The Football Thread

Labuyo

after drogba's success with chelsea, a big strong center forward is much the rage in the epl. a big target man who can hold up the ball and be a nuisance in the box gave his teammates freedom to play their game. berbatov was bought even though man utd already had rooney and tevez, and even heskey is very much in demand again.

man city plays a similar system to chelsea and has brought in players in drogba's mould: benjani was the first one in. jo was bought from cska moscow for $28m. and even the young english (future star, imo) daniel sturridge was given a run. but it looks like man city's season will be saved by the unlikeliest of their big forwards - felipe caicedo. the ecuadorian was bought from the swiss team basel during the 2008 transfer window but never really made an impact. well, 4 goals in his last 3 matches has certainly made people take notice.

and with their 5-1 thrashing of hull, has mark hughes finally found the right formula? caicedo's presence has given robinho more space from defenders. elano was finally given a start and his vision and passing unlocked hull's defense. ireland was excellent as always. swp gave them width and pace, and kompany deputised as holding mid and protected the back four.

for their christmas shopping, man city should really consider villareal's marcos senna. the defensive midfielder who i felt was the best player of euro 2008 has expressed interest in joining the man city revolution, and his acquisition will allow kompany to slot back to his best position as centerback. other good defenders should be brought in: ezequiel garay or philipp lahm comes to mind.

man city really has been this season's dr jeckyll and mr hyde. they can be brilliant on some occasions, and at times downright horrible. it'll be very interesting watching this team in the second half of the season.

transfer rumors?hmm, eto>>> :P

manutd is currently trying to sign 2 serbian wingers (sabi sa manutd.com); bojan tosic ata name nung isa; can't remember the other guy's name..

man city want's to sign mourinho as their new manager & wants to sign newcastle's michael owen for 8.7 million..

arsene wenger is planning to sign newcastle's n'zogbia & the spanish defender (i forgot his name)..

amir zaki, the talented wigan striker, is attracting big teams because of his great play, real madrid & chelsea have been reported to be interested in signing the player :)

aston villa are reported to be very close to signing portsmouth’s striker jermain defoe

portsmouth manager tony adams is interested in signing dutch midfielder royston drenthe, currently under contract at real madrid

serie A side AS Roma are reportedly interested in signing valencia's miguel, as cicinho might be on his way out at the giallorossi.

Edited by _eRon_

yey! manutd beats borough, 1-0, berba gets his 3rd goal of the season & brings the red devils 7 pts behind liverpool with 2 games in hand, go manutd!!! :)

there was a fight that broke out between borough captain pogatetz & c.ronaldo in the tunnel before halftime, buti naresolve kagad ng referee at di lumaki un away, it was about a challenge pogatetz made against c.ronaldo in the 1st half

in other news:

Liverpool captain Gerrard in custody after bar fight

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/Decembe...fter-bar-fight/

Real must choose between Huntelaar and Diarra: UEFA

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/Decembe...nd-diarra-uefa/

Man Utd complete signings of Serbian starlets

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...rbian-starlets/

MANCHESTER, England (AFP) - Manchester United confirmed the signings of Serbian starlets Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic from Partizan Belgrade on Friday.

United revealed late last year that they had reached agreement with Partizan to sign the duo and the Premier League champions have now concluded contract negotiations.

Tosic will move to Old Trafford next week, with Ljajic staying in Belgrade for the remainder of the season.

Despite being just 21, Tosic has already made 12 appearances for Serbia and is regarded as one of the best young wingers in Europe.

At just 17, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson feels Serbia Under-21 midfielder Ljajic will benefit from remaining with Partizan to gain more first team experience.

It has been suggested United could end up paying around 17 million pounds for the duo, although that figure is likely to be based heavily on future success and the club have refused to comment on the size of an initial payment.

Edited by _eRon_

C'mon Arsenal!

My son and myself went to the Arsenal against Plymouth FA cup tie this afternoon. I was his first time to experience the magic of watching a live football match, it was amazing. He had an amazing and incredible time.

Now that he is into it, it's a massive dent to my wallet. As long as he is happy, I am happy. His little brother will be joining us together with my wife soon.

Any Arsenal supporters out there?

C'mon Arsenal!

I stayed up last night to catch the FA cup fixture between Hull and my Newcastle. Both sides were tenacious in finding the opening goal but in the end it came to a goalless draw. Hull city would have surely won hadn't it been for the courageous efforts of NUFC goalkeeper Given. My hats off to you. You are the driving force of the team. It'll be a shame to lose a quality player like him.

post-25839-1231048238.jpg

Jermaine Defoe is returning to Portsmouth

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...-to-totttenham/

Manchester City embarassed by Nottingham Forest, 3-0 :P

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...st-humble-city/

Ashley Young worth seventy five million Pounds, says Martin O’Neill :P

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...-martin-oneill/

Awsome. Id like to see an English man win the EPL's golden boot.

Middlesbrough´s Downing hands in transfer request (Tottenham bidding for Downing's services)

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...ansfer-request/

World Cup winner Denilson given trial with Bolton Wanderers

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...lton-wanderers/

Martin O’Neill targeting young Spanish left back

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...nish-left-back/

Benitez to resist transfer temptation

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/January...fer-temptation/

Edited by _eRon_
C'mon Arsenal!

My son and myself went to the Arsenal against Plymouth FA cup tie this afternoon. I was his first time to experience the magic of watching a live football match, it was amazing. He had an amazing and incredible time.

Now that he is into it, it's a massive dent to my wallet. As long as he is happy, I am happy. His little brother will be joining us together with my wife soon.

Any Arsenal supporters out there?

C'mon Arsenal!

Loc mo Kiki?......im moving back to NW postcode area in March....know of any pinoy footie players in your area?...

badtrip talo sa 1st leg ng carling cup semi-final ang manutd sa derby, 1-0, buti na lang two legs ang semis, pwde pa makabawi sa old trafford sa 2nd leg..:P

wow! chelsea vs. manutd at old trafford this sunday; i hope we win 2-0, rooney & berba to score the goals :)..go manutd!!!! :)

man city has signed wayne bridge & continue to pursue roque sta.cruz of blackburn, westham's scott parker & craig bellamy..

arsenal are still keen on signing zenit st.petersberg's andre arshavin..

glory glory manutd!!!

3-0 vs chelsea at old trafford :)

goals by vidic (45'), rooney (63'), & berbatov (87')

what a fantastic display the red devils showed against the blues; convincingly beating them, galing talaga, what a tactic by sir alex to play fletcher & giggs in midfield & to throw in park in the mix, it won them the game :D

happy to see vidc & berbatov scoring again, too bad c.ronaldo's goal late in the 1st half was disallowed, only for vidic to score on the retake..

the red devils are piling on the pressure on the reds, with the reds only having a draw against stoke city, 0-0, manutd may be on top of the premiership by end of next week with the red only having a 5pt lead against manutd..go red devils!!! :)

was surprised at chelsea's tame display against man utd. vidic contained drogba, and chelsea's midfield stars lampard, deco and ballack were pretty much anonymous. cron was also quiet, i actually think it was park ji-sung and the ageless ryan giggs who ran the show.

on the la liga front, great pulsating encounter between barcelona and osasuna. who would've thought it would be the last-placed team in la liga to give mighty barca a fright? i actually thought we lost it once the blaugrana went 2-1 down. but the team dug deep, and we always have messi. what a wonder goal!

GO RAFA! thats the way the kops do it. bwahahahahaha. LONG LIVE RAFA!

hes right. Sir Alex is part of the Scotland Yard. and David Gill is holds a senior position at the English FA. No wonder they get their way around with referees. Fixture list, attitute towards referees, and the list goes on..

LONG LIVE RAFA!

i'm a big fan of rafa and i give him all the credit for bringing us the european cup back in 2005...

...BUT has he lost the plot?

his recent rant against sir alex is true (as all non man utd fans know), but what good would come of it? it only alienates rafa more from the english fa and the refs. i now expect refs to be even more biased against liverpool.

also, what a pathetic performance against stoke. without xabi alonso and gerrard pushed forward, we lacked creativity in the middle. and why play kuyt alone up front? rafa successfully converted him to a wide player and now he plays him as a lone target man ahead of torres or keane???

and speaking of keane, it took him a while but he's been scoring goals in the last few games. and now that he's found his form, he's benched?

rafa, please! you are testing my faith! please prove me wrong for doubting you...and soon!