The Football Thread

Labuyo

and i think i have to eat my words re luis fabiano.

his first goal was pure class. a deft first touch, a quick turn and shot with his left foot giving tim howard no chance. it changed the game and gave brazil the confidence to go and win the final.

awww. i take that back, the transfer has been confirmed pending a medical.

Forward Benzema joins Real Madrid from Lyon

Karim Benzema is poised to become the latest big-name arrival at Real Madrid after Lyon accepted a bid from the Spanish side for the highly-rated France international.

The 21-year-old is set to join Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo in signing a six-year contract at the Bernabeu after his French employers agreed to a 35m euro (£29.7m) approach from Madrid, who with this deal will see their summer spending spree pass the 200m euro mark.

source

Edited by bubuy

benzema is a faster, more explosive player than trezeguet.

kaka, cronaldo, and now benzema...real madrid is just buying everyone!

i have to question the logic tho of real's transfer policy. is perez just buying big names without thinking of tactics? kaka, i have to admit, was a stellar move. kaka is the new zidane, the classic number 10 (altho he won't be wearing that number) who dictates the play on the pitch. cron gives them pace and creativity but it will be hard to fit both kaka and cron, two players who are often given free roles, in the same team. and now benzema? they have van nistelrooy and more importantly, the impressive young higuain already. with kaka and cronaldo on the same team, i cannot see real madrid fielding 2 strikers. if they do, barca will k*ll them. so why buy benzema??

barca has been quiet so far in the transfer market but that's because we have a system of play in place. we stick to our 4-3-3 and only buy players who fit into that system. the biggest worry right now is eto'o, who has a year left in his contract. david villa would be the perfect player to spearhead the attack in place of eto'o so i hope he comes. we also need cover in the backline as milito is still injured and abidal is often injured. henry is also getting old, but iniesta can slot into the left so we need maybe another versatile midfielder - fabregas maybe.

it's going to be a very interesting season as its going to be barca's system versus real madrid's star power.

the whole dutch contingent at real will be unloaded..

at the rate we're buying, only casillas and ramos will be left from last year's starting XI. lolz.

apparently, we're not finished too..

EXCLUSIVE: I Expect Real Madrid To Launch Transfer Assault On Inter For Maicon - Agent

The Merengues are expected to make a lucrative move for Maicon...

Real Madrid are set to launch a transfer offensive for Inter defender Maicon, according to his agent Antonio Caliendo, Goal.com can exclusively reveal.

The Nerazzurri stopper has been making noises over his future, and reports in Italy have suggested he wants a better deal at the San Siro. Real Madrid have reportedly shown an interest in the Brazilian international, and Caliendo has told Goal.com that he expects that desire to be taken further.

"Now that Real Madrid have completed their attacking department, I think they will make a charge for Maicon," the agent told Goal.com.

"We are waiting for Real Madrid. I can foresee a transfer assault from them."

Inter director Ernesto Paolillo recently revealed that the club would be sitting down with Maicon in order to discuss his future.

Edited by bubuy
Ribery wants to join new galacticos at Real

Franck Ribery: "Real Madrid or nothing"

The France playmaker, another supposed target for Manchester United who looks set to head to the Spanish capital, and his future have been under the spotlight since the end of the Bundesliga season although Ribery himself has remained silent.

source

straight from the horse's mouth.

this is getting really ridiculous, what have we learned from the previous galacticos experiment? there is no fast track to success..

in all honesty, madrid will challenge next season.. but winning it? that still has a big question mark.

the only bright spot i see from galacticos v2 as opposed to v1, at least we're buying younger players (27 and below) unlike the last time where they were all past 30..

manutd has signed michael owen on a free transfer..

may rumors na manutd are trying to sign eto'o :)

i hope eto'o stays at barca, but i realize he can walk away on a free transfer next season so it makes sense to sell him now.

with his pace and work rate, eto'o would do well in the premiership. man utd will be lucky to have him.

Edited by damaso

man utd got 80M for ronaldo and they go for someone on free transfer.. makes you really wonder what kind of financial situation united are in.. :rolleyes:

barcelona cant proceed with the villa transfer for luck of funds, they NEED to unload eto'o first..

man utd got a new french guy named gabriel obertan, a 20 yr old winger from bordeaux.. well, havent heard anything about him. to be fair, SAF does have the talent of spotting talents before everyone else does and ronaldo was relatively an unknown before joining united and so was solskjaer. we will just have to wait and see

nice post bubuy on nobody wants to buy the manutd owen shirt hehehe frankly i was disappointed that manutd signed him on a free transfer, i'm not really a fan and i thought he was disappointing last season for newcastle, i hope he proves me wrong this season and becomes a potent scorer for the red devils..i think sir alex was trying to save up by taking owen in the cheap, just like what he did with henrik larsson during his twilight years, getting an older proven striker for a lesser cost in preparation for a bid for other players..

in terms of the financial situation of manutd, despite getting the 80million pounds for c.ronaldo, sir alex is carefully choosing the players he will sign, who will gel with the current team as well as who can be a worthy investment..i think he's still disappointed with the 30million he spent for berbatov hehehehe..i feel sir alex was disappointed to have missed out on benzema, manutd was really aggressive in pursuing the french striker, too bad he chose to play for real..

now we have 3 signings for the off season: luis antonio valencia from wigan, michael owen from newcastle and gabriel obertan from bordeaux..the total cost of these 3 signings are less than 30 million pounds; sir alex is really staying firm in how he signs his players, preferably choosing to sign younger (and cheaper hehe) players and developing them to become superstars (like beckham and c.ronaldo)..

eto na: Villa to Barca

so you guys should now stop "NOT" worrying about our signings. :hypocritesmiley:

hahaha...

well david villa is still not a barca player but a brilliant move in acquiring maxwell. we really needed a left back and i was hoping we'd get filipe from depor but maxwell is a much better player for half the price! didn't see that coming.

on another note, what the hell is manchester city doing???

they are currently trying very hard to sign adebayor from arsenal for the inflated price of 25m pounds. they've already signed carlos tevez, and they recently bought roque santa cruz as well. last year they spent big money on robinho and craig bellamy. and they still have caicedo, benjani and bojinov. are they going to field all forwards and a goalkeeper???

hahaha...

well david villa is still not a barca player but a brilliant move in acquiring maxwell. we really needed a left back and i was hoping we'd get filipe from depor but maxwell is a much better player for half the price! didn't see that coming.

on another note, what the hell is manchester city doing???

they are currently trying very hard to sign adebayor from arsenal for the inflated price of 25m pounds. they've already signed carlos tevez, and they recently bought roque santa cruz as well. last year they spent big money on robinho and craig bellamy. and they still have caicedo, benjani and bojinov. are they going to field all forwards and a goalkeeper???

they just sold Jo, isnt it?

anyway, the villa saga collapsed and now barca has closed a deal for Ibracadabra in a swap deal for eto'o.. i wonder what valencia was thinking all this time.. the two biggest spanish teams offered them well over €40M and they balked at the offers..

they just sold Jo, isnt it?

anyway, the villa saga collapsed and now barca has closed a deal for Ibracadabra in a swap deal for eto'o.. i wonder what valencia was thinking all this time.. the two biggest spanish teams offered them well over €40M and they balked at the offers..

very skeptical about this swap. eto'o was successful at barca because of his pace, intelligent off-the-ball runs, and work rate. he's not the most clinical finisher, but his diagonal runs often made space for messi and he always helped to defend and chase the ball.

ibra is the complete opposite. great technique and very skillful with the ball, but is short on pace and often just stands around waiting for the ball to be fed to him.

barca's system is very much like the national team of spain: "tiki-taka" or pass and move. it's based on creating triangles and then one-touch passing. the way ibra played at inter is he often held the ball. i just cannot see him fitting into the system.

hopefully i'm wrong. maybe a player as skillful as ibrahimovic can adapt to the barca style of play. maybe. i sure hope so.

barca and inter are close to swapping eto'o and ibrahimovic..

xabi alonso is close to signing for real madrid while liverpool are thinking of signing wesley sneijder if they are unable to sign alonso again..

manutd have signed a new striker, senegalese international mame biram diouf, the 21 year old striker has shown promising goal scoring skills after scoring 17 goals in the 1st 21 games of molde h.k., a team playing in the norwegian top flight..

sir alex is really investing on young players, i hope the 4 transfers (even owen hehehe) will pay-off this coming season :)

ibrahimovic for €46M, eto'o and helb.. im pretty sure if you add up the value of the two players to the cash it would be more than kaka's transfer fee. :hypocritesmiley:

i am not happy with the switch. i really believe that eto'o is a much better fit to the barca system of play than ibra. however, eto'o is on his last year of his contract. if we did not sell him this season, he would basically walk away for free. so, it does make sense for barca to do the deal. as far as hleb is concerned, it is just a loan deal. he could still come back to barca next season, hopefully a more confident player than last year.