The Football Thread

Labuyo

before i didn't think letting robbie keane go would affect liverpool but now seeing their options in attack, robbie could have been a better option for rafa, especially when he was starting to gel in his latter matches for liverpool..i think he obliged to letting keane go because he wasn't really the pick of rafa to be signed by liverpool, he preferred to sign gareth barry..

oo nga, barsa's attack is so potent but their defense is their achilles heal, scoring 3 goals will win you a match but if your defense is leaking goals, its hard to win, their formation of playing only 3 defenders i think also affects their defense, i prefer a 4 man defense because its more stable & protects the 2 center players from balls coming from wide areas...

manutd are the 2009 carling cup champions, beating tottenham in penalties, 4-1, the game ended 0-0 with both teams unable to break the deadlock despite added time..ben foster was a rock at goal, during the match as well as during the penalty shootout..sir alex fielded a side with several young players namely: gibson, welbeck, foster, & evans; this can only benefit the red devils more as more youngsters develop thru cup competition & contribute to the team in winning trophies..2 trophies down: 2009 club world cup champions & 2009 carling cup champions..3 more to go: FA cup, EPL & CL hehe..go red devils!!!! :)

oh man, barcelona is cracking under the pressure.

what a match though (atletico madrid 4 barca 3). best game of the year so far...

sayang dko napanuod ang laban...

and with duchess words...dpa nga tlga tapos ang laban. 4pts nlng gap ng real at barca! wooooot!

yup, its not over yet, 12 games left pa, a lot of things can happen, go manutd!!!..technically pala manutd has won 3 trophies, the community chest, fifa club world cup & carling cup hehehe pero most pundits don't count the community chest, at least my 2 na for the season :D

kabado pa din ako sa 2nd leg against inter milan, manutd should've scored an away goal at the san siro, delikado tuloy kahit nasa old trafford ang manutd sa 2nd leg, very potent ang attack ng inter, i hope we have the complete back 4 (evra, vidic, ferdinand, neville) available for the 2nd leg..

barsa really needs to fortify their defense, the late goals of atletico could've been prevented if not for sloppy defending, may halong malas din pero that's football..

6pts pa din ang lamang ng aston villa over arsenal, arsenal weren't able to capitalize on villa letting stoke draw 2-2, goalless draw nman gunnars against fulham, by the looks of it, with 12 games remaining and barring a slip-up by aston villa, villa will get the final CL slot..

Giggs: No let-up by United

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item214555/Giggs:-No-let-up-by-United/

Ryan Giggs insists there will be no complacency from Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League title race.

After pocketing the Carling Cup at Wembley on Sunday, United are back on league duty at Newcastle on Wednesday night.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson has previously claimed the trip to St James' Park was his side's priority for the week, Liverpool's defeat at Middlesbrough on Saturday might have changed the picture.

With a seven-point lead over Chelsea, who are now their closest challengers, and a game in hand, United appear to be in an impregnable position.

But Giggs, a veteran of 10 championship-winning campaigns, knows the danger that lies in thinking the trophy is secure.

"We are not getting complacent," he said.

"We have lost leads before and also won titles when we have come from behind.

"It is going to be hard because we have so many tough games coming up.

"If this club loses one game it is a disaster so we just have to maintain our current momentum."

Giggs' experience will be crucial in guiding United safely to the finishing line.

It is 18 years since the veteran Welshman made his debut against Everton, since when he has become the most decorated player in English football history.

The winner's medal Giggs picked up on Sunday was his 29th, an incredible achievement that may only be properly recognised long after the 35-year-old has retired.

Not that Giggs is worrying about that just now. As always, he is more interested in the challenges that lie ahead than reflecting on past glories.

"It doesn't feel like 18 years," he said.

"The time has gone quickly and I have been fortunate to play with so many great players and in so many great teams.

"But I don't really look back, I will have plenty of time to do that when I have finished. For now I just look forward."

The immediate focus is St James' Park, followed by Craven Cottage for an FA Cup quarter-final with Fulham before the Champions League return with Inter Milan.

By then, United will know more about how realistic their quintuple aspirations are.

While Ferguson refuses to believe it is a realistic prospect, it is those kinds of challenges that keep Giggs and his team-mates driving on, their incredible hunger for trophies only increasing with each success - just as it did in 1999.

"The momentum was with us in the treble year," Giggs said.

"We played well and had a lot of luck and kept winning.

"And when you are winning you can't wait for the next game.

"That is the way at the moment. We are hungry and want to improve as individuals, get better as a team and win every competition we enter."

*Grabe, Ryan Giggs has won 29 titles with Manchester United while Sir Alex has won 30 titles in 22 years of management of the club, galing talaga :)

Edited by _eRon_

nice win by manutd vs newcastle; eventhough they didn't play very well they were able to edge out a win thru wayne rooney and dimitar berbatov's goals; 7pts atop of the league with a game in hand; i hope we can win the league with 11 games to play, go manutd!! :)

*i hope we can win the 2nd leg of the CL against inter this coming week :D

nice statement win against fulham at craven cottage in the quarterfinal of the fa cup, manutd with a convincing 4-0 win, tevez 1st goal was luck & skill to head the goal near post despite konchesky closing in & schwarzer defending the goal, his 2nd was a sublime strike, schwarzer was well beaten with the power & accuracy of the strike..rooney & park also joined the goalfest to complete the statement win before their midweek match against inter at old trafford..with inter, having a bad spell of games before the CL quarterfinal match against manutd & with the liverpool clash looming next weekend, the fulham win will make both teams very wary of the offensive capabilities of the red devils :)...

Paid to coach, not to speak?

espnstar.com runs through the silly and disrespectful remarks made by Jose Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri this week.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item216599/Paid-to-coach,-not-to-speak/

Jose Mourinho

On Roma, Juventus and AC Milan

"I like intellectual honesty and it seems to me that there has been much manipulation of this recently.

"Lately, there has been no talk of Roma that have great players but will end the season empty handed. Nor has there been any talk of AC Milan, who are 12 points behind us and will end the season without any titles.

"Nor has there been any talk of Juve, who have collected many points due to refereeing mistakes.

"We have only won one game thanks to a refereeing mistake and that was against Siena."

On Juventus boss Ranieri

"I studied Italian five hours a day for many months to be able to communicate with you journalists and you think that I lacked respect?

"Who is Ranieri to speak? After five years in England, he had trouble saying good morning and good afternoon."

Claudio Ranieri

Responding to Mourinho's jibe at his club

"Mourinho has not responded to my comments? No problem, when we meet again if I remember what I want to say, then I will say it. Otherwise, I will not say anything, that is only Inter's style."

His racist remark after his team lost in the Coppa Italia

I did not like the entire direction of the match. I found the official was tough with us, on the field it seemed as if he was Chinese, as it was always yellow cards with us,

"It wasn't right to play the game now. The return leg is not for fifty days, yet we had to play this match in the middle of a very intense cycle [of matches]. We lost here, we'll see what we can do in the second-leg."

Damage limitation exercise

"Juventus played in China in the past, and I know the performance of Chinese referees," said Ranieri. "They are strict and respect the rules of FIFA. They blow their whistles for all fouls.

"Recently, the referees in Serie A have tended to follow the example set by the English Premier League and blow for fouls less and less."

"I don't like it [the English style]. Juventus have many games at the moment and we need more protection," said the Juve coach. "But against Lazio, the referee changed and blew his whistle for all fouls and gave yellow cards. So I said he was like a Chinese referee. I didn't complain about him."

"I will repeat my opinion - I don't like the English Premier League style. I hope that referees will be stricter and give my players more protection."

"I didn't intend to offend any Chinese people. I like China very much and the people very much. China is a great country."

Jose: Chelsea are embarrassing!

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-l...rrassing!-/

Mourinho, whose Inter Milan side will take on United in Wednesday's Champions League second leg at Old Trafford, poured scorn on how the Red Devils have managed to steamroll over their opponents with ease in the Premier League.

Chelsea and Liverpool are seven points off the league leaders, with United having a game in hand. Arsenal are not even close in catching up with Sir Alex Ferguson's men.

Mourinho claims that if he was still taking charge of Chelsea, United will not be dominating the Premier League. The Portuguese coach clinched the title in his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge.

"Manchester United are the best team in England but you have to ask how good has the Premier League been since I left?," Mourinho told the News of the World.

"Manchester United have won it with ease since I have gone because no manager has put a team together that can rival them But my teams always rival Manchester United and Sir Alex knows that.

"They are a great team, but if I was at a top club in England I think the title race might have been a lot closer this year."

The Inter boss also slammed Chelsea for their embarrassing showing in their league campaign this season, saying that Ferguson's players are not any better than the players in the Blues squad.

"Chelsea have had no stability, Arsenal are nowhere and Liverpool threatened but I don't think anybody really thought they were ever going to win it.

"I would not allow a team of mine to be so far behind. It is embarrassing in early March. Manchester United has a great squad, but are their players really that much better than Chelsea or Liverpool's?

"I don't think so. So something else must be the problem and somebody has to take responsibility for that. I beat Manchester with Chelsea and Porto. Now I am ready to beat them with Inter.

"I feel confident that if I had been at one of the big four clubs I would be close or maybe even above Manchester United."

*the special one is back hehehehe ang yabang tlga ni jose mourinho hehehehehe :)

manutd beat inter at old trafford 2-0 :) whew! buti na lng nakagoal early si vidic, sira gameplan ni mourinho hehehehe buti nga! the rooney-ronaldo connection was superb for the 2nd goal..inter threatened and the red devils were lucky that the header of ibrahimovic and stankovic's shot did not go in..we're off to the quarterfinals;

i'm happy the red devils were able to beat the curse of the past CL winners always getting booted out of the competition the next season in the last 16; manutd is the 1st team to do that since porto won the CL last 01-02 season; kasi porto tanggal sa last 16 the following year up to ac milan last season :)..

i'm also very happy that sir alex finally got his revenge over mourinho, mourinho was full of bravado during the hype before each leg of the tie; but his team was not up to the task; it wasn't like the chelsea he coached before, inter could not live up to their coach's cockiness, buti nga wahahahaha kaya ngayon he's all praises for manutd; i can still remember mourinho saying that zlatan ibrahimovic was the best player in the world; not c.ronaldo (nung nanalo siya ng world player of the year), kaya ang sarap na si c.ronaldo ang nakascore ng 2nd goal to boot inter out of the CL hehehe :D

whatever happens this weekend between manutd and liverpool, the red devils will have nothing to lose, they are currently on top of the EPL with a 7pt cushion with a game in hand; but not to say that sir alex will not treat this game seriously, especially now the reds are resurgent after beating real madrid convincingly in their last 16 tie, mataas ang morale ng liverpool, beating them in this game will take away their swagger, sana manalo manutd this weekend :)..

Edited by _eRon_

I was not able to watch the Man U - Inter Match.. but I enjoyed the Arsenal - AS Roma match..

@jaypok

well let's just wait and see.. I think Liverpool has a lot to offer til end of the season.. Not a Liverpool fan though.. I go for Man City.. I beleive they have the capability to reach a place for them to be eligible for a european competition next year..

and watch out Big Four.. Man City will be bigger by next year!!!