump balls into bayern's penalty box. and amazingly, bayern could not deal with drogba's strength in the air. the ivory coast striker certainly proved his worth in that match.

Real Madird 4 - Barcelona 2

ESPN 1:05 this morning.

Goals from Zidane, Ronaldo then Eto'o.

Raul scores right before half-time.

Owen scores 2nd half.

Ronaldinho scores on set play.

Real Madrid played the way they are expected to play. Beckham was probably the best player on the field with his passing and defense. Casillas also shone with important saves. Real started with Raul, Ronaldo and Owen up front, leaving Figo on the bench.

Barcelona were without Deco. There were plenty of chances for Barcelona but were all stopped by Casillas. Eto'o went down in the 2nd half with a knee problem and was replaced by Maxi Lopez. Eto'o was actually carrid off on a stretcher. No news yet on the severity of this injury.

Real Madrid now 6 points behind Barcelona with 7 rounds to go. Now is the time for Barcelona to show its grit after giving up 4 goals to Chelsea in the Champions League, then needing the full injury time to draw 3-3 agints Real Betis, then giving up 4 againts Real Madrid.

Although still to early to say, if Real Mardid and Barclena end up tied at the end of the season, Barcelona wins due to superior goal count (5-4) in their head-to-head matches with Real Mardid this season.

On the other side, Man Utd loses 2-0 to Norwich and are not third and two points behind 2nd place Arsenal. If Real was inconsistent this season, Man Utd was worse!

Real Madird 4 - Barcelona 2

Although still to early to say, if Real Mardid and Barclena end up tied at the end of the season, Barcelona wins due to superior goal count (5-4) in their head-to-head matches with Real Mardid this season.

they won't be needing that tie breaker at the end of the season.. i believe Real can achieve 18 points from the 7 games left.. :D

Bayern Munich 3 - Chelsea 2, but Chelsea advances to semis on 6-5 aggregate.

AC Milan 1 Inter 0 but match was called off 19 minutes to go as fans started throwing debris onto the field. UEFA to decide if the result will stand or if there will be a need to play the last 19 minutes. AC up 3-0 on aggregate.

Bayern Munich 3 - Chelsea 2, but Chelsea advances to semis on 6-5 aggregate.

AC Milan 1 Inter 0 but match was called off 19 minutes to go as fans started throwing debris onto the field.  UEFA to decide if the result will stand or if there will be a need to play the last 19 minutes.  AC up 3-0 on aggregate.

I was tempted to watch these games at 2am but I just slept it away. At least chelsea went ahead to win .

Got to watch the AC-Inter replay. AC was leading 1-0 (3-0 aggregate) when Inter scored on a corner kick but was ruled out by the referee. The Inter supporters reacted by throwing bottled water onto the field then after that a barrage of flares (at least a dozed) until one hit Dida on the shoulder. The referee then ordered to abandon the match.

UEFA will be deciding wheter or not to continue the match. If it will continue it will most likely be in a closed door stadium, similar to what happened with AS Roma.

my teams are so malas sa champions league:

first, barcelona loses to chelsea via a controversial goal from john terry. replays show that carvalho clearly obstructed the barca keeper. the goal should never have been awarded.

second, lyon loses to psv on penalty kicks. but in the dying seconds of extra time, there was a clear penalty for lyon which was not given by the referee.

haay nako...

The last FA Cup Semi-Final:

Manchester United 4

Newcastle United 1

Its MU and Arsenal for the nth time at the FA Cup Final.

Big Premiership Match: Arsenal vs. Chelsea on Thursday 3:30 at ESPN.

Next Champions League Matches:

AC Milan v. PSV Eindhoven April 26

Chelsea FC v. Liverpool FC April 27

Champions League Final May 25

Edited by howard_the_duck
Arsenal beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 in their FA Cup Semi-Final

Tomorrow's FA Cup Semi-Final is the battle of the Uniteds: Newcastle United and Manchester United.

Looks like the FA Cup is fast becoming a consolation trophy.

well we have the "league cup" to blame for that. why in the world did the english fa decide to have another cup competition?! now the top teams in england have four competitions: europe, the league, the fa cup, and the league cup. u can't blame the managers for resting some of their key players.

i still think the fa cup is a prestigious and exciting tournament. there's just something extra about a one-game, do-or-die cup tie. a sense of "urgency". if u saw the arsenal-blackburn match u'd know what i was talking about: tackles flying in, physical battles all over the pitch, no one giving an inch. and i must say, though arsenal has been overshadowed by chelsea this year, they still play the most attractive football in england. they're a joy to watch, especially when bergkamp is playing...